Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  12:50:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stein bought the Royals in 2006, IIRC. But keep in mind that perceptions can last a long time until somebody rattles the cage loud enough for people to notice. Remember when UNO was going to the NCAA tournament, and some fans were surprised since they thought UNO was still in last place? That first season in the Qwest Center did a lot of damage to the program in terms of perception.

As for Southport, I wonder what property they are thinking of? Or maybe the economic downturn tabled the plans to build office space west of Cabelas, so now that option is back on the board.

Last summer, Fahey indicated that the subsidies the city was providing to the Royals were included in the stadium financing plans to help keep the Royals downtown. It makes me wonder whether the whole MECA/Royals disagreement was set up to help Daub's pending mayoral bid.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  3:01:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you're right on the perception/time issue.

I also think you're correct in the downtown impacting the office space west of Cabela's. I don't think anything has happened since this summer.

I'm not sure what happens next but I will never count Hal out. Many other mayors talked about a new arena but Hal was the only one that delivered.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  12:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now Sarpy County is thinking about something the size of Haymarket Park.
quote:
The inspiration for what might be the new Royals park in Sarpy County is Fluor Field in Greenville, S.C., home of the Greenville Drive, the Class A affiliate of the Boston Red Sox. It's a cozy park, designed by Omaha's DLR Group, with 5,000 permanent seats, 18 suites, a roof-top party deck, berm areas on the ends and a 30-foot "Green Monster" wall in left field. Think Haymarket Park, only with a "Green Monster."

Fluor Field was built for $18 million in 2005. Stein told Brashear, "That's gorgeous. Build me one of those."

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10564757

The Royals averaged 5400 fans a night last season, so they're banking on a sellout every night with fans willing to camp out on the berms.

Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  12:33:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been mostly a proponent of the Royals playing downtown and still think that would be best but reading this article this morning in the paper and the thought of people on the grass berm actually got me more excited at the thought of a smaller park to enjoy the Royals.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/15/2009 :  5:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the berm seating. Even when we have seats at NU games we always head out to the berm for part of the game. We've sat there for an entire game it's great.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  09:07:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the Royals are talking about a 5,400 seat stadium...then they're bluffing. 5,400 would put them FOUR THOUSAND SEATS below the smallest ballpark in all of AAA. (Which is in Pawtucket, RI and is somewhat famous) This is absolutely idioitic and quite possibly the stupidest idea I've ever heard of.

http://www.ballparksofbaseball.com/aaaballparks.htm

Doesn't matter.

It's a trick to make Roger play ball. Nothing less.
Go to Top of Page

mrkaline
Mav Scout in Indiana

Poland
1475 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  8:00:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can I ask something..... How the heck did you people approve of MECA running things?
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/17/2009 :  11:12:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was supposed to make sure things didn't get politicized.

(Yeah...that worked REAL well, didn't it...)

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  11:41:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrkaline

Can I ask something..... How the heck did you people approve of MECA running things?

I voted "no," but people kept saying, "we need MECA so it'll be an independent body like the Airport Authority."

There is a big difference between running an airport (which is governed by the FAA), and an entertainment/convention venue (which, apparently, isn't run by anyone other than MECA )
Go to Top of Page

MavRick
A Better Fan Than You

USA
-3935 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2009 :  1:01:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Given the city council at the time, I thought business people from the community would be much better managers of the arena. I think that could still be true, but if you asked me today I'd say voting to form MECA was a grave mistake.

The thing I didn't account for was that MECA would not consider itself a servant of the community or responsible on issues like parking lots or integration with surrounding neighborhoods. Darth's statement about ballpark-integrated retail "It's a ballpark, not a shopping center," was some of the most arrogant, short-sighted nonsense I've heard out of anybody.

The guy has been bad news for anything other than booking acts.

"This guy wouldn't know majesty if it came up and bit him in the face." Strong Bad, "Dragon"
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/23/2009 :  1:18:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the O-Royals want to know why they've become such a joke in this city, they should take a look at their whole operation. On a whim, I am thinking about buying a pair of mini-packs for this season. Well, I've tried to call their ticket office (since you can't buy their tickets online) to get some more info on their offers and no one ever answers. I called 3 seperate times on friday, no answer and then I finally left a message this afternoon. It's been 2.5 hours with no return on that call.

FWIW, I called the Iowa Cubs on a whim to see if this type of "service" is typical of AAA baseball teams in the offseason. Well, the I-Cubs ticket office answered on the 2nd ring. You'd think that the O-Royals would at least be somewhat concerned with selling their product since they are supposedly trying to get a new stadium built.

I guess I shouldn't expect anything more from them.
Go to Top of Page

Bebe
New Recruit

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  08:48:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrkaline

MECA is the biggest reason UNO will never have their own Hockey arena. MECA is David Sokol. And when David says no to something it's NO. MECA is a power hungry, dictatorship.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  08:54:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, I'm going to say the above post if the furthest from an experience I've ever had with the current O Royals. I buy at least one usually 2 GA books every year. Normally they call me a few weeks before the season and I just do it over the phone. I saw the above and called, 738-5100. Paul answered on the 2nd or 3rd ring. I told him what I wanted, he took my credit card and is sending me the tickets today. I did the above at 8:45AM on 2/24...

I've also dealt with the O Royals for company picnics and such they've always been 1st class. Definitely under Alan Stein they have checked in with me the most each year as the season approaches and then checked back during the year.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  09:26:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

OK, I'm going to say the above post if the furthest from an experience I've ever had with the current O Royals. I buy at least one usually 2 GA books every year. Normally they call me a few weeks before the season and I just do it over the phone. I saw the above and called, 738-5100. Paul answered on the 2nd or 3rd ring. I told him what I wanted, he took my credit card and is sending me the tickets today. I did the above at 8:45AM on 2/24...

I've also dealt with the O Royals for company picnics and such they've always been 1st class. Definitely under Alan Stein they have checked in with me the most each year as the season approaches and then checked back during the year.

Greg

I wouldn't be surprised they picked up on the first ring today. I emailed marty cordero about their "service" over the last couple of days and he called me back immediately and said that he'd have to make sure that never happened again. I emailed him at 5:30 yesterday and he got back within 5 minutes.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  11:04:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Marty is great. I've exchanged emails with him on the stadium stuff. I've never had a problem when I've called them in the past either. They've always been great. I think you might have just got caught up on a freak mistake.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/24/2009 :  3:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
his response was very impressive.
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  12:13:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10575359

---
Go to Top of Page

krutov 9
All-Star Mav

Russia
2987 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  12:49:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 sheets of ice ? NIce............
Go to Top of Page

jonesy498
Junior Mav

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2009 :  7:46:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 sheets would be great. My daughter and I love going skating, so the more options the better.

"Where's the kaboom? There is supposed to be an Earth shattering kaboom!"
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  10:06:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I love the idea of more ice time in Omaha.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  11:45:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New ice rinks in Sarpy County is a good idea. A 5000 seat ballpark in Sarpy County is still a bad idea.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  3:24:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It should be an interesting week with Alan Stein coming to town.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2009 :  10:21:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everybody seems to think that we're going to get an tentative agreement this week.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  08:58:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's what I've read as well. Just wondering on the details that will come out. Sounds like the exact location though might follow on later date as they look through the different offers they've received.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2009 :  12:43:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
From what I hear, we also won't hear how they're going to pay for it either. Which means that while we may have an announcement, we'll have absolutely no way to know how legitimate the whole proposal is.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2009 :  06:47:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Talk is now of a 25 year deal, but highway 370 south of Papillion seems to be a leading location.

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/40653577.html

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2009 :  08:13:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarpy is not a done deal yet:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10580625
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2009 :  6:13:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tentative agreement signed:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10583433

The agreement itself is supposed to be made public Thursday according to Unsportsmanlike Conduct on 1620. It may be leaked before then though.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  06:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still no information about how Sarpy is going to fund most of this. But it looks like the Royals may pay more than previously reported.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10584384
quote:
The Royals agreed to pay $2 million in cash, an annual rent of $450,000 - periodically adjusted for inflation over the 25-year life of the agreement - and $350,000 for stadium pre-development.

The team would manage the stadium and have exclusive rights to schedule and play home games and other Royals events. The Royals would have exclusive control of ticket sales, concessions, parking, advertising and media rights.

However, Sarpy County would be allowed to stage at least five events a year there and receive net non-concessions revenue after paying costs and a 10 percent fee to the Royals.

The team would pay operations and maintenance costs, such as maintaining the turf and hiring and paying groundskeepers, ticket sellers and takers, security guards, announcers and scoreboard operators.

The Royals would get all revenue from ticket sales and suite leases. The Royals would keep the first $300,000 in annual naming rights sold. The team would split any naming rights money above that amount with Sarpy County.

The agreement also gives the first glimpse of the stadium's size: 6,000 seats, 15 suites and berm seating at a total project cost of $26 million - well below the consultant's estimate of $40 million.

Besides the fact that Sarpy STILL doesn't explain how they'll pay for the other $10-$15 million, here's the other things that make this even more bizarre:
quote:
The agreement reveals that Sarpy County hopes to lure a small-college championship event to the new ballpark. If approved, Sarpy County and the Royals agree to work with Bellevue University to submit bids to host the championship tournament of the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics.

After complaints about having to vacate the stadium for the College World Series, the Royals and Sarpy want to pursue the NAIA College World Series, which lasts 8 days?
quote:
The Royals manage the parking areas and set fees, if any, and retain the revenue.

So much for that parking canard.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/12/2009 :  10:16:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure what you're getting at on parking? If there is parking fees the Royals would receive the revenue and set the price (DTO-$6 bucks and it all goes to MECA).

Also teams go on 8-10 day road trips so I can see the deal with Bellevue University. For the CWS you double that to 19-20.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000