Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2010 :  4:42:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also, it's pretty lame that KC is once again not sending Alex Gordon to Omaha. He should have spend a year at least in Omaha, and at the end of the day, He's spend a few games here. They've had plenty of opportunities. Can't see why they won't put him in Omaha every chance they get.

I've said it for years, but one of the biggest problems with Omaha's AAA baseball franchise is the parent club in KC. Honestly, I think they'd be better off considering changing franchises next time they are up especially now that they are talking about changing the name next year. Maybe they can take the Brewers affiliation from Nashville. KC has done nothing but disrespect omaha for years. At least the Brewers typically have a decent team at the AAA level, unlike the royals.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  10:54:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gordon to Wilmington was about right. He came here last year and will probably be with Omaha again in the coming week.'

KC has spent more $ than any other MLB team on draft slots / picks the past 3 drafts. Omaha is just now starting to see some of these guys this year and will really see them in 2011 and 2012.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  2:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah I had no problems with Gordon going to Wilmington. You never know how cold it's going to be around here and last thing we need is a guy rehabbing in really cold weather.

Royals also spent $7 million on Arguelles a pitcher from Cuba. I like what they are spending on the draft and internationally. They also are tied with the Braves for most minor league affiliates.

Really looking forward to seeing some of the pitchers that KC has in A and AA come through Omaha.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

ellisfan
Your Name Here!

Djibouti
4083 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  2:17:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can see them when they get traded to the Yankees or Red Sox in 3 years
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2010 :  3:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Joe Mauer will be cathcing them, right? :)

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  11:33:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1620 is reporting that the UFL commissioner and Roger Dixon will announce the UFL is coming to Omaha.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  12:58:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The commissioner of the upstart professional football league will be joined by Omaha officials Thursday at Qwest Center Omaha for what the UFL bills as a “major announcement” regarding the league.

UFL officials were in Omaha two weeks ago talking with local officials about the possibility of playing this fall at Rosenblatt Stadium and perhaps moving to the new downtown stadium in 2011-12.

As for Thursday's announcement, the UFL — heading into its second year of attempting to meet the needs “of football fans in major markets currently underserved by professional football” — is remaining coy.

http://omaha.com/article/20100413/NEWS01/100419825#ufl-plans-announcement-in-omaha

This could work in Omaha, as long as they schedule carefully. Saturday's are a no-go. Friday's won't work well either with high school football..plus the games are in October, which brings hockey season into play. Play 'em on Sunday afternoons, and if the prices are reasonable, might do ok.

Quality of play couldn't be much worse than the Kansas City Chiefs as of late. Throw in a few former Huskers trying to stay active and develop, and it could work. Omaha draws 5k to watch semi-pro indoor games, for crying out loud.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  3:47:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to 1620 they have to play some games on Friday and there it movement in this league to play all games on Fridays....

I'll be honest not a huge fan of football in baseball stadiums but who know's?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  4:07:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gonna be tough, but I hope it works. I am anxious to see how they stop their losses...lost $30,000,000 last year with just 4 teams.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2010 :  9:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I think the UFL will be a more spectacular failure than the OAK's and that's saying something. The OAK's proved, again, that Omaha is not a big minor league town. So, they think that they can make minor league football work during the height of the college football, high school football, and NFL seasons in this town. give me a break. Talk about lost in the shuffle.

I've felt like the beef have been dying a slow death over the last few years. They've been hanging on by a thread. Now, they think yet another minor league football team will work in this town? At least the beef have the sense to play in the spring and summer when people are at least a little football deprived.

There's only so much room on the schedule and so much money in the pockets. When people look at their plans and see they are attending their kids high school game, then going to lincoln or having an away game party on saturday, and following their nfl team on Sunday, no one will think twice about these silly little games going on friday nights at the ballpark.

I give it 2 years and Roger will have another epic failure under his belt. However, it will be omaha that will further be branded as a town that can't support pro sports. This team will join the ranks of the racers and knights.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  08:57:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Except for 6 years, Omaha has been my home.
I lived in Albuquerque (home of the AAA Duke's, now the Isotopes). Even in that town, the AAA team could barely draw 6000.

I lived in Jacksonville (before the NFL) and their AAA team couldn't even get that.

Omaha is not alone. Minor leagues are depressing.

Back in my youth, when KC actually cared about their team and tried to win some games, the team would have two good first basemen and one hot pitcher. We would be on a roll. We would even lead the league. We would get to August. Omaha would be excited that maybe this year, they would finally get into the post season and win something. AND THEN, KC would take our pitcher. Not one of the good first basemen, no they would take the only hot pitcher we had. We would start losing games faster than sorority girls can down jello shots. I swear the O Royals would lose games that other teams were playing.

Year after year. I just couldn't get behind them anymore, feeling like the Royals were a bait and switch type deal.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  11:53:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be fair, the Omaha Royals front office has zero say in who plays for their team. The Major league teams use ALL minor leagues as a development tool for the big leagues. That's universal from rookie league to AAA.

The fact that the Royals suck and are run by trained chimps who don't know a banana from their own steaming pile of bullpen is a different story entirely.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  12:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

To be fair, the Omaha Royals front office has zero say in who plays for their team. The Major league teams use ALL minor leagues as a development tool for the big leagues. That's universal from rookie league to AAA.

The fact that the Royals suck and are run by trained chimps who don't know a banana from their own steaming pile of bullpen is a different story entirely.

That may be. They ask me for money and time and enthusiam to support a team that will predictably suck and in a good year, be eliminated by mid-July. Contrast that to the Mavs, where I am cheering for a bunch of great guys who are a credit to the school and in a program that wants to get better and does things to make that happen.

I just can't get into minor league sports.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  12:16:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hell, I worked there and couldn't get into it. Minor league attracts two types of people: Families/people who don't care and are looking for something different to do and hard-core freaks who keep score and wear headphones to games.

There are about 200x more of the former than the latter, but everybody in between probably doesn't have much for use for it..you and me most likely included.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  1:18:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
minor league teams change affiliations all the time. with the level of ineptitude and disrespect KC has shown towards their team in Omaha over the last 15 years, it shocks me that the franchise hasn't been more active in exploring options for a different parent club. either, they are getting a good deal from KC or no other team is interested in omaha because of the lack of support over the last decade plus.

If they can get any momentum going in sarpy, i could see them pursuing a different parent club the next time the contract is up. sounds like they are already going to change the name again. So, they may not be tied to KC as much as some might think.

There has to be more pressure that Omaha can put on KC. It was just a year or two ago, the memphis franchise was threatening to end their relationship with the Cardinals unless they started committing better players to AAA. Well, the Redbirds went from several seasons of poor baseball to PCL champions last year.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  2:20:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess I'm one of those fans that likes having AAA level teams in town. I love the fact that I can watch guys up close at a minor league game that will be playing in a very short time at the highest level. In the last few years I've seen Greinke, Butler and DeJesus. Watching Greinke pitch, you could just tell that he had the stuff to be awesome even at the MLB level. Years past I've seen some other great Royals (though during the Baird era they rushed too many past Omaha.

Even though the Knights were only here 2 years just look at how many of them are full time in the NHL. (the Mavs have been here 10 plus and still only have a handful)

I understand the deal with minor league teams. You can have a great season going but never know when your guys are going to the show. I actually like when that happens.

The other nice thing about these teams in Omaha are the seeing other teams top up and coming players. I'm a Wings fan and that roster is littered with players I saw play the Knights. Man was I wrong about Jimmy Howard in goal....

I will also say the O Royals for me are the best family sports option in town on the affordability scale. I buy the GA books and Kids Club, and it makes it very affordable to take the whole family. Looking forward to watching games on the berm next year.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  3:52:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigredmed

I lived in Albuquerque (home of the AAA Duke's, now the Isotopes). Even in that town, the AAA team could barely draw 6000.

I lived in Jacksonville (before the NFL) and their AAA team couldn't even get that.

Back in my youth, when KC actually cared about their team and tried to win some games, the team would have two good first basemen and one hot pitcher. We would be on a roll. We would even lead the league. We would get to August. Omaha would be excited that maybe this year, they would finally get into the post season and win something. AND THEN, KC would take our pitcher. Not one of the good first basemen, no they would take the only hot pitcher we had. We would start losing games faster than sorority girls can down jello shots. I swear the O Royals would lose games that other teams were playing.

Year after year. I just couldn't get behind them anymore, feeling like the Royals were a bait and switch type deal.

Please write with facts...Albuquerque has averaged more than 7,400 fans per game the past 4 seasons, topping out last year with a franchise record of 8,363 per game (602,129 total). Showing that even though their ballpark opened several seasons ago and even though we are in a recession, their attendance has gone UP.

Jacksonville is not a Triple-A franchise, it is Double-A. Last year Jacksonville averaged more than 5,100 last year and more than 5,400 in 2008.

And no, Minor League Baseball teams don't control the team or weather for that matter. It is about entertainment and the fact that you are seeing future MLB players guaranteed. More than 800 Royals from Omaha out of the 1100 that have played in Omaha.

Minor league sports, baseball in paticular, are anything but depressing right now. They are the most profitable sports organizations behind NFL teams (percentage-wise) than any sport right now.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  4:08:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

quote:

Please write with facts...Albuquerque has averaged more than 7,400 fans per game the past 4 seasons, topping out last year with a franchise record of 8,363 per game (602,129 total). Showing that even though their ballpark opened several seasons ago and even though we are in a recession, their attendance has gone UP.

Jacksonville is not a Triple-A franchise, it is Double-A. Last year Jacksonville averaged more than 5,100 last year and more than 5,400 in 2008.

And no, Minor League Baseball teams don't control the team or weather for that matter. It is about entertainment and the fact that you are seeing future MLB players guaranteed. More than 800 Royals from Omaha out of the 1100 that have played in Omaha.

Minor league sports, baseball in paticular, are anything but depressing right now. They are the most profitable sports organizations behind NFL teams (percentage-wise) than any sport right now.

I lived in ABQ in the 1980's. They weren't that popular then.
For me, a team that inevitably has the wheels fall off every season is at best sisyphean for the fans who are not die hard baseball fans.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  4:41:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

quote:

I lived in ABQ in the 1980's. They weren't that popular then.
For me, a team that inevitably has the wheels fall off every season is at best sisyphean for the fans who are not die hard baseball fans.

You are right, that is why the team left town. And when they built a new stadium it returned a few seasons ago.

Can't help you on the way Minor League Baseball operates, it just is the way it is.

Jacksonville is Double-A.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2010 :  10:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
no one is saying that the kc royals need to be putting all their effort into making omaha a winner; however, the string of ineptitude both franchises have had in the last 15 years is appalling and the finger can be pointed solely at kc.

like i said, look at memphis. they threatened the cardinals by suggesting they might not renew their affiliation if better baseball wasn't delivered to the fans of the team down there. that was in 2007, i think. guess what? the Redbirds were PCL champs last year. The Redbirds management was concerned that the sharp decline in the on-field product since their last pcl title in 2001 was leading to reduced ticket sales and lost revenue. sounds familiar doesn't it.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  08:57:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't buy the Memphis threat. The St. Louis Cardinals will run their AAA players in a way that best develops them for MLB play. If Mepmphis had kicked the Cards out, who would they have replaced them with? The Cards would have had plenty of options (just look at all the cities that were ready to take our Royals if the deal fell through in Omaha).

KC has been brutal for a while but look at what's happened recently. For the last 2 years they have out spent all but one team on the draft. Going over slot not just in the first rounds but several rounds in the draft signing players that other teams would not due to signability (Will Myers and Tim Melville being 2 examples). They also just shelled out $7 million for Cuban defector Noelle Arguelles. They're now tied with the Braves for supporting the most minor league affiliates. They are plowing money into their Dominican Academy. They've added to front office staff, including creating a position for Mike Arkbuckle who helped build the current version of the Phillies. They've also started signing more of their young talent to extensions before they hit free agency, most recently Soria and Greinke (Butler will be next).

Greg

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  10:43:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing like that happened in Memphis at all. Just fyi.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  11:22:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes it did. just fyi.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  11:28:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This was actually a big soap opera from late 07-through 08 for anyone that follows the Cardinals. Just wanted to set you straight.

http://stlcardinals.scout.com/2/789671.html

Yet, Memphis did look at alternatives.

“As Mr. Jernigan (Memphis owner Dean) was looking to see was in the best interests of his franchise and his investment, he also wanted to recognize what was in the best interest of his city and community. In doing so, he did some due diligence in what might be out there, but ultimately, the reason we sit before you today, is that he felt like having the Cardinals be a part of the Memphis community makes all the sense in the world. There was just nothing else out there in his mind that made any more sense,” explained Mozeliak.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  11:31:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
also, this.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/news/2008/sep/11/memphis-redbirds-remain-cardinals-affiliate/

Speculation about whether a deal would actually get done grew as next week's exclusive negotiating deadline loomed. Redbirds owner Dean Jernigan, who is said to be interested in selling the club, indicated he would be willing to find a new affiliate if the Cardinals didn't put a greater emphasis on winning at the Triple-A level.

Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  12:18:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Where are the Omaha Royals in all this. Do they want to disrupt the golden goose now. If they were interested in winning rather than just printing money, that should have been a goal at the blatt where you essentially had unlimited seating to fill. O Royals management now is in a small stadium they will likely be able to fill pretty full. They have another sweetheart deal at the new stadium, why would they care that much about quality of product to threaten a move when they will still be printing money with less upside/seating potential. Sure, they would like a good team, but they are not going or threatening to go anywhere or to anyone else with the deal they suckered Sarpy into.

They are businessmen owning a business, not fans buying a team like Mark Cuban. The comparison to Memphis leaves out the fact the they had to pay for and build their own stadium (which was 80 million vs the 20-25 for PSarpy), which since the article linked to above was publish, they defaulted on. Business is different when you have to pay for your own stadium, workers, fireworks, etc. Also, it's likely the A and AA teams don't have the same setup as the O Royals, so maybe the royals are working with them to better their product and help their financial situation, or maybe they threatened to move.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  1:48:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good points. I'm not saying the Royals and the Redbirds situations are exactly the same. However, to state that there's no room or precedent for a minor league affiliate to pressure the parent club to put a quality product on the field is absurd and, as you can see, is a myth that has been debunked.

the royals are obviously riding a gravy train of some sort with KC. I know that KC is an inept organization, but man, you'd think that they omaha franchise could do better than this if they really wanted to. Every other team in their division, nashville, iowa, and memphis have had years where they've been good. not omaha. baseball fans in this city have proven in the past they will come out to support a winner. I remember my first years in 90-91, they were good. people showed up.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  4:03:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not going to debate the articles or what is happening behind the scenes, I am just stating fact. If Jernigan thought or thinks that he had anything to do what the product on the field he can keep thinking that. That is discussed, but it really just doesn't matter. The main point behind the entire Memphis deal was leverage to try to sell the team to St. Louis. A deal was agreed to but since an insane and irresponsible amount of $ was spent on Autozone Park, St. Louis backed out of buying the club. Most Triple-A franchises have a dept service of $500K - $1.5MM/year, but the Memphis situation is much different as their's is more than $5MM/year because of the amount spent on the stadium.

It was all based on trying to sell the team and now the bondholders have taken the team back and Jernigan and the initial owners are out. I sure hope that things will smooth in Memphis I just don't know if they will be able to sell the team unless the bondholders take less than what they are owed.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2010 :  10:27:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
doesn't change the fact that memphis threatened to shop their affiliation and stated publicly that they expected a better on field product in return for re-upping their contract. that is fact. whether or not their pressure really had anything to do with their pcl championship last year is pretty much conjecture on both sides.

you stated "nothing like that happened at all in memphis, fyi". Yes, it did, and it happened in public and it played out in the newspapers. that can't be debated.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2010 :  08:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Memphis can threaten all they want but they have very little if any leverage. There would be plenty of offers for cities that would line up with St. Louis. Look the GM of the Cards is not making decisions to better Memphis. If he thinks a player will develop better in AA that's where the player is going. If the MLB needs a player in Memphis they will not think twice about pulling him up, no matter the consequences in Memphis.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000