Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Mojo325is
McQueen...

Brazil
1654 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  1:27:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Instead of thinking just about AAA vs. Indy League baseball, look at the O-Royals as a local business that has been active in the community for over 40 years.

------------

Trying to elude the Mickey Mouse Brigade
Go to Top of Page

twiztid1
Sophomore Mav

288 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  1:36:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mrkaline

I think the bigger point is why should Omaha get high level professional teams? Some times you have to start small, show you can support an organization, then bigger and badder organizations will come calling. By not supporting the AHL or AAA baseball teams, you have said to the market, we are a tiny city. Maybe the Knights and Royals could have done things better, but I doubt high level organizations are considering Omaha as a potential destination based on the numbers those teams had drawn. I think A ball or independant leagues are where Omaha has placed itself in the marketplace. Maybe Omaha will support the big events (Swimming/NCAA basketball/CWS), but if you aren't associated with UNL, UNO, or Creighton, don't bother. Anybody think differently?

No major league will ever enter Omaha so it doesn't matter. I don't care that Omaha isn't more supportive of minor leagues. Our d1 sports are more exciting and they actually count for something. The Royals actually understand that. That's why they want a smaller stadium. It will improve the atmosphere and they can do more entertainment wise
Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1723 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  2:08:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mojo325si: I think you hit the nail on the head regarding how Omaha (MECA) should have been looking at the O-Royals. I'm betting they could have gotten them into the stadium with some minor and relatively reasonable consessions.

"You can't spell Worst without W!
Go to Top of Page

Mojo325is
McQueen...

Brazil
1654 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  2:15:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Steve:
Thanks, glad to see that someone other than my grandma reads The Reader.

------------

Trying to elude the Mickey Mouse Brigade
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 01/09/2009 :  09:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mojo325is

Instead of thinking just about AAA vs. Indy League baseball, look at the O-Royals as a local business that has been active in the community for over 40 years.

I feel very uncomfortable when I agree with Adam
Go to Top of Page

mavaholic
Sophomore Mav

USA
342 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  11:08:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10541655

Do you believe in miracles? YES! --Al Michaels
Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  12:38:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know that the designs that we have seen are going to be close and it can change, but the official design is being released to the public the day they break ground? I don't get that.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2009 :  12:58:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's because the designs haven't been approved yet. The design standards committee is pushing for more retail and other changes. So at this point, they are only approved to start footings and excavation. Granted, that limits what changes can be done, but there still is some effort underway to modify things.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2009 :  12:52:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarpy County starts begging for state money, and hears crickets:
quote:
The proposals will have to overcome significant skepticism in the Legislature, judging from the reactions of several Omaha-area senators.

Sen. Jeremy Nordquist of Omaha, whose district includes Rosenblatt Stadium and the new downtown ballpark, opposes using state tax money for a facility that isn't expected to draw people from out-of-state. He said he might consider supporting a proposal that doesn't involve any state dollars.

"I think they really have to make the case this is going to be beneficial to the state of Nebraska," he said.

The state has a substantial investment in the Qwest Center and in riverfront development, said Sen. Brad Ashford of Omaha, who was instrumental in getting the financing for the Qwest Center.

He said lawmakers need to be very cautious about supporting something that could detract from that investment.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10543795

The only new idea that might have a shot is the cigarette tax, but that's probably not a reliable long-term funding mechanism. "STAR" type financing has failed twice before in a better economy, and Sarpy still hasn't proposed anything to attract people to the area.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  12:23:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Creighton vs. North Dakota State 3 game series is only 8 weeks away.

Naturally, we can look to such high powered events such as this (played in March at 1pm) to keep the stadium afloat during the 340 or so days when the CWS is not in town.

Nice going Roger

D0uchebag.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  1:05:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with you. The only time I'll be at the new stadium is for the CWS session or two I attend. Kind of sad that we are building such a great facility and it will be so poorly attended all but 2 weeks a year.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  3:46:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note: if anything, this statement is meant to justify an empty stadium over Roger's lame idea

The stadium stays afloat regardless of whether any activities are held in it beyond the 10 or so days of the CWS. The CWS generates enough economic activity in Omaha that the remaining 235 days of the year (approximately*) do not require any activities to justify the stadium's existence. While it would be nice to have something actually attendance-worthy in the stadium during those 235 or so days the CWS is not occurring, it is not actually necessary.

* calculation: 365 days/year - 120 days (Nov, Dec, Jan, Feb: when nothing will be held outdoors in the stadium anyway) - 10 days (CWS approximation, 2009 CWS is June 13-23/24) = 235 days

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2009 :  5:18:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really wouldn't make any rash judgments about the new stadium until some definitive agreements are made.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  1:13:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm... MECA board member Hal Daub is now breaking ranks with David Sokol and Darth.
quote:
Mayoral candidate Hal Daub says he wants to make a deal with the Omaha Royals.

If elected this spring, Daub says, he will do everything he can to convince the Royals to play at the city's new downtown baseball stadium.

The Royals are in exclusive negotiations with Sarpy County through mid-March about building a stadium there.

"I will make a deal to bring the Royals to the baseball stadium," Daub told a press conference this morning. "We all have to roll up our sleeves to make it happen."

Daub said securing a deal with the Royals is part of his 10-year plan to boost Omaha's economy by creating jobs, building partnerships and attracting new businesses.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10559326

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  2:27:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Unforunately as we have seen MECA does their own thing no matter what the mayor wants. The only hope we have is that they have friendlier relations with Daub. It will be interesting if Daub is elected, he definitely can stir things up like no other.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2009 :  10:37:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Unforunately as we have seen MECA does their own thing no matter what the mayor wants. The only hope we have is that they have friendlier relations with Daub. It will be interesting if Daub is elected, he definitely can stir things up like no other.

Ummm...look who is Daub's biggest individual financial supporter: David Sokol.
http://leavenworthstreet.blogspot.com/2009/02/moneymoneymoneymoneymoney.html

So now MECA is now signaling to the Royals that they are ready to play ball.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2009 :  2:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If Hal is elected it will be interesting to see if suddenly MECA is able to offer the Royals things that they previously stated they could not do. It would be great for Omaha if they did (based on the past though I have serious doubts on MECA's willingness to negotiate for the benefit of Omaha). The Royals in DT is the best option though, again if that does not happen I hope Sarpy comes through. Worst case scenario is the Royals end up somewhere else entirely and I end having to drive to KC for more Royals cames and Des Moines to hit a few AAA games (independent league is not an option for me).

GReg
Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  10:11:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought the idea of the Lancers having some sort of Winter Classic outdoors at the ballpark in February was a neat idea ... Plus it would lower W_O_M's use projections by 1 day.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  12:16:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, I'd suggested an outdoor game in February for UNO as a substitute venue when the state wrestling meet was being held over at the Qwest Center. Not sure how that would work (would Notre Dame have to approve?), but imagine the Notre Dame series outdoors this year.

They've talked about doing public skating over the holidays, so it doesn't take much to expand that rink to be regulation size and add boards. I'd think the ice plant would be the big expense.

Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  12:24:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would it require an ice plant, or would it be like when I was a kid and my dad would put down some plastic and plywood and flood it?

I'd imagine they could get a corporate supporter to underwrite the fixed costs -- especially if the proceeds are for charity, like the Lancers talked about.

(BTW, this is the longest thread in Mavpuck's history.)
Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  2:32:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

If Hal is elected it will be interesting to see if suddenly MECA is able to offer the Royals things that they previously stated they could not do. It would be great for Omaha if they did (based on the past though I have serious doubts on MECA's willingness to negotiate for the benefit of Omaha).

What MECA wasn't willing to do with the Royals, was lose money on them going forward, like the City has for years. Now if they change course and decide to give in, then IMO that would be acting in Hal the Mayors best interest, not the city of Omaha's best interest.

Granted, the City was only losing 750K a year on the Royals, not counting any economic impact. So the hurdle isn't too high, but i can't see much economic impact, OOT visitors, hotel rentals, etc that are directly related to royals games.

I say roll the dice. I would love to have AAA baseball here, but not the Royals. Call their bluff, bring in a single A, independent league, or whatever to force them out of Sarpy, then find a new AAA team to come in. The royals are consistantly terrible, show no desire to promote, be involved in the community, or even put decent prospects on the field in Omaha.
Go to Top of Page

MavRick
A Better Fan Than You

USA
-3935 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  2:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's fascinating about Hal's argument is that (a) MECA by law doesn't have to listen to the mayor - see generally 18 months of squabbling about Roger's parking fetish - and (b) Hal designed it that way.

"This guy wouldn't know majesty if it came up and bit him in the face." Strong Bad, "Dragon"
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2009 :  4:06:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and, of course, (c) Hal was part of MECA when they refused to cut a deal with the Royals.

Go to Top of Page

dartben
Sophomore Mav

404 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  10:47:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adammd

I would love to have AAA baseball here, but not the Royals. Call their bluff, bring in a single A, independent league, or whatever to force them out of Sarpy, then find a new AAA team to come in. The royals are consistantly terrible, show no desire to promote, be involved in the community, or even put decent prospects on the field in Omaha.

Because AAA baseball teams are so common and easy to come by...
Affiliated teams don't up and leave as much as they used to. If the Royals leave, getting a new AAA team here would be much harder than you think.
Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  11:40:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dartben

quote:
Originally posted by adammd

I would love to have AAA baseball here, but not the Royals. Call their bluff, bring in a single A, independent league, or whatever to force them out of Sarpy, then find a new AAA team to come in. The royals are consistantly terrible, show no desire to promote, be involved in the community, or even put decent prospects on the field in Omaha.

Because AAA baseball teams are so common and easy to come by...
Affiliated teams don't up and leave as much as they used to. If the Royals leave, getting a new AAA team here would be much harder than you think.

I agree, getting a AAA team will not be easy. But they are available, and move, and its fairly common. It will be possible, just probably not in year one or two, which is why my idea was to at least bring in a doomed to fail eventually AA or lower team.

If you are opposed to my idea, what is your suggestion to MECA as a better deal.

1) Negotiate a money losing contract with the Royals.
2) Let them move to Sarpy that will not only get no revenue for Omaha, but also prevent Omaha from luring a new team.
3) Something else.

I am curious your thoughts as to Meca's best move here.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  12:07:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do think the point Rick makes is funny. Hal, if elected, has to confront the beast he created (that is completely independent of his power).

MECA needs to find a way to entice the Royals (#1 being to back down on the parking). Saying if they give a break to the Royals will lead to having to give it to others is brutally ignorant to me. Discounted parking for anybody that commits to 70 plus dates a year for 10 years. I think that would be difficult for any others to commit to, and if they can it's probably worth looking into. I'm sure they can budge on other points as well. What they are up against is a stadium that in no way was designed for AAA baseball so they are going to have to be creative in what they offer.

Greg

The lastest on Sarpy, if it goes there, my money is still on Southport West:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10561969

Go to Top of Page

dartben
Sophomore Mav

404 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  7:22:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there anything to say the city couldn't make a side deal with the Royals?

So, yes, MECA charges them X amount of dollars and they must charge Y for parking, but then the city goes ahead and makes a deal with the Royals to somehow "refund" some of the money the Royals are paying MECA. Basically robbing Peter to pay Paul kind of thing...
Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2009 :  10:10:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dartben

Is there anything to say the city couldn't make a side deal with the Royals?

So, yes, MECA charges them X amount of dollars and they must charge Y for parking, but then the city goes ahead and makes a deal with the Royals to somehow "refund" some of the money the Royals are paying MECA. Basically robbing Peter to pay Paul kind of thing...

I like the idea, just not sure politically its legal, sort of like paying someone off to legislate/not allow. Can't imagne Sarpy & the Royals making enough coin to kick some up to Omaha, since profitability is going to be an issue. But if they can/will, I say go for it.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  08:31:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Daub seemed to indicate this is part of his plan. Mentioned money the city gives to the Zoo, Joslyn, Holland Center and the botanical gardens. This was on 590 yesterday. He made some good points but was fuzzy on some of the others (several times he indicated that if the Royals were in Sarpy, there would be a AA team downtown, they finally had to correct him on this).

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/13/2009 :  08:37:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The whole no desire to promote is completely bogus in my opinion. I work in HR and am the one that is in charge of employee events. Since Stein and Co took over the Royals I can tell you they make calls and try to make offers for us to do events more than all of the other groups in town combined (Creighton, the Beef, and yes UNO). It's not by coincidence that their attendance is up for the last 4 years.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000