Page: of 107

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  12:38:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

also, most of what you said as reasons for UNO needing their own facility can be used for the royals. isn't the royals getting bumped too many times for other events at the heart of the stadium debate from the get go? also, too far from campus can be changed to too far from their demographic for the royals.

The Royals need a practice facility? I haven't seen any reference to that.

In any event, the big difference between UNO and the Royals is that the Royals are demanding that government pay for the majority of the stadium. I think that's a mistake because (a) we already have a stadium and (b) I remain unconvinced of the business case for the Royals. (Just because other minor league teams have extorted new stadiums doesn't qualify. I also don't believe the Royals were at risk of moving with 50% local ownership. I also know that many of you disagree, and we've covered that ad nauseum.) Nothing has been said about how UNO will build an arena, but my expectation is that it'll be mostly financed through the University (donations and building revenues).

When you are dealing with your own money, you pretty much have the right to invest it however you please. But this stadium is being build by the taxpayers of Sarpy County for the most part.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  1:35:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mr. Buffett and Mr. Scott said make the best decision for the business. If that meant moving out of state they approved that. The risk was real and there. I am surprised they ended up staying in the metro.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  3:02:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no. it was more along the line of you saying that the mavs are too far from campus down town while the royals would be too far from their demographic downtown. you saying the mavs get bumped too much at the qwest is the same as saying the royals get bumped too much for other events if they move downtown too.

I never mentioned a practice facility at all.

and as I said before, per your own words, you were against a 2nd stadium because you don't believe that the city needs a 2nd one. period. Yes, you have been consistent in saying that you are against public funding for the royals stadium, but you moved the goalposts when you said that you were ok with the mavs new stadium as long as they were paying for it by themselves.

If the metro doesn't need a 2nd baseball park, publicly funded or not because you say you'd be against it regardless of the funding, it certainly doesn't need a 4th arena regardless of the funding.
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  3:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You make my brain hurt.

---
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2010 :  3:26:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M68GeL8PafE

quote:
TOASTER: Yeah, I was thinking of packing it in. It's turning me into something I don't like. I'm not a moaner by nature, you know.
LISTER: No, by nature you're a toaster.
TOASTER: Yeah, it just strikes me that there might be something more. Something greater. Something unimaginably more splendid than heating bread.
-- RED DWARF Series I Episode 4, "Waiting For God"

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2010 :  1:32:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like there will be a Big 12 baseball tournery in OKC afterall.....:)
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  11:58:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to be interesting to see ticket prices at the new park. Here's the first set:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100619/NEWS01/706199859#club-seats-can-be-yours-for-1-550
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2010 :  12:18:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ORoyals club seat tickets are $1000 for 72 games. Include wait staff/in-seat service. Located behind home plate/net. Access to private club that has interior and exterior. Club has full-service bar. Diamond club seats are located on the balcony of the bar and are padded theatre-style seats and include all the same benefits.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  12:07:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for 30 million bucks, I'm a bit interested to see just what lap of luxury these fans are in for. Although I will say..I went to the CWS, and TV doens't do it justice. The inside of that place is an absolute toilet...worse than it's ever been. The field looks like ass and there's no way parking could be worse anywhere.

It jacked up an entire city, but I don't blame the Royals for giving Roger the middle finger one bit.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  1:05:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After watching 17,000 people show up at the Qwest Center for Zig Ziglar and company during morning rush hour, downtown Omaha should be able to handle the College World Series as long as ESPN doesn't try to have a 9 am first pitch. Parking was absolutely not a problem. Traffic was a bit of one, but spreading the arrivals over a few hours will help ... as will eliminating the 13th Street bottleneck.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  2:20:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think parking downtown will be a huge improvement over Rosenblatt. I think traffic will be OK most of the time because the arrivals will be after morning rush hour. Evening might be a little rough.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  9:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe...but I drive around the Qwest Center every day between 5:30 and 6 pm, and I've got to tell you, that Zig's motivation seminar on Monday, the Creighton NIT 6 pm game last year, and the NCAA first round two years ago didn't cause much of an impact in traffic.

I may be eating my words one year from now, but I think it's going to be just fine.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2010 :  10:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
count me as one of those who agrees with AJ that Rosenblatt is an absolute dump anymore. I, personally, am not going to miss it one bit. I also am not going to miss making the trench run down narrow neighborhood streets lined with cars while attempting to shoehorn my car into a 9 foot parking place north of the interstate and then walking a mile mostly uphill. It is time for a change. It really is.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  09:25:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have mixed feelings on Rosenblatt. I hate the concourses under the stadium on a hot day. Brutal for air flow down there. Once you are in your seat and it's full like it is during the CWS it is a cool place. I also like how it sits on the hill, a very cool drive up to the stadium for the teams. I love all the tents and everything around the blatt during the series as well. I hate once you get too far from the stadium, it just becomes a mess down there.

I think the new stadium will be nice but not very distinguised (that's not a knock on the design either). It will be just another new stadium in a downtown setting. I think the area around it will be a lot of fun.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  12:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
read on another message board that the Big 10 tournament routinely draws about 12k fans for the whole tournament. wow. If Omaha or lincoln can't own that tourney in the next few years, something is wrong.

I could see NU trying to get it to Haymarket, and that would be fine with me; however, if the Big 10 wants a neutral site, they've got two great options in Omaha. TD Ameritrade would be a little big for that event, but it could be a selling point for the conference to play there since no Big 10 champ has reached omaha since 1984. could be their only chance.

If they want a smaller ballpark but want it off campus, they would be wise to take it to the Sarpy ballpark. they'd get the same atmosphere there that they'd get at haymarket.

at any of the 3 stadiums between omaha-lincoln, i could see them upping the attendance of that event from 12k to 25-30k as even a very conservative estimate.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  12:40:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They probably only draw that much because it's really bad baseball. The Big 10 has a long history of being one of the worst conferences in the country. (Not sour grapes..just sayin).

All time CWS appearances
Ohio State, 4 (last appearance in 1967)
Iowa, 1 1972
Michigan, 7 (last appearance in 1984)
Michigan St, 1954
Minnesota, 5 (last appearance in 1977)
Penn State, 5 (last appearance in 1973)

That being said, I have no doubt Nebraskans wouldn't make a party out of it, and draw 80,000 over a weekend.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  1:05:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, i think they can certainly do better than 12k as long as NU makes it past the first round. Even if NU baseball is downgraded, people will still flock to a special event with a conference championship on the line if the huskers are involved.

If MECA believes they can make a buck on the Mo Valley tourney at TD Ameritrade park, they can make at least that much, if not more on a Big 10 tournament downtown or Sarpy could jump in on it if for no other reason than the Big 10 and Nebraska is a bigger name than the MO Valley and Creighton. Mo valley baseball may be marginally better than the Big 10, but I still think it'll come down to people thinking the Big 10 tourney is a bigger deal.

I guess I'm being optimistic, but I don't see a way it won't work.

If anything, I see this as an opportunity to raise the bar for Big 10 baseball, if only incrementally. NU immediately becomes the most accomplished program in the league with the best facilities. The Big 10 would be wise to try to cultivate the league as much as possible in omaha/lincoln.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  4:38:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to the Big 10 is going to hurt Nebraska baseball. We won't be upping the ante at all either because we stink right now. The Big 10 is only decent at baseball and won't ever really get much better. The college baseball landscape has changed such that I wouldn't be surprised if a Big 10 team never made it to Omaha again. Good players just don't go up there to play. Those that think they have a shot will go somewhere south. That being said, we could hold a good Big 10 tourney.
Go to Top of Page

SecretAgentMav
Hobey Baker Nominee, 2004

Congo, Democratic Republic of
7923 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  4:45:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

They probably only draw that much because it's really bad baseball. The Big 10 has a long history of being one of the worst conferences in the country. (Not sour grapes..just sayin).

All time CWS appearances
Iowa, 1 1972
Michigan St, 1954

Much of that is skewed by a lack of early-season home games and outdoor practice.

...Last night I had the strangest dream...
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  5:45:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by buetane

Going to the Big 10 is going to hurt Nebraska baseball. We won't be upping the ante at all either because we stink right now. The Big 10 is only decent at baseball and won't ever really get much better. The college baseball landscape has changed such that I wouldn't be surprised if a Big 10 team never made it to Omaha again. Good players just don't go up there to play. Those that think they have a shot will go somewhere south. That being said, we could hold a good Big 10 tourney.

oh, no doubt about it this move killed Nebraska baseball as we became accustomed to it from 2000-2006. It was on life support anyway, but this killed it.

I'm never going to say never, but the chances of NU or any other team making the CWS more than once every generation are very slim. I think a Big 10 team will get there again, but it'll be a huge cinderella run.

Still, if nothing else, NU could likely become a dynasty in Big 10 baseball. Sure, they won't attract the kind of talent they did in the Big XII days, but they should more than compete against their peers in the Big 10. As I said, NU immediately is the most accomplished program with the best facilities in the conference. Have you seen what they are going to be competing against? Look at the facilities in that conference...

http://nebraska.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=284&tid=134609767&mid=134609767&sid=928&style=2

If they can't dominate that league, they have more problems than anyone would have ever dreamed. There is no committment to the sport in that league. It's like glorified high school ball. There is no reason why Omaha or Lincoln shouldn't be able to take control of that tournament quickly and make it our own.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  9:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well we agreed up to that last paragraph. It's a little better than you're giving it credit for. Minnesota beat Fullerton and had a shot at that regional. I agree it will be a bit of a Cinderella for a Big 10 team to get to Omaha but I wouldn't count on them winning it every year. We are the most south team which would seem to bode well but there's not much of a difference between us and them and once we're there, we'll be lumped with them in the mind's of a potential recruit. We should do well, say be near the top every year but not win it every year.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2010 :  10:54:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
well, if nothing else, they will certainly have a facilities advantage over all of the other teams in the Big 10. those stadiums are a joke outside of penn st.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  1:54:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A new Zesto's will be built just south of TD Ameritrade Park.

quote:
A staple of the College World Series will set up shop next to the city's new downtown ballpark.

At a press conference Tuesday, Mayor Jim Suttle announced that Zesto - a popular spot for burgers, ice cream and shakes - plans to buy a strip of city-owned land at the southwest corner of 12th and Mike Fahey Streets.

Omaha attorney Mike Kelley, who co-owns Zesto, has previously confirmed he was in negotiations with the city to buy land for a shop near the new ballpark.

He said Tuesday that he plans to pay the city $270,000 for the land.

He said that he and co-owner Patty Ferguson have not decided whether to keep the Rosenblatt Zesto going. That will depend on how business is there after Rosenblatt is torn down.

“Whether we make it or not remains to be seen,” he said. “After all, the (Henry Doorly) Zoo is still there.”

Go to Top of Page

krutov 9
All-Star Mav

Russia
2987 Posts

Posted - 06/29/2010 :  3:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another vendor in the Blatt area, The Dugout, who has at least 2 t-shirt tents on 13th street is looking to open a brick-n-mortar store in the TD area....
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  11:40:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have been shocked if Zesto's did not move. I think a lot of the other tent vendors are going to just have tents downtown.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  12:46:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know my opinion here is well known, and I don't mean to be such a Bookman about this....but WTF is Zesto's gonna do for the other 50 weeks a year? A Creighton baseball fans going to swamp the joint during those blazing hot mid April games? Are hotel guests/business people going to be swamping it?

Perhaps they got the land dirt cheap or even donated....but if not..I'm guessing the price of the land alone would not be worth setting up a business where 95% of your income happens 2 weeks per yaer.

The ridiculousness and absurdity of this whole 2 stadium situation grows stronger with each passing year. What an absolute disaster.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  12:49:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SecretAgentMav

quote:

All time CWS appearances
Iowa, 1 1972
Michigan St, 1954

Much of that is skewed by a lack of early-season home games and outdoor practice.

No, those are facts. Unless Al Gore is DEAD RIGHT ON about Global warming...don't look for those numbers to change or anything. I realize I'm opinionated...but college baseball is something I know NOTHING about.
Go to Top of Page

krutov 9
All-Star Mav

Russia
2987 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  3:03:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think I read in the WH that Zesto paid $270k for their spot. Not sure where it is though. Bought it from the city I believe the article read...
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  3:16:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That seems awfully cheap...perhaps they gave them a deal? That's a pretty scary commitment for them...considering there isn't...and won't be much action down there during the summer months. (IE - no concerts etc)

Perhaps the auto mechanic/UPS driver baseball league games will pack them in?
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2010 :  3:22:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by SecretAgentMav

quote:

All time CWS appearances
Iowa, 1 1972
Michigan St, 1954

No, those are facts. Unless Al Gore is DEAD RIGHT ON about Global warming...don't look for those numbers to change or anything. I realize I'm opinionated...but college baseball is something I know NOTHING about.

But they are indeed facts BECAUSE of a lack of early season home games which drives the more talented players to southern schools. Which is why I said this is a blow to Nebraska baseball.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000