Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  10:21:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agreed with greg s. Stein has also said on many occasions that no team that charges for parking in the pcl charges more than $3. I could see them charging for it, but I highly doubt it would be $6 in Sarpy. I'd have no problem with a couple dollars.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  12:41:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

agreed with greg s. Stein has also said on many occasions that no team that charges for parking in the pcl charges more than $3. I could see them charging for it, but I highly doubt it would be $6 in Sarpy. I'd have no problem with a couple dollars.

I doubt he said that, because the Iowa Cubs charge $6.
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/ballpark/page.jsp?ymd=20070529&content_id=249903&vkey=ballpark_t451&fext=.jsp&sid=t451#Parking_

Oh, in case you think that's the exception? Indianapolis $5.
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/ballpark/page.jsp?ymd=20050824&content_id=23013&vkey=ballpark_t484&fext=.jsp&sid=t484

Colorado Springs? $5
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/ballpark/page.jsp?ymd=20060318&content_id=48634&vkey=ballpark_t551&fext=.jsp&sid=t551

Greg: If your argument is that MECA did a horrible job trying to negotiate with the Royals, I'll agree. But for months, people have been trying to imply that the cost of parking was a reason to not play downtown...and then it turns out that the Royals are looking to charge to park out in west Sarpy County.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  1:04:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wasn't just the cost of parking it was the entire cost going to MECA. Stein discussed parking revenues but stated with those other franchises they shared in the parking revenue. The Royals studied this and if you charge $6 for parking it will come from somewhere (less for concessions).

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  1:48:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
was unaware of the charges for those other teams. I did hear him on the radio and he painted it as if very few teams charge for parking and the ones that do only charge a few bucks. I guess that wasn't entirely correct. I don't have the time to research the whole thing, but I wonder how many out of the 30 AAA teams actually do charge for parking. I wonder if those 3 are in the minority at $5 and $6.

Either way, it can't be denied that the Royals are doing what they've said they were going to do with this. They have said for years that they'd be willing to make a significant commitment to a new stadium. Many have railed on them for years for their sweethart deal at Rosenblatt. Well, they are set to pay for good portion of the new stadium. With $2 million up front and $350,000+ per year for the next 25 years, that would put them around $11 million over $25 years.

If, and it's a big if, Sarpy can make the numbers work on their end with usage and lodging taxes as well as things like private donations and brick paver programs, this could be a good deal.

If they can't and they start talking about property tax or sales tax increases, I could be instantly turned against this.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  2:13:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

It wasn't just the cost of parking it was the entire cost going to MECA. Stein discussed parking revenues but stated with those other franchises they shared in the parking revenue. The Royals studied this and if you charge $6 for parking it will come from somewhere (less for concessions).

Isn't that something that can be negotiated as part of the larger contract? I'm not absolving MECA from any blame, but I'm suggesting both sides share the blame for the failure to negotiate a deal downtown.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  2:41:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it was painted that parking was part of city revenues to pay off the debt and that it was non-negotiable both in terms of the price paid by the customers and who got to keep the profits.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  4:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The times I've heard parking discussed by Roger Dixon he has stated that if he gave one tenant a break on parking it would open MECA up to having to give it to others. He was very clear on this point. I think that's crazy. You could make the stipulation on parking that if you commit to 10 years and 70 or more dates a year than you either get cheaper parking or a share of it.

Think about how many times we've debated the lease that UNO got into with MECA. The Royals just stood up to MECA so I can't blame them for it. (When UNO went to Qwest, the Civic was not under MECA's control so they did have an option)

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  5:14:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10584384

“Those pieces of legislation down in the Unicameral are key components to me if this is going to have any chance,” he said.

Sounds like this is nowhere near a done deal yet. I kinda get the feeling that their legislation won't pass the unicameral and they'll be back to square one, but with egg on their faces. Weird, considering the way the team was saying things like "we are staying in Omaha!" It seems like this deal is only rounding third and it looks like it's going to come down to a "play at the plate".
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  7:30:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Considering that one of those pieces of legislation was already defeated twice before in the legislature, I'd say that what we saw was a double in the bottom of the 18th inning, two outs, and a pitcher up to bat...with the bench depleted.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  10:15:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agreed. The legislation is a longshot at best.

Maybe they have a backup plan and they are just saying that this legislation not getting passed is a "deal breaker" as to not tip their hands. You'd think they'd have to have a plan B. Otherwise, they are likely to come out looking very foolish in all of this because I give the legislation a less than 10% chance of getting through.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  12:27:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They likely do have a plan B...but if they show that card now, there's even less incentive for the legislature to pass the bill. As it stands, the Sarpy County folks can stand in front of the Legislature and say that this is the ONLY way to save AAA baseball in the state of Nebraska.

Then someone will Omaha will hopefully step up and reply, no.

However, Sarpy doesn't need a Plan B, as they've got an out-clause on the deal that they can back out for any reason whatsoever before June 1. So if the deal falls through in the Legislature, they can back out penalty free.

That being said, the Royals must think that this deal has a decent chance, otherwise, they wouldn't have tied themselves to the agreement.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  12:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i can see that we are on the opposite sides of this. That's ok. I actually would prefer to see the royals in sarpy, because I don't see the downtown ballpark ever being fit to be a AAA stadium. I guess I'm on the Royals side with that. If Sarpy can get it done with a decent deal, I'm all for that too. I am opposed to them creating a shortfall in other areas by diverting taxes. So, in that regard, I'm still on the fence. We'll have to see how it plays out.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  3:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the downtown stadium, with about 16,000 seats and about 8,000 more in the bleachers is closer to AAA than the 6,000 seat ballpark Sarpy is proposing. Remember that the PCL has a minimum of 9 or 10 thousand seats, though it's pretty much assumed that the Royals already have the blessing of the PCL to downsize this much.

But more importantly, I think building two stadiums in this area is a tremendous waste of resources.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  4:14:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
isn't that pretty much the configuration that we have now for Rosenblatt at 16,000 and 8,000 (give or take)? Rosenblatt right now just such a cavern for AAA games. It's a great setting for college baseball in June, but for any other date for a AAA game, it just feels like a sea of seats and ugly red, yellow, and blue ones at that. :) Even when I've been there for higher attended games, it's just not a great experience outside of the fact that I love baseball.

I'm sure it would get a little better because the new stadium would be an upgrade, but I've always agreed with the royals that it's hard to make it an event with all those empty seats. It also hinders your franchise in selling tickets. Like we've seen with UNO hockey, when there is never a doubt that you can buy a ticket on the day of the game, why buy a season ticket? Then, when you don't buy a season ticket, it's just so much easier to find reasons not to go when the games actually arrive. I do feel that a smaller stadium (along with the KC royals getting their act together) would do wonders to actually make the Royals a commodity again in the Omaha market. I do remember the days when A. they were winning and B. they had a decent minor league environment that they always did well. That's just my thought though and I do see your side of it.

I agree that two stadiums in this market and in this economy is a waste of resources. However, I don't see any movement (unless daub really could pull a miracle) that will entice the Royals downtown. To me, it becomes more of a choice between having the royals and not having the royals. In that case, I'll take keeping the Royals in town if the cost comes even close to making sense. Although, I'm in the minority that goes to way more Royals games each year than CWS games and I'm in that slim group that also questions the necessity of the CWS to Omaha. I know the CWS helps some directly and others indirectly, but I can guarantee that I see nothing from it myself unless we start going 5 steps down the road and start going into hypothetical tax hikes from lost CWS revenue. To me, those arguments are always shaky because I have a hard time buying that this city and state are so locked into the CWS that our taxes would immediately go up if the CWS wasn't here considering what our tax burden is already like.

On the other hand, I do know what kind of entertainment value I've gotten from the Royals over the last 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  4:59:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm going to a ticket holders party tomorrow night at the Stadium Club (I just by the GA books). I'm going to ask some questions this this, like how much the total stadium in Sarpy will be with berm seating and picnic tables. DT will have seating for 24k. I don't think many if any PCL stadiums top 15k do they?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  5:04:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Salt Lake City stadium capacity is 15,500.

GReg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/13/2009 :  5:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I'm going to a ticket holders party tomorrow night at the Stadium Club (I just by the GA books). I'm going to ask some questions this this, like how much the total stadium in Sarpy will be with berm seating and picnic tables. DT will have seating for 24k. I don't think many if any PCL stadiums top 15k do they?

Greg

thought about going to that ticketholders party, but probably won't make it down there. Let me know what you find out. Those are good questions.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2009 :  10:13:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Here's a ballpark figure for you: $2 million.

Sarpy County would pay about that much each year to pay off construction debt on a 6,000-seat Triple A stadium, a county official says.

Even though the amount the Royals would kick in to the deal is outlined in a proposed 25-year lease agreement, big questions remain about how the county would pay its portion of the $26 million project.

The County Board could vote on the agreement without knowing the location and cost of a site or the fate of legislation that Sarpy County Attorney Lee Polikov said Friday is "critical" to funding it.

County officials are placing their hopes on new taxing authority that could be the key to the deal.

quote:
The $2 million-a-year estimate for construction-debt payments — dependent on interest rates and the actual construction cost — could be on the high side, Sarpy County Fiscal Administrator Brian Hanson said Friday.

"It could be less than that, probably wouldn't be too much more, but it could be," Hanson said.

The county also would be responsible for capital maintenance on the stadium, everything from electrical wiring to concessions fixtures. No estimate of those costs has been provided.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10586389

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  09:11:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was a pretty cool event. Sounds like it could be 6,600 seats and a capacity of about 10k. We're definitely not there yet until ground gets broken though.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/16/2009 :  9:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mayors of LaVista, Bellevue, Papillion, Springfield, and Gretna have united in opposition to the three bills that are supposed to pay for the new Sarpy County ballpark.

quote:
But the mayors of Papillion, La Vista, Springfield, Bellevue and Gretna are concerned that this legislation could jeopardize the amount of sales and property taxes collected, that additional retail near the ballpark could hurt businesses inside the cities and that the county has given no opportunity for "meaningful public input or participation."

"The use of this financing mechanism could effectively block otherwise beneficial annexation," the letter states.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10588298

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  09:06:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can definitely see the side of the Mayor's on this one.

One thing I truly believe, this is a Sarpy vs Sugarland battle. Omaha is not really a factor, as far as a home for the Royals.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  11:01:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
you hit the nail on the head. The Omaha World Herald published a very narrowminded and uninsightful editorial on Sunday saying that all parties involved needed to figure it out and that this community was better than this and needed to find a way to get the royals downtown.

It offered no solutions to the problem and really didn't even address the problem. That's what seems to be going on with alot of people. They see the stadium downtown and think that it's a no-brainer to have the royals playing there despite the fact that it is not a stadium that suits their needs. It's a square peg in a round hole. It's a pair of size 14 shoes for someone that wears a size 10. Or, insert any other analogy that you like. It just doesn't work for them.

so, I agree with you. This fight isn't between omaha and sarpy. It's between sarpy and the other cities that want to rob us of 70 nights a year of minor league baseball.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  12:53:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are the problems? We know that parking is now a red herring. Is it stadium size? Close off the upper deck, and you've got about a 16,000 seat stadium. That's a touch bigger than other AAA stadiums, but it's not 33% under the AAA minimium either. (A 6,000 seat stadium makes it very difficult to increase attendance 30% from the 5400 average attendance the Royals currently have. It requires you to have 1000 people sitting on the grass EVERY game. That cold Tuesday night in April. That stormy night in June.)

Is it then money? Well, that's exactly the point of that W-H editorial.

Oh, and here comes the development around the North Downtown stadium.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1208&u_sid=10588252
quote:
A new four-story building across the street from home plate will feature retail space as well as offices and apartments.

Bluestone Development has partnered with Davis Business Ventures to build the mixed-use project, which will sit on a triangular parcel at the southwest corner of 13th and Cuming Streets. That's northeast of the Saddle Creek Records complex and west of the ballpark, between home plate and first base.

The $5 million project, along with a neighboring Bluestone building under construction at 13th and Webster Streets, fits well with the independent record label's two-building complex, a Saddle Creek developer said.

"Both of those buildings really fall into what we were doing, with the retail on the main floor and other uses above it," Jason Kulbel said. "I think it's another good example of people following what the original concept for north downtown was."

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  1:32:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For size you've got UNO at Qwest. You still have a bunch of empty seats up top.

Concessions. Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't UNO get nothing from concession at Qwest. Accoring to the paper the Royals get 100% at the blatt and would do the same in Sarpy. That's a big gap to bridge.

We know the deal on parking and MECA's unwillingness to negotiate cheaper parking or to share the revenues.

Exactly what in the DT stadium was factored with a minor league team's needs? Anything?

They will get all of the above in Texas.

I heard at the Royals deal the other night there would be 6600 seats and a capacity of over 10k.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  1:54:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also know that as far as Alan Stein is concerned he did not know of any other AAA team that had to deal with a MECA like entity. The others all had some sort of control of the stadiums they played in.

Plus in Texas or Sarpy you don't have to vacate the stadium for 3 weeks.

Look I'd prefer the Royals to play DT but I have not seen any proposal or heard of one that would compete with what the Royals would get in Sugarland TX. Sarpy comes closest (but rememberm, down there the stadium funding is already in place the Royals would not have to contribute to the cost of building). I think it's great the Royals have tried to hard to stay in this market.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  2:41:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
West O, Greg S had some good points. He basically nailed it. I maintain that the OWH editorial was narrowminded. It was nothing but a cheerleader peice to use their clout to try to push sentiment towards their own wishes to have the Royals play downtown. It offered no solutions to the publicized problems just general opinion. It is the OWH's right to say what they want and take any stand they want, but I don't agree that it's the right thing for the Royals. They are still a private business and no matter how much it suits the city or even the Omaha taxpayers agenda to have them down there, it makes little sense for them and I understand their wish not to be pigeonholed into the stadium. The problems on the Royals end are myriad.

Most of this mirrors what Greg S has been saying, but I'll add to it.

1. Stadium size. It is has been a problem for the Royals and would continue to be a problem at the new stadium. I would think that fellow UNO Maverick Hockey fans would understand this problem more intimately than anyone else. When you have an huge surplus of seats, it is hard to convince people to buy and keep season tickets. When you always know that you can buy a ticket on the day of the event, you have little need to buy your tickets in advance. It becomes easier to find reasons not to go the day of and buy tickets. Things always come up; however, if you get a season ticket committment in advance, you've got them. The only way to do that is to make your tickets a hot commodity. If there is a sense of short supply, people will buy your packages. A smaller ballpark can only enhance your atmosphere and make it a louder and more enjoyable event. UNO hockey sees that every time they go back to the civic. The Royals in any 24,000 seat stadium is still going to feel like a few thousand people in a cavern. A smaller ballpark and a better, more intimate, atmosphere, will only further lead to your ticket becoming a hotter ticket.

2. The parking thing is still misunderstood by many. My laymans understanding of it, and I could be wrong, is that the city keeps the parking fees paid at Qwest and the new stadium. That $6 is not shared by UNO, Creighton, or the Royals. The Royals would control parking at the new ballpark. So, if they do choose to charge for it, they can do so while having more wiggle room on ticket deals and concession deals. They may not even charge as much as $6 at a Sarpy ballpark. If fans are paying $6 at the downtown ballpark, that's just less revenue that the Royals are going to see inside the stadium in terms of concessions. Also, it's a tough sell at $6 down here considering a "get you in the door" ticket at Rosenblatt is $7. Paying almost the cost of a ticket to park your car is a tough sell to many especially minor league baseball fans who focus on cost and value.

3. Agree with Greg S. about vacating the stadium for 3 weeks. It's not only vacating the stadium, but it's vacating the offices and lockers. I know that the royals were given an option of paying into having their own private offices and lockers, but I see little incentive for them to do that when the nuts and bolts of the stadium, the seating, is 3 sizes to big for them and all of this was decided without their input and needs in mind.

4. I'm fairly sure that the Royals were told that if they played in the new downtown stadium, that they would not have total control of the in-stadium ad-placements. This would be consistent with the situation at the Qwest Center with Creighton and UNO where MECA has control of at least half of all ad placements and graphics. The Royals argument is that this is not an acceptable arrangement for them considering that they do have control of their ad placements at Rosenblatt and, while I don't have real data on this, stein has said publically on several occasions that most minor league teams do control all of the in-arena ad placements. It sounds like Stein is concerned with competing with MECA on in-game ad revenue and I don't have a reason to argue with his stance on this.

5. Do UNO and Creighton keep all of the money from their merchandise sales at the Qwest? Something tells me there's a split on that and I don't think the Royals are comfortable with that either. I also don't believe that UNO or Creighton get any cuts of concessions. The Sarpy deal would give the Royals concession rights.

6. A suburban stadium also seems to mesh better with a minor league teams stance of affordable and economical fun. For the Royals, I could see why they would want to position themselves and market themselves out west. This is closer to many, many more families and is essentially in their backyards. The downtown stadium may be nice, but I don't know if it will work for minor league baseball for another reason and that's the driving factor. Omaha is a funny place. You can get anywhere within 15 minutes and we have one of the safest downtowns that I know of. Yet, to John and Jane in the suburbs, they often act like driving downtown is akin to an act of god. They don't want to do it if they don't have to and choose to stick to their suburban areas whenever possible. They also feel safer there since there is a somewhat misguided notion in this city that downtown isn't safe. a downtown arena or stadium works very well for Creighton and the CWS because those are big events in an event town. I fear that the smaller crowds that go to royals games would hate the further drive and feel "less safe" down there with their kids. This is just total opinion on my part though.

Basically, the city and the powers that be decided on a stadium, told the royals generally what it was going to be like, gave them a few buy in options on the structure, dictated strict contract terms with them, and then told them to take it or leave it. I can't blame the Royals for balking at that.

This Sarpy deal is a good deal for the Royals, but it's not a sweetheart deal by any means. They've stuck to their word in that they've always said that if a stadium suits their needs and fits their business model, they'd be willing to pony up financially. They've done that. This is a big committment from them to the community and shouldn't be dismissed.

It really comes down to the question of whether or not the city wants AAA baseball. They shouldn't have to play in a ballpark that doesn't fit them just because it fits the city's plan. Either we build something that accomodates their style of business or we let them go. However, I find it disturbing to see yet another professional sports franchise leave omaha because we don't support them and don't care about their needs. It's happened too many times already. Also, I have absolutley no interest in watching the American Association weekend warriors play in the downtown ballpark. that's a recipe for disaster. I think I just threw up a little in my mouth thinking about the American Association.

The OWH and others need to recognize that our city is a interesting situation. We are not like other towns. Other cities don't have the luxury of the CWS and can build their minor league ballparks to suit. We are going to have to do that too with a 2nd ballpark or witness a 42 year resident of the city pack up for greener pastures.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  4:49:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Other than the stadium size and the College World Series, everything is negotiable. And that was the point of the W-H editorial. It wasn't aimed only at the Royals, but rather at MECA as well. Both sides need to compromise. The advertising issue is probably the biggest red herring. If the only event at the downtown stadium is the CWS, as some imply...well, the NCAA doesn't allow advertising, so MECA is getting zero advertising revenue anyway.

All of those issues boil down to revenue, and who gets the revenue. Stein is willing to pay more to play out in Sarpy County because he gets more revenue in Sarpy. If MECA doesn't want to share that revenue, they need to find a way to compromise and charge him less so the bottom line result is palatable to Stein.

The issue about "families" is another red herring. Sure, the Sarpy stadium would work fine for families in Millard. But what about those families at 90th & Fort? In Bellevue? In Council Bluffs? For every family they move closer to, I'd guess they move away from twice as many.

Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  4:49:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nousefouraname

Shouldn't this also have to make financial sense for the City/County that will be supporting the team/ballpark as well. You may have just not touched on it, but that sure seems to be the point of many in Sarpy, it may not pay for itself. Great the the Royals get the 5-6K ballpark they want, and can afford to pony up some $$, and familys love it, but what about the County. It's not just about the Royals, they are not paying for the park alone.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/17/2009 :  5:44:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
adammd i agree that it needs to make sense for the royals and sarpy. i'd hope the elected officials know what they are doing there, but that's not really the royals concern
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/18/2009 :  09:02:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For families at 90the and Fort it's not a major issue to go to the Sarpy Stadium. You just take Blair High Road or Fort to 680 then it's pretty easy (my first house was at 78th and Crown Point).

Revenue is the key. Plus as long as you play in a 24k seat stadium, there is very little incentive for people to buy any sort of season ticket packages (same applies for college hockey in 17k arena).

Stein also mentioned that even if they got a lease DT they're not sure the PCL would approve it.
I'm not sure on that point but he probably knows more than me.

Another issue that he brought up in the OWH is that they would not have their own offices and clubhouses (this is where Omaha failed to incorporate minor league baseball at all into the planning for the stadium).

Anybody know why MECA has not signed Creighton ye? Initially this was supposedly a done deal but nothing has been announced yet. With Creighton on a building freeze I thought we would see something on it. Stein said he would not approach Creighton but if that fell through Creighton, UNO, Bellevue, and the NAIA would all be welcome to look into using the Sarpy facility (providing they could work around each other's schedule.

Until they break ground though, I could see the Royals in Sarpy, Sugarland and despite what I put, it still could happen DT (though I think that is the biggest longshot).

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000