Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 104

Greg S
All-Star Mav

3824 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2009 :  4:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually there is. My brother is engineer in town (and teaches a night class occassionally at the UNO Kiewit Institute) and he told me that now is the perfect time to build. He only builds on commericial projects and larger ones such as this. You're right the projects you mention are large but must have been underway for some time. There has been a slowdown on any new ones. Financing is hard to come by for developers, along with there being higher vacancies in the business sector. I had just spoke with him recently because my previous employer (where my wife still works) was looking into building a second major office in Omaha (they ended up buying an existing facility on the market). He stated very clearly though that materials are cheaper than they've been in some time and labor is as well.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10133 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  11:22:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has a name...

http://omaha.com/article/20090610/NEWS01/906109986
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4498 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  11:50:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is tdameritrade.com available online 2 weeks out of the year?

Idiots
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5090 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  12:47:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I swear this stadium is starting to look like the Sprint Center...

[img]http://www.tdameritradeparkomaha.com/images/stories/images/hp_stad_1.jpg[/img]

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

3824 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  1:30:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes it does. With the circular layout and glass. That would not be a bad thing, I think the Sprint Center looks great in person.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2390 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  4:03:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought maybe you were saying it was reminding you of the Sprint Center in that it will sit empty a majority of the time.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

3824 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2009 :  4:19:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sprint Center has actually ranked 5th nationally and 14th in the world in business level. I would take those for the new DT stadium.....

http://sprintconnection.kansascity.com/?q=node/1016
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4498 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  11:39:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Anybody see when the Royals new high school field stadium breaks ground?
Go to Top of Page

dante_ra
Freshman Mav

Monaco
61 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  12:22:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, I'm out of the loop on this.
Are they seriously building a stadium, solely for 2 weeks worth of use?

I figured, the royals would share like always, but now I'm reading that the royals are getting their own stadium.

What exactly are they planning to do the other 50 weeks a year with a $120 million stadium?

"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - Elbert Hubbard
"Winners are just ex-losers who got mad."
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5090 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  12:22:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No need to break ground. Just set the bleachers and port-a-potties out in the cornfield after harvest.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4498 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  1:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

No need to break ground. Just set the bleachers and port-a-potties out in the cornfield after harvest.

Touché

PS - Dante...nothing. They're going to do nothing with it, unless you count a half-dozen Creighton games in March in 40 degree weather, or the Independent league team that will bring together some of the finest baseball skilled painters, lawn mowers and copy repairmen in the area.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
Senior Mav

1797 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  1:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm reserving judgment on the royals stadium until I see actual plans and renderings.
Go to Top of Page

dante_ra
Freshman Mav

Monaco
61 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  2:26:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wow. I guess the revenue generated by the CWS makes it fiscally feasible. But still, I am stunned that the royals are getting their own, probably significantly lesser, stadium when this one will sit empty.
This seems like either a hissy fit between two groups, or gross incompetence.

"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - Elbert Hubbard
"Winners are just ex-losers who got mad."
Go to Top of Page

mavaholic
Sophomore Mav

USA
342 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2009 :  2:43:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"This seems like either a hissy fit between two groups, or gross incompetence."

A little from column A and little from column B.

Do you believe in miracles? YES! --Al Michaels
Go to Top of Page

mrkaline
Mav Scout in Indiana

Poland
1475 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2009 :  9:13:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dante_ra

Wow. I guess the revenue generated by the CWS makes it fiscally feasible. But still, I am stunned that the royals are getting their own, probably significantly lesser, stadium when this one will sit empty.
This seems like either a hissy fit between two groups, or gross incompetence.

Nobody wants to get married in a church that seats 5,000 if you only have 150 guests. It makes the event seem empty and small. No minor league team wants to play in a 24,000 seat ballpark. Look at the Qwest and see how empty that place seems when you put 6K fans in the building. I hope the Royals thrive as a family friendly entertainment choice.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

3824 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  10:06:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Our "fair and balanced" newspaper reports again on the Sarpy ballpark. I'm really "shocked" the OWH would have this take. :)

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090621/NEWS01/706219982
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5090 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2009 :  2:11:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not going to quibble with your assumption at all Greg...but I do have to wonder whether the Royals would consider averaging 7,000 fans a good number in Sarpy when you consider the increased expenses they'll be paying out there.

quote:
The Convention, Sports and Leisure study figured the Royals would average 6,000 fans per game — up from its five-year average of 4,741. Part of that is an anticipated jump in attendance from a new stadium's novelty.

Given the Royals' 20 percent bump in attendance this year, the county figured the Royals can draw 7,000 fans per game to the new stadium. That bumped up total sales tax projections about $800,000.

That attendance equates to the Royals selling out all of the new stadium's 6,000 fixed seats and attracting another 1,000 fans every night to berm seating, picnic areas and suites.

Martie Cordaro, the Royals' general manager, said that estimate is reasonable. Demand for tickets will increase at a smaller stadium, he said, and certain nights will draw 10,000 people.

“It's not just realistic, it's something that excites us as well,” Cordaro said.

Crowds over 10k occur several times a season now at Rosenblatt, but the upside from there is eliminated. So they'll have to do that 10k capacity on a regular basis in order to make this revenue positive for them.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4498 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  09:43:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is the College World Series REALLY important enough to build 180 million dollar stadium so that it can sit there empty all year round?

Seriously..think about it.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
Senior Mav

1797 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  10:22:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, what caused the change of heart? I'm just kind of wondering. I thought you were full steam ahead on the stadium when you started this thread (see the quote below). Personally, I was never for it. I was always for keeping Rosenblatt for the CWS, NU vs. Creighton games, and 4th of July Royals game and building the originally planned stadium in nodo for CU and the Royals.

What made you change your mind?

quote:
[i]For many years now, I have tried to warn you. I've told you that you have absolutely NO IDEA what kind of scum you are dealing with in the form of the NCAA and the billions of corporate dollars that are behind them.

I'm sure you mean well...but I want you to listen to me for one..final..time.

Are you ready?

If you do not build a new stadium...be it now or in the next few years..you will lose the CWS.

Period.

What the **** part about this is so difficult to understand? You're not dealing with the Boy Scouts or the Lions Club here. You're dealing with a corporation with the GDP the size of France, who pays absolutely no taxes...and will flick your dumb ass off the side of their sleeve as if you were nothing.

I'm telling you...nay...I'm begging you.

If you want the CWS to stay in Omaha...stop this idiotic campaign toward something you have absolutely no insight into. This is not comparable to where you should plant that new pear tree in your front yard. This is cut and dry.

Build it now..build it in a few years.

If you don't they will leave.

I'm not going to tell you again.

However, to answer your question, I do not think the CWS is important enough to build a new and empty stadium for. They keep talking about how much of an impact it makes on the city. Well, it impacts someone but not me. I don't get a CWS residency check in the mail every year. IMO, the people who benefit from it are mainly the business owners in the area, the people who sell their front yards for parking, politicians, and a few other fat cats in the city. So, no. I don't think it's that important.

That's probably why I was soured enough on the whole event this year that I didn't attend a single game. This is the first time I didn't go to a game in a good decade.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

3824 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  10:26:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have to say yes. It's our Indy 500. It's the one thing that Omaha has that really stands out nationally. It will payb for itself. I think people will be surprised in 5 years how much better this thing works out downtown.

That being said, no way indy baseball works there. Soccer and Lacross are bettter at Creighton's stadium. Creighton baseball will be swalled in that stadium. Unfortunately we'll have the CWS there, maybe a good NU/CU baseball, some tourneys maybe, a concert or two, and CU and a few hundred fans. It could have been better if done differently.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5090 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  12:31:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

Is the College World Series REALLY important enough to build 180 million dollar stadium so that it can sit there empty all year round?

Seriously..think about it.

It's actually $126 million...the other $14 million or so is to pay off the bonds on Rosenblatt.

As for whether it's worth it, absol-freakin-lutely...especially when you consider how Omaha is paying for it: rental cars and hotel taxes on something that people actually travel to attend. (Ignoring the misinformation being spread by BSZone for the moment.) Sarpy County residents are still hoping that they won't be left holding the bag on this deal.

It's a crying shame that our city fathers couldn't find a way to accomodate the Royals downtown. The mistake is that the stadium is going to be underutilized, not that it's being built.

Especially when we see what happens to the zoo afterwards.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4498 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  12:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The beginning of this thread solidifies my stance that in order for the series to stay...the stadium had to be built. That is not really much of an argument...even from me, who puts the CWS right up there with the BassMaster classic and the Scripts Spelling Bee.

However, even the most dense simpleton would have assumed that the Royals would play downtown. I mean, wouldn't any reasonably sane person assume that? Granted, people...myself included...failed to properly gage the stupidity, arrogance and greed of Roger Dixon/David SOkol matched up with the flat-out idiotic self-delusions of Bill Shea and Alan Stein.

It's like the perfect storm of stupidity.

PS - And I haven't even mentioned my annual rant against Dennis Pope and the minions of Satan that run that tournament....no matter if it's in a great new ballpark, or the parking lot of a Menards in Elkhorn. Evil is evil and evil should never be celebrated.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
Senior Mav

1797 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2009 :  2:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
knowing that the Royals had been floating the idea of a new ballpark and saying that Rosenblatt was not a permanent home for them for the better part of last decade, the second the downtown plans changed from a 8k stadium to a 25k CWS stadium I was worried that Omaha would lose the Royals.

Now, had Sarpy not stepped up and made an effort to give the Royals what they wanted, the Royals might have done just that. I think it would have been 60-40 that they'd have ended up in Sugarland, TX or some other city that would have built them a true minor league ballpark. There's also the chance that they would have played hardball for a while with the city of Omaha and eventually received the concessions they wanted to play downtown. I'm not sure.

However, I will reiterate that I was very concerned when the conversation about the downtown stadium changed. I'm just glad there were other options.
Go to Top of Page

mavaholic
Sophomore Mav

USA
342 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  10:21:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The deal is final....

and finally an answer to where the Papio money will come from. Oh, wait. Nevermind.

http://omaha.com/article/20090701/NEWS01/707029917/0/FRONTPAGE

Do you believe in miracles? YES! --Al Michaels
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4498 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2009 :  10:27:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congratulations Roger and MECA.

You officially f*cked up more than anybody could possibly imagine.

Enjoy hell.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
Senior Mav

1797 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  10:16:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/51535927.html

So, the Qwest Center is going to get paid off with property taxes. That wasn't supposed to happen, was it? hmmm what happened there? It was basically a guarantee that it was getting paid off with the immense revenue that it was going to generate. Sounds like the arguments for another project or two going on in the metro area.

Don't worry though, the new CWS baseball stadium will not require any property tax money. The thing is such a slam dunk that it'll practically pay for itself. Mike Fahey said so!

Ha. and if you believe that...

Get ready, citizens of Omaha, to pay the bill for the new baseball stadium. I guarantee that there'll be a few overly optimistic calculations here and a few necessary renovations there and before you know it, property taxes will go up in omaha.

Citizens of Sarpy, get ready to grab your ankles as well.

Of course, the fat cats will still get their wallets lined. A few of our esteemed "business leaders" have already levereged this to make a tidy little profit, I'm sure. It'll be on the taxpayers dime though.

Are all of you that argued so much of how incredible of a slam dunk the new ballpark was still towing the line?
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

3824 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  10:22:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The DT ballpark was a good investment. I do wish they had designed it and made it work for the Royals, that would have made it better and generated more and quicker development DT. That being said, the CWS is a cash cow for Omaha that we have locked up for 25 years. In college in the 80's (with smaller crowds at the CWS) I used to work summer's at Brandeis/Younkers when I came back for the Summer. Other than back to school, the 10 days the CWS was here was far and away the best time to sell. It's amazing how much we sold. It's more profound now. A buddy of mine is one of the owner's of Pizza Gourmet, they saw a hefty jump in sales for the 2 weeks that it was here this year (and one of their restaruants, on Maple is no where near a hotel). This happens all over town. So yes, I am still towing the line.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

3824 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  10:22:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Royals to break ground 8/12.

Greg

http://omahanewsstand.com/articles/2009/07/24/gretna_breeze/news//doc4a64e7066dc41721764529.txt
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
Senior Mav

1797 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  10:57:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it amazing and frightening that we are 3 weeks away from groundbreaking and we haven't seen a single ballpark rendering yet. I suppose they are going to unveil that at the groundbreaking, but it's obvious that they aren't concerned with any public input about the design of the structure at all.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
Senior Mav

1797 Posts

Posted - 07/24/2009 :  11:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

The DT ballpark was a good investment. I do wish they had designed it and made it work for the Royals, that would have made it better and generated more and quicker development DT. That being said, the CWS is a cash cow for Omaha that we have locked up for 25 years. In college in the 80's (with smaller crowds at the CWS) I used to work summer's at Brandeis/Younkers when I came back for the Summer. Other than back to school, the 10 days the CWS was here was far and away the best time to sell. It's amazing how much we sold. It's more profound now. A buddy of mine is one of the owner's of Pizza Gourmet, they saw a hefty jump in sales for the 2 weeks that it was here this year (and one of their restaruants, on Maple is no where near a hotel). This happens all over town. So yes, I am still towing the line.

Greg

sure. You've basically made my point for me. The CWS is a very profitable event for a select few people in Omaha. The vast majority of us aren't blessed enough to be retail, hotel, and restaurant owners who see a direct windfall from this. I certainly don't get my CWS check every year.

We are just expected to buy our tickets to help fill the stadium and make it look good on tv. It looks like those of you that actually live in Omaha and own property now get the priveledge of helping to pay for the stadium so that those restaurant, business, and hotel owners can make a little extra money each year. How generous of you and I guarantee the bill will be due in the next 5 years.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 104 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2014 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000