Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

dartben
Sophomore Mav

404 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  11:18:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

doesn't change the fact that memphis threatened to shop their affiliation and stated publicly that they expected a better on field product in return for re-upping their contract. that is fact.

They can shop their affiliation all they want. If there are more cities wanting AAA teams than their are MLB teams with affiliates, the power's still with the MLB club.

Memphis can preen all it wants, and it won't change that fact. The organization will screw over all of its minor league affiliates if it means the MLB club will succeed.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  11:29:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Memphis can threaten all they want but they have very little if any leverage. There would be plenty of offers for cities that would line up with St. Louis. Look the GM of the Cards is not making decisions to better Memphis. If he thinks a player will develop better in AA that's where the player is going. If the MLB needs a player in Memphis they will not think twice about pulling him up, no matter the consequences in Memphis.

Greg

well, then at the end of the day, it just goes to show you the difference in the franchises. if it is as you say and memphis's recent turnaround has absolutely nothing to do with the threats made in 2008, then it just further highlights the ineptitude of the royals from top to bottom.

The Redbirds have won two PCL titles in the last 10 years. The Royals haven't come close to sniffing one since they won an American Association title in 1990.

Of course, what can you expect when the major league club has had one winning season since the strike. At the same time the Cardinals have been to two world series, winning one, and made the playoffs seven times.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the biggest problem with the Omaha Royals is the Kansas City Royals. Most any other team in baseball would be a better parent club for the omaha franchise than KC. People in Omaha want to support this team. However, any caring has been bludgeoned out of them by the imbeciles 170 miles to the south.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  11:32:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the people that say, "Pete Ricketts is going to bring his I-Cubs to Omaha!"

Uhhhh...no he isn't.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  1:05:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
there's so many things wrong with that myth that i don't even know where to start. ha. no way the cubs are ever in omaha.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  1:28:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just want the record to show...that next to my kids, starting a 43 page, nearly 3 year old thread on Mavpuck is one of my life's greatest accomplishments.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  1:45:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AJ I think you'll be really proud next year when people start trashing the new Royals stadium, and others are questioning where the great indy league team is that's going to bring thousans more downtown. I predict this will be the first 100 page thread before it's retired in the MavPuck HOF.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  3:45:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'd like to keep this going right now. :)

has the omaha club re-upped their developmental deal with kc of late. the only article i could find indicates it was extended for 2 seasons after the 2008 season, meaning it is up this year.

also interesting to me is that the omaha/kansas city relationship is "the 2nd longest running one in major league baseball" don't know if that's just at AAA or all of the minors, but very interesting.

not saying that they should go to another team, necessarily, but I'm always interested to see if there are any other options.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  3:52:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it does end after this year. I think they timed it to end this year because of the uncertaintly around the Royals finding a home. Rumor in KC circles was if the O Royals could not work out a deal here, they were heading to Sugarland Texas and going to become the AAA affiliate of the Astros, then KC would make an affiliation with Houston's former affiliate.

I think the affialation works well for both teams here with the cities being only 3 hours apart.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  8:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
honestly, it's not a bad arrangement. However, just for the sake of speculation, if it were to ever change, the only teams that would make any sense for omaha and the major league club to switch to would be...

1. Chicago White Sox (currently in charlotte)
2. Minnesota (currently in Rochester)
3. Milwaukee (currently in Nashville)

Those are really the only 3 teams that would be close enough in proximity to omaha to make it work. I don't know how happy with their current affiliates they are, I don't follow it that closely, but I know that those AAA teams didn't necessarily light have top 10 attendance in AAA either. Minnesota and Chicago would be moving their franchises closer as well.

I don't think it will happen, but interesting to think about. those that say the Cubs would be a viable choice are dreaming. IMO, those would be about the only ones that would stand a chance outside of some dog type franchises that change all the time.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  10:53:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Memphis can threaten all they want but they have very little if any leverage. There would be plenty of offers for cities that would line up with St. Louis. Look the GM of the Cards is not making decisions to better Memphis. If he thinks a player will develop better in AA that's where the player is going. If the MLB needs a player in Memphis they will not think twice about pulling him up, no matter the consequences in Memphis.

Greg

This appears to the best post on here. Minor league franchises, while certainly having a desire to win and put dollars in the bank, still function to serve the big league teams. If a player in AAA is doing good enough to deserve a shot in the bigs or may help the big league team then he'll get called up. After all, a player playing well helping the big league team win will comparatively do more for the franchise than that player playing well in the minors.

The fact that the O Royals stink is probably related to how poorly it is being claimed they have drafted. I don't pay attention to the Royals so I don't know to what degree this is true, but I'll be rooting for a Twins minor league team to show up if the Royals change affiliation.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  1:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
so, it's going to be interesting to see just how over budget the sarpy ballpark ends up. I see the OWH had a story about it this last weekend. could get interesting if they can't stick near their $20-$25 million that they estimated.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/21/2010 :  7:57:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My guess is that the ballpark will come in at $26-28MM along with roads work and land donation it will end up being a total project of $33-$35MM. Going to be a good thing for the community and metro.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  08:10:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i don't have a problem with it. my tax dollars pay for lots of other things I don't care about or use. I'll use the ballpark and it's in my backyard basically. So, i'm fine with it. In fact, can't wait for it. The problem is that other people are unhappy about it and the OWH seems to enjoy stirring up controversy surrounding this project.

Also, what's the deal with Joni Jones. The last few articles I've read make her seem pretty loony. First she's freaking out about Kermit Brashear being let go from the project even going as far as to say something like, "if this is just about money, give me a break." Then, last weekend when the owh prints the story about the project being slightly over budget, she starts making statements about how the spending is out of control and her support for the project is wavering. To me, either she's really nuts or she's got some personal connection to Brashear and an axe to grind now that he's been let go. she doesn't care if Kermit walks away with wheelbarrows full of cash, but heaven forbid the structure costs 10% more than expected. somethings not right on the sarpy board, that's for sure.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2010 :  3:24:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree long term this is a home run for Sarpy. The Royals will fill 70 plus dates there, throw in some tourneys and concerts. I would love to own real estate on 370 right now. Between Wal Mart on the western part of 370 all the way to Bellevue that is going to be a major player going forward....

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2010 :  10:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The food vendor for the Sarpy Stadium has been chosen. This is also the first I heard that they will have a bar in left field:

http://omaha.royals.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100422&content_id=9497712&vkey=pr_t541&fext=.jsp&sid=t541
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  11:17:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Bar" = Card table with 3 bottles of Bacardi sitting next to 4 folding chairs
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  11:24:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a complicated guy, that works for me!

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  4:29:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

"Bar" = Card table with 3 bottles of Bacardi sitting next to 4 folding chairs

funny...
Go to Top of Page

MavML
Sophomore Mav

USA
336 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2010 :  10:53:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Throw in a bug zapper and I'm there!

The shadow of the Wicker man is rising up again!
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  12:50:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Board Chairwoman Joni Jones said after the presentation that the stadium project is well over budget and may climb even more. Ultimately, she said, the costs will be absorbed by taxpayers or fans going to games starting next season.

Jones voted for the stadium project, but she has been a harsh critic of the escalating costs.

“We promised the taxpayers a $26 million total project, and now we're going to spend another $5 million to $7 million,” Jones said. “These are millions of extra dollars we're talking about. It's not just an extra hundred thousand dollars here.”

She remains optimistic that the stadium will generate new commercial and residential development to help the county.

“I am very hopeful that it will,” Jones said, “but if it does not, then we've made a grave mistake.”

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/post.asp?method=Reply&TOPIC_ID=4455&FORUM_ID=5

It'll be tough to identify what development the new stadium will actually generate. Some of what's happening out there is a natural progression of growth. A Wal-Mart is underway at 168th & 370, and the Cabela's /Southport development is certainly progressing. So I don't know if anybody will be able to separate what was going to happen inevitably.

Have they ever publicly acknowledged how they are paying for the boondoggle again? Just curious.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  3:14:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree on the development. That area was starting to roll anyway. So many people try to paint this as out in the middle of nowwhere. It may be a little remote, but not for long, that's a hot area. They may be able to attract more of a regional draw type of development like Cabela's vs something that will only draw the locals, like the Wal Mart going up across the interstate.

The Royals being there might accelerate the growth. Plus the infrastructure type stuff that is being built and charged to the cost of this in the article can be used by what goes up around the stadium.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  9:15:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is on the far southern edge of the metro area, and though the area is starting to develop, it's so far from so much of the metro area, it is essentially remote as far as Douglas County goes. This stadium was promoted by some as being a "West Omaha" location...but it's as far south of my house in West O as downtown is east.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  10:32:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

At what point do you realize that not everybody lives at 156th and Pacific?

More than enough people live within 10 minutes of that stadium, plus you don't have to pay for it.

Still can't figure out why you're so p*ssy about it. Wanny b*tch about something? B8tch about MECA and how they are spending 6x that much for a stadium that will be used for 10 days.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2010 :  11:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
with like 6k permanent seats, they've set the bar pretty low. if they can't consistently draw 5-6k at this new ballpark with all the families in Millard, Papillion, La Vista, Gretna, etc. they've got bigger problems than i can imagine.

Now, the cost overruns are another story. sad and predictable that the characters involved in this can't get this thing figured out. Of course, I fully expect the omaha stadium to end up in the same situation. It may just take a little more time and be somewhat obscured by some slick spin doctoring by the omaha politicians.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  08:02:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also, is there a bigger imbecile in this whole process then Joni Jones? Seriously? She makes the Omaha contingent of Fahey/MECA look world class by comparison.

She was, by far, the biggest cheerleader for this project from day one. Yet, something has happened since Kermit Brashear was released from the project. There's something more to this than we know, but from the minute he has left the project, she flipped from supporting the project almost immediately. By all accounts, Brashear was let go from the project because he was being paid and enormous amount of money and he wasn't stopping the cost overruns. Letting him go was supposed to be one way to cut costs. Jones even said something to the effect of, "if this is just about money, give me a break" when Brashear was let go.

Yet, now she keeps undermining the project by releasing quotes such as "we may have made a grave mistake" concerning the cost overruns. Well lady, you've got a hand in this. Your people were supposed to keep the costs down. Apparently, they don't know how to manage a construction project. You own this just like the rest of the sarpy board and kermit brashear if it fails.

Right now, you get a sense that she's trying to hedge her political bets on this. She's trying to play some, "I was against it longer than I was for it" political spin game. It makes me sick, honestly.

If nothing else, it just further proves that incompetence reigns supreme in both Omaha and Sarpy. I guess it's nothing new though. It's the same story playing out on 370 as the entire history of rosenblatt. Rosenblatt was over budget from the get go as well, I guess.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  09:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It may be on the far end of the metro area. But it won't be for long. That area is still growing in a down economy and will jump when things turn around. Some have tried to label this location as BFE but it's not the case now nor and will be even harder to describe that way in 5 years.

For me coming from 156th and Fort it's not really different than if I had to go to Rosenblatt. I can get from I80 and West Dodge to the stadium in about 12 minutes.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  09:46:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
people from real big cities mock our complaining about having to drive 20 minutes from one destination in town to another. It's really a hollow complaint.
Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  10:35:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

For me coming from 156th and Fort it's not really different than if I had to go to Rosenblatt. I can get from I80 and West Dodge to the stadium in about 12 minutes.

Greg

Per the US mileage system, from 156th & Fort to 132nd & 370 is:

13.3 miles taking 144th

18 miles via Dodge & I80

12 mins is impressive.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  10:50:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not even speed either. I only timed myself from the stadium to I 80 and West Dodge because I figured more people could relate to that location vs my home address. It did not take near as long as I thought it would.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2010 :  12:48:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

At what point do you realize that not everybody lives at 156th and Pacific?

More than enough people live within 10 minutes of that stadium, plus you don't have to pay for it.

Still can't figure out why you're so p*ssy about it. Wanny b*tch about something? B8tch about MECA and how they are spending 6x that much for a stadium that will be used for 10 days.

I've long said that this stadium is conveninent for people who live in Gretna and Papillion. Also south Millard (old-town and those south and west; not necessarily Millard School District).

But that's maybe 10 to 20% of the metro area. I'd venture to guess that the BFE Ballpark is a further drive for as many as a half-million people in the metro area. Council Bluffs, the city of Omaha north and east of the I-680/80 interchange. Even Bellevue, the biggest city in Sarpy County.

One of the reasons that has been touted for building the stadium in the 'burbs is to "move closer to their fans". Well, they moved closer to some...but moved further away from 3 times more people. It's been stated that some people don't want to drive that far on a weeknight. Imagine people's surprise the first time they drive out there and find out that it's another 8-10 minutes just to drive from the Cabela's exit to turn off of 370 into the BFE parking lots.

(Greg: I drove the drive in reverse, and it was longer for me because I got stuck in a light on 144th. But I imagine that on gamedays, the exit off of 144th will back up pretty good at the Sapp Bros. exit. I don't think 12 minutes will hold at that time.)

True, I don't have to pay for Sarpy's mistake...but the whole area pays for it because the business benefits of playing a stadium gets split between Omaha and Sarpy County. And yes, MECA gets a good share of the blame, but when Sarpy made their offer, it didn't matter what MECA did. The Royals played their hand, asking for a small stadium that didn't house the CWS, and they got exactly what they wanted.

In BFE.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000