Page: of 107

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  10:20:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by elenasmom

Well MECCA of course is the all powerful controlling body of all things Qwest....and they never wanted to give up the parking lots, they just went along with Hitler oops Fahey.....and now they are back to their original No Fing way stance....works for me....

Hitler?
Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 03/30/2008 :  12:49:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

---
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  11:07:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MECA and the City finally come to an agreement. Press conference currently underway.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1723 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  11:52:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10298622

I'm going back to get a quote.

Not much of a surprise, but the on-line article is lame. Only new info I saw said that MECA would get to control construction and manage the ballpark.

"You can't spell War without W!
Serving it up for 5 + years!"

Steve Coppard
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  12:37:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not much information in the article. KETV reports that there weren't many details announced today, other than they've agreed to get along again.

quote:
Fahey said the agreement addresses parking, traffic and future land use at the Qwest Center site. He said the Qwest Center and its success needed to be protected in the agreement, and he understood that it was Sokol's role to stick up for the concert and events venue.
sponsor

Sokol said the outline of the agreement takes into consideration the needs of MECA, the College World Series, the city and the NCAA. He said the agreement didn't force any of the parties to give up too much to the other three.

MECA will have a special board meeting on April 14 so the full board can vote on the agreement that Sokol and Fahey have made, sources said. After that meeting, full details will be made public.

Sokol said he thinks this is the last of a series of disagreements between MECA and the city. He said he thinks there are at least three votes and possibly four in favor when MECA votes.

Once that vote comes, Fahey said, the final plan will be taken back to the NCAA for more negotiations over a long-term contract to keep the CWS in Omaha.

Fahey said negotiations with Creighton University and the Royals continue.
http://www.ketv.com/sports/15761913/detail.html

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  12:46:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are we should this isn't an April Fool's Day joke?
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  12:49:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it was an April Fools Day joke, I'd have hoped for bigger. Maybe announcing the new NFL stadium to go up in lot D.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  1:58:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Now the World-Herald has the details...
quote:
To reach the deal, the city gave ground to the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority on two key issues:

• The city gave up the authority to develop the remaining convention center and arena parking lots, without the permission and involvement of MECA.

• MECA gained the right to develop the former Pinnacle plant property at 10th Street and Capitol Avenue. That site would be used temporarily as a parking lot but eventually would be developed into a full-service convention hotel.

quote:
Sokol said today that the attorneys came up with language that was satisfactory to both the city and MECA.

Fahey had been advised by City Attorney Paul Kratz that it would be "contrary to law" for the city to formally waive its power of eminent domain that allows it to take property against the wishes of its owner for a public purpose.

The future development of the Pinnacle property — the former Swanson frozen dinner plant — posed a similar problem. Both sides have said they want another full-service hotel at the site to help attract more convention business to the city.

However, MECA was concerned that the city would not move fast enough to develop a hotel on the Pinnacle site. Under the agreement, MECA would be in charge of recruiting a full-service hotel.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10298622

Go to Top of Page

mavaholic
Sophomore Mav

USA
342 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  2:06:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to rehash old issues, but anybody remember the original hotel the the Daub administration lined up on their way out and Fahey nixed on about his first day in office? I don't recall the exact ins and outs of it, but wasn't it a 14 story hotel or somthing to that size? Curious how the room numbers of that "planned" hotel compare to the Hilton plus the Pinnacle property rumored hotel....Also, I thought the Hilton was supposed to be "easily" expanded by adding 1 or more wings????

Do you believe in miracles? YES! --Al Michaels
Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  2:06:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do not like the fact that the city gave up its right to develop. Bad precedent and as far as I am concerned it is not a valid agreement due to the state law.

I also do not like the fact thast the city has given into MECA as far as who controls the Pinnacle property. I question the validity of this as well. Didn't the taxpayers authorize the creation of MECA to only run the QCO? How do they then get the right to start to make deals with the City to run the new ballpark or take over city property without the taxpayers approval? I thought the vote was over a specific purpose and this has taken it way too far past what the taxpayers were sold.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  2:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Proposed Marriott Hotel: 600 rooms, 20+ floors, $95 million.
Hilton Omaha: 450 rooms, 6 floors, $65 million.

You can argue that the 150 rooms made a difference, but there's still no doubt in my mind that the Hilton was the right choice. I don't think it will cost $30 million to add another 150 rooms.

Haven't heard about anything specific for a new hotel on the Swanson TV dinner plant site, but I doubt it would be under 150 rooms. My guess is that the end result is more hotel rooms than originally were proposed.

Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  2:26:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, how many rooms in the 2 new Hilton-affiliate hotels opening north of Cuming?

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

Mojo325is
McQueen...

Brazil
1654 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  2:29:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MavEconomist

Also, how many rooms in the 2 new Hilton-affiliate hotels opening north of Cuming?

res ipsa loquitur

They don't help any, they're not convention-type hotels.

------------

Trying to elude the Mickey Mouse Brigade
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  3:10:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am concerned about the city handing over control (on a piecemeal basis) of other city-owned "entertainment" facilities and properties to MECA.

There seems to be very little governmental oversight of the MECA Board by our elected officials -- outside of the "rotating" selection of board members between the city council and the mayor.

That bothers me because these are taxpayer funded and subsidized facilities that are essentially being given "carte blanche" to do what they will -- for a 99-year period of time.

Our elected officials have come across as "having their hands tied" in recent negotiations with the MECA Board. Which begs the question, "who is in charge here?"

Multi-million dollar decisions are seemingly being made with a wink and a shrug. That has to be disconcerting to Omaha citizens. It should raise questions about the voted-upon "powers" granted MECA back in 2000.

I am not sure proponents envisioned a MECA "monopoly" back in 2000.

quote:
On May 9, 2000, the voters of the City of Omaha approved the Metropolitan Entertainment & Convention Authority (MECA) to manage the construction and operations of the new Qwest Center Omaha.

As the city cedes more power to MECA, they are potentially thwarting accountability. At no time did voters approve MECA control of the Omaha Civic Auditorium. Furthermore, voters will not be allowed to determine if they want to expand MECA's oversight to manage the new baseball stadium.

I have a problem with that because the current mayor and city council seem to be unable to offer appropriate "checks and balances" to MECA.

Recent negotiations regarding a new baseball stadium illustrate that -- in large part -- negotiations with MECA are seemingly a one-way street -- with MECA having the city's head over a barrel.

That is either the fault of the original authority granted by voters in 2000, or it is a problem with our elected leaders.

Voters have had little to no say in this process. This has become a case of "taxation with very indirect representation."

That, my friends, isn't necessarily a good thing.

We all want progress, but we also have to understand that our government (at any level) shouldn't be allowed to run "roughshod" over the public.

Right now, I am concerned that MECA is calling the shots -- both strategically and financially -- in an inappropriate manner. I dunno about anyone else, but I have lost confidence that our elected leaders have any real authority over MECA.

I don't think that is a good thing for our city.

It is one thing to hire an outside management firm -- whose contract has to be renewed every few years -- to run a facility, and quite another to give 100-year rule to a quasi public/private board of directors who aren't voted upon by the body politic.
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  6:02:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mojo325is

quote:
Originally posted by MavEconomist

res ipsa loquitur

They don't help any, they're not convention-type hotels.

------------

Help with what? I just want to know how many there are.

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

mavaholic
Sophomore Mav

USA
342 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  7:54:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Presume that they meant "help with landing conventions".....I believe Omaha has missed out on landing various conventions because the anchor hotel connected to the Qwest does not have "x" number of rooms. Regardless of other hotels in a short distance....

And no, I have no clue as to what that number is or what those conventions are. My only issue is the fact that they built the Q, then turned around and added the optional 2500 or whetever seats within a few short years of opening, and it seems they went too small on the initial hotel as well.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  1:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 hotels open, with 2 more under construction. Judging from the size, I believe when completed they'll add about 800 rooms.

As for whether these rooms "count" when luring conferences. I've attended several conferences over the years, and I usually look around for accomodations. Being in "the" convention hotel is never a critical issue for me...in fact, I usually avoid it. But that might be me and might be my employer. If I was attending a conference at the Qwest Center and had a choice between a $169 room at the Hilton and a $129 room at the Courtyard 2 block south or a $99 room with free breakfast at the Hampton Inn 3 blocks north, the Hampton wins and the Hilton is the last choice.

On the other hand, if I'm scheduling a conference and bundle the conference rate and hotel rate into one package, it's a lot easier if I'm dealing with just one hotel and don't need to provide a lot of options to explain.

As to whether it's a good idea to let MECA control more and more resources, I assume that if the citizens of Omaha voted to create MECA, they can vote to disband them. I don't know if it matters the quantity of things they control matter; they already have the Qwest Center, which is sizable.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  4:40:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So if the browncoats are called the Qwestapo....what will the new ushers be called? I highly doubt the little old ladies and 16 year old kids from Rosenblatt will make the transition.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.huskerh8er.com (and don't forget to visit www.zebrahead.com/news)
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  4:47:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Depends on who buys the naming rights...

Go to Top of Page

mavaholic
Sophomore Mav

USA
342 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  4:54:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
David Sokoats?

Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2008 :  9:31:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MECA-Knights?
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  3:21:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MECA-nicks?

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  11:01:49 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And it's finally over, at least with MECA. MECA unanimously agrees to the stadium.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10309560
quote:
The details of the agreement, which were made public today, include some new financial obligations that weren’t in the city’s original financing plan for the ballpark.

The Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority board’s unanimous vote for the project was a reversal from its earlier position. It had previously opposed the 24,000-seat, $140 million stadium on parking lots C and E.

The agreement gives MECA the authority to oversee construction of the stadium, manage the facility and requires the city to build more parking than was originally planned. A formal contract is expected to be inked by the end of the month.

We'll see what these "new financial obligations" are...

Go to Top of Page

MavRick
A Better Fan Than You

USA
-3935 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  1:25:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw "Recall Fahey" people out at 90th and Center when I was washing my car yesterday. I am running out of patience for people who insist upon preserving and enhancing Omaha's reputation for unimagined mediocrity.

How stupid, I mean how mouth-breathing, shirt-drooling stupid, do you have to be to realize that the NCAA has told Fahey Omaha has to do a new stadium or there will be no deal, but he can't say it to the populace or the whole deal implodes?

How moronic, and I mean too dumb to drive or vote, do you have to be to fail to understand that the numbers for the park are unassailable?

How poor a student of history, and I mean don't know who won World War II, do you have to be to see that you were wrong on the Qwest Center and you're wrong now?

How grandly must your aesthetics fail, and I mean wouldn't know Mona Lisa from Tila Tequila, that you think comparing Rosenblatt, expanded with patchwork to multiple times the size for which it was ever intended, decaying as it stands there, to Fenway or Wrigley is anything other than laughable?

How shortsighted, and I mean don't know what comes after three, must you be that you can't see that an expanded zoo in South Omaha is a far better ecnomic vehicle in the long term for that part of town?

How hypocritical are you, and I mean transparently, laughably out of touch with your own feverishly professed anti-taxation values, that you are trying to mount an expensive recall election to deprive a guy who has balanced the budget, restored civility to public discourse, averted a threat from an annexation effort by Elkhorn that would have started the Detroitification (or worse, the Des Moinization) of Omaha, and though hardly perfect, served with integrity, dignity and and faith, of nine months of office?

And most of all, how fanatically dull must you be, and I mean that Triple Word Score is all the excitement or progress you ever crave, that you don't see that it's time to move on?

"This guy wouldn't know majesty if it came up and bit him in the face." Strong Bad, "Dragon"
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  1:31:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may be my favorite Rick post of all time.

My favorite line was the Tila Tequila one.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  1:36:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They don't have the internet in South O, can you hire someone in an airplane to drop leaflets with this printed on it? Attach a bag of Funyuns to it and they might read it.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  2:58:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Ole, Rick!

I'm still hopeful that in the end, the mouth breathers and South-O parking lot/lawn owners will come up so woefully short that it will provide the exclamation point on the end of this debate.

Watching the recall web site, unless they have a massive door-to-door campaign underway, they show a serious lack of organization. Sign petitions at a storage unit at 78th & Crown Point, a couple of places in Elkhorn, and a concession stand in the Center Mall. Oh, and a couple of street corners. Barack Obama has nothing on these guys in terms of creating a movement.

Go to Top of Page

EdT
Freshman Mav

193 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2008 :  10:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disagree somewhat with Rick. The people in South O are looking out for what they think is their best interest. Not necessarily the cities best interest but their own. Right now Rosenblatt provides a lot of them with a direct cash payment from renting out their lots as parking areas and retail spaces. The zoo is basically self contained. Parking, food, souvenirs, and exhibits take place all on zoo property, with no direct 'cash spillover' for local residents. There just hasn't been anywhere to build parking lots and retail outlets for the CWS, so that created an opportunity for homeowners to make money. Any increased revenue the zoo takes in by expanding will profit the city first and only indirectly the residents of South Omaha. If the city does not raise taxes, or doesn't raise them as much, because of increased tourism at the zoo that benefit goes to everyone in the city, while if locals rent their yard out it benefits them directly and in cash. People vote for what they perceive as their self interest, at least most of the time. Nothing says that perception has to be correct.

I am not saying I agree with them, because I don't. But like a lot of other 'civic' plans, the payoff for a new stadium is measured in decades and not in the immediate future and it isn't absolutely guaranteed. A lot of the people in the Save Rosenblatt group are making money now. And to them, a bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.
Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  1:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem is the Recall Fahey idiots are not making this about their true intentions (their pocketbooks) but about the way Fahey runs the city. They claim they are looking out for the city's best interests, but we all know it isn't about the city as much as themselves. I would respect them more if they just were truthful about things instead of making some lame excuse for what they are doing.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2008 :  4:12:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would give the Save Rosenblatt dolts more credability...if they actually went to Royals games. If you love Rosenblatt so much...why aren't you packing that joint during season, watching the Colorado Springs Sky Sox when it's 10 degrees out.

Oh..because you don't make 1000 bucks a day renting out your shanty..that's why.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000