Page: of 107

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 12/24/2008 :  12:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

OH, and anybody who compares Omaha and Detroit's downtown situations...is with all due respect..a moron. Either that, or you really really have no idea what Detroit is really like.

Unless, your comparison is to point out where Omaha DOES NOT want to go.

Buetane nailed the current state of this discussion. The fact is, we can't have either/or. That's how you get Detroit.

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 12/31/2008 :  10:55:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good Lord.

I don't have the strength to respond to those two posts.

You win
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  11:42:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Death blow

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10530887
Go to Top of Page

mavaholic
Sophomore Mav

USA
342 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  11:50:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So do people think that this is MECA playing "hardball" or have they totally written of the O. Royals? Do people really want to watch that low of level of baseball played in a (hopefully) state of the art 25K seat stadium?

Do you believe in miracles? YES! --Al Michaels
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  12:39:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've felt that both MECA and the Royals have been playing hardball all along. Sarpy and the American Association are just pawns in this.

Call me insane, call me an idiot, call me Al. I still think there's a good chance that once the state turns down Sarpy County request to be bailed out, the Royals end up downtown. Won't happen for several months, since Sarpy and the Royals have agreed to negotiate exclusively through March.

I think there's a much better chance that the AA team plays downtown than the Royals playing in Sarpy County. Until I hear how Sarpy County plans to pay for it (and not using a proposal that was rejected twice before in a better economy), I remain a skeptic that Sarpy can pull it off.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  1:47:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mavaholic

So do people think that this is MECA playing "hardball" or have they totally written of the O. Royals? Do people really want to watch that low of level of baseball played in a (hopefully) state of the art 25K seat stadium?

Not necessarily directed at you, but this always comes up. If your asking about the Omaha royals going to Sarpy, it's NOT about the onfield product, its about the atmosphere, children, mascots, games between innings, etc. But if someone talks about putting a AA team in Omaha, its sh1tty baseball, not worth watching, no talent, etc.

Is it about the product for AA but all about the experience in AAA, I don't get it.

Re-read this thread, you will see it over and over again.
Go to Top of Page

mavaholic
Sophomore Mav

USA
342 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  2:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand your comments, but again, perception is everything, regardless of "mascots" and atmosphere. How many multimillion dollar 24K seat stadiums are there in America? I understand that AAA teams have very few, if any. I'd venture to bet that Salt Dogs caliber teams have even fewer, and likely, don't very often pack the stands. At least with AAA, when Iowa comes to town, the MLB cub fans actually attend games (and not for the atmosphere, rather, for the ball team / connection with the big MLB team.)

Go to Top of Page

mrkaline
Mav Scout in Indiana

Poland
1475 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  3:20:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's sad that the Royals and MECA/NCAA couldn't get anything done, but in the short and long term, it's better for Omaha to have the CWS for two weeks than the Royals for 5 1/2 months. It will be interesting if 2K people go to a American Association team in the new stadium? Maybe they can name the team the Omaha Dixons, GO DIXS!!!
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  3:21:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's no way I'm going DT, paying to park to watch this level of baseball.

Greg

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  3:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adammd

Not necessarily directed at you, but this always comes up. If your asking about the Omaha royals going to Sarpy, it's NOT about the onfield product, its about the atmosphere, children, mascots, games between innings, etc. But if someone talks about putting a AA team in Omaha, its sh1tty baseball, not worth watching, no talent, etc.

Is it about the product for AA but all about the experience in AAA, I don't get it.

Trust me when I say this; and I mean this with all due respect: You obviously haven't seen an Independent League baseball game.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  8:47:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

There's no way I'm going DT, paying to park to watch this level of baseball.

Greg

Even if that level is the only level of professional baseball within 100 miles of Omaha?

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2009 :  9:59:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More specifically...
quote:
But a new team downtown would be the third baseball entity in the area, possibly crowding the market and complicating the Royals' relationship with Sarpy County.

Royals President Alan Stein said his team will be forced to re-evaluate its position in the same area as a new team and the College World Series.

"It's something we have to take into consideration before we make a final decision as to what level of investment and commitment to the community in the long term," Stein said.

But Stein expressed confidence that, if his team stayed, it would be able to compete.

http://www.ketv.com/news/18421607/detail.html
Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  10:49:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:

quote:

Trust me when I say this; and I mean this with all due respect: You obviously haven't seen an Independent League baseball game.

Grew up in Sioux City, GO EXPLORERS.

Been to plenty of games. Had a friend who was bat boy when they had Dennis "Oil Can" Boyd on their team. And sure, after a couple beers I always proclaimed I could play for the team. But they always had a mascot dancing on the dugout at the half inning

Its baseball, I could watch high school baseball in person, just cant watch any baseball on TV. Even when my team is playing the remote gets worked over.

So is is about the onfield product or not?
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  11:13:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I've been to a Salt Dogs game and was underwhelmed.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

jonesy498
Junior Mav

USA
541 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  12:04:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Omaha is an event town. Put fireworks after every game and you might get the 3 to 4 thousand people that meca is hoping for, other than that I can't see that many people going to these games after the novelty has worn off. If people don't go out and support the Royals, how you can possibly believe that they will support a worse product.

"I love the smell of commerce in the morning"
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  12:05:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I play in the Omaha over 25 league, and I guarantee you our leage all-stars could give the Salt Dogs a game.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  3:15:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And you don't have to pay to park to watch AJ....

Greg
Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1723 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  3:21:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IMO, the $6 to park is the largest deal-breaker for most many people.

"You can't spell War without W!
Serving it up for 5 + years!"
Go to Top of Page

mavaholic
Sophomore Mav

USA
342 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  3:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Parking will be cheaper than the beer :)

Go to Top of Page

MavRick
A Better Fan Than You

USA
-3935 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  3:56:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Remember we're talking summertime, too. You won't mind parking further away and screwing MECA.

"This guy wouldn't know majesty if it came up and bit him in the face." Strong Bad, "Dragon"
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  4:18:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well heck. If $6 to park is such a big deal, maybe we should just close down the whole Qwest Center since nobody in their right mind is going to pay $6.

Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1723 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  4:49:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dude, bag the over-reaction. (edit: Ok, I shouldn't have said "most". I've edited the above to better reflect what I was thinking as stated here.) I'm just saying that people who are looking at a cheap way to entertain their family may be put off by parking fees. Baseball fan in this area has NO experience paying for it. The O-Royals had free parking and they barely got 2,000 to many games.

It's hard to tell what will sway people to either spend, or not spend, their money. When there's no perceived value in paying, or if the fee is seen as an obscene money grab by a faceless entity (MECA), people may just say screw-it. They'll pay $6 or $7 for a beer (and get a sour tasting, luke warm cup of suds at that) because they recieve a small buzz in return. For parking you get...a place to leave your car.

"You can't spell War without W!
Serving it up for 5 + years!"
Go to Top of Page

mrkaline
Mav Scout in Indiana

Poland
1475 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  6:31:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The people of Omaha won't pay $6 to park for baseball?? Good god, don't go to an event in a city like Minnesota, Chicago, Indianapolis, or Cincy. I guess cow tipping is still free...enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  07:55:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the issue is 6 bucks for baseball, it's 6 bucks for that level of baseball. You can see the same talent level at your local sandlot for free.

---
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  10:38:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, I'm fine with paying to park, just not for independent league baseball.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

dartben
Sophomore Mav

404 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  10:51:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The American Association isn't AA, it's independent. The quality of games is well below a AA level team, and probably below high-A quality too.

It's not all about the quality, but there is a threshold for quality too. I go to a couple of Royals games a year. I don't think I'll goto this crap unless its free tickets and $1 beer night.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  11:44:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The quality is below most good college teams.

You gotta figure, the league is made up of guys who DIDN'T get drafted (there are 65 rounds) and every now and then a big name star who is trying to make a comeback after being in prison.

I really wasn't kidding about our +25 team
Go to Top of Page

twiztid1
Sophomore Mav

288 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  12:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's bad ball but fans can at least follow their team. That's why minor league sports aren't very appealing to Omahans; winning and losing don't matter. If your team does well the parent club plucks your talent away. The O royals have had some pretty good teams that fizzled out by mid season. At least the independent team will have a consistent roster that fans can follow. But AJ is right this league is a big step down.
Go to Top of Page

mrkaline
Mav Scout in Indiana

Poland
1475 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  12:59:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The quality is below most good college teams.

You gotta figure, the league is made up of guys who DIDN'T get drafted (there are 65 rounds) and every now and then a big name star who is trying to make a comeback after being in prison.

I really wasn't kidding about our +25 team

Hey now, there are only UP TO 50 rounds in the MLB draft, let's not talk crazy..

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/draftday/faq.jsp
Go to Top of Page

mrkaline
Mav Scout in Indiana

Poland
1475 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2009 :  1:06:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the bigger point is why should Omaha get high level professional teams? Some times you have to start small, show you can support an organization, then bigger and badder organizations will come calling. By not supporting the AHL or AAA baseball teams, you have said to the market, we are a tiny city. Maybe the Knights and Royals could have done things better, but I doubt high level organizations are considering Omaha as a potential destination based on the numbers those teams had drawn. I think A ball or independant leagues are where Omaha has placed itself in the marketplace. Maybe Omaha will support the big events (Swimming/NCAA basketball/CWS), but if you aren't associated with UNL, UNO, or Creighton, don't bother. Anybody think differently?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000