Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  2:09:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Zoo will not grow...only their parking lot will get bigger.
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  4:43:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MetroFan

You're wrong, but okay.

---
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  5:48:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No there will be extra land. They are closing 10th in front of the zoo. I'm sure parking will be reconfigured but there's a lot of the land as well that is currently taken up by the stadium that will now be available for zoo development. This zoo will be a great deal better because of this. I think those in the neighborhood that lost their CWS parking money are still bitter on this.

G
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2009 :  11:34:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaseyMav

quote:

You're wrong, but okay.

---

No I am not, but if they change their current plan then yes, I will be wrong.
Go to Top of Page

dartben
Sophomore Mav

404 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  07:40:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
No I am not, but if they change their current plan then yes, I will be wrong.

Yes, you are. The current plan is that Rosenblatt becomes parking, and the current parking lot becomes the arctic exhibit.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  08:10:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It all depends on who you talk to, because the person you talked to is right.

Like I talked to my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend who heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with this girl that said he's right.....and then passed out at 31 flavors last night. I guess it's pretty serious.
Go to Top of Page

WoohooHcky
Junior Mav

577 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  6:30:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually was at a lunch where Dr. Simmons spoke and dartben is correct....

And yes, I work in healthcare
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/04/2009 :  10:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was also spelled out in the OWH months ago.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2009 :  09:07:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no idea who's right.....just wanted somebody to pick up on my Ferris Bueller line. You know, I worry about IMPORTANT things like movie lines, not the zoo redevelopment.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2009 :  8:52:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MECA may have violated state law...
quote:
Nebraska Attorney General Jon Bruning was asked today to investigate one of the most powerful public boards in the state.

Following an exclusive Nebraska Watchdog investigation involving the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority (MECA), Common Cause Nebraska has filed a written complaint against MECA.

Nebraska Watchdog first reported that MECA, which runs the $291 million Qwest Center Omaha and will run the new $128 million downtown ballpark, has been criticized by Omaha Mayor Jim Suttle for possible violations of the Nebraska Open Meetings Act.

On July 20th with the City of Omaha going through its toughest financial situation in some 40 years, MECA Chairwoman Gail Werner-Robertson and President/CEO Roger Dixon met with Suttle and offered to advance the City $5.6 million from the money MECA receives for Qwest naming rights. In return they wanted Suttle to drop his proposed 2% entertainment tax.

http://nebraska.watchdog.org/2009/09/11/exclusive-state-asked-to-investigate-meca/

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  12:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It appears they did but since nothing really came out of this any way I don't see anything coming because of it.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  1:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sentence hurt my brain, Greg.

---
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/13/2009 :  2:55:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not one of my finer literary moments....
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  10:08:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This would be good if passed but like the article states it might not be the right time:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090916/NEWS01/709169932/0/search

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  12:39:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd disagree. The downtown stadium was supposed to be fully funded, and while Omaha could certainly use the extra revenue to help out the general budget, I don't think it's a good idea for the downtown stadium to be funded by sales tax revenue. The part about the turnback tax surprises me:

quote:
The proposal by Ashford, a former member of the MECA board, which runs the Qwest Center, is not a surprise. It was widely assumed that the turnback tax scheme would be sought for the $140 million College World Series stadium, being built in a Qwest Center parking lot.

I think I've followed the downtown stadium debate as well as anybody, and I've never heard any mention (except in the early stages) of using turnback sales tax revenue for the downtown stadium. It had always been sold as being paid for by donations, stadium revenues (perhaps that's where the turnback tax is coming from, though nothing was mentioned about needing to change state law for it to proceed), and hotel/rental car taxes.

Changing the financing plan now lends credence to the naysayers who worried that property taxes would increase to pay for this.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2009 :  12:46:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder with the downturn in the economy there are a little concerned with a drop in hotel/rental car taxes. Not sure we'll know anytime soon but I'd rather see this than more property taxes. The calculations for the Qwest were off due to the change in convention business after 9/11, it could be happening now as well. Ashford is pretty well connected with MECA as a former member so I assume he knows something on this from the inside...

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  09:49:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cluster
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2009 :  12:54:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
guarantee that taxpayers end up footing a major portion of the bill for the downtown stadium even after they were guaranteed they wouldn't have to. Oh yes, it was sold as a win/win for everyone in the community. In the end, it'll be a win for the fat cats that have made sure they have a stake in it; however, the rest of the people in Omaha will only get the opportunity to pay it off.

It's not even a question of if, it's a question of when. It'll be just like the Qwest Center. just wait for the first politician to come out with the "estimates weren't quite in line with the reality of the economy" and get ready for more taxes to pay for it.

Omaha is deeply inept and corrupt. It goes back decades, but it's really coming to light now that people are feeling the pinch and their schemes can't go on unabated and undetected.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  09:34:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you mean guarantee that taxpayers will pay the majority of it? Do you mean through the ways that were designed, like hotel/car rental, the donations from donors, and the naming rights? If you do then yes of course because technically they are all taxpayers. Or did you mean property tax?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

EdT
Freshman Mav

193 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  11:56:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never did follow the funding mechanisms behind any of the city projects but didn't they give out bonds to pay for these projects? Because if they did, and there is a shortfall raising money to pay off the bonds, then taxpayers are liable to make up the difference (read: yes, your property taxes will go up). But I'm not really sure that that is the funding mechanism behind the Qwest/Stadium as I live outside Douglas County and theoretically my property taxes won't be affected by whatever shortfall occurs.

Ultimately, unless Omaha declares bankruptcy, taxpayers pay for everything. What the city hopes to do is shift the tax burden either to outside area payers or to people who buy, use or benefit from the facility/service. The city may call them usage fees or entertainment taxes or satellite inspection fees but what they are are taxes.

>>Wait Master, it might be dangerous....You go first.<<
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  12:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also remember that the part of the Qwest Center that is struggling is the convention center. The arena has done far better than they ever thought it would.

Go to Top of Page

EdT
Freshman Mav

193 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2009 :  5:29:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

Also remember that the part of the Qwest Center that is struggling is the convention center. The arena has done far better than they ever thought it would.

Having NOT gone to the Omaha Product show this week, an Industrial Product show that took place this past Wednesday and Thursday, and having some of the vendors, whom I know, complain about the Qwest staff, cost, and rules that seem to be made up on the spot as to why they can't do or show or exhibit something, this does not surprise me.
Because of lack of vendors, we haven't bothered going the last 2 times it was here. The Omaha show alternates with Lincoln ever other year, and the Lincoln show is better attended by both customers and vendors despite being at a smaller venue. In Lincoln if you want to do or show something they look for a way to help you do it, while in Omaha they look for a way to charge you extra for doing it, and if they can't, they'll probably tell you that you aren't allowed to do it.

>>Wait Master, it might be dangerous....You go first.<<
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  12:43:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
drove by the 126th and 370 site this weekend and the area is now filled with construction equipment and quite a bit of dirt has been upturned. I'm thinking there is no longer any chance for those that were holding out hope that the deal would fall through at the last minute.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 10/19/2009 :  1:57:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the quality of field they are building there, I figure they should be done in about 4 months.
Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 10/26/2009 :  2:42:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

With the quality of field they are building there, I figure they should be done in about 4 months.

The team is just hoping that they can get in the ballpark offices in December 2010. The ballpark is to be completed in time for April 2011 games. The field and lights will be the same or better quality than CWS stadium fyi. The fan amenities will be better.

But the overall theme here is that you can't compare the two. One is for a 2 week event to sit as many people as possible for each CWS game and the other is for MiLB baseball and special events and will maximize the fan experience due to amenities.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  11:37:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not so sharp on this whole baseball thing. Thanks for spelling that out for me....I had no idea.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  12:31:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

The team is just hoping that they can get in the ballpark offices in December 2010. The ballpark is to be completed in time for April 2011 games. The field and lights will be the same or better quality than CWS stadium fyi. The fan amenities will be better.

But the overall theme here is that you can't compare the two. One is for a 2 week event to sit as many people as possible for each CWS game and the other is for MiLB baseball and special events and will maximize the fan experience due to amenities.

Considering the fact that the budget for the Sarpy County stadium is less than half of the other AAA stadiums being built in recent years, skepticism as to the amount of "amenities" that will make it to BFE Ballpark is warranted.

Go to Top of Page

MetroFan
Freshman Mav

212 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  2:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The total project is approx $35MM when you take: land donations, infrastructure work by Papillion and Sarpy Co PLUS the $26MM for the stadium. Bid packages are coming in anywhere from 20-30% in cost savings versus the past few years as well.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  2:16:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple advantages the Sarpy Field has is free land and due to the economy, cheaper materials and labor.

I've been thinking of those who are against 2 baseball fields but yet want UNO to introduce another arena to a market that has 2 that are early in their life expectancy. It's also going to be interesting to see what UNO proposes their arena will cost for 8-10k.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 10/27/2009 :  3:50:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are two arenas early in thier life expectancy that UNO could play in?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000