Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  1:45:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bigger news is that Sarpy wants to use a sales tax to pay for it:

http://www.ketv.com/news/17917278/detail.html

Which is an interesting idea, but would the legislature let a county start a sales tax? And if so, would that be in addition to the 1.5% sales tax in Bellevue, LaVista, and Papillion? Would it be only assessed on areas outside city limits? Or would it override the city sales taxes, forcing cities to raise their taxes to pay for this?

But yeah, like AJ said...they're headed to Texas most likely.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

mrkaline
Mav Scout in Indiana

Poland
1475 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  2:07:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

Bigger news is that Sarpy wants to use a sales tax to pay for it:

http://www.ketv.com/news/17917278/detail.html

Which is an interesting idea, but would the legislature let a county start a sales tax? And if so, would that be in addition to the 1.5% sales tax in Bellevue, LaVista, and Papillion? Would it be only assessed on areas outside city limits? Or would it override the city sales taxes, forcing cities to raise their taxes to pay for this?

But yeah, like AJ said...they're headed to Texas most likely.

The "donut" couties surrounding Indianapolis all have a sales tax to help pay for the Lucas Oil Stadium with the reasoning that we all "benefit" from Indianapolis keeping the Colts in town.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2008 :  9:09:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Why wouldn't you let a county issue a sales tax if you already allow a city to issue one? I think Sugar Land is the front runner, Sarpy is 2nd and Omaha is a distant memory...

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  06:55:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarpy County and the Royals will announce their plans for negotiations today.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10503872

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  12:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got an email on this today from the O Royals. Very cool indeed. It states that video excerpts will be on oroyals.com after 4 today.

Greg

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  12:53:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When they finally disclose how Sarpy County is going to pay for this, I'll be converted. Until then, I'm still not a believer.

My assumption is that Sarpy County is going to the State Legislature next month for much of the money this is going to take. (Remember the "Cabelas" bill from a few years ago? It got rejected twice, with the second time to pay for a downtown ballpark for the Royals.)

Go to Top of Page

adammd
Sophomore Mav

463 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  4:16:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll still only think about going when the tickets are free and its half price beer night.

Sarpy, lol
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  08:27:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just when I thought my opinion of Roger Dixon couldn't get any worse. This guy needs to be ousted NOW. His power and lust to keep it is absoultely out of control. What started out as a nice way to get rid of Rosenblatt (which don't get me started on again..needed to be replaced) has now turned into a giant clusterf**k of monster proportions.

Has Roger ever SEEN an independent league game? Does he think...if a AAA team with rising and former stars couldn't make it in this town, that a team full of guys from Wayne State, Peru and Midland Lutheran is going to be any better?

I'm not a civics professor, I'm not sure what...if anything can be done...but this guy is absolutely salting the earth with his arrogant power trip. I always figured he was an arrogant scumbag with alterior motives...but I didn't realize it was this bad.

Go to Top of Page

mavfan85
The Writer

USA
287 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  08:35:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have keep quite for a long time about this on mavpuck and most of you know this. I have been asked by several people what I think about this. Here it is:

I for one am very happy about this new agreement since I am a Royals season ticket holder. If there were no Royals I would go crazy during the summer. Live baseball is what fills the time before hockey season starts.

Also, I want a place to take my godson and my soon-to-be niece to watch some baseball. I want to share the fun I had growing up with them. I grew up watching the Royals. It was the most cost effective thing to in the summers. My family was always given free tickets to take the whole family(6) to the games.

The Royals have needed their own park for a number of years now. The Royals my not be MLB, but they are the best thing Omaha has as far as baseball.

This is just my opinion.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  11:18:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said. I've got two small boys and the Royals are some of the best entertainment in the Summer. Alan Stein and Co have done a great job turning the franchise around.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  10:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Darth is proceeding with Plan B.
quote:
Dixon said Wednesday that there is still an "outside chance" an agreement can be reached with the Royals. But he also is negotiating with the American Association and another league to bring a new team to Omaha.

That team would be either a new start-up or a team relocating from another city, said Dixon, who leads MECA, which runs the Qwest Center Omaha and will oversee the stadium's design and operation.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10504859

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  4:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Independent league baseball in a 24k stadium. $6 to park plus tickets to watch semi-pro baseball...

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  7:09:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can watch Mink league baseball locally for like 3-5 bucks that is as competative as Independent league. In fact, it's a step down from the College World Series level of play in many cases.

This is the worst idea Roger has ever had...and that's saying something.

F'n Jacka$s.
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 12/07/2008 :  7:57:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lincoln Salt Dogs are a great example ... free to park, great stadium and free tickets abound.

DBF
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of all who threaten it
Go to Top of Page

Mojo325is
McQueen...

Brazil
1654 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  11:41:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoffin205

Lincoln Salt Dogs are a great example ... free to park, great stadium and free tickets abound.

DBF

I used to work for the Saltdogs. It's probably the worst baseball you can imagine. Half the guys used to play in the California Penal League, the rest went to places like Taxidermy College of Southern Idaho and University of North Central Iowa at Fort Dodge.

It's very, very, very bad baseball. It's comparable to the Omaha Beef.

------------

Trying to elude the Mickey Mouse Brigade
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  1:46:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But if they played in the California Penal League, they could still go pro. And be #99.
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2008 :  7:00:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mojo325is
It's comparable to the Omaha Beef.

I like the Beef too ... :)

DBF
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 12/14/2008 :  11:02:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The city has done very well...up to this point devloping the downtown area. Looks like Roger's ego and the city's predictable bending-over at the hands of the CWS is going to cause the whole thing to suck. Or...possibly suck.

http://omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10513903

This thing is about 1 month away from being a complete disaster. Perhaps the save Rosenblatt freaks were on to something.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  08:13:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently the Saddle Creek Records guys are calling B.S. on this as well.

http://omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10517523

Oh, and can't wait to see those gigantic crowds at Creighton baseball games when the BrieJays are taking on Drake at 1pm on a Tuesday afternoon in March.

The train wreck continues
Go to Top of Page

who dey
Sophomore Mav

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  5:07:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How assinine to not build a stadium that suite both the Royals, developers, and CWS. This is horrible.
Go to Top of Page

dartben
Sophomore Mav

404 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  8:47:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honestly, I'm not sure it'd be posible to build a stadium to suit both the Royals and the CWS. One event needs 25,000 seats, the other needs ~8,000. It'd be like trying to build a football stadium to suit both Nebraska and Creighton Prep.

The lack of retail space is asinine, however.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2008 :  9:44:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not 100% sure that you can't...but it takes some compromise from all sides. The NCAA isn't exactly known for compromising, however.

I think by breaking up the main grandstand into an upper and lower deck, you get a little bit of a the more intimate atmosphere the Royals are after, but it's obviously not enough at this point. At least as long as Sarpy County pretends to have a way to pay for a ballpark...

Go to Top of Page

who dey
Sophomore Mav

USA
456 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  12:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked the original idea of removable seats but I guess the NCAA said no. Now this makes so much less sense.
Go to Top of Page

dartben
Sophomore Mav

404 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  12:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still don't see how 15,000 "removable" seats would've worked, either. I think that was always a conceptual pipedream.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  1:53:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It comes down to two things:

1) MECA, not the NCAA needs to make concessions toward the Royals. This will never happen with Roger's enormously gigantic ego. I'm not sure why he gets off on being such an a-hole, but the guy ....as shrewd of a businessman as he appears to be, has really made a lot of enemies in this town. Because of this pigheadedness...this whole stadium thing is being flushed down teh toilet. At the same time....

2) The Royals need to realize where they fall in all this. No owner of the team has done so since the Union Pacific years. Since then, it's been nothing but out-of-town proxy owners who think they have the answer to everything. So while they have the right to move or whatever, they are not acting in good faith with the city.

So who gets screwed in all this? The common fan.

The city gets to build a $150 million stadium with no retail space that will sit empty for 50 weeks out of the year, while the Royals play "hardball" by crying to the media and pouting about why they play in a stadium that is "too big". (I never got that argument anyway. Lots of teams would love to have that problem on Saturday nights in the summertime when giveaway and promotional nights can easily draw 17,000-ish. (As they did back in the day.

Amazing how a city can have so much foresight with the Qwest and UNO hockey, and then look like complete idiots when trying to plan for things afterward.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2008 :  5:22:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're basically building a stadium for a single 2-week event every summer.
Go to Top of Page

twiztid1
Sophomore Mav

288 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  01:48:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

We're basically building a stadium for a single 2-week event every summer.

Which would have been the same situation at Rosenblatt.
Go to Top of Page

MavRick
A Better Fan Than You

USA
-3935 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  08:29:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And it gets more use than a certain 85,000 seat stadium that we use 8 days a year.

"This guy wouldn't know majesty if it came up and bit him in the face." Strong Bad, "Dragon"
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2008 :  2:48:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MavRick

And it gets more use than a certain 85,000 seat stadium that we use 8 days a year.

"This guy wouldn't know majesty if it came up and bit him in the face." Strong Bad, "Dragon"

Excellent point.

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000