Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  4:28:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It won't be that far away from Qwest and it will be reasonably close to the OWH and FNB. I imagine that if they keep their prices reasonable, they could do some business at lunch and from Qwest attendees who have to buy lunch and don't want to spend $6 on a stale burger at the Q.

As for the southern school advantage in baseball; this has been known for years. Whether this hurts the holers or not is hard to know. I imagine that they will get more home games than Mich or MSU would, and more than MN or WI would, but then, one could pose the question of whether or not we need men's baseball and women's softball at UNL.

And now, I reach for the Nomex....
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  4:41:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's just not a very good baseball league...not really by any reason other than the weather.

There are 50 NAIA teams in Texas that would crush a mid-top level Big 10 team. That's just the way it is because of the amount of time during that season the teams can go outside.

That being said..I don't know how much it will hurt or help Nebraska. It will help to get away from the Texas schools and southern competition...but it will hurt in the longer run, because good players don't want to play up north. That's just the way it is and always has been.
Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  4:50:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

I know my opinion here is well known, and I don't mean to be such a Bookman about this....but WTF is Zesto's gonna do for the other 50 weeks a year? A Creighton baseball fans going to swamp the joint during those blazing hot mid April games? Are hotel guests/business people going to be swamping it?

Perhaps they got the land dirt cheap or even donated....but if not..I'm guessing the price of the land alone would not be worth setting up a business where 95% of your income happens 2 weeks per yaer.

I have been predicting all along that Zesto's (rosenblatt) will end up IN the Zoo. Now this wouldn't be on paper as part of the move downtown, you can't be obvious, we will move you here, help get you a great deal at this zoo, etc. etc. since the city and the zoo are not the same entity, but I think behind the seens it may have been part of the move. The only reason left for zestos on 13th is the zoo, and being at the back corner of the parking lot isn't exactly prime location.

Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  7:18:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That being said..I don't know how much it will hurt or help Nebraska. It will help to get away from the Texas schools and southern competition...but it will hurt in the longer run, because good players don't want to play up north. That's just the way it is and always has been.

I don't think it will help at all to get away from Texas. If anything we'd like to be in a conference with them for the very reason I thought everybody hated them, because they're good. Part of the reason a recruit picks a school is no doubt because they think that program will get them to the promised land but part of what gets that recruit to the pros, if that's even their goal, is not just the school they're picking but the one they're not picking who they'll get to play against. In other words, the competition can be just as important as the program itself. I mean I know I don't need to tell you that ajmav. You seem smart enough to know, as do many of the people on here.

I don't know about the NAIA argument because I've never seen them but I wouldn't go too far. The Big 10 is still decent baseball, just not the Big XII.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  11:23:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The NAIA is second to only the top tier of D1 schools for one reason and one reason only....no rules. (NCAA limits practice time to 25hrs per week...NAIA has no such guidelines) If you're looking to get drafted..and you don't want to go to class..where are you gonna go? Trust me, there are D1 thugs and rejects all over the top NAIA teams.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  11:33:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and some of Mike Evans's Bellevue University teams could have given D-I schools a run for their money.

Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 07/01/2010 :  12:34:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The NAIA is second to only the top tier of D1 schools for one reason and one reason only....no rules. (NCAA limits practice time to 25hrs per week...NAIA has no such guidelines) If you're looking to get drafted..and you don't want to go to class..where are you gonna go? Trust me, there are D1 thugs and rejects all over the top NAIA teams.

Good info. I did not know these things. So that sounds about right.
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  09:11:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.omaha.com/article/20100712/NEWS01/707129901#is-time-right-to-add-hilton-rooms

I'm positive the need for a larger hotel has been discussed earlier in this topic.

quote:
TOASTER: Yeah, I was thinking of packing it in. It's turning me into something I don't like. I'm not a moaner by nature, you know.
LISTER: No, by nature you're a toaster.
TOASTER: Yeah, it just strikes me that there might be something more. Something greater. Something unimaginably more splendid than heating bread.
-- RED DWARF Series I Episode 4, "Waiting For God"

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  09:05:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unbelievable!
quote:
The Omaha Royals plan to charge fans for parking in about three-fourths of the estimated 1,800 spaces.

About 900 of the spaces will cost $2. About 450 closest to the stadium, considered VIP parking, will cost $5. The 450 spots farthest from the entrance will be free.

Didn't these guys whine and complain that fans won't pay to park downtown?

http://omaha.com/article/20100802/NEWS01/708029917#parking-and-primo-parking

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mavfan85
The Writer

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  10:20:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
$2-5 is not as bad as the $8-12 it would cost to park downtown.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  10:22:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
figured you'd be the first one to say that. You're predictable with your bashing of this project.

Pretty big difference between $8 downtown and $2 in Sarpy. Also, although the article doesn't address it, I'm going to assume that the season ticket packages are going to include some sort of parking pass along with it. I could be wrong about that, but it would make sense.

If you remember, that was something the Royals suggested as a concession from MECA that their season ticket holders got parking passes, but they were told it was off the table. We'll see if they do something like that to entice season/partial packages; however, even if they don't, $2 is nothing. $8 is a substantial cost.

I'm sure you understand the difference.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  10:23:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also interesting to see in the same article that the franchise has confirmed the rumor that a name change is coming. Guess we can put the Omaha Royals to bed for good after September. I'm all for a new nickname. There is no real advantage to aligning yourself so closely with the Royals at this point.

Of course, with the attitude some have on here towards this move, I think they would think something like "Sarpy County White Flight" would be appropriate...

quote:
On Aug. 21, the team will kick off a campaign to select a new nickname. After fans submit suggestions, they can vote from a list of names. The winner will be chosen over the winter.

The Kansas City Royals' Class AAA team in Omaha has carried the parent club's nickname since its inception in 1969, with the exception of a three-year run from 1999 through 2001 when it was known as the Omaha Golden Spikes.

“I guarantee you ‘Omaha' will not change,” Cordaro said. “And we will not be the Golden Spikes, either. Even if that name gets submitted, it will not make the final list.

“This is the time for us to do everything new. New logos, new colors. We have the opportunity to do it now, if we are going to do it.”
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  10:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The fact was that $6 to park was too much. The club's surveys told them so. And yes, there will be free parking.

The name contest will be interesting to see what is decided.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  12:46:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Free parking downtown as well...likely closer than out at BFE. It's called "on street" parking.

And three years ago, the discussion wasn't so much about whether it's $2 or $5...it was the idea of paying to park in the first place.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  1:07:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no it wasn't. I distinctly remember the oroyals saying that $2-$3 was more in line with AAA parking fees not $6-$8. also, i remember them saying that they might have been willing to deal with parking fees if the city/meca were willing to budge on free parking for season ticket holders.

revisionist history.

this is pretty much exactly what I expected from them from the start and in line with statements they made over the last year.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  3:28:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two years ago, I did a quick survey.

http://huskermike.blogspot.com/2008/07/jumping-on-chalco-bandwagon-for-royals.html

Indianapolis $5, Oklahoma City $5, Des Moines $6

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  3:34:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so?

the oroyals don't have the same business model as those teams and we know that you are aware that their offer to play in the downtown ballpark was not under the same terms as those other cities.

Those numbers are basically irrelevant to the discussion at this point. Your argument originally was that the Royals said they couldn't afford to charge for parking and now they are. The fact is they never said that.

What they did say is that $6-$8 along with the fact of having to leave every june, lack of control of suites, lack of control of signage etc. made it a bad deal.

You're just trying to change the argument, like you always do, because you hate the royals and you hate the sarpy ballpark. period. You've been against this from the get go and now take every opportunity to bash all things royals and sarpy county. It gets old.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  6:41:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think TD is going to $8 like Qwest Center. Street parking is fine if you've got the time. I do it when I don't have kids but it can be a little bit of a walk with a 3 and 5 year old. Glad to see there's still going to be a free lot at our close neighbor in Sarpy.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  8:55:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

so?

the oroyals don't have the same business model as those teams and we know that you are aware that their offer to play in the downtown ballpark was not under the same terms as those other cities.

Those numbers are basically irrelevant to the discussion at this point. Your argument originally was that the Royals said they couldn't afford to charge for parking and now they are. The fact is they never said that.

What they did say is that $6-$8 along with the fact of having to leave every june, lack of control of suites, lack of control of signage etc. made it a bad deal.

You're just trying to change the argument, like you always do, because you hate the royals and you hate the sarpy ballpark. period. You've been against this from the get go and now take every opportunity to bash all things royals and sarpy county. It gets old.

Let's make one thing clear: I do not hate the Royals, but I am ambivalent towards them. But you are right, I hate the Sarpy County Stadium, or more accurately, I hate the idea of taxpayers building two stadiums in the metro area. I'm not going to repeat that tired debate; what's done is done.

I love how you twist this into a personal attack on myself and make up your story as this goes along. If you've paid any attention to this three year old thread, I've been consistent all along on this point. The only thing I've changed my mind on is the feasibility of the downtown stadium, and that's because a separate stadium for the Omaha Royals never made business sense. It didn't downtown, and it doesn't in Sarpy County. When the NCAA said that a new stadium was needed, that changed the dynamics of a downtown stadium.

Originally, the Royals claimed that their fans didn't want to pay to park, but eventually they changed that story. Then they claimed that $6 was excessive...and when I went to research it, I found out that $5-$6 was the norm. Don't believe me? Give me some examples; prove me wrong. I just checked two more: both Albuquerque and Round Rock also charge $5 to park. The cheapest I've found? Las Vegas at $4.

If you are going to ask me to defend MECA's negotiating position with the Royals, I'm not going to do that. MECA certainly could have done a better job of compromising, but I also realize that when MECA tried to negotiate, Sarpy County was already promising the Royals the world. A decision that it sounds like they already regret as the costs have increased. Something that I also predicted.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2010 :  10:38:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
as I've said before, you can cherry pick parking all you want, but you know as well as I do that parking wasn't the only issue for the Royals. If it had only been $6 parking, the Royals probably would have been downtown. The other teams you mention don't have to deal with a stadium that's two sizes too big, an outside management company that controls a majority of the advertising in the facility, a city event that requires them to relocate to another city for two weeks during the prime months, etc.

It's apples to oranges and because of that, your selective targeting of parking really doesn't mean much of anything here.

Also, you do realize that parking is about to go to $8. Obviously, the Royals wouldn't have had any control over that either. Do you think $8 is excessive? What about when it goes to $10 in a couple more years when the city of Omaha STILL can't get its bottom line in order? Do you think $8 or $10 is too much for parking for minor league baseball? As I've said before, there's a huge difference between $8 and $2 and you know it.

The only reason why I point the finger at you is your like to move the goalposts back and forth to fit your arguments all the while cherry picking singular issues that don't really show the whole picture.

I guess we'll find out in a few short years whether or not 2 stadiums makes business sense and if the sarpy stadium is destined for doom. I don't think it is.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  06:55:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, you do realize that parking is about to go to $8. Obviously, the Royals wouldn't have had any control over that either. Do you think $8 is excessive? What about when it goes to $10 in a couple more years when the city of Omaha STILL can't get its bottom line in order? Do you think $8 or $10 is too much for parking for minor league baseball? As I've said before, there's a huge difference between $8 and $2 and you know it.

The only reason why I point the finger at you is your like to move the goalposts back and forth to fit your arguments all the while cherry picking singular issues that don't really show the whole picture.

Sacramento currently charges $10 for parking.

And the main reason I brought this up is because back in the early days of this debate, Alan Stein said that parking was a big deal for them. Later, he corrected himself...

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  07:14:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and to that I once again say that Omaha is not the same market as Sacramento. The cost of living isn't the same as omaha. the stadium situation isn't the same as omaha.

apples and oranges.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  10:18:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

and to that I once again say that Omaha is not the same market as Sacramento. The cost of living isn't the same as omaha. the stadium situation isn't the same as omaha.

apples and oranges.

Yep. Fans will be stunned. They will complain on TV and in the sports blogs. They will pay it. Life will go on. If you like baseball, you will either cut down on snacks or carpool or otherwise cut some other item.

We will hear about it on USC for a show or two, but then it will fade.

Sacramento and the other PCL cities have high housing costs, and some increased costs of other sectors, but mostly housing. People there who have the money for pro-sports don't feel the parking fee either.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  10:23:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i guess the other difference too is how many of those other teams with parking costs that mike keeps pointing to get a cut of those parking fees or even get to keep the whole amounts. As we know, the Royals wouldn't have gotten any of the $6-$8 downtown, but get most if not all of the $2-$5 in Sarpy. Huge difference especially when you combine it with the other ancillary problems I've mentioned before.

I would think that the Royals would get a ton of sympathy on this board. MECA has been a boogeyman and an ogre to most Maverick fans especially the ones posting here basically since the Qwest Center opened. The call for a new arena for the Mavs has been going on around here for years. Yet, there's a group of the same posters who think Roger is the devil and MECA is pure evil who called for the Royals to just lump it and take whatever deal roger offered them to play downtown because it's somehow in the best interests of the city. Seems a little hypocritical to me. You do realize that the same complaints that the Mavs have had for years about MECA and not controlling their own stadium would be shared by the Royals had they played downtown.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  12:43:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
interesting. I guess Sarpy is trying to respond to the negative media spin on the ballpark from sources like the OWH who spent a ton of time trying to derail the project to begin with and has been pretty much against it ever since.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100803/NEWS01/708039917/1101866

also wonder who is using my handle to make comments to this article. The comments at the bottom are not from me. slightly stalkerish.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  12:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I would think that the Royals would get a ton of sympathy on this board. MECA has been a boogeyman and an ogre to most Maverick fans especially the ones posting here basically since the Qwest Center opened. The call for a new arena for the Mavs has been going on around here for years. Yet, there's a group of the same posters who think Roger is the devil and MECA is pure evil who called for the Royals to just lump it and take whatever deal roger offered them to play downtown because it's somehow in the best interests of the city. Seems a little hypocritical to me. You do realize that the same complaints that the Mavs have had for years about MECA and not controlling their own stadium would be shared by the Royals had they played downtown.

And if Trev Alberts were to go to Dave Heineman or Jim Suttle and say "build us a new arena or else", I'll be among the first to tell Trev where to stick it.

If Alan Stein came up with a plan where they were building the new stadium themselves, I'd be telling them good job. I'd still be ridiculing the location...but I wouldn't have a complaint.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  1:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand what you're saying and I could respect that if that was your line to begin with. I know we've argued this back and forth but you originally said that you opposed two baseball parks in the metro omaha area. period.

when I challenged you on a uno arena, you changed it to you only had a problem with two publically funded ballparks as a way to support having 4 arenas in the omaha area.

of course, omaha would be doing the infrastructure work on any uno arena with taxpayer money, but that's not the point of this.

I just have a hard time reconciling what you say now with what you said first.

either way, Sarpy thinks this is a good deal for them. Whether that's true or not, remains to be seen. Stein didn't hold a gun to anyones head. Sarpy did this of their own choosing. If they think this will help the county in the long run, then that's their decision. They will be held accountable by the voters if it ultimately turns out to be a disaster.

No matter what it sounds like, I'm not 100% convinced it'll be a complete success, but I do believe it stands a very good chance of being a wonderful investment for the people of sarpy county and as a baseball fan, i'm ecstatic.
Go to Top of Page

dartben
Sophomore Mav

404 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  8:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

What about when it goes to $10 in a couple more years when the city of Omaha STILL can't get its bottom line in order? Do you think $8 or $10 is too much for parking for minor league baseball?

Sorry, but one has nothing to do with the other. MECA runs its venues (Qwest, Civic, and I think Rosenblatt now) at an operational profit due to things like parking fees. That has as much to do with Omaha's bottom line as the parking fees at the airport.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  10:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:
Originally posted by brad

quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I think the Royals are looking for someone else to pay for most of the stadium. Also, when we've discussed a UNO coliseum for hockey on this property, parking is always raised as a concern. The parking needs for UNO hockey and the Royals should be somewhat consistent.

Royals said at one time that they would commit 25 million to a new stadium.

www.bradwilliamsphotography.com brad@bradwilliamsphotography.com
GO MAVS!!!

Never heard that. The Royals previously said "give us $25 million and we'll build a stadium." Reportedly, that number has been lowered to $15 million, but I haven't heard what the Royals are willing to pay in.

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4455&whichpage=23

How have I been changing my story again? This is what I posted two years ago on this topic.

Yes, I have been opposed to a second stadium, because the only proposals have been for government to pay for most of it.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2010 :  10:14:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dartben

quote:

What about when it goes to $10 in a couple more years when the city of Omaha STILL can't get its bottom line in order? Do you think $8 or $10 is too much for parking for minor league baseball?

Sorry, but one has nothing to do with the other. MECA runs its venues (Qwest, Civic, and I think Rosenblatt now) at an operational profit due to things like parking fees. That has as much to do with Omaha's bottom line as the parking fees at the airport.

the city gets 70% of the revenues from parking, not meca. Yes, much of that money goes to pay off the Qwest Center, but the parking funds do not really go to MECA's bottom line. just figured I'd set you straight on that one.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100610/NEWS01/706109804
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000