Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2008 :  10:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Royals are looking for someone else to pay for most of the stadium. Also, when we've discussed a UNO coliseum for hockey on this property, parking is always raised as a concern. The parking needs for UNO hockey and the Royals should be somewhat consistent.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

brad
Senior Mav

USA
1141 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  07:50:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I think the Royals are looking for someone else to pay for most of the stadium. Also, when we've discussed a UNO coliseum for hockey on this property, parking is always raised as a concern. The parking needs for UNO hockey and the Royals should be somewhat consistent.

Build less appartment buildings, just make them taller.... Royals said at one time that they would commit 25 million to a new stadium.

www.bradwilliamsphotography.com brad@bradwilliamsphotography.com
GO MAVS!!!
Go to Top of Page

WoohooHcky
Junior Mav

577 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  09:41:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by brad

quote:

Build less appartment buildings, just make them taller.... Royals said at one time that they would commit 25 million to a new stadium.

GO MAVS!!!

You can't build the apartment buildings taller because UNO has a "scenic code" to follow which is why the parking garages can only be so tall.

I think UNO should build these crazy things called DORMS. You know, those things that every other college in the entire country has.....
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  10:07:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Actually, the current trend at every other college in the country is to convert their dorms to apartments similar to those UNO is building.

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  12:45:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Royals said at one time that they would commit 25 million to a new stadium.

GO MAVS!!!

Never heard that. The Royals previously said "give us $25 million and we'll build a stadium." Reportedly, that number has been lowered to $15 million, but I haven't heard what the Royals are willing to pay in.

Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  1:57:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by WoohooHcky

quote:

quote:

GO MAVS!!!

You can't build the apartment buildings taller because UNO has a "scenic code" to follow which is why the parking garages can only be so tall.

I think UNO should build these crazy things called DORMS. You know, those things that every other college in the entire country has.....

Why? That would take away about the only advantage to living on campus at UNO.
Go to Top of Page

WoohooHcky
Junior Mav

577 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2008 :  7:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BIGHUSKERMAV

quote:

quote:

quote:

GO MAVS!!!

Why? That would take away about the only advantage to living on campus at UNO.

I don't think that's the only advantage of living on campus. I've said it before, every college student should experience what it's like to live in a dorm room.

Not only that, but you could accept more students because you could cram more into a smaller space. Maybe then we could become a Division I school! But that is a whole different argument now isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  08:32:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, it is a different argument. Several different arguments, in fact.

First, the Regents would have to sign off on becoming a Div. I school and we all know that's not going to happen because it might hurt UNL. We already have several thousand more in enrollment than Omaha's current D1 school and only about 200 less than Wichita State. So increased enrollment is not what is keeping us from being D1.

Second, you can't cram more students into a smaller space if they won't sign up for the room in the first place (see my earlier post about trends in university housing). Also, housing at UNO is also controlled by the Regents and UNO have been greatly handicapped in this regard, even with the somewhat recent allowance of having a small amount of university housing. UNL does not want, and has not wanted, UNO to have residential student housing of any kind. And they get a veto over most of what UNO does.

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  11:06:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't think that's the only advantage of living on campus. I've said it before, every college student should experience what it's like to live in a dorm room.

I didn't live on campus and I'm glad I didn't. At UNO, there simply was not much of a point unless you didn't already live in Omaha or it wasn't paid for your scholarship (as it's done with the Scott Scholarship). Futhermore, I never would have tolerated living in a traditional dorm room, especially at UNO. If I "missed out" on the "college experience", then so be it (and thank God).
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/07/2008 :  2:48:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I understand the sometimes fascination with D1. Are we talking the artist formerly known as D1AA for football that the Dakota schools went to for football, or D1 like the Big 12? Until UNO proves it can get enough funds to compete at those levels I think we should be happy with D1 hockey and D2 for the rest.

I hate the idea of UNO becoming one of those schools that goes for 700k at places like NU and 'bama to fund their sports. I realize NU would be a long shot becuase it would be nothing to gain but everything to lose for them. I hate watchin NU play any D1AA team.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  10:22:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Couple of interesting tidbits in today's OWH. Royals attendance is up 11% over last year, at it's highest level in 8 years and they now rank 10 of 16 in the PCL in attendance.

The news on Southport today as well keeps my belief that the Royals are headed there.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  12:39:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Funny... I read it exactly the opposite.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1208&u_sid=10403710
The area where they were proposing the stadium is now labeled "Southport West Business Park" with a high rise office building. The "undetermined future development" might be too small for a ballpark unless you assume they are using Cabela's parking lot for part of the stadium parking.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  10:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll leave that up to the developers. They do the shared parking part in KC at the Legends with their ballpark.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/13/2008 :  11:56:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Southport sounds like they already have other plans, though the Royals could buy them out.
quote:
However, any discussions with the Royals would need to be within the next 60 days because the infrastructure construction would be starting this fall in the proposed office park, the area suitable for a ballpark, Hoth said.

The developers could shift other planned uses for the property to accommodate the Royals, however, he said.

"We'd love to talk to the Royals as to what their plans might be," Hoth said. "If they are interested in purchasing ground, we're very interested in talking to them."

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1208&u_sid=10403709

I'd say you can scratch the area around Cabela's off the list... maybe further southwest down I-80 is a possibility.

Go to Top of Page

brad
Senior Mav

USA
1141 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  2:12:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
THIS WHOLE ARTICLE SUCKS... NOT THE OWH WRITING BUT JUST HOW F-IN TRUE IT ALL IS

Royals may pull out of Omaha

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10406323

quote:
The Omaha Royals are toying with the idea of packing up and leaving town.

Sound familiar?

The situation is reminiscent of 1991, when the team's then-owner announced he might sell the Royals to a new owner who intended to move the outfit to Memphis, Tenn.

Then-Mayor P.J. Morgan and other local politicians desperately tried to find a way to keep the team. Their efforts led to a local buyout, with Union Pacific and Omaha businessmen Warren Buffett and Walter Scott purchasing the Royals.

Fast forward to 2008, and the Royals are again looking to relocate. This time, the team's president and the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority can't reach an agreement to play in the new stadium.

Unlike in the past, the city's movers and shakers have remained so quiet that you can almost hear the crickets chirping. Mayor Mike Fahey has said that he still wants to see the team play in the stadium. But, he adds, the two sides are so far apart that he doesn't know what can be done to get them together.

So why isn't there much of a fuss over the Royals possibly leaving town this time around, when city leaders were ready to pull out all the stops in 1991?

The answer largely comes down to the College World Series.

The Royals and the CWS were once seen as mutually beneficial, and even necessary for each other's survival in Omaha. But the CWS has since emerged as the dominant player, and city leaders no longer believe they need the Royals to keep the college tournament.

"The Royals are no longer seen as essential," said retired Omaha World-Herald Publisher Harold W. Andersen, who was involved in the 1991 effort to keep the team in Omaha. "The CWS was the big consideration in 1991, but now we've got it nailed down for 25 years."

GO MAVS!!!
Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  3:16:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just don't get how 70 dates of 2000 cars at $3 a pop is not beneficial to the City and meca. Fahey's quote reminds me of where we were a few months back between him and Sokol, just without all the venom. Someone needs to step in and make the City make a concession on something. Start with parking. It is the most volatile issue for the Royals. Then the Royals will need to give a little on something.

70 dates of 2000 cars at $3 is way better than 0 days of 0 cars at $0 a pop.

The City needs to make meca allow the Royals to say they are the winner here and get it done. meca winning is not the most important thing.
Go to Top of Page

brad
Senior Mav

USA
1141 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2008 :  3:26:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think concessions are a bigger deal than parking.

Look at the roayls promotions
Monday, $1.00 hotdogs
Tuesday, Kids Eat Free
Wednesday, 1/2 burgers during day games
Thursday, "Thirsty Thursdays" $1.00 Beer and soda.

I think the promotions this season is really helping attendance.

Omaha Royals 4 main Issues:
1. Parking - Cost
2. Size - Number of Seats
3. Economy - Affordability for fans to attend
4. Schedule - Being forced out for 2 weeks every summer.

They way I see it MECA needs to bugde on at least one if not two if the issues... I think #2 and #4 are not negoitable so it has to be #1 and #3

GO MAVS!!!
Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1723 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  08:12:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MECA won't give up anything on parking. #1 is off the table.

#3, would have to be the price of admission. I doubt that they will discount the cost of consessions either.

"You can't spell War without W!
Serving it up for 5 + years!"

Steve Coppard
Go to Top of Page

brad
Senior Mav

USA
1141 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2008 :  4:18:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Parking Prices for the Pacific Coast League
Cheapest = Free (4 teams)
Most Expensive = $8
Average = $3.88

**Most teams offer free parking with season ticket purchase

GO MAVS!!!
Go to Top of Page

mrkaline
Mav Scout in Indiana

Poland
1475 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  08:47:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In Indy you can always park on the city streets if you don't mind walking about 6-8 blocks. If you want to park a couple blocks over at the Indy parking garage it's $5. I do believe that a family won't mind paying $5 for parking if they can bring in their own food and drinks (like Indy allows in the outfield grass).
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  10:32:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hackermav

I just don't get how 70 dates of 2000 cars at $3 a pop is not beneficial to the City and meca. Fahey's quote reminds me of where we were a few months back between him and Sokol, just without all the venom. Someone needs to step in and make the City make a concession on something. Start with parking. It is the most volatile issue for the Royals. Then the Royals will need to give a little on something.

70 dates of 2000 cars at $3 is way better than 0 days of 0 cars at $0 a pop.

The City needs to make meca allow the Royals to say they are the winner here and get it done. meca winning is not the most important thing.

The city feels fairly confident that they can get an American Association team to play in the new stadium. I think that's the worst idea ever. The Omaha Royals, although they are an affiliate of a dead end franchise, are still showcasing players that are one step away from the majors. I can't count how many up and coming stars and former stars that have been sent down that I've seen play for the Royals and their competition over the years at Rosenblatt.

Instead, we'd be replacing them with a team from a league that sends 1-2 guys from the entire league to the majors each year. I'm sure people will be just flocking down to nodo to watch the Lincoln Saltdogs take on the Omaha Rivercats or some other equally idiotic name they give the team.

I go to 4-5 royals games a year which still isn't that much, but I'll promise that if our AAA team gets replaced by some loser American Association team, I will never go to a single game.
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  11:48:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Probably, MECA is not as worried about what happens if the Royals go somewhere else as much as they are worried about what happens when it is time to renegotiate contracts with UNO and Creighton. If MECA agrees to $3 parking and portions of concessions for the Royals, then UNO and Creighton should be able to expect getting a similar deal when their contracts with MECA come up for renewal. That's the game theoretic result, anyway.

Kansas City, Kansas thought it was a good idea to build a stadium for a Northern League team, but I notice that the stadium is now being used as heavily for the Wizards as much as it is for baseball. Except when the LA Galaxy are in town, then they play at Arrowhead.

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  12:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MavEconomist

Probably, MECA is not as worried about what happens if the Royals go somewhere else as much as they are worried about what happens when it is time to renegotiate contracts with UNO and Creighton. If MECA agrees to $3 parking and portions of concessions for the Royals, then UNO and Creighton should be able to expect getting a similar deal when their contracts with MECA come up for renewal. That's the game theoretic result, anyway.

Kansas City, Kansas thought it was a good idea to build a stadium for a Northern League team, but I notice that the stadium is now being used as heavily for the Wizards as much as it is for baseball. Except when the LA Galaxy are in town, then they play at Arrowhead.

res ipsa loquitur

I've heard alot of people say that if the city (I don't believe MECA actually controls the price of parking, but I could be wrong) caves and gives the O Royals $3 parking that it puts them in a very questionable position when it comes to renegotiating Creighton and UNO's contracts. It's an interesting theory, but I think it's a pretty nearsighted excuse.

Look no further than the Truman Sports Complex in Kansas City. Essentially, the Chiefs and the Royals share the same parking lots. However, anyone that has attended both a football game and a baseball game there know the prices are DRASTICALLY different. I believe that parking for a Royals game in 2008 is either $6 or $8. I can't remember. However, parking for football games is $20. That's a huge difference.

If they can do that in KC and they don't have the Chiefs and their fans crying foul, then why can't that be done here? If you look at it, the Truman Sports Complex is very similar to our facility situation. Two facilities (arrowhead & kauffman vs. Qwest & unnamed baseball stadium) that share the same parking lots. Yet, both facilities cater to a different caliber of events.

So, I see absolutely no problem with having two different sets of prices for two different events. I would even venture to guess that parking at the CWS, if any is going to be made publically available, won't be $6. Does anyone else have any other reasons why different parking prices can't work in omaha even though they work in other cities?
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  12:11:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thought. It's just another random compromise that may not be workable, but here it goes.

If $6 parking at the lots is something that they can't budge on, why couldn't the powers that be work something out with the Royals specifically to have the Royals sell discounted parking on their website with their online ticketing system. It would encourage more people to buy tickets in advance through the Royals online ticket system. However, it would be a different sort of way to offer discount parking without lowering the prices at the gate. They could sell $3 parking on their website for those who really want to jump through hoops to get a discount or you could just bite the bullet and pay $6 when you pull up to the lot.

I'm thinking maybe they could also work something out for free parking for season ticket holders too.

It's not a perfect scenario. I still think they'd just be better off having different prices for different events; however, if that idea is totally unworkable, maybe they could get creative. IMO something needs to be done, because I agree with the royals that asking the people of omaha to pay as much in parking to watch the o royals as the people in kc pay to watch the kc royals is a really bad idea.
Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  12:30:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MavEconomist

Someone addressed this in a letter to the Public Pulse, which I thought was appropriate. When UNO or Creighton locks up 70 dates at the Qwest Center, they can get reduced parking too. (I'd even be fine with them getting proportionally reduced parking rates -- say, 20 dates gets you $5 parking instead of 6. 40 dates gets you $4 parking. 60 dates gets you $3 parking).
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2008 :  2:09:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's unfortunate that the discussion has centered on parking, when the actual problem is concessions. I should have emphasized that more in my previous post. It is a point that Brad made earlier in this thread as well.

The fact is that parking is probably not the major problem in the deals MECA signs with the teams that play at their facilities. More likely, the major problem is potential sharing of profits from concessions. The reason is that to the Royals, UNO, Creighton, and MECA the parking fees are, by comparison, peanuts next to the money generated by selling, say, actual peanuts (and Cracker Jack, hot dogs, ...)

However, you have all made excellent points with respect to parking fees.

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  11:21:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Wizards are only playing at Community America Ballpark temporarily. A new complex featuring soccer is going to be built on the site of the artist formerly known as the Bannister Mall. The area, including Community America Ballpark in KC has been successful. The T-Bones are drawing well.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2008 :  12:28:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The area has done well, but Community America Ballpark isn't a major cause (although it hasn't hurt anything). The Kansas Speedway area, where the ballpark is located, has done as well as it has mostly because it is a tax-increment financing (TIF) area. The State has given up millions to build up this area, which includes the Mart and Cabela's (for those that are unaware).

We (those of us that were analyzing this TIF area) have always wondered how well the T-Bones would do if the Royals weren't rubbish. We may never know the answer to that. The attendance figures the first two years (before I was no longer involved in the project) were inconclusive at best. Attendance at T-Bones games have been almost as skittish as attendance at Royals games.

"artist formerly known as Bannister Mall" I laughed heartily at that.

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  08:29:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sugar Land, Texas approves their stadium and the funding to build a stadium.

http://www.chron.com/apps/ElectionPub/local.mpl?action=results&nextview=LOCALMATRIX&crit=Fort+Bend&conav=1&crittype=COUNTY&colct=

So Texas now emerges as the frontrunner for the Royals, and MECA's gamble fails. Sarpy County may, in fact, be Omaha's best chance to keep the Royals since Sarpy County officials seem to be willing to spend whatever it takes to get the Royals.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2008 :  11:48:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are good as gone.

Sure glad we're spending that money so a stadium can sit empty for 50 weeks a year.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000