Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  1:01:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You have to also consider the "intangibles" when dealing with Omaha as a convention or conference site.

The hotel is merely one component.

* Airfare to Omaha -- in general -- will cost more than flying to a destination city that is a hub like Chicago or Minneapolis.

* We lack a number of the "touristy" amenities that attract people to the major destinations -- scenic, commercial, artistic, etc.

Conference and event coordinators and organizers setup group rates for conferences and conventions. So "raw" numbers from hotel sites isn't indicative of what those folks face when making a charge.

A larger urban environment -- with more hotels -- creates an increase in competition and an ability for event organizers to "bargain" with a hotel.

Let me use an example...

When Bridget organizes bus trips, it is much easier to get a good deal in a larger cities like Lansing or Columbus than it is in Big Rapids (MI), Marquette (MI) or Oxford (OH). The reason being is that the smaller towns have fewer hotels -- and are often less willing to compete for your business.

Obviously, that is a more "extreme" example, but Omaha faces the same issues when compared to a city like Chicago or Minneapolis.

To a general consumer, Omaha's hotel prices (including the tax) might seem fair compared to a larger city. However, to an event organizer (who is looking for a group rate and considering including things like meals and drink tickets) it might not be as attractive...or have the ability to compete.

And we all know that the QCO isn't exactly the cheapest place to hold a conference or event. Oftentimes, organizers are looking for hotels with the ability to hold the event on site. Omaha has a growing number of hotels able to meet that need, but it still behind larger metropolitan areas.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  1:20:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's why the hotel tax is such a red herring. There are so many other factors in play that a high hotel tax will only matter if it makes a difference in the bottom line costs. I understand why the hotels don't like it and why they are protesting... they probably should. But without a reasonable alternative, their protests fall on deaf ears to me.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  1:38:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

Umm...I don't think you "sell" the NCAA, the NCAA tells you what you need to do. I think that's what most people who are up in arms over this are missing. You ignore the NCAA's requests/demands at your own peril. Fahey knows this. Diesing knows this. Most of Omaha's power brokers know this.

I didn't mean to imply that we could "dictate terms" to the NCAA.

No site -- whether it is Indianapolis or Oklahoma City -- is going to be the "perfect" site.

Every potential site has its pros and cons.

If the NCAA were to move the event to Victory Field in Indianapolis, they might get a very scenic ballpark in the heart of downtown.

But...they'd be surrendering thousands of season ticketholders and general admission ticket buyers in Omaha and the surrounding 5-county area (which makes up the overwhelming majority of attendees each year).

It is possible that isn't important to the NCAA.
Go to Top of Page

Tvas13
Freshman Mav

USA
161 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  2:10:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hackermav

http://www.omahastadium.com/

And here is the website of the new stadium. Not up until 2pm today.

They pushed it back till 2:15. They may be running into problems with it. I am anxious to see what they are posting.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  2:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't kid yourself. Indy puts on big events in their sleep.

And I'm pretty sure there are surrounding counties there as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.huskerh8er.com (and don't forget to visit www.zebrahead.com/news)
Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1723 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  2:24:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stadium website now up and running.

"You can't spell War without W!
Serving it up for 4 + years!"

Steve Coppard
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  2:25:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I went to the NCAA tourney in Nashville in 2003 while on a business trip. It was packed and sure looked like a lot of local interest to me.

I think you're basing too much of your opinion on hockey Jon.

By you line of thinking, the NCAA could/should move the CWS to Williamsport, PA. The Little League World Series averages more per session, adn draws almost 30,000 to the finals. Not sure if you've ever been to Western PA, but in that situation..the series is surrounded by the Amish.

Omaha puts on a nice event...a perfect event for the size of the city...but if you think nobody else could pull that off...you're crazy.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  2:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The batter looks SE. Can that be right?

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

CampUSA
Camp...not Comp

Denmark
1761 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  2:31:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes SE - towards the Qwest.

On live now talking about all the details.

"Van of Fun" Driver
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  2:40:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

But...they'd be surrendering thousands of season ticketholders and general admission ticket buyers in Omaha and the surrounding 5-county area (which makes up the overwhelming majority of attendees each year).

Professor Goss analyzed the crowds and determined that nearly 50% of attendees were from out of the state of Nebraska.

Go to Top of Page

mavaholic
Sophomore Mav

USA
342 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  2:49:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only see that they talk to 24,000 seats. Is there any room for growth? Or is this going to be it????

Do you believe in miracles? YES! --Al Michaels
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  2:53:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are talking about expansion right now...

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  2:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it's funny that the Save Rosenblatt people..the ones who started it...are actually advocating and fighting for their homes to be bulldozed over.

http://www.omahastadium.com/

Would many homes have to be displaced under a Rosenblatt renovation?
The Rosenblatt Stadium architectural design included the purchase of property on the west side of 13th Street between Deer Park Boulevard and Phelps Street, and south of Bert Murphy Drive immediately adjacent to the existing site for the creation of a “Clean Zone.” A total of 68 parcels are located on the proposed site, mainly occupied by single family residence homes.

Go to Top of Page

mavaholic
Sophomore Mav

USA
342 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  2:58:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AJ: They home owners know that is the only way they can sell their house, based on the current market and the neighborhood, to some extent.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  3:09:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
True...could be.

Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  3:11:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My disappointments:

1. No firm committments from private donors, yet.
2. I would rather the stadium have more of a 'older' feel, like Camden Yards.
3. I believe they are seriously underestimating the revenue potential. But I do believe they are lowering the revenue that the stadium would have to pay for itself, by not including any of the money that would be used to operate the stadium.

Setting all of the last 6 months worth of bs, overall I believe the direction shown from the plans are the best course of action.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  3:26:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am trying to look at the site, but their connection is timing out...

Is there any indication that the NCAA is giving a 25 to 30 year commitment in exchange for the new downtown ballpark?
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  3:31:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think that's part of the current negotiations with the NCAA. I think bare minimum is a 20 year commitment, but they had better be asking for something closer to "forever".

Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1723 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  3:39:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new Tiger Stadium is really nice and has the outfield visible from street level. This is a good looking, though modern, stadium. After all it's not 1917 anymore.

Steve Coppard
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  3:44:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Omaha.com has an article outlining where the funding will come from...

quote:
The projected cost of the new stadium is $127.84 million, plus $11.95 million that the city still owes for past improvements to Rosenblatt. That brings the total projected cost to $139.79 million, according to the stadium finance plan.

Nearly a third of the cost, or $42.95 million, would come from private donations. In addition, $37.6 million would come from stadium revenues, including premium seats, naming rights for the stadium, parking, a seat tax charged on baseball tickets and leases with the Omaha Royals and Creighton University.

The remaining $59.24 million would come from public funding. That money would be generated by a 1 percent increase in the city's hotel tax. Omaha's portion of the car rental tax would increase from $6 to $8 per rental.

Additionally, the city would contribute about $2.13 million a year in keno revenue that's currently allocated for Douglas County. The $1.67 million per year that Omaha has budgeted to pay debt interest on Rosenblatt also would be diverted to help pay for the stadium.
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  4:02:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by admin

Omaha.com has an article outlining where the funding will come from...

quote:
The projected cost of the new stadium is $127.84 million, plus $11.95 million that the city still owes for past improvements to Rosenblatt. That brings the total projected cost to $139.79 million, according to the stadium finance plan.

Nearly a third of the cost, or $42.95 million, would come from private donations. In addition, $37.6 million would come from stadium revenues, including premium seats, naming rights for the stadium, parking, a seat tax charged on baseball tickets and leases with the Omaha Royals and Creighton University.

The remaining $59.24 million would come from public funding. That money would be generated by a 1 percent increase in the city's hotel tax. Omaha's portion of the car rental tax would increase from $6 to $8 per rental.

Additionally, the city would contribute about $2.13 million a year in keno revenue that's currently allocated for Douglas County. The $1.67 million per year that Omaha has budgeted to pay debt interest on Rosenblatt also would be diverted to help pay for the stadium.

Clare Duda did say that the County would raise property taxes to offset this. It would be about 1 cent per hundred added. It seems that this is within my range of $100 additional. To this I only say, if the numbers actually come out this way, enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  4:13:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NoClu

The new Tiger Stadium is really nice and has the outfield visible from street level. This is a good looking, though modern, stadium. After all it's not 1917 anymore.

Steve Coppard

But Tiger Stadium is so ugly on the outside. That awful white sheet metal. Bleah!

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  4:49:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They said today that the capacity of the proposed stadium could be expanded to 35,000 (something they'll probably do in the decade after the stadium is built).

What's interesting is that is going to give Omaha a ballpark close to MLB parks

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Major_League_Baseball_stadiums

It is amazing to think that we might soon have a ballpark in Omaha that is ~5,000 seats smaller than many Major League venues -- all in response to the NCAA.
Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 02/27/2008 :  7:59:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also believe that they are seriously underestimating the naming rights at 8.9 million. I would think it would more along the line of the QCO (14-18 million range).

I also that we would be able to retire the current Rosenblatt debt immediately upon approval, of course the city will have to give up the land (to the Zoo), but would also be freed of the demo costs.
Go to Top of Page

mavaholic
Sophomore Mav

USA
342 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  07:55:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Retire the Blatt's debt upon approval? Pretty sure that the Blatt has to remain open until the new stadium is built, i.e. 2010....(I know, splitting hairs :) )

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  08:30:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think the donations are going to be an issue:
quote:
Some of the strongest endorsements of the plan came from two Omaha financiers and philanthropists, Mike Yanney and Bruce Lauritzen. Both said the private fundraising target of $43 million is realistic.

"I think the business community will support it," said Yanney, who headed the effort to raise funds for the Joslyn Art Museum expansion.

Lauritzen, chairman of First National Bank of Omaha, said "what the stadium will do for the core of our city is very special."
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10269962

Go to Top of Page

MavBridget
The Girl Wonder

France
6424 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  09:31:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"First National Bank of Omaha Field"??
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  10:11:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FNB doesn't use the "of Omaha" part anymore, since they are now all over the state as well as Kansas City, Denver, and Dallas now. "First National Field" is probably a good possibility.

"Mutual of Omaha Ballpark" is also a possibility since Mutual is trying to get into the banking biz as well as their nationwide insurance. ("Hey, let's go to the MOO!")

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  10:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"The Moo" would be awesome

Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 02/28/2008 :  11:19:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would be udderly awesome...

Yeah. I went there.

---
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic