Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Papa Bear Mav
"Witness"

Italy
1269 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  10:47:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We're just finishing building one. About $13,000 per parking space and takes a year to put up.
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  11:17:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

If they do a garage at the Swanson site hopefully they put retail/restaraunt/bar bays on the first level like they did at the garage on O street in Lincoln.

Greg

I'm really hoping for not a parking garage there... if they include parkings that's great but it's a great location and I'd like to think they can do more.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  11:31:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Papa Bear Mav

We're just finishing building one. About $13,000 per parking space and takes a year to put up.

A YEAR?!?! How many coffee breaks are you guys taking?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.huskerh8er.com (and don't forget to visit www.zebrahead.com/news)
Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  1:29:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weather is probably one of the main reasons it takes as long around here.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  2:22:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On channel 6 news this morning they reported that the EPA has some questions about Lots C and E. Something to do with the fact that cleanup guidelines for parking lots aren't as stringent as a main facility.

On parking garage costs...

Omaha Park 8 (at 13th and Dodge) is used for parking for events at the Holland Performing Arts Center and the Qwest Center Omaha.

It cost $17.1 million to build and has 1293 stalls. That is roughly $13,000 per stall. They also put an underground tunnel between the garage and Union Pacific (for the employees that park in the structure).

It is safe to say that garages aren't cheap and they take a couple of years to put up.

When all is said an done, the new stadium (and associated improvements to the surrounding area) will likely cost close to $200 million. Parking and street improvements are just part of the puzzle.
Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  3:31:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
MECA starts work on ballpark proposal
BY C. DAVID KOTOK
WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER

ē Online Extra: The Ballpark Issue
RELATED
ē Online Extra: The Ballpark Issue
The Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority board, which operates the Qwest Center Omaha, began tackling the question today of how to accommodate a baseball stadium on its parking lots.

Until last week, MECA's answer had been a resounding "no" to the city's effort to locate a new 24,000-seat stadium on the lots northwest of the convention center and arena.

But on Thursday, MECA chairman David Sokol and Mayor Mike Fahey put their names on a memorandum of understanding to develop a plan to put the stadium on Lots C and E. Sokol signed the memo after Fahey agreed that the city would not use pre-emptive litigation in an effort to take control of the parking lots in court. MECA would manage the new stadium under that agreement.

One MECA board member, former Omaha Mayor Hal Daub, said today that it's not a foregone conclusion that the MECA board would sign a contract with the city on the stadium.

The full MECA board received its first formal briefing today on the ballpark proposal. The briefing was held in executive session. Under state law, public bodies may meet behind closed doors to discuss issues pertaining to real estate.

Roger Dixon, president of the Qwest Center, has held preliminary meetings with HDR officials and members of his staff. HDR, the Omaha-based architectural, engineering and consulting firm, worked with the stadium review committee on the selection of Lots C and E as the preferred site. All of the materials used in the site selection process have been turned over to Dixon and his staff.

The MECA meeting was specifically called to address numerous issues related to the stadium, including parking, traffic and minimizing the disruption for the convention center and arena during construction of the stadium. The MECA board was not expected to make any decisions today.

What is Daub's issue? Is he just jealous that Fahey figured out a way to pay for the stadium without affecting property taxes and he didn't with the QCO?
Go to Top of Page

Hockeyqueen
All Creatures Great and Small

USA
740 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  5:51:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you don't think property taxes will go up at some point to finance this new stadium, then you have your head in the sand.
Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  08:14:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
If you don't think property taxes will go up at some point to finance this new stadium, then you have your head in the sand.

Have property taxes gone up at any time in the last 25 years specifically because of the Rosenblatt improvements? My Omaha property tax history gets a little hazy once I hit the 10 years ago mark, but I cannot remember a increase to property taxes to refurbish and run Rosenblatt. Why is that? Because the CWS, and the Royals, occupying the stadium bring in plenty of revenue and tax dollars to pay for themselves and help fund the city's general expenses. I see no reason for that to change over the next 20-30 years with the CWS contractually obligated to play downtown.

There is only $80 million left to pay for over the next 30 years (I assume the bond length). That's 2-3 million a year. The hotel/rental taxes should come up with 1.5-2 million a year. It really is a no brainer. Why else do you think we haven't heard the same amount of negativity since Fahey and Stinson unveiled the plan and the reasoning behind it? Because reasonable people see that this is a good sound deal.

I have heard some people complain about MECA's thought on establishing a $5 million dollar fund for improvements. I can see where that might dip into revenues, but I also know that the city spends a bunch of money every few years for minor improvements now. So this is really just pushing around where the money comes from.

I just don't see the holes in the plan that some do.
Go to Top of Page

Hockeyqueen

USA
740 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  09:06:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smoke & Mirrors, Smoke & Mirrors that is what Fahey is giving the people of Omaha.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  09:27:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Care to back up that innuendo? Or are you living in the "Rosenblatt is in perfect shape" candy land of sunshine dreams?

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Hockeyqueen

USA
740 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  10:11:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To be honest, I don't care if they renovate Rosenblatt or build a new stadium. (although I am not thrilled with the prospect of using the Qwest parking lot). What I object to is the way Fahey has gone about obtaining "his dream". He has not been open and honest with the people of Omaha and I have a real problem with that. On a project of this magnitude the people should have a vote but Fahey is afraid for that to happen and we all know why.

I have absolutely no respect for Mr. Fahey.

Go to Top of Page

Mojo325is
McQueen...

Brazil
1654 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  10:27:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hockeyqueen

To be honest, I don't care if they renovate Rosenblatt or build a new stadium. (although I am not thrilled with the prospect of using the Qwest parking lot). What I object to is the way Fahey has gone about obtaining "his dream". He has not been open and honest with the people of Omaha and I have a real problem with that. On a project of this magnitude the people should have a vote but Fahey is afraid for that to happen and we all know why.

I have absolutely no respect for Mr. Fahey.

So your argument is personal and emotional, rather than fact-based?

------------

Trying to elude the Mickey Mouse Brigade
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  10:28:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'll tell you why there shouldn't be a vote. All of the misinformation from the SaveRosenblatt folks that has muddled and confused the whole issue. Go back and research the whole history of the debate, dating back to the discussions from more than a year ago, and tell me where he hasn't been honest. Open? That charge might stick, except tell me of any negotiations where the public gets involved in it. They aren't doing this in Lincoln, where they are discussing building a new arena. This whole "Fahey isn't being open and honest" is simply a smear campaign.

The only thing Mike Fahey is guilty of is trying to keep the College World Series in Omaha. If you've got some proof otherwise, please bring it.

Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  10:47:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My main complaint against Fahey is confirmed in comment he made somewhat recently. It was something to the effect of 'we had to talk with our good partner (NCAA) first before we could go public'. Well, hasn't the tax paying public been around longer than the NCAA?

He just doesn't have the communication thing down very well. I don't think this was done this way to conceal anything, I just think Fahey mismanaged all of the information that was out there.

Where is the discussion of the ulterior motives of the Save Rosenblatt Committee?
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  10:52:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is little doubt that the stadium will cost Omahans more than initial numbers state in terms of ancillary structures and improvements to various things to accommodate a stadium.

For months, people have said, "So what if you lose a parking lot...you can build a new parking garage to replace those spaces."

In an earlier post (on the last page), I outlined that it'd likely cost ~$20 million to build a parking garage that housed 1000+ automobiles. Since most (if not all) downtown garages and lots have spots leased to workers, I questioned where people were going to park for CWS games during the week.

When all is said and done, this is a $200+ million project.

$37.6 million is to be funded through stadium revenue sources -- naming rights, seating fees, etc. That money won't instantly appear the first year the stadium is built -- those are revenue projections over the course of the next several decades.

$60 million is going to come from Keno at a rate of $2 million per year. Again, that portion of the stadium won't be paid off until I am at least 65 years old.

I think we all know that when they say, "the stadium can be expanded to 35,000 seats at a future date" that it essentially means, "we'll come back in a few years and ask you for the additional $20 million to expand the stadium."

I have said before I think it'll be wonderful to have a new stadium in Omaha. But in some way, shape or form it'll end up costing taxpayers down the road -- either directly or indirectly.

It might mean that UNO Hockey and Creighton Hoops fans have to pay a higher seat tax to the city in the future...it might mean that the city increases taxes as a result of various future improvements to downtown for the CWS...

Just because we are building a new stadium, it doesn't mean that operating, maintenance and improvement costs are going to cease for the next 20 years.

I majored in public relations -- sometimes you have to read between the lines of "the sales pitch" that people give you when they want something to gain approval.

I think the new stadium will be fantastic and am already looking forward to attending games there. But I am not so naive to believe that it'll cost what they say it'll cost.
Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  1:16:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Just because we are building a new stadium, it doesn't mean that operating, maintenance and improvement costs are going to cease for the next 20 years.

I majored in public relations -- sometimes you have to read between the lines of "the sales pitch" that people give you when they want something to gain approval.

I think the new stadium will be fantastic and am already looking forward to attending games there. But I am not so naive to believe that it'll cost what they say it'll cost.

Rosenblatt has operating costs, but the city is revenue/profit positive now.

I do agree that there will be additional costs that are not thought of now. For example interest on the bonds. Cost overruns. There is a contigency included in the total cost. Part of the improvement costs (if not all) will be paid by MECA as they did to add the new seats on the North side of the arena.

While it remains to be seen if this thing will affect property taxes, I can assure you if we lost the CWS the property tax effect would be greater.
Go to Top of Page

twiztid1
Sophomore Mav

288 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  5:59:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Then you have to assume that the cost given to renovate or rebuild Rosenblatt is understated as well. Such additional costs would have to be covered by the tax payers too. We have to pay for this no matter which option was selected.

I think Fahey has been very open and honest throughout this whole thing. The problem is, no matter what he said, people claimed he was lying anyways. Fahey originally announced they were looking to build a new downtown stadium. However, people went into rage so the mayor announced a committee to study all options. Once again, the public claimed the mayor and his group were just biased. Along the way, we were kept updated on progress and when we could expect an announcement. While people arenít happy that Fahey discussed all the details with the NCAA first, he was right to do so. It didnít hurt the public. The mayor could have secretly met with the NCAA and made a public announcement afterwards, and no one would have been mad. Instead, Fahey was open with everyone by having a press conference to announce their location, the next step, and when the details would be released.
Go to Top of Page

icesoar
New Recruit

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  9:29:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hackermav

[quote]

While it remains to be seen if this thing will affect property taxes, I can assure you if we lost the CWS the property tax effect would be greater.

How can you assure me that my property taxes will go up if we lose the CWS? I would be interested to hear.

I know my property taxes will grow every other year if we build the new stadium. Every time we have given the go ahead to raise property taxes it never ends.

Also,I would be more interested on how much they could raise property taxes with the "Housing Bubble" bursting and property being worth less now. Where do they find the money when every one starts to protest their tax increases due to "real" depressed valuations? It could be very hard to justify any property tax increases when you can't hardly give a house away now.

soarice
Go to Top of Page

MavRick
A Better Fan Than You

USA
-3935 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  11:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're either in favor of the College World Series or you're in favor of parking lots and six dollars a year less in property taxes. Dress it up however you like.

"Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard." Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia Board of Education v. Barnette, Supreme Court of the United States (1943)
Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  08:05:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
One part of the parking puzzle came closer to falling into place. If the stadium is built on the Qwest Center Omaha lots C and E, the former Pinnacle plant at 10th Street and Capitol Avenue would most likely be leveled and paved over to provide temporary replacement parking.

City officials remain hopeful that a new full-service hotel, shops and other buildings will eventually rise on the site of the former plant that produced frozen dinners.

So we know there would be new parking new the QCO.

quote:
How can you assure me that my property taxes will go up if we lose the CWS? I would be interested to hear.

I know my property taxes will grow every other year if we build the new stadium. Every time we have given the go ahead to raise property taxes it never ends.

Well since we would lose anywhere from $35 to $50 million in economic benefit that the CWS brings every year. That helps boost city, county, and state coffers. Unless the government cuts expenses (not likely) they will have to find a new revenue source or rasie property taxes.

You do not know that they will have to raise taxes if we build this stadium. The numbers look sound. And we ahve already touched on the Douglas County Keno money. I agree with West O Mike, the city was already going to take that money in 2011 whether we got the new stadium or not.

quote:
Also,I would be more interested on how much they could raise property taxes with the "Housing Bubble" bursting and property being worth less now. Where do they find the money when every one starts to protest their tax increases due to "real" depressed valuations? It could be very hard to justify any property tax increases when you can't hardly give a house away now.

I guess I could see them raise property tax rates sky high, but if you factor in lower property values it still would be a neutral issue. You would still pay the same dollars, just a higher rate per home 'assessed' value at that year. But also remember most home values in the midwest have not lost as much value as the media would make you think.
Go to Top of Page

MavRick
A Better Fan Than You

USA
-3935 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  10:52:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's the other thing. Didn't the people who habitually whine about taxes lose in a mercy-rule shutout on their opposition to the Qwest Center?

Does anyone seriously argue the overwhelming value of that project to our city?

Certainly we have to be conscious of return on our investment, but given the overwhelming evidence of the economic value of the CWS, why do the tax whiners even get to talk anymore?

"Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard." Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia Board of Education v. Barnette, Supreme Court of the United States (1943)
Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  10:59:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it comes down to this:

Paranoia sells newspapers.
Go to Top of Page

tjelf
Bunner, man

2055 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  11:08:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Doesn't a downtown stadium also help the city in its commitment to Hilton revenues? After all, more demand=higher rates. Don't know the answer, but I don't believe I've heard anyone mention that angle.

---------------------
Who are you who can summon fire with neither flint nor tinder?
There are some who call me.....Tim?
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  11:42:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hackermav

quote:
One part of the parking puzzle came closer to falling into place. If the stadium is built on the Qwest Center Omaha lots C and E, the former Pinnacle plant at 10th Street and Capitol Avenue would most likely be leveled and paved over to provide temporary replacement parking.

City officials remain hopeful that a new full-service hotel, shops and other buildings will eventually rise on the site of the former plant that produced frozen dinners.

So we know there would be new parking new the QCO.

quote:

Well since we would lose anywhere from $35 to $50 million in economic benefit that the CWS brings every year. That helps boost city, county, and state coffers. Unless the government cuts expenses (not likely) they will have to find a new revenue source or rasie property taxes.

You do not know that they will have to raise taxes if we build this stadium. The numbers look sound. And we ahve already touched on the Douglas County Keno money. I agree with West O Mike, the city was already going to take that money in 2011 whether we got the new stadium or not.

quote:

I guess I could see them raise property tax rates sky high, but if you factor in lower property values it still would be a neutral issue. You would still pay the same dollars, just a higher rate per home 'assessed' value at that year. But also remember most home values in the midwest have not lost as much value as the media would make you think.

The property values will have to have a significant and sustained fall before the city will change your valuation. If you have a $150,000 house that drops to $100,000, you will get an adjustment. If your house drops to $130,000, you will be taxed as if it were $150,000 and the rates will go up as they always do.

The issue with this is that the $30M in income from the CWS is not something that most people feel. If I own Paulie's, I feel a lot of that. If I own a hotel or a car service, I feel a lot of that. If I am a dentist in Millard, how much do I feel? Compare that sensation to what that dentist feels about his tax bill.

The city can't continue to build toys for people if it has serious issues to deal with. We have a police and fire retirement problem, we have the sewer (nice how that just disappeared from discussion in city hall), and these problems aren't going away.

I don't want to see Omaha go the way of St. Louis or some of these other cities that have bankrupted the central city and drove the mobile to suburbs that have more affordable taxes.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  11:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not worried about property taxes increasing.

I'm just pontificating on the fact that there are many improvements -- unrelated to the stadium -- that'll be needed to be made to downtown in order to accommodate a large event like the CWS every summer.

Some will be private developments and others will require public expenditures. But a number of things will have to be addressed the next 20 years (an increased demand on parking in downtown for the CWS being one of them).

I think we all wonder how much of the economic impact from the event currently travels across the river to CB. And...you have to wonder how much of it will be walking across the Might Mo' once the pedestrian walkway is completed.

You also have to consider -- with MECA controlling all facilities -- if the "overall financial burden" will be increased on all acts and sports interests playing at MECA-operated facilities in order to keep each of the venues financially viable.

There is going to be a tremendous amount of pressure on the city and MECA to keep revenue flowing. How much will that hit people attending a Creighton basketball game...or people attending a UNO Hockey game...?
Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  1:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The property values will have to have a significant and sustained fall before the city will change your valuation. If you have a $150,000 house that drops to $100,000, you will get an adjustment. If your house drops to $130,000, you will be taxed as if it were $150,000 and the rates will go up as they always do.

Technically the County does the valuations, here nor there. Though I disagree, you are taxed based on your assessed value for that year. My taxes fall or rise 1 or 2% if my value falls or rises 1 or 2%. Unless those taxing authorities decide to raise the overall tax rate to accomodate the lowering of tax revenues.

So if all the assessed value in Omaha was $50 million and the city needed $1 million to fund operations the rate would be $ .02 per hundred dollars. If the assessed value goes down to $40 million the city still needs $1 million the tax rate goes up to $.025 per hundred. Rate and value differ, total tax is the same.

quote:
The issue with this is that the $30M in income from the CWS is not something that most people feel. If I own Paulie's, I feel a lot of that. If I own a hotel or a car service, I feel a lot of that. If I am a dentist in Millard, how much do I feel? Compare that sensation to what that dentist feels about his tax bill.

Whether you feel it or not, your taxes are lower based on the $30 million not having to come from the taxpayer pocket.

quote:
The city can't continue to build toys for people if it has serious issues to deal with. We have a police and fire retirement problem, we have the sewer (nice how that just disappeared from discussion in city hall), and these problems aren't going away.

I don't know if you could call this a toy, if the economic impact is sound. It is a money maker. But I cannot agree more on the fact that the city needs to tighten its belt. I see the firefighters are complaining about getting a raise of only 3.85% but having to give it all back in other cost increases (retirement, health insuracne). Do they not realize what is going on with the rest of the country? Salary increases for most Omahans (Americans) are being eaten up by the increase in health and retirement costs, and it has been going on for a few years. I like what Fahey has done to try to fix it.

quote:
I don't want to see Omaha go the way of St. Louis or some of these other cities that have bankrupted the central city and drove the mobile to suburbs that have more affordable taxes.

I would argue that the Phonebooth and the Stadium debunk your argument. These facilities are prime examples of tax dollars being spent to lure more disposable income to the 'central city'.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  5:09:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stupid is as stupid does.
quote:
Gregory Lyons filed an affidavit with the Douglas County Election Commission stating his intention to recall Fahey because of several of the mayor's decisions, including his handling of the stadium situation.

The affidavit is the first step in the recall process, said Douglas County Election Commissioner Dave Phipps.

Fahey will have 20 days to write a statement defending himself against Lyons' charge that he has conducted city business "behind closed doors."

After 20 days, the election commission will prepare petitions with Lyons' argument for Fahey's recall as well as the mayor's statement of defense.

Organizers of the recall will then have 30 days to gather at least 21,734 signatures, Phipps said. Only the signatures of registered votes in the city of Omaha will be considered valid, he said.

If enough signatures are collected, it will prompt a special election in which voters will decide whether to pull Fahey from office.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10277658&u_rss=1&

And if you are whining about taxes, who's paying for all these petitions and election?

Go to Top of Page

LAKingsFan
Freshman Mav

114 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2008 :  10:16:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i], why do the tax whiners even get to talk anymore?

I didn't disagree with your statement, but I can answer that question.

U.S. Constitution, Article 1.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  5:48:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:

I'll tell you why there shouldn't be a vote. All of the misinformation from the SaveRosenblatt folks that has muddled and confused the whole issue. Go back and research the whole history of the debate, dating back to the discussions from more than a year ago, and tell me where he hasn't been honest. Open? That charge might stick, except tell me of any negotiations where the public gets involved in it. They aren't doing this in Lincoln, where they are discussing building a new arena. This whole "Fahey isn't being open and honest" is simply a smear campaign.

The only thing Mike Fahey is guilty of is trying to keep the College World Series in Omaha. If you've got some proof otherwise, please bring it.

I don't know that Fahey should be recalled, but its pretty clear that he hasn't been exactly forthright with the people. As for his recall, I will leave that alone.

Your comment about not allowing a vote is troubling. If there is some inaccurate information, correct it. There are two sports talk radio stations, and two general talk radio stations. None of them have come out against the stadium. Neither has the OWH. I think you would have plenty of chances to air your side.

Not allowing a vote because the people are too ill-informed is dangerous thinking. Why vote at all? No election is completely free of fog. We do our best to make informed choices. Once a vote is held, we all agree to live with the results. The stadium would be much more openly supported if we could see that 51% or more of the people paying for it voted yes.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 03/08/2008 :  6:38:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe he isn't allowing a vote because he doesn't want to give dumb people a chance to cost the city the one giant public relations event they have. The more this goes along, the more I think Fehey was taken aside and the NCAA "demanded" a new stadium It may not have been approached that way, but before all this, Fehey was tight as all hell in terms of pinching city pennies. And now all of a sudden people accuse him of mismanagemetn because he's trying to keep the CWS?

Would you want to take any chance at all that YOU would be known as the mayor who lost the CWS?

Everybody's looking for somebody to lynch without thinking for even 5 minutes. It's not that hard to figure out what most likely took place.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.huskerh8er.com (and don't forget to visit www.zebrahead.com/news)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000