Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  06:52:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, that area is picking up steam quite a bit since the mall opened.

The real land grab now is just south of Offutt on the Kennedy. I think it's a flood plain, but there is all sorts of room down there. (Granted, it's a ways from pretty much everybody except those of us who live down there).
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  10:39:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did anybody catch the part on the news that the 370 location has someone that if the stadium is getting built is promising to have a multi sheet ice complex open at the same time out there? I assume it's dependent on the stadium because it needs the infrastructure. That makes that site more interesting. I would want to see that 100% of the financing is already available (or if he has the cash) to believe it 100% too.

I still think Cabela's is the best being right next to the interstate and the hotels and such there. That area could really takeoff in the right direction if you add the Royals.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

WoohooHcky
Junior Mav

577 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  12:22:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cabela's would not be ideal if that area of Sarpy wants to continue to grow. If the stadium is built there, then that's it. That area is done. There wouldn't be enough land to build more restaurants, hotels or shopping centers.

I'm all for the 370 location. It would allow for growth and opportunity in Sarpy County, because the only thing out there is Shopko Dist. Center and two lakes.

Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  12:55:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hadn't been out to the 126th Street/370 area until last Friday, when I toured it at a leisurely 15 miles an hour while following Phil Koeghan (of "The Amazing Race" fame) as our own Hal Dawg rode with him on his "Ride Across America" benefitting Multiple Sclerosis.

You don't notice what's out there while you're going the speed limit, but at 15 miles an hour, it's a pretty nice area. Lots of wide open space, that's for sure. Room for development. A "build it and they will come" sense to it.

I'll have to take a look at the Bellevue site next time I'm down there. I'm not familiar with it. And the Cabella's area is nice, but it's a *little* tough to get to (at least the Embassy Suites is...). Maybe I went the wrong way, but it was a little bit "over the river and through the woods" to get to it.

Shameless self-promotion -- Watch the Day 21 & 22 blog videos:
http://philridesacrossamerica.com/daily_blog.html

(Watch for the Admin's cameo doing the llama dance...)

And donate to the cause!!!
http://main.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR/Bike/CALBikeEvents?px=4136689&pg=personal&fr_id=10521

Phil has raised more than $11,000 so far.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  4:12:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WoohooHcky

Cabela's would not be ideal if that area of Sarpy wants to continue to grow. If the stadium is built there, then that's it. That area is done. There wouldn't be enough land to build more restaurants, hotels or shopping centers.

I'm all for the 370 location. It would allow for growth and opportunity in Sarpy County, because the only thing out there is Shopko Dist. Center and two lakes.

The stadium would not be the last thing at the Southport site. When this site was mentioned about a month ago as one of the 12 being considered, the developers mentioned a movie theatre and additional 300,000 to 400,000 square feet of retail/office spacen to follow.

Greg

Go to Top of Page

WoohooHcky
Junior Mav

577 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  5:43:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, according to the Sarpy County Chamber of Commerce, that is not accurate information. Regardless, I think you're missing my point.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/22/2009 :  6:31:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nothing new has started at that development for six months. We were told last fall that if the Royals didn't commit then it would be too late with all of the things that were coming. Nothing happened. They are looking for the stadium to be the catalyst to get that development moving again. I think without the Royals that development could go from being a destination exit to more of just a run of the mill one. If you look at the photo's of the developments that the OWH had you can see all of the stuff still to be added.

The more I hear about the 370 site, the more that one intrigues me though. They spoke about it quite a bit tonight on 1620.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  10:18:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dare you to go 15 mph on the Kennedy while looking at the Southroads site Bridget.

:)
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  2:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
just don't accidentally drive by the southroads and look at it.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  2:16:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hockey fans probably would like the 370 proposal, though I still maintain that based on the current setup for roads, 370 is just begging for a "FAIL". How do you get there? Well, take 370 west out of Papillion...which is not going to be a big deal for folks in Sarpy County, to be sure. But what about the people in Omaha? You can take the interstate, hop off at Cabelas, drive east towards 114th, then south to 370, then back to 126th. Google maps says that's 4.4 miles and 15 minutes. You could also get off at Cabela's, drive west on Giles past the Southport site, then drive south on 132nd to get to 370. That's 4.0 miles and 15 minutes as well. Or continue onto Sapp Brothers, get off on 144th and then turn on 370. That's 4.9 miles, but since more of it is divided highway, it's just 9 minutes from the interstate.

Build it, and they will come? Maybe. Or maybe they won't because it's too inconvenient to get to. I mean, it will take as long or longer to get there from anywhere in Omaha than the downtown stadium. The perception is that it's "right there" south of Millard, then the first time someone drives there, they'll realize "wow, I didn't think it was THAT far away."

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

WoohooHcky
Junior Mav

577 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  2:27:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have a lot of free time on your hands today
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  3:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you ever tried Google Maps? It's quite easy and fast to do. And since I'm home sick today...

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  4:22:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say for most people in Omaha, the best way to go would be to take I-80 to either 370 (a bit out of the way to the west) or to 144th and take that down to 370. That's a much better route than trying to take 114th or any of the dirt roads through unincorporated Sarpy to get there.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  4:43:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to sound like Rick's poodle here...but does the universe center around Millard?

Just cuirous.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  5:13:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

I'd say for most people in Omaha, the best way to go would be to take I-80 to either 370 (a bit out of the way to the west) or to 144th and take that down to 370. That's a much better route than trying to take 114th or any of the dirt roads through unincorporated Sarpy to get there.

What I'm trying to say is that 12th & Cuming is a better location for most of the metro Omaha area than 126th & Hwy 370. The exceptions: Millard, Papillion, Gretna, and probably Elkhorn and LaVista.

Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 04/23/2009 :  7:19:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm all for Chandler and I75 ... closest for me, but the 'in and out' roads will have to be looked at ... not the best set up right now

DBF
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of all who threaten it
Go to Top of Page

mrkaline
Mav Scout in Indiana

Poland
1475 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  9:04:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Seriously, are there any two places in Omaha that aren't within a 30 minute drive for 90% of the population? I'm not getting the "Site A" is too far away point of view?
Go to Top of Page

EdT
Freshman Mav

193 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  9:36:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrkaline

Seriously, are there any two places in Omaha that aren't within a 30 minute drive for 90% of the population? I'm not getting the "Site A" is too far away point of view?

A lot of people judge things by miles instead of time. Living north of Omaha most things are a 20 to 30 minute trip for us, no matter where they are. Village Point, Qwest Center or Oakview are all take about the same time to get to, even though they are all different numbers of miles from our house. But the typical mindset is to use miles as the gauge and not time.

I just got back from Fargo ND, a city about 1/2 the population of Omaha, and because of poor civic planning it can take you 45 minutes or more to go east to west in that town. If you're not traveling on I-29 north or south then traffic is backed up pretty much from 8:00 am to 6:00 pm. There are too few east-west streets and the few that do exists have stop lights at every block.

On a side note, I found out that Dave Christian, one of the 'Miracle on Ice' players, works for the customer we have there in Fargo.

>>The Definition of Madness is to repeat the same action over and over and expect a different result.<<
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2009 :  10:01:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree on the sites. None of them is a deal breaker. I do think the Royals prefer out west due to demographics.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

mavaholic
Sophomore Mav

USA
342 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  11:38:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The O Royals are running a non scientific poll as to which location the public favors for the new stadium. Appears as though Bellevue is making a grassroots push to get voters, based on their lead.

http://omaha.royals.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t541

Do you believe in miracles? YES! --Al Michaels
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  12:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mavaholic

The O Royals are running a non scientific poll as to which location the public favors for the new stadium. Appears as though Bellevue is making a grassroots push to get voters, based on their lead.

http://omaha.royals.milb.com/index.jsp?sid=t541

Do you believe in miracles? YES! --Al Michaels

I wonder what the poll would show if they included 12th & Webster.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  12:10:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was kind of surprising to me how many more supporters there were at the 3 meetings than naysayers. They were not near as contentious as the meetings Omaha had on the DT stadium.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  12:58:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that poll on the oroyals website could be the same people voting over and over too. I'm not reading too much into it. To me, it is the poorest of the sites for numerous reaons I've cited.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  1:16:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just tried to vote a 2nd time and it told me that I had already vote, the date I voted on and which one I voted for. I'm sure someone more technical than I could get around it though (maybe by simply clearing out the cookies?).

The site is designed and run by MLB as they do for the other minor league teams affiliated with Major League Baseball and all MLB websites.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  2:33:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

It was kind of surprising to me how many more supporters there were at the 3 meetings than naysayers. They were not near as contentious as the meetings Omaha had on the DT stadium.

Greg

From what I understood, the yard parking industry showed up in full force at the Omaha DT stadium meetings.

And since Sarpy still hasn't come up with their way to pay for it (LB 615 is stuck in committee with a month to go in the session), there isn't as much to oppose at this point.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  8:48:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mike that was part of it but not all of it at least the one they had that I went to. There was also an older crowd in force that just didn't want Omaha to take on any more debt by issuing bonds. They mentioned Qwest and the sewers frequently. You had others that flat out did not want to say goodbye to Rosenblatt after all the recent improvements. There was comments on whether or not DT could host CWS games on weekdays. I was there in support of the DT stadium and witnessed all of this. I wish it had just been people defending their parking money only.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 05/05/2009 :  8:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I just tried to vote a 2nd time and it told me that I had already vote, the date I voted on and which one I voted for. Greg

Just open up another instance of your browsers ... vote early, vote often ... go Belleuve!!!

DBF
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of all who threaten it
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  08:42:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing I do agree with Mike on is Sarpy's financing plan. I have no idea if it will make it out of committee or not but they better have a Plan B, something I have not heard anything on.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  11:05:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One way around much of the concerns about LB 615 is to go with the Bellevue location, since that's inside of city limits. Bellevue could take over some of the financing of the ballpark using the city sales taxes that the stadium could generate. I don't think that's going to be nearly enough from my perspective, though. (If it was, the Royals would already be playing at 15th & Webster downtown.)

But from my perspective, the Bellevue location probably is the most viable from the standpoint of using existing development tools on the books. I think LaVista has already earmarked most of the revenues from Southport to pay for Cabela's and the parking lots, so I don't think that would work there. And the cornfield at 126th & 370 is so far out in the boonies that nothing on the books today could pay the bills there.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/07/2009 :  11:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice Shatel article on the O Royals and their rise in attendance. I totally agree on their current front office, they are great to work with.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1921

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000