Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  09:39:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They've already screwd up the ONE big event we all wanted (NCAA basketball regionals), but giving Bruce Rassmussen and the white glove wearing pr*cks who buy his tickets a chance to take over the entire event. And I don't give a rats a$$ if that's how other places do it or not...most other cities don't have a private institiution with 6,000 students playing in a City owned facility that is NHL and NBA caliber.

The formation of MECA and their dirty kickbacks/favors are the worst thing that could have happened to sports in this town. Glad the hicks from western Iowa are happy they're getting Carrie Underwood concerts left and right, because everything else is completely jacked up.

Thanks to all who made it possible.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.huskerh8er.com (and don't forget to visit www.zebrahead.com/news)
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  12:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder if some of Omaha's corporate titans had a discussion with some members of the MECA board; they are in full-blown retreat now.
quote:
MECA board Chairman David Sokol seemed to open the door to a possible compromise by saying the issue could be resolved if MECA were granted management control over the stadium.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10260433

Gee... Fahey talked about letting MECA running the stadium months ago.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 02/16/2008 :  1:40:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I wonder if some of Omaha's corporate titans had a discussion with some members of the MECA board; they are in full-blown retreat now.
quote:
MECA board Chairman David Sokol seemed to open the door to a possible compromise by saying the issue could be resolved if MECA were granted management control over the stadium.
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10260433

Gee... Fahey talked about letting MECA running the stadium months ago.

I wonder if someone suggested a ballot issue removing MECA as an entity in Omaha.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  11:31:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Theyy'd have my vote. The sooner those assclowns are gone the better.

Also of note..funny that Omaha.com had a little instant-poll up about where to put the ballpark. Running about 4 or 5 to 1 to rennovate Rosenblatt.

Good luck with that.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to Top of Page

mavaholic
Sophomore Mav

USA
342 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  2:21:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10261962

Committee backs the downtown plan.....

Do you believe in miracles? YES! --Al Michaels
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  2:27:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No surprise, except for a lack of details...
quote:
Several details are yet to be worked out on the stadium review committee's plan to build an up to $140 million ballpark on lots C and E.

Ken Stinson, chairman of the review committee, said the proposal still must be presented to the NCAA before it is rolled out to the public. A financing plan for the stadium still has not been made public, and the City Council also would have to sign off on the plan.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10261962

But the MECA power play continues...

quote:
As part of the negotiations, Sokol sought a pledge from Fahey that the city would not go to court to get the lots for the stadium if no agreement with MECA was reached. Fahey declined to sign that pledge, and Sokol said that could be the end of cooperation.

Fahey said he could not give up legal rights before they have even begun detailed negotiations. Fahey said he is proposing a new offer that will give both sides a way to work out an agreement.

So MECA wanted the city to agree to essentially let MECA name their own terms? That might be an even bigger sweetheart deal than they currently have.
quote:
None of the convention center and arena revenues other than the seat tax, naming rights and a share of parking fees go to the city to pay the construction debt. MECA keeps other revenues, including rental fees and concessions.

Stinson said the financing plan for the ballpark is dependent on the revenues generated by the stadium.

Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  2:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kind of anti-clamactic.

It's not about power. It's about power and money.

What does MECA want the first $20 million a year in case it has to build some extra bathrooms too?

Does anyone know if the MECA contract/bylaws are anywhere in oooohspace? I would love to see who MECA reports to. Who is the one(s) that would essentially review their performance?

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  3:12:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think about the Pittsburgh arena debate from last year. That too was a high-stakes game of political chicken between elected officials who were worried about their legacy, their power and their bottom line.

The ONLY reason the Pens stayed was because the guy making the ultimate decision..Super Mario loved Pittsburgh, and was a great guy with a huge connection to the city.

In this case, the guys making the decision are evil to the core of their charcoal encrusted souls, who by their own greed and arrogance, will just as soon blink an eye as they will sucker punch this town from behind.

This is a very very dangerous game. I'm glad the mayor stuck to his guns and told MECA to go F themselves....but the ball is now in Roger/Sokol/Daub's court. what they do next may very well decide where the CWS ends up in the end.

Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  3:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
The ONLY reason the Pens stayed was because the guy making the ultimate decision..Super Mario loved Pittsburgh, and was a great guy with a huge connection to the city.

Actually, as I've heard it, the deal to move to KC was signed, sealed, and nearly delivered when Gary Bettman stepped in and vetoed the move. /shrug

---
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  3:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That would really Mountain Dew me off.

(#$&)@#(&$)@#($()@#

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  5:52:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, guess what. David Sokol either hasn't been paying attention...or is rather forgetful...
quote:
Posted by admin at 09/24/2007

My apologies.

MECA will control a new ballpark.

http://action3news.com/Global/story.asp?S=7012820

quote:Action 3 News has learned of another key move in the battle for a new downtown ballpark.

Mayor Mike Fahey says if a new ball park is built, it should be run by MECA, the same people who run the Qwest Center.

While the Mayor says nothing's final, and that Rosenblatt Stadium could remain home to the College World Series, the City is also looking at a downtown ballpark, just north of the Qwest in Parking Lot "D."

Sources tell Action 3 News that MECA is balking at the ballpark worried it will phohibit the Qwest from expanding.

According to the City's contract with MECA Qwest must have at least 4,000 parking stalls at any one time. Right now there are 4,585. Lot "D" has 1,677. Eliminating Lot "D" would leave 2,908 stalls. In addition the contract states that regarding, "...parking areas designated for future development, MECA and the City shall cooperate."

Asked if MECA can stop the City from building the ballpark in Lot "D" the Mayor says, "I don't know that. My impression is we're gonna try to work all those things out."
http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4455&whichpage=2

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/18/2008 :  6:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Expand the Qwest!?!? WTF

They can't fill the convention center now, and they'll never do better than an NCAA regional (which all the retired dentists and lawyers have cornered the market on anyway.) What the hell would they possibly get to be "bigger?"

Make Brad Paisley do 2 shows instead of one.

I know this is wrong..and I know it would devestate a lot of people (I personally wouldn't be caught dead down there during the series)....but I almost want to see the NCAA pull out over this. Why? It's been 200 years since anybody has been tared and feathered in this town...and I'd hate to miss history when Sokol, Daub etc get tired to the rail car and pushed out of town. (Or Fehey, or whomever else is responsible for the NCAA leaving.)

Exciting during a boring time of year.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2008 :  6:03:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More MECA myopia
quote:
[Hal] Daub reiterated his opposition to any stadium on Lots C and E with a laundry list of potential problems that included loss of convention center and arena parking, added traffic congestion in the NoDo area and added inconvenience for those who attend conventions and arena events.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10263771

Let's see, last week they came out and said that the traffic patterns for the Qwest Center (probably designed under the Daub administration) were f*ed up and that by fixing that, traffic would move smoother even with a stadium. They also planned to roughly replace each parking space occupied by the stadium with two new spaces.

Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  08:30:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Let's break this down a little since Fahey can not/will not.

Downtown Stadium
$140 Million Estimated Cost
-$20 Million Estimated Naming Rights (30 years)
-$15 Million in Seat fees ($1.50) in just College World Series attendance alone (30 years)
-$40 Million in Private Donations
-$11 Million in additional Parking Fees (30 years)
-$30 Million in Estimated Keno Revenues (30 years) once city/county ends
=$26 Million over 30 years to make up through other sources

Renovate Rosenblatt
$ 80 Million Estimated Cost
- 0 Million Naming Rights
-$15 Million in Seat Fees ($1.50) (just CWS alone) if this is not already charged now it will be to pay for renovation
- 0 Million in Private Donations
- 0 Million in Additional Parking Fees
-$30 Million in Est Keno Revenues (30 years)
=$35 Million over 30 years to make up.

Just a simple equation to show basics of what this will cost. Feel free to blast my logic or add to it.

I don't know how to equate MECA's cut in this. Or the NCAA's. But I believe both would be negligible versus what the NCAA gets now and what the the city spends to manage the Blatt versus what MECA would get.

The private money and naming rights alone are the main reason a downtown stadium is no more risky (taxpayer costwise) versus renovating Rosenblatt.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  09:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You bring an excellent point with the parking revenues. Right now, people are paying $15 and $20 to park in some guys yard. MECA's "standard" rate is $6, but you could take a cue from the rest of the world and hike the parking price to market levels for Qwest Center parking during the CWS. Say averaging $15 for 4,000 cars. Assuming that the media and NCAA officials are going to demand free parking, and we're not sure how much parking is going to be available at the Qwest Center. The W-H today estimated that there would be 5,000+ spots after this is done, so I'll go with 4,000 spots.

$15 x 4000 = $60,000 a game. 12 days of the CWS = $720,000. Over 20 years, over $14 million. Over 30 years, $21 million. And that will go up like inflation. (I'm betting that in 2040, you'll probably be happy to pay $50 for a good parking spot; after all, what would you have paid for a parking spot in 1978, $2?)

I think those numbers are conservative myself. I know the Kansas City Chiefs charge $20+ for football parking at Arrowhead, and they get it. You might be able to charge $25 to park in lots B and D, but maybe only $10 in farther away lots.

That's a revenue stream that simply doesn't exist at Rosenblatt. The stadium parking at the Blatt is tougher to get than getting season tickets, so I figure people who have those spots are paying a pretty penny for them.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  10:46:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Logic and proper analysis have no place in this argument sir.

Sincerely,
Save Rosdenblatt idiots
Go to Top of Page

Mojo325is
McQueen...

Brazil
1654 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  11:10:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was at the grocery store yesterday and some idiot (I'm presuming from Save Rosenblatt) was passing out 'Recall Fahey' flyers.

------------

Trying to elude the Mickey Mouse Brigade
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  11:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
IF the CWS does leave, I hope the blame goes directly to those who caused it..namely the Save Rosenblatt idiots, Hal Daub and David Sokol.

Time will tell.

Go to Top of Page

The Judge
Sophomore Mav

Germany
415 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  11:26:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At this point in time, it is quickly becoming WHEN and not IF.

"Don't get eliminated": Kenny Blankenship-MXC
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  11:34:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm surprised by the current World-Herald poll; people are starting to warm up or are realizing that the Save Rosenblatt folks are idiots. It's running 60/40 against the new stadium plan, which is down quite a bit from 80/20.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  12:53:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More from Shatel:
http://shatel.omaha.com/archive-stripped.php?u_post_date=2008-02-21
quote:
Published Thursday, Feb. 21, 2008
Why doesn't the city and MECA work at building a parking garage or two at the current parking lots to clear up some land for the baseball stadium? Making a two-level parking garage on one of the lots wouldn't be a complete eyesore that takes away from any views. They could also work together to model some of the west lots after the Plaza area in K.C. Make some structures with a few entrances that immediately take you to parking located above restaurants, shops, and other businesses. This could would aid in the "NoDo" development and draw more people to the area.

The easy answer is, because it's not really about a parking lot. It's about egos and control and politics.

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  2:09:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who appoints the MECA Board and who has oversight?

That's what puzzles me. It seems like they have free reign over this situation -- the ability usurp the mayor and the city council.

That just doesn't seem kosher to me. If the city council has oversight over MECA, then they need to assert some authority. I can guarantee that a private management company wouldn't have put up this sort of fuss, and the plans would probably already be underway for a ballpark in one of the parking lots.

I'd be very reluctant to put MECA in charge of the CWS.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  2:37:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
On May 9, 2000, the voters of the City of Omaha approved the Metropolitan Entertainment & Convention Authority (MECA) to manage the construction and operations of the new Qwest Center Omaha. MECA is a 501(c)(3), non-profit organization. Formal operations of MECA commenced on August 25, 2000, when the City approved a 99-year Lease and Development Agreement with the City of Omaha which allowed for MECA to construct and operate the facility. MECA's President/CEO, Roger Dixon and his staff report to a five person board of directors who are appointed by the Mayor and the Omaha City Council.

http://www.qwestcenter.com/default.asp?lnopt=9&sn1opt=1&sn2opt=1&sn3opt=1&bldgopt=3&month=2&year=2008&newsID=0

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  4:22:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:
On May 9, 2000, the voters of the City of Omaha approved the Metropolitan Entertainment & Convention Authority (MECA) to manage the construction and operations of the new Qwest Center Omaha. MECA is a 501(c)(3), non-profit organization. Formal operations of MECA commenced on August 25, 2000, when the City approved a 99-year Lease and Development Agreement with the City of Omaha which allowed for MECA to construct and operate the facility. MECA's President/CEO, Roger Dixon and his staff report to a five person board of directors who are appointed by the Mayor and the Omaha City Council.

http://www.qwestcenter.com/default.asp?lnopt=9&sn1opt=1&sn2opt=1&sn3opt=1&bldgopt=3&month=2&year=2008&newsID=0

I realize the mayor and city council don't want to be perceived as "strong arming" MECA, but it might be time to say "happy trails" to some of the members of that board...

I personally think it'd be nice to see a more diverse and representative board running and making policy for MECA.

Right now, the MECA Board looks like a bunch of Republican Party activists... and Omaha Federation of Labor President Terry Moore.

We voted to create MECA. I really think it'd be wise to have a board that is representative of this city -- not merely representative of the powerful "special interests" within Omaha.
Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  4:31:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The CC and Mayor rotate on who gets to appoint the next MECA board member.

If I remember, Fahey nominated Werner-Robinson and the CC nominated Kramer after Mike Green (I think) and someone else left MECA.

Essentially MECA is a business that the citizens have given the right to own/operate the QCO. Like any apartment lessee/lessor.

The problem I have is that if I rented an apartment, the owners could decide to put up a row of garages in the place I park my car without me having any say in the matter. They own the apartment, I rent it.

I do not see how MECA should operate any differently.

I also do not believe that MECA would have any control over the CWS, they would strictly manage the stadium. The control of the CWS is solely up to the NCAA and CWS, Inc. MECA would run the stadium and charge 'the CWS' to rent the stadium, much like Creighton and UNO do now with the arena.

I remember an OWH story or Fahey answer to a question that essentially stated that MECA preferred to run the stadium like they do now the QCO. They are managing it and are able to make money off of it (like a business) to pay for the expenses that would normally be incurred by any other arena. MECA would not want to have the new stadium set up like the Civic, where they are just the company who strictly manages and are paid a fee to do so (like the owner of a mall for example).

Fahey stated that MECA would have to give up more control and be more of a bystander when it comes to the finance side of any new stadium.

In my opinion Fahey has learned from the mistake that Daub made when he granted (through the voters) MECA the ability to keep money for future needs of the QCO. The problem being that the QCO, because of the MECA 'holdbacks', has not contributed one dime towards paying for itself at this point. That is why Fahey had to renegotiate the bonds to a interest only arrangement until 2011, when the taxpayers will take a hit as of now.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  4:39:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem with the City Council is that you have one member wearing "Save Rosenblatt" T-shirts at press conferences, standing in front of a guy waiving a "Recall-Fahey.com" sign. Another city councilman held a press conference last week to suggest that we hold off until 2025 to build a new stadium.

Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  4:39:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hackermav

Essentially MECA is a business that the citizens have given the right to own/operate the QCO. Like any apartment lessee/lessor.

Problem is: MECA doesn't own the apartment. We (citizens of Omaha) do and we never gave MECA the right to own it either.

This isn't at all like a landlord/tenant thing. This is a estate/caretaker thing. We own the Qwest and have hired MECA to look after it. They're supposed to work for us. Period.

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  4:43:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, the metaphor I wanted was tenant farming. MECA farms our land and gets to keep all of its profits save an amount they pay us for the privilege of farming our land. In the case of the QCO, the amount is zero.

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

hackermav
Minister of Antagonism

1039 Posts

Posted - 02/21/2008 :  7:23:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Problem is: MECA doesn't own the apartment. We (citizens of Omaha) do and we never gave MECA the right to own it either.

I agree. We need to check them.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 02/22/2008 :  08:15:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like how they keep saying, "The public is in favor of staying at Rosenblatt by 80% to 20%."

Uhhh..who are these people?

I'm also guessing, if you polled anybody (who didn't live in Deer Park), that if it was build downtown or lose the CWS..99% of them would say do it.

I hope these people are held accountable if the unthinkable happens.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000