Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  1:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'd say it was more about moving closer to the fans in their demographic. you know, the young families with kids who are the ones they are maketing to in the first place. The ones that aren't as likely to drive down to south o on a tuesday night to watch the royals. They have plenty of those families in millard, papillion, la vista, & gretna.

Sure, they are likely to alienate a portion of their core south o fanbase, but it's not like they were getting massive amounts of people from south o to come to those games anyway. how many are they realistically getting from north o & council bluffs. I'd guess not many.

I also disagree with alienating bellevue. sure, the chandler road area northeast bellevue people to an extent, but those who live on cornhusker south will find it very convenient to jump on 370 and ride west to the new ballpark. maybe even more convenient than taking the jfk up to 13th st.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  2:37:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't just blame MECA either. At no point when the stadium DT was being designed, planned, whatever did the Royals seem to fit in the discussions (once the NCAA blew out the movable seats idea). Once the city and the NCAA got together on what was needed to get the 25 year deal (which is a good thing), they went to the Royals to negotiate a stadium lease, for a stadium where minor league baseball needs was not even an after thought. If Sarpy had not stepped up, I fully believe the Royals would be headed to Sugarland.

I don't think the 12 minute team will always hold up either. The times to and from DT and currently to Rosenblatt can vary greatly due to traffic flows. Weeknight games can be rough heading east on 80 and for the Sunday games as well (due to the Zoo).

370 will not be a bad route for people from Bellevue. I just don't thing you're looking at that big of a difference for a lot of people around the metro. The Sarpy detractors (and I can't wait for their "unbiased" reviews when the stadium opens) I believe have oversold the remoteness and distance of this stadium and the commute times.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  3:31:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Going to be a solid project...hope the ORoyals can sell it and make it a great project.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  3:37:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to be the first to say that I'm biased though. I live on 90th and 370. Still, when I used to live in other areas of town, I wouldn't have seen a difference between 370 & 13th street at this point. There's just nothing at all that draws anyone to that area anymore and that's been part of the problem for the royals for years. Even the people that live in that area don't really support the team. Not alot of money in that neighborhood either.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  5:02:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

I'm going to be the first to say that I'm biased though. I live on 90th and 370. Still, when I used to live in other areas of town, I wouldn't have seen a difference between 370 & 13th street at this point. There's just nothing at all that draws anyone to that area anymore and that's been part of the problem for the royals for years. Even the people that live in that area don't really support the team. Not alot of money in that neighborhood either.

To be fair to the area around the zoo, there is more there than meets the eye. The zoo, the art place on 13th and Bancroft, the Lauritzen Gardens, the increasing number of good restaurants on 13th between Pacific and the stadium (Big Horn Mountain BBQ all the way to the Bohemian Cafe and the Ethnic Sandwich shop), the Sokol, etc. It is just that the Royals never tried to tie anything together.

How about lunch at Louie M's and an afternoon game? Best burgers in the city and not far from the blatt. Did we ever see that promotion? How about a Taco Truck contest for the best mobile tacos? Ever see that? These are South O traditions now, and Dos De Oro's does make the best Carne Adovada outside of Albuquerque. That would be fun to taste their specialties and catch a game.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  5:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The ORoyals market, whick is the minor league market, is now families with disposable incomes. And yes the ORoyals have various promotions, but not any that cross between 2 entities on the same day.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  08:12:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pretty much everything you listed bigredmed are things that do not appeal to young families with disposable income. the only thing on there that really fits that bill is the zoo and you're probably not taking the family to do the zoo and a royals game in the same day. mom & dad from la vista likely aren't packing their kids up to take them to the bankroft art place followed by dinner at the bohemian cafe and then tie it all together with a royals game.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  12:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should the Royals be targeting "families with disposable income"? Far be it from me to tell the Royals who their audience should be, but most families I know spend their evenings and weekends at activities (soccer, baseball, volleyball, softball, music lessons, swimming lessons, etc.). Not every night, mind you (though I do know some that do)...but enough that season tickets or even most ticket plans aren't terribly practical.

Or is this target audience the result of where they ended up? Place at the edge of the metro area, they know they have to target families in Papillion, Gretna, and old town Millard since they've moved away from most area businesses and cattle generally don't have disposable income.

And if families were their target market, you'd think that their current location 1 block west of the biggest family destination for 180 miles in any direction would be a huge boon.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  1:35:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
who do you think they are targeting right now with their "fun rules" slogan? If they were targeting 30-50 somethings they could just as easily have their slogan as "BEER RULES!" and have every single night as dollar beer night. They've done nothing but paint minor league baseball as an affordable "family" event for years now. This is both obvious and common sense.

Everybody is busy and you're certainly not going to fill 6k seats a night with "baseball purists" and 20-30 something singles. Once again, families are the obvious and logical choice and that's before you even reach the whole notion of marketing to kids to grow lifetime interest in your product/sport.

Your statement about the zoo is not really a valid point. The zoo is a full day event for parents with young children. As I mentioned, they are likely not going to do both. So, the draw of the Royals in South O is really not related to the zoo at all. Have you ever spent a whole day in the heat with a few kids? I can pretty much guarantee you're not going to follow up that experience with several more hours sitting at Rosenblatt.

You're really starting to come off like you're grasping at straws with your agenda of hate towards all things not located in Douglas County. Just saying.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  2:12:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think families are a big draw for them, and I do think the Fun Rules campaign reflects that. I think they know their audience pretty well based on their upswing in attendance since they've taken over. Obviously it's not the only audience they target though. I think Thirsty Thursdays is obviously the night they target a lot of twentysomethings.

They've done well with their existing season ticket holder's moving with them. The renewals they've received for next year are way ahead of where anybody thought they would be right now (I heard this on Martie Corero's last appearance on Grow Omaha).

The zoo is a great attraction but I'm not sure it was that great for the O Royals right next door. I know for my family we very rarely (maybe once) did both together. The zoo is so big, that's not much left in my kids tank after we've hit the zoo. So I don't really see the zoo has a huge boon to the Royals in their current location.....

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  2:28:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i was recently told by martie cordero that they expect to have all of the permanent seats sold out for every game before opening day next year. That would only leave ga's on the berms/picnic areas for walk up. A little of an overestimation? we'll see. I think it's possible.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  2:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't see every seat being sold for the entire season, that does not seem realistic to me. I plan on the berm seating a lot.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/28/2010 :  10:14:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Your statement about the zoo is not really a valid point. The zoo is a full day event for parents with young children. As I mentioned, they are likely not going to do both. So, the draw of the Royals in South O is really not related to the zoo at all. Have you ever spent a whole day in the heat with a few kids? I can pretty much guarantee you're not going to follow up that experience with several more hours sitting at Rosenblatt.

Almost did that tonight. Got off early, and took my daughter to the zoo this afternoon. We have a zoo pass, so we don't make the zoo an "all day" event. I seriously thought about heading to Zesto's, then going to some of the ball game tonight...but decided against it since I had a couple of errands that I needed to run anyway.

Try again.

Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2010 :  09:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oroyals have a 1800 season ticket goal. They will restrict accounts to certain limits and overall will cap around 2000-2200 season tickets to make sure there are plenty of fixed seats for group sales. Should be approx 4000-4200 seats each night avail for group and party sales. Want to make sure that groups are taken care of and that the seats are used and not empty.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2010 :  5:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:

Almost did that tonight. Got off early, and took my daughter to the zoo this afternoon. We have a zoo pass, so we don't make the zoo an "all day" event. I seriously thought about heading to Zesto's, then going to some of the ball game tonight...but decided against it since I had a couple of errands that I needed to run anyway.

Try again.

that's you. i'd bet the house you're in the minority.

most people i know make a couple of trips to the zoo even with a zoo pass. it pretty much consumes your day. It's worse with young kids. They don't really have the endurance for both on a hot summer day.

also love that your best argument in this case is that you thought about doing it, but still didn't.

try again. your argument fails. It just doesn't hold up logically.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/29/2010 :  11:41:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you only go to the zoo twice a year, why would you bother buying a zoo pass?

But hey, if you want to believe that I'm just a Sarpy County hater, go right ahead. But go back and research what I've said about that first please. I've been against the government building any baseball stadium solely for the Royals; it's a bad use of taxpayer funds. (The CWS is a completely different animal; even if it only lasts 12 days, it's 12 days that pays the freight.)

Bottom line is I didn't think that Sarpy County could build this stadium for $26 million, and I don't think they can build it for $31 million either. Maybe $35 million with corners being cut. The "new stadium smell" will make the stadium seem successful early on, but I wonder just how much of an attendance increase the Royals will see in a 6000 seat stadium when they averaged 5500 last season. Selling every seat in the stands every night (those 42 degree drizzly nights in April as well as those 98 degree nights in July) only means a 10% increase. Those berm seats will be very popular on a night like tonight, and they could draw some 8k-9k crowds the first year on weekends. But they won't have those occasional 15k-20k nights (like the 4th of July Fireworks) to boost the average.

And I think drawing those types of crowds is going to be difficult on an ongoing basis on the edge of the metro area. Maybe there is an untapped market in Papillion, Millard, and Gretna that is just waiting to explode, and I'll be proven wrong.

But when I hear people say they don't want to drive downtown for a game because it's "too far"...that should send warning signs when the drivetime from I-680 & Dodge is essentially the same for downtown and the farm on 370.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  10:46:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Royals stadium is more for us locals and families. The CWS has grown in cost that it's not a good event for younger kids. Just too much of a cost to it. The CWS is good for the city brings in a lot of out of towners. The Royals are a much more affordable family friendly event for those of us that live here year round.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  10:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The DT stadium will be successful for the CWS but long term I doubt much more. The UFL will be there for a year, maybe two. It may do OK for Omaha but the league itself will fail. Does anybody really see Creighton drawing more than 2k to the stadium. Look how hard it is for UNO to fill the Qwest and they have a much larger fan base than Creighton baseball, and a much larger venue to fill. When is the Independent team going to be announced? For me the $31 or $35 million dollar stadium will get a lot more use than the $140 million stadium downtown.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  11:06:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think Mike's anti-Sarpy, he will just come out against anything other than the Royals playing downtown. Since UNO has been in the Qwest this message board has been filled with all of the thing wrong with MECA. How they treat UNO fans, how they keep concessions, how UNO is treated as a tenant, and how unfavorable the lease is. We've also seen UNO with good fans and a solid size fan base try to make it work in a building that dwarfs almost any in college hockey. The Royals would be fighting these same exact battles at TD Ameritrade. The only part is they would be in a stadium that dwarfs ALL of the other minor leagues parks nationwide. They would not just be kicked out for the state wrestling, they get booted for weeks too.

I wanted the Royals DT but when all was said and done, the stadium and deal they got in Sarpy was such much better for them than what was done downtown. That downtown stadium was built only with the CWS in mind. Everything else is just being put in as an afterthought.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  12:04:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

The DT stadium will be successful for the CWS but long term I doubt much more. The UFL will be there for a year, maybe two. It may do OK for Omaha but the league itself will fail. Does anybody really see Creighton drawing more than 2k to the stadium. Look how hard it is for UNO to fill the Qwest and they have a much larger fan base than Creighton baseball, and a much larger venue to fill. When is the Independent team going to be announced? For me the $31 or $35 million dollar stadium will get a lot more use than the $140 million stadium downtown.

Greg

I never thought Creighton would fill the Qwest Center...so I wouldn't bet on anything. My objection to the Royals stadium isn't that it's not downtown; I still would have been against a second city-owned stadium even if it was downtown. I just don't see a need for two ballparks in the Omaha area. From my perspective, I'm glad the city isn't paying for two...but I think the metro area would be better off if there were only one.

In terms of economic activity, I think the downtown stadium will draw more people than the Sarpy Ballpark. Use is a relative thing, and if you are referring to dates in use...well, yes. Sarpy will win that battle. But when TD Ameritrade Park is in use, it'll do better.

The CWS will draw it's usual 300k or so spectators. I'm more optimistic that the UFL will succeed, because I think the NFL will recognize the value of a developmental league. That'll draw close to another 100k or so. Add in a few Creighton baseball games (and 2 CU/NU games). Oh, and TD Ameritrade will also begin to host post-season college baseball tournaments. They've won the bid for the 2011 MVC tournament, and have bid for the 2012 Big XII tourney. Look for MECA to get into a rotation with the MVC and the Big XII/Ten tournaments.

Add in a couple of concerts as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Warren Buffett's Berkshire meeting also starts taking advantage of the baseball field as well.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  12:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't think Mike's anti-Sarpy, he will just come out against anything other than the Royals playing downtown. Since UNO has been in the Qwest this message board has been filled with all of the thing wrong with MECA. How they treat UNO fans, how they keep concessions, how UNO is treated as a tenant, and how unfavorable the lease is. We've also seen UNO with good fans and a solid size fan base try to make it work in a building that dwarfs almost any in college hockey. The Royals would be fighting these same exact battles at TD Ameritrade. The only part is they would be in a stadium that dwarfs ALL of the other minor leagues parks nationwide. They would not just be kicked out for the state wrestling, they get booted for weeks too.

I wanted the Royals DT but when all was said and done, the stadium and deal they got in Sarpy was such much better for them than what was done downtown. That downtown stadium was built only with the CWS in mind. Everything else is just being put in as an afterthought.

Greg

You couldn't have possibly summed it up better. With as much as those on these message boards despise MECA, I can't believe that those same people wanted to shoehorn the Royals into the same situation just because they believe it was good for the city. I still firmly believe that as a business, it was up to the Royals to do what was best for them and that was never playing downtown in TD Ameritrade park.

As you said before, this really was all about either keeping the Royals by finding a seperate home for them or losing them to Texas. It appears that some were more than happy to wave goodbye to them because, once again, they think it is somehow "good for the city", but I didn't want to be relegated to some 4th rate independant league team and then be told by Roger and all the pro-downtown baseball people how much better off we are for it.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  12:36:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Greg

My objection to the Royals stadium isn't that it's not downtown; I still would have been against a second city-owned stadium even if it was downtown. I just don't see a need for two ballparks in the Omaha area. From my perspective, I'm glad the city isn't paying for two...but I think the metro area would be better off if there were only one.

so, then i take it that you must obviously agree that UNO has no business building an arena near 72nd st, right? Even though it would be privately funded, it'll take away from the Qwest Center right? UNO should just shut up and do what is best for the city and that's playing in the Qwest Center, isn't it? The metro area doesn't need another arena, do they? That's alot of dates that MECA is now going to have to fill on the calendar and even though UNO isn't a cash cow for the city, it's going to sting a little to lose all those dates. I'm guessing you would argue that the Mavs really have a civic duty to continue playing at Qwest Center Omaha, right?

Anything that is done by the Mavs is really only going to privatize money that the city should be collecting to help pay off the Qwest Center. I get your point now.

NO MORE ARENAS!!! OMAHA HAS ENOUGH ALREADY!
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  12:45:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Greg

In terms of economic activity, I think the downtown stadium will draw more people than the Sarpy Ballpark. Use is a relative thing, and if you are referring to dates in use...well, yes. Sarpy will win that battle. But when TD Ameritrade Park is in use, it'll do better.

The CWS will draw it's usual 300k or so spectators. I'm more optimistic that the UFL will succeed, because I think the NFL will recognize the value of a developmental league. That'll draw close to another 100k or so. Add in a few Creighton baseball games (and 2 CU/NU games). Oh, and TD Ameritrade will also begin to host post-season college baseball tournaments. They've won the bid for the 2011 MVC tournament, and have bid for the 2012 Big XII tourney. Look for MECA to get into a rotation with the MVC and the Big XII/Ten tournaments.

Add in a couple of concerts as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Warren Buffett's Berkshire meeting also starts taking advantage of the baseball field as well.

MECA has actually done a really good job finding other events for the stadium. I'm actually really pleased with the announcement of the MVC Tournament and the possibility of the Big XII Tournament.

However, if anything, your argument creates a very good case for the need for a second stadium. As we all know, the Royals were never anything but an afterthought in this whole process anyway. Nothing in the planning of that ballpark was created with them in mind. We all know how they've gotten forced out over the years at Rosenblatt for the CWS. Now, it sounds like TD Ameritrade Park will actually be BUSIER than Rosenblatt.

So, with 25 games of CU baseball, MVC Tournaments, Big XII Tournaments, Berkshire Hathaway Meetings, Concerts, The College World Series, and Team USA exhibition matchups, how do the Omaha Royals really fit into that scenario? They are still in a ballpark that doesn't fit their business model, but now they also likely go from being "relocated" for 2 weeks to up to 4.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  10:36:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think UNO does have a need for a new arena...because the Sapp Fieldhouse is obsolete as far as I'm concerned. (Yes, I'm talking basketball, volleyball, etc.)

You also missed out on my point about government paying for a stadium or arena. If someone wants to donate or raise the money themselves to pay for it, that's what this country is all about. If Alan Stein really wanted a new stadium in the metro area, there isn't a law that prevented him from doing just that. All he had to do was break out his checkbook.

But he wasn't going to do that, because sports team owners have been allowed to demand that governments build them shiny new ballparks. That's the going rate in the business. I understand that, and it's hard to fault Stein for doing what every other franchise owner does.

Doesn't mean that Omaha (or Sarpy County) had to give in to him.

Last time I checked, UNO isn't looking to the city to fund a new arena. We haven't heard how Trev plans to pay for it, but I expect UNO to make it work with donations and revenues from the operations of the building.

As for the stadiums and the events coming to town, they are all good...but frankly, other than the CWS (and maybe Berkshire), they don't justify the millions of dollars invested in the stadium. I don't believe that Sarpy's investment made business sense, and now at least two of Sarpy's commissioners seem to be leaning that way. (One voted no all along, while Ms. Jones has now had a change of heart...)

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2010 :  11:10:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
fwiw, you said that no matter where the new ballpark was, you'd oppose it because it's taxpayer funded. fair enough. however, i do find it funny that many on here that are against the royals having a new ballpark because "omaha doesn't need 2 ballparks" are more than for a new hockey arena mainly because the qwest is too big for uno hockey and they hate meca. hmmmmm, td ameritrade park is too big for the royals, and meca is still meca. Yet, you don't seem to have a problem with the royals and their fans having to play 4th class citizens in the new ballpark. Being shoehorned in downtown is the only acceptable place for them for many of you. i just see it as a double standard.

I would think, given your stand on a 2nd baseball stadium, you'd be against another arena regardless of whether or not it was publicly funded. The metro area already has 3 arenas, right? Also, the notion that "UNO needs a new arena for volleyball, basketball, etc." is also kind of a red herring in this conversation. None of those sports draw the types of crowds that would warrant a 10k arena like the one that is being discussed for the hockey team. They could certainly survive, and likely thrive, in a remodled and completely renovated sapp fieldhouse. They do not need a new arena to continue to exist. If any team needs a new facility at UNO, it remains the baseball team. Yet, their ballpark still looks dead in the water. So, at the end of the day, this is all about building a new home for the hockey team. It will be a new home that will undoubtedly take money away from the Qwest Center and could even potentially take a tenant away from the civic if they did get the lancers to follow them to their new arena.

As to your other points, let's just say the whole thing was mismanaged from the get go. Maybe there were huge concessions that could have been made by the powers that be in omaha to get the royals downtown. I think there were, but blind arrogance basically made that impossible. I'm just happy that the Royals will remain in town. I don't care how much the CWS brings in, I don't get my CWS check every year. I get infinitely more out of minor league baseball than I do out of the CWS. If it was up to me, I would have let the CWS walk in a heartbeat before the Omaha Royals. It has irritated me to no end that the fools running omaha basically thought they could replace a 40 year tenant of this city with beer league baseball at TD Ameritrade. I still hope they try it so that I can laugh in their faces when it fails, and it will fail. miserably.

The sarpy board is another situation altogether. Joni Jones looks like a total imbecile. If this project fails and is dumped in the laps of the people of sarpy county, they should pay for it. period. it's not our fault that sarpy is obviously inept and can't manage a construction project. Isn't that why brashear made all that money in the first place? wasn't he paid to bring the project in on a budget? Yet, now he's gone with hundreds of thousands of dollars and doesn't even have to answer as to why it's over budget. I'll say this, I'm not going to let anyone forget that Joni Jones was this projects biggest chearleader. If we were sold a bill of goods, I'm going to keep reminding people that she was for it a long time before she was against it.

I guess all of that will work itself out, but I'm just glad that we get to remain a AAA city. I attend about 10-15 Royals games a year. I may attend 1-2 CWS games a year. The choice has always been obvious to me.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2010 :  10:31:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The NFL has tried developmental leagues and lost millions on them. I'm not convinced they see the UFL as a logical step. With the UFL exceeding their projected losses in the first year and unable to get a 2nd expansion team to come into the league with Omaha, I don't see a long term solution there.

The Mo Valley tourney was a nice get. The Big 12 is iffy at best.

I should have been more clear Mike wanted the Royals in the TD Ameritrade or no where else in the Metro (not just DT).

The question about UNO getting their own stadium and the Royals not is an interesting one. Even if UNO thinks it can pay for the whole thing with donations, I'm assuming they will want the city to do the infrastructure changes over there to accomodate this. Throw in the fact that next year the city's obligation on Qwest Center payments jumps significantly, do we really think the city is going to have the money to do this and the will because it would be pulling an anchor out of the Qwest Center Omaha? You might be able to replace some UNO dates with concerts but UNO fills 20 plus dates a year, and is looking to grow it's attendance. I just don't see the city and it's taxpayers being too supportive of this. It really becomes interesting if Ralston get's their place off the ground at 72nd and L.

I think it will be interesting to see which baseball stadium has higher annual attendance. You'll definitely see other events in Sarpy, not just the Royals.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2010 :  11:30:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

You'll definitely see other events in Sarpy, not just the Royals.

Greg

They should work out a deal where the UNO baseball team plays at the Sarpy ballpark. The orphans of the UNO athletic department deserve a decent place to play that isn't in a city park or a high school.

but, if nothing else, i'm sure you'll see some high school tournaments, legion tournaments, etc.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  3:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
TD Ameritrade will not be hosting the Big 12 baseball tourney, it will remain in OKC.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2010 :  11:10:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

TD Ameritrade will not be hosting the Big 12 baseball tourney, it will remain in OKC.

Well, you are correct in that the Big 12 baseball tournament isn't coming to Omaha, but it's probably not staying in OKC either since soon the Big 12 likely won't exist any more.

When does the Big Ten tournament come up for bidding?

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2010 :  09:51:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It just got more expensive to go to Qwest and the new ballpark:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100610/NEWS01/100619993#qwest-hikes-its-parking-rates
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000