Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  4:40:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nevermind on that whole downtown white elephant thing.

We've got wind-blown battles with Drake and Southern Illinois on Hot March nights to keep the stadium going.

Well done Roger.

http://omaha.com/article/20091027/NEWS01/910279979
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  4:54:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

Nevermind on that whole downtown white elephant thing.

We've got wind-blown battles with Drake and Southern Illinois on Hot March nights to keep the stadium going.

Well done Roger.

http://omaha.com/article/20091027/NEWS01/910279979

funny!
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  6:26:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The two new arenas in the area are Qwest and MAC. It will be interesting trying to justify another arena for the area.

Now we just need Roger to sign up the much discussed independent league team he has been negotiating with.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  9:00:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heard that Creighton baseball will be playing some home games there in '11 and full seasons starting in '12 ... that's a good use. MECCA also wants some regional/super regional games, but I can't see NCAA doing it since we have CWS in the next week or two weeks following.

DBF
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of all who threaten it
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  9:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if you were thinking the MAC and I might question your status as a true Mav fan by even remotely thinking that's a viable arena for UNO. The Lancers may change their name, but they operate more like a professional organization. UNO is a university. THE University in OMAHA. They do not operate like a professional organization that has the right or ability to go where the business might be. I suppose technically they have the right, I really don't speak on legal terms when I say that. But if they were to go to CB, they are out in my book forever. I feel safe saying that because they never will. So there's one arena in the area for UNO to play in.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  10:00:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reno's 6500 seat stadium cost $50 million plus land costs. Columbus, Ohio's 7500 seat stadium came in at $55 million. Even with donated land and construction costs dropping, the BFE Econobox is still significantly under the going rate.

As for the upcoming UNO arena, keep in mind that taxpayers probably won't be asked to contribute much, if anything, to this project. Maybe only the $20 million that has been brought up for remodeling the Civic...and even that might be a tough sell. UNO found $36 million to remodel the HPER building; I think UNO will accomplish this without tax funds.

The case for a new UNO arena is much more solid than building a ballpark in a cornfield on the far edge of town. If UNO is going to go D-1 (and by all accounts, that's where UNO is headed in about five years), they need a new arena if only for basketball. Does anybody really think the MAC in Council Bluffs, Iowa is an appropriate facility for Nebraska-Omaha to play? That argument isn't going anywhere.

Add in the potential of drawing Big XII basketball to town (since the Big XII has already rejected both the Civic and MAC) and you've got a case.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  11:35:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did this thing turn into a discussion about the on-campus arena?
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  11:47:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mavpuck is magical.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  09:07:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wasn't saying that UNO would play in the MAC, just that our local economy is already paying for 2 new arenas and will be for another 20 years or so. It will be a tough, tough sell for a 3rd. The cost of the Bemidji Events Center is now looking to cost between 90 and 100 million....

Did anybody see that MECA is getting Creighton to play 10k in rent per game? Wow. I know MECA does not share parking and concession at Qwest, does anyone know if Creighton will see any of that for baseball? Could an independent league team pay 10k in rent? Would they have to since Creighton is?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  10:11:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for saying that Greg. We can be friends again. But if UNO's going to attempt to fund their own arena, we don't need to worry about what the economy is paying for. I guess we still would since the "economy" or those that pay for the economy are potential donors.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  11:40:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If an independent league team came here.. and it lasts more than 2 seasons.....I will buy an Amber Bock for each and every one of you...
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  12:01:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my mind, there are two factors that are important when considering the on-campus arena:

1. UNO boldly moving all sports to D-I (football 1-AA)
2. The hockey program having more on-ice success

Number 1 in the list is largely dependent on the hockey program's success as well. But there are a lot of moving parts in all of this.

I have no doubt that there are folks who'd like to make this happen. The Karnes Commission in 2006 recommended that the next step for UNO would be to build an on-campus facility for UNO Athletics. Trev Alberts has essentially said it would be a "failure" of UNO didn't have an on-campus facility 10 years from now.

I think UNO could reasonably get away with building a 7,000 to 8,500 seat facility. In my mind, political and public resistance will happen if they approach the 10,000-seat mark. A university facility would be privately funded, but

There is little evidence to currently suggest that UNO can sustain 10,000 in paid attendance -- for any sport. We can talk about an increase in hockey success having a subsequent effect on attendance, but we're largely facing the great unknown.

Personally I'd like to have seen this thing built 5 years ago (). That said, UNO needs to make sure they build an "appropriate" size facility.

I posted the following to the UNO Hockey OneList in March 2009

March 30, 2000 - 10:49 p.m.
http://sports.groups.yahoo.com/group/mavhockey/message/2584

quote:
Sure,

Omaha may build a new arena/convention center.

But, wouldn't it be wonderful if, someday, UNO could have their own ice arena.

The ideal spot would be Aksarben. Tear down the existing building and build a new one.

Move the Lancers to the Civic. It would be a glorious arena for a junior hockey team.

I got this inspiration when I was at Mariucci last weekend.

A 10,000 seat arena. Red seats with certain seats black in the middle to spell out "UNO." Replay boards on the scoreboard hanging in the middle on all four sides. A real Blue Line Room. Banners of CCHA teams all around. The Hobey Baker Award in glass with Jeff Hoggan's picture by it (hey, a person can dream). A place for Lawlor's to have their own merchandise store. I picture an arena Mariucci style where the concourse is at the top of the seats (similar to Michigan State as well only bigger), and you walk down to all of the seats. That way, the fans will all be together (except for the people in the boxes). The band can march around the concourse.

The whole place decorated in red and black. Beautiful, Maple Leaf-esque lockerroom for the Mavs. Jersies signed by every member of each season's team hanging framed around the upper councourse. Closed circuit TVs in the Blue Line room, and at each of the concession stands to show the games.

Yeah, this place would cost some bucks, but it would be awesome. A true "Bullpen." Not a place that we rent. When someone says "who's house?" we can really cheer "our house!"

A place that when you brought recruits, they would be in complete and total awe. A place without blue seats which means that even if there were no shows, it would still look good.

A practice rink attached, offices for the coaches and staff.

They can name it after the largest contributor for all I care (I would be lucky to sponsor a brick in the place).

Near campus which would make it convenient for the players and students.

Well, I had better stop rambling. I figure, though, that since I am only 27 that it could happen in my lifetime.

Maybe.

Jon

I suppose you could chalk those sentiments up to my mindless ramblings of nearly a decade ago, but in principle I think it'd be good idea for UNO to build such a structure.

As it regards baseball, we'd heard that Creighton wanted to build a new facility in downtown. Those plans were apparently moth-balled when the city decided to build a new stadium. It'll be interesting to see how the arrangement works out at the downtown ballpark.

The pricetag is $10,000 per game. It'd be interesting to know if that is the price they proposed to the ORoyals.

I can't recall the exact details, but the Royals were getting a sweetheart deal at Rosenblatt (plus a share of concessions and parking revenue). A song compared to the prices that MECA routinely charges.

I think it'd be nice to have another tenant at the new ballpark merely for the fact that it'd allow the city to realize more revenue from the structure.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  2:45:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's good in theory Jon...but NOBODY..and I mean NOBODY is going to pay 6 bucks to park and 7 bucks for a beer to watch the caliber of beer-league softball players you get in the Independent League.

This town has had a LOT of bad ideas in recent years...the dual ballpark solution being at the top of the list IMO. But for Roger to think that Beer League baseball is the answer to the problem...he's much dumber than I thought...which mind you isn't too bright to begin with.

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2009 :  2:51:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, no...

I don't want to imply that I am in favor of Independent League ball.

I'm disappointed that the Royals won't be playing in the ballpark. I completely understand why they took the deal they did, but I wish they were going to be downtown.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2009 :  1:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The latest on the TD Ameritrade Park:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091103/NEWS01/911039989
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2010 :  09:58:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome.

That's gonna look sweet when I see it sitting there in the dark for 50 weeks a year on my way to the Airport.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2010 :  11:23:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shatel called Darth about the Craigslist posting from last week. Darth doesn't believe it's legit, and adds that MECA is still talking to the American Association.

quote:
Dixon added that he believes there will be a baseball team other than Creighton that will play in Ameritrade Park. Iíll still believe it when I see it.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100222/SPORTS/702229826

I'd rather see the Royals downtown, but after verifying the drive between BFE Ballpark and my West O house is just about as long as the drive downtown, I think that I'm more likely to stick around downtown for a game than drive all the way out to the Boondoggle to see the Royals. (On the way back, it took 8 minutes alone to drive to Cabela's from the Sarpy ballpark location...)

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  08:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BFE ballpark is less than 10 minutes from my house.

Not everybody lives in Millard. Not sure why this is so tough for people to understand.

PS - This snide remark is directed at Mike, and not in any way an approval of this ballpark or any ballpark. This whole episode is borderline criminal, and everybody involved should go to jail.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  08:59:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have preferred downtown (just like I prefer the Mavs staying downtown). That being said for me in NW Omaha, it's just as easy for me to get to the new park as it would be downtown.

It's going to be real interesting to see if something is willing to put up hundreds of thousands for a non affiliated team to play in park by MECA's rules. Plus you will have to leave for weeks during the heart of your short season. Does not seem like a sound business decision to me.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  10:25:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The level of play alone in the independent league is enough to make this whole thing laughable. I wouldn't play 3 bucks to watch that..let alone 6 to park, however much for concessions etc.

Rodger has lost his mind.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  12:27:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

BFE ballpark is less than 10 minutes from my house.

Not everybody lives in Millard. Not sure why this is so tough for people to understand.

Oh, I know. Papillion is really growing in that direction. BFE is great for those people, as well as people in Gretna, and really everybody in western Sarpy County. (And all the livestock too! )

But for most people in Douglas County, including most of Omaha...oops. (Note the word "most"...)

Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2010 :  2:42:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Craig's List listing is real.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  10:05:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
for those of you that have said that even even though it's about the same distance, that you're going to go downtown on some sort of principle, have fun watching beer league baseball. I'm sure you'll sit through a few innings and rethink not heading out to see the royals.

the more i think about it, the more I think that the ballpark in sarpy is a great idea. tons of families out in that area. It'll be an affordable and easy place to take their kids. The sarpy ballpark at 6k is setting the bar pretty low and is a relatively low risk investment by the county unlike the $100 million plus monstrosity downtown.

I give whatever team they throw into that ballpark 2 years. The Royals will be celebrating 50 years in omaha, long after the Omaha Meat Packers or whatever they'll call them have gone the way of the Omaha Aksarben Knights (another epic roger achievement)

It's just going to take some serious proof to get me to believe that you're going to talk very many people who already possibly work downtown to pack up the family on a Tuesday night and drive back downtown to watch a bunch of NAIA all-stars play baseball in some 3rd rate league that no one has ever heard of.
Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 02/26/2010 :  11:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new Sarpy ballpark will be the subject of next month's Omaha Press Club Noon Forum on Thursday, March 25. Come up with some good questions you want me to ask...

===========================================================================
quote:
"People like Jon and Bridget epitomize what it means to be a fan. Come hell or high water, they're going to be there, and they've really invested a lot of themselves into this program." -- Mike Kemp, Omaha World-Herald, March 16, 2009
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  12:40:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you ready for some football??
http://omaha.com/article/20100331/NEWS01/703319896#new-sport-for-new-stadium

quote:
An upstart professional football league is high on Omaha as a potential expansion city, offering a possible new tenant to help fill a void in TD Ameritrade Park's schedule.

Six officials with the United Football League are in Omaha this week to brief community and corporate leaders on the discussions and try to confirm details to seal the deal, Commissioner Michael Huyghue told The World-Herald on Tuesday.

It would only be 3 games in all likelihood, but considering how this area loves football, you never know. I'd suggest that they consider scheduling them on Sunday afternoons. I know that's the NFL on TV, but on a nice Sunday afternoon in the fall, you could draw quite a few people downtown for a game, if the price was reasonable.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  1:31:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If this happens it definitely won't hurt anything, but the league looks real real shaky (don't all non-affiliated minor leagues though?). I do think though trying to sell minor leauge football during the Husker season will be a rough, rough sale. Anybody remember when the Canadian Football Leauge made it's ill fated attempt to expand to the US? I remember Omaha was on their short list. I remember talk of them trying to even play somehow at Ak-Sar-Ben.

The very last paragraph does not seem as optomistic as previous comments from Roger on a indy baseball team though.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  3:21:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing about college teams is that even if only a handful of guys on our team play beyond college, you hope that they get their degree and will have a better life than they could otherwise get without the team.

We aren't sold that they are all going to the NHL.

With these teams that seems to be all that you hear. "Who on the O Royals will be in the bigs next season?"

All of us realize that we will never get a pro team at the major level. It would be great to see the NHL send some preseason action to cities like Omaha, or even the NBA, but that will be it for us. I just am tired of having these promoters foist the C and D leagues on us.

Sorry to say, but I hope the deal falls through. I know that is harsh, but we are a good city, and if we keep settling for the part the donkey left behind when it comes to pro-sports then that is the image everyone else will have of us.

Keep your crappy bush league pro teams, I will stick with the college game.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 03/31/2010 :  4:23:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is this a joke? A 4 team semi-professional football league? Are you F'ing kidding me?

If Roger Dixon showed up to a press conference wearing overalls, a straw hat with a peace of wheat in his teeth..he couldn't insult this city more.

Besides...the grounds crew at Rosenblatt throws a fit when the NSAA high school tournament wants to play ONE Game there. Why not let a bunch of construction workers and fast food clerks the chance to tear up that field 8 times per year?

Just when I think it couldn't get any worse....
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2010 :  10:18:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The league projected to lose $24MM last year and they went on to lose $30MM with only FOUR TEAMS. They play on the same nights as Nebraska HS and College football. Tough sell, tough sell.

I have been told it is all but a done deal though and will play up to 5 games at Rosenblatt this fall.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2010 :  2:23:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
weak. I'm honestly convinced these clowns running the show in Omaha have absolutely no idea of what they are doing.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000