Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  11:32:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sokol is holding a press conference as a type this...
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  11:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
City agrees to no lawsuits over Qwest parking lot...

However, Sokol says it all has to be fleshed out in the next 4-6 weeks...

Sokol says that if MECA doesn't agree to Lots C&E, that there are other places in Omaha where this could be located. He says it is their goal to find a way to have the stadium there.

He mentioned when we was a member of the Airport Authority that people wanted to put a bicycle trail on part of the airport property. They had to refuse because it would have thwarted potential expansion at the airport as mandated by the FAA.

He said the traffic study wasn't a full traffic study at the QCO. He said we can't forget that we have multiple tenants at the QCO -- UNO Hockey, Creighton Basketball, RiverCity RoundUp -- and that we can't take their needs for granted if multiple events are held at the same time. He said it is possible that they can find a way to make traffic flow even better if multiple events are being held at the stadium and at the arena (ex. a concert and a baseball game).

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  11:54:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10270374

As I recall, the big issue with the bike trail at the airport wasn't "expansion", but rather security. Namely, people on top of the levee as planes fly a couple hundred feet overhead preparing to land or taking off.

The "multiple tenants" issue he brings up is a red herring. Mav hockey is October to March. Briejay hoops is November to March. Hick week is in late September. College baseball is March to June. Pro baseball is April to Labor Day. Very little overlap is going to happen with those tenants. Even if Creighton opens up the season (weather permitting) at the start of March, they'll play an afternoon game while basketball/hockey would likely be a night game.

Concerts are really the only potential for overlapping events. Unless MECA finds a way to get an AFL franchise into the Qwest Center. You won't be able to hold a Springsteen concert on the 4th of July along with the fireworks baseball game. But if they figure out how to handle CWS attendance of 25,000, they'll find a way to handle a concert with 18,000 and a baseball game with 6,000 fans.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

krutov 9
All-Star Mav

Russia
2987 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  11:55:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last I checked CU & UNO don't play in June. But I may be missing something....
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  12:06:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krutov 9

Last I checked CU & UNO don't play in June. But I may be missing something....

I know...and they ignore UNO's needs anyway...
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  12:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a proven fact that there are no large conventions or concerts going on during the CWS, because all the hotel rooms in town are completely booked.

That excuse is absolutely...100% completely sprinkled with horse sh8t.

It's about power and authority. Plain and simple...how else do you make the connection between a bike trail through the woods of unoccupied NE Omaha...and a 50 year event that brings in bucket loads of cash and notority?

Yeah..almost the same thing Dave.

Stop lying to me.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.huskerh8er.com (and don't forget to visit www.zebrahead.com/news)
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  12:43:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sokol also said that it'd cost UNO $60 million to build their own on-campus hockey arena (after the Karnes Commission recommended one)...even though he'd never researched the issue...
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  12:56:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, he researched the issue a little. He's helping Creighton build the $12 million Sokol Arena. Maybe he's taking the price of the Sokol Arena and scaling it up for 5 times the seating.

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  1:02:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

Well, he researched the issue a little. He's helping Creighton build the $12 million Sokol Arena. Maybe he's taking the price of the Sokol Arena and scaling it up for 5 times the seating.

Be that as it may...
Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1723 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  1:37:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MavEcon... All of Detroit looks crappy from the outside. Tiger Stadium looks great from inside the park and at street level looking in through the fence.

"You can't spell War without W!
Serving it up for 4 + years!"

Steve Coppard
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  1:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All true.

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  1:58:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are we talking about the old Tiger Stadium...or Comerica Park?
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  2:01:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Comerica

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  3:19:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked the looks of Comerica when we were in Detroit a few years back...
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  3:23:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm talking about the outside. It looks like a farm out-building covered in badly coordinated pinstripes. Especially with Ford Field next to it.

Inside is really nice, though.

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  4:44:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Comerica from the outside as well.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  8:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No Michigander that I know likes Comerica from the outside. We all thought they designed and built a lovely field and then forgot about the outside. Different strokes...

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  9:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's facing east south east vice east north east as recommended in the MLB rule book. I'm sure the outfielders and folks sitting in the outfield seats will love squinting.

DBF
Life, Liberty and the pursuit of all who threaten it
Go to Top of Page

The Judge
Sophomore Mav

Germany
415 Posts

Posted - 02/29/2008 :  12:21:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like from the OWH that Stinson may be the one who will get the credit for saving the CWS. If he can get those two to "play nice" and work things out, the place should maybe be named "Stinson Field" at _______________ Park.

"Don't get eliminated": Kenny Blankenship-MXC
Go to Top of Page

LAKingsFan
Freshman Mav

114 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2008 :  11:09:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may have already been answered in the 22 previous pages, but does anybody know what they're going to do about parking for the next three years while C & E and 12th Street are closed?

Are they actually planning to build additional parking ahead of stadium construction? If so, where will it be? If they don't get parking figured out, I (and I'm guessing a lot of others) won't be going to the Q for anything the next few years.

That would have a huge financial impact on our city in paying the Qwest's bills. If big concert acts can't sell out because of our parking problems, expect them to go to KC instead. Then we're back where we started.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  08:06:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since supposedly most of the additional parking is going to be surface parking, I would imagine that it wouldn't take very long to get those new lots set up. In any event, I think the parking issue has been overblown. A lot of the complaints about parking came from the recent Bon Jovi concert, but the lots didn't fill up for that event. People didn't bother to head up Abbott Drive towards the entrance to Lot D, where there was still open parking.

Go to Top of Page

MavRick
A Better Fan Than You

USA
-3935 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  1:43:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anybody else find it odd that people who oppose the new stadium do so on the ground that there won't be enough parking, when that problem is overwhelmingly bad at Rosenblatt now? Yeah, I'm willing to be triple-parked in on somebody's lawn for $10 (walking beer included) and walk a mile to Rosenblatt, but through a grid street system that includes about 300 bars, restaurants and other attractions to go to the state-of-the-art ballpark? No way.

Also, do we REALLY think that David Sokol et al, who staked so much of their civic honor on the parking question, are going to negotiate their deal with the Mayor and not get parking addressed during construction? And, while there's a tremendous development upside to the ballpark in North Downtown, have you noticed there seems to be lots of real estate currently available?

There are already surface lots and garages within a three-minute walk of the Q that have already figured out that they can offer better deals. If you can't find a place to park near the Qwest Center outside of the $6 lots, or if you're really saying, "Yes, the Eagles/Flo Rida/Elvis/Hillary Duff may be coming to the Qwest, but I won't go if I have to take a five-minute trolley ride," I'm not sure we're going to have a meaningful conversation on the rest of it.

"Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard." Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia Board of Education v. Barnette, Supreme Court of the United States (1943)
Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1723 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  3:15:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd still vote for a 5 story parking garage on the old Swanson site.

"You can't spell War without W!
Serving it up for 5 + years!"

Steve Coppard
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  3:22:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't go to the concert, but I have been to the Qwest when there were the state wrestling meet and a medical education meeting at the convention center. While the internal space of the convention center was cavernous and strangely quiet, the parking was nuts! I had pre-paid lot B parking, but it was nearly full as was lot D. Oddly, lots C and E were not. I don't know what the deal is with parking as some of the lots were blocked.

I was also down there driving by the Qwest when they had the dog show. Lot D was chock full of campers and trailers. Lots B and C were full of attendees. This event was to me the reason lot D should remain a flat lot. There was no way the people in lot D could have parked their vehicles in a parking structure.

I am rather sympathetic to the peculiar parking phenomenon that go on there. At neither occasion I was involved with were the facilities used to anywhere close to their max, but at both, there were parking issues. Now what is really causing them is probably multifactorial.

I wonder if there is a Human Resources angle to the parking issue. That MECA wants to employ the fewest parking attendants possible, so they cram as many cars into one lot as they can before opening another, thus creating parking congestion even when the convention center held one meeting of about 250 people and the state wrestling meet was going on.

The one thing that the Qwest reminds me of is the wisdom of thinking that people will continue to come to Omaha for the CWS with gas at $4 a gallon this summer and probably $5 in the future. The qwest convention center was built so that we could host conventions of 5-10,000 people just as the market for these size of conventions dried up. We see the medical convention business as getting larger and smaller. That there are more 25-50,000 people events and more 100-1000 person events and fewer that need a Qwest. Could we be walking into the same deal with this new park?
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  4:08:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rick brings up an excellent point about the strangeness of the parking debate. Last week, I got into an exchange with someone over parking, and he explained to me that he went out last month to find a yard to tailgate in relatively close to the Blatt. In the end, he kind of acknowledged that there is more parking at the Qwest Center; he just wouldn't be able to scout out somebody's yard downtown five blocks from the Qwest Center and claim it in February. He'd simply have to fight with everybody else for parking spots. And he didn't like taking his chances and fighting for a parking spot that changes from day to day. He liked his reserved spot in someone's yard.

quote:
Originally posted by Bigredmed

Didn't go to the concert, but I have been to the Qwest when there were the state wrestling meet and a medical education meeting at the convention center. While the internal space of the convention center was cavernous and strangely quiet, the parking was nuts! I had pre-paid lot B parking, but it was nearly full as was lot D. Oddly, lots C and E were not. I don't know what the deal is with parking as some of the lots were blocked.

I was also down there driving by the Qwest when they had the dog show. Lot D was chock full of campers and trailers. Lots B and C were full of attendees. This event was to me the reason lot D should remain a flat lot. There was no way the people in lot D could have parked their vehicles in a parking structure.

I am rather sympathetic to the peculiar parking phenomenon that go on there. At neither occasion I was involved with were the facilities used to anywhere close to their max, but at both, there were parking issues. Now what is really causing them is probably multifactorial.

In other words, the problems with parking at the Qwest Center has less to do with quantity and more with management.

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  4:53:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've always been a fan of the concept of a light rail system to various points in downtown and in midtown.

Go to the CWS this summer and you'll see empty parking places in the lot on the east side of the Blatt for certain sessions.

The those sports are empty is because they are committed to season ticketholders, donors, sponsors, VIPs, etc. Those folks only show up in certain instances and for certain games.

http://www.cwsomaha.com/stadium/parking.html

quote:
Rosenblatt Stadium parking is not available to the general public during the Series. Only those with hang tags parking permits are allowed to park in designated lots on a "space available" basis. As in the past, a hangtag parking permit does not guarantee parking.

That's the rub of "fixed parking" at any facility for an event like the CWS. Sure, the QCO has other lots and a sizable parking garage. In addition, I am sure they'll be given the land south of the Hilton where the former Swanson plant and Hauff Sporting Goods currently reside.

Regardless, people who purchase season tickets and club seats, sponsors, and MECA staff will occupy a sizable portion of the QCO parking spaces from the outset -- meaning that GA attendees (roughly somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of current attendance) and those who purchase individual session tickets will have to find other locales in which to park their vehicles.

Plus, MECA will likely require that parking be "reserved" for other potential events (concerts, etc.) that particular week.

Many CWS games are played during the day -- when much of Omaha's workforce is in downtown. Those people occupy garages and parking lots in downtown each day. The Omaha Park 8 garage is a beautiful parking structure, but it is one of many garages that is "rented" by employees at various downtown businesses.

http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/Parking%20Garages.pdf

When we go to the CWS, we typically have someone (like my brother-in-law) drop us off and pick us up later. However, when we have driven to games the past several years we have found free parking in the neighborhoods north and south of Rosenblatt with little trouble.

I think it would behoove the city (at some point in the future) to look at a more stylish form of mass transit than city buses and shuttles. Because there will inevitably be bottlenecks for an event like the CWS that take place during weekday afternoons.

That is something that analyzing parking at Creighton games and Bon Jovi concerts won't truly be able to factor in.

Like the Qwest Center, Omahans will really enjoy the new ballpark once it is complete. I am already excited to see a Creighton/Nebraska baseball game there.

But the CWS will be a different experience than it has been the past 50 years.

Having attended a Frozen Four, I can honestly say that I missed the homegrown, "non-clean" environment around Rosenblatt. If dealing with a sterile, generic, and corporate sporting environment is your thing, then you'll love how the CWS will evolve next to the Qwest Center.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  4:58:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

But the CWS will be a different experience than it has been the past 50 years.

Having attended a Frozen Four, I can honestly say that I missed the homegrown, "non-clean" environment around Rosenblatt. If dealing with a sterile, generic, and corporate sporting environment is your thing, then you'll love how the CWS will evolve next to the Qwest Center.

That has nothing to do with the Qwest Center. It was going to become sterile, generic, and corporate if it had remained at 13th & Bert Murphy. The NCAA was demanding the clean zone so they could impose their sterile, generic, corporate environment on the CWS.

Go to Top of Page

LAKingsFan
Freshman Mav

114 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  5:51:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MavRick

Does anybody else find it odd that people who oppose the new stadium do so on the ground that there won't be enough parking, when that problem is overwhelmingly bad at Rosenblatt now? Yeah, I'm willing to be triple-parked in on somebody's lawn for $10 (walking beer included) and walk a mile to Rosenblatt, but through a grid street system that includes about 300 bars, restaurants and other attractions to go to the state-of-the-art ballpark? No way.

First of all, I'm not against the stadium, nor am I against putting it where they're putting it. And I know that eventually they're going to put in additional parking. But if they take away two lots before they're replaced, there are going to be problems until they are replaced--especially if they are minus two lots for something like this weekend when the travel show is in town along with what should be good hockey crowds.

quote:
Also, do we REALLY think that David Sokol et al, who staked so much of their civic honor on the parking question, are going to negotiate their deal with the Mayor and not get parking addressed during construction? And, while there's a tremendous development upside to the ballpark in North Downtown, have you noticed there seems to be lots of real estate currently available?

I have no idea what David Sokol et al are thinking, and I havent' heard him et al say anything about it. Have you? If so, what was said? Until somebody addresses it, it's a valid question.

quote:
There are already surface lots and garages within a three-minute walk of the Q that have already figured out that they can offer better deals. If you can't find a place to park near the Qwest Center outside of the $6 lots, or if you're really saying, "Yes, the Eagles/Flo Rida/Elvis/Hillary Duff may be coming to the Qwest, but I won't go if I have to take a five-minute trolley ride," I'm not sure we're going to have a meaningful conversation on the rest of it.

A lot of people won't. I could care less how far away I park if it's just me. But usually when I go to Maverick games, I have handicapped people with me. I drop them off at the door and go park in a handicapped spot so they don't have far to walk after the game. So now you'll ask why don't I pick them up at the door...It's not practical to go get my car, head south on 12th street to Capitol (of course 12th will be closed, so probably 13th or 14th by then), make a left to 10th, attempt to make another left on 10th as the crowd crosses 10th and Capitol. Stop in front of the Qwest while the crowd crosses 10th before I can make another loop back around the who-knows-where so I can head home. Too much of a hassle. Not worth it.

You make the wrong assumption that a three-minute walk for you is a three-minute walk for everybody. If you're 75-years-old, have bad arthritis, and it's 15 degrees out, it's not a three-minute walk. If you take away all the handicapped spots from Lot C that people park in for the convention center, they will have to park in Lot B. There just aren't enough handicapped spots in Lot B to accommodate a convention and an arena event.

"Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard." Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia Board of Education v. Barnette, Supreme Court of the United States (1943)

[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

The Judge
Sophomore Mav

Germany
415 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  10:06:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I need some architect input here but, I've heard the cost of a multilevle parking garage runs between $10,000-$15,000 per parking space constructed.

"Don't get eliminated": Kenny Blankenship-MXC
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  10:38:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If they do a garage at the Swanson site hopefully they put retail/restaraunt/bar bays on the first level like they did at the garage on O street in Lincoln.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000