Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  4:40:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We were going to go to the Celebrity Game as well but I was in the same boat, it was 100 degrees and had tickets for the HR Derby and All Star Game.

What a fantastic event overall.

Here a review on both event and Werner Park from Ballpark Digest:

http://ballparkdigest.com/2015/07/16/a-family-affair-all-stars-entertain-in-omaha/

Greg

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2015 :  07:48:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's always nice to see the positive reviews from the ballpark reviewers that have been everywhere.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2015 :  09:53:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I noticed when I was at WP last night they have a sign up for new area they are adding for 2016. It's a party patio and going up straight west of the Downdraught bar underneath the scoreboard. I think it's gravel there now. The picture makes it look like it's going to be real nice. I love the outfield area, downdraught and the berm. Will be a great addition.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2015 :  1:59:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Article with more details on the party patio. Love that it includes a fire pit:

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/party-patio-with-fire-pit-lounge-seating-in-the-works/article_1fd06383-e772-56fb-a2d4-ce57b06e2464.html
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  08:41:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Complimentary write up from Ballpark Digest:

http://ballparkdigest.com/2015/09/30/storm-chasers-unveil-2016-party-patio/
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  08:55:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
and stadium journey has Werner ranked #28 of the 160 MILB ballparks.

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/10-09-2014/840/milb-ballpark-rankings-2014/

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2015 :  10:49:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

and stadium journey has Werner ranked #28 of the 160 MILB ballparks.

http://www.stadiumjourney.com/news/10-09-2014/840/milb-ballpark-rankings-2014/

Had not seen this. Very interesting list to go through. Thanks for posting.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  10:54:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
#2 on best MILB towns:

https://smartasset.com/mortgage/best-minor-league-baseball-towns-2015
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/28/2015 :  1:12:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple articles on MECA, the Clink and TD.

For this one I think they are on to something. Since the CWS moved downtown it still does not have that "something" that we had at Rosenblatt. MECA seems to know that too. Not sure if this is the answer but at least they are trying to fix it:

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/thinking-outside-the-park-meca-considers-adding-a-ferris-wheel/article_1b339dd1-069d-51d6-b0fc-5f84c5b24a76.html

I think if the city could have a redo there is no way they'd do the Clink with MECA being so autonomous. They are more interested in what's good for their venues than the city as a whole. We saw that when they were fighting having the stadium on their property (until the city agreed to have the ballpark under their control). No way a minor league team would ever work under MECA's authority. I do agree with MECA on the need to add garages with the loss of the lots. I think it's interesting though they've identified the one to the north. When the city suggested that for the ballpark, MECA through a fit saying that was need for convention center expansion. Now they are going to have a garage there? Does that mean they will no longer view the convention center for possible expansion?

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/meca-omaha-at-odds-over-fate-of-north-downtown-s/article_b03d9cb6-1259-5896-9422-fcb69269682f.html

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2015 :  12:40:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
By the way, I'm putting my money on uniform changes for the Storm Chasers November 16th announcement.

I had some conversations with Storm Chasers brass this year and I asked about using the Omaha Royals scripted O hat as an alternate next year. The response I received was "stay tuned. we have some announcements coming in November that will further align us with the parent club in KC."

Logically speaking, I expect a complete uniform overhaul, but not a name change. Too much invested in the Storm Chasers name and branding now...but, I could see them going with a uniform style that plays off of the KC Royals design.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2015 :  1:29:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You know, I'd be OK with that. Stronger tie ins with KC makes sense. Would be ecstatic if the name stays.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2015 :  1:33:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A name change would be a terrible idea at this point. just horrible.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  08:59:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So many players last night on the field that came through Werner Park. How crazy that Christian Colon hit the World Series winner.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/02/2015 :  12:21:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I probably saw double digit games at Werner/Rosenblatt for 90% of that roster.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  06:55:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Greg,

I received the email yesterday about the announcement on November 16th. I did find the wording about "rededicating Omaha baseball to the 2015 World Series Champions" interesting. And, I'd go as far as to say that verbiage leaves the door open, at least a crack, for a name change.

I'm still not going to predict something that drastic though. I still say it would be a bad idea because of all the branding that has been done under the Storm Chasers name. Imagine all of the branding that would have to changed with a name change back to the Royals. Things like Ale Storm, Storm Front, Downdraught, Stir Up The Storm, Stormy, Chasing The Fun, etc. would all likely have to go. The cost of changing all the signage alone in Werner Park would be hefty. You'd also possibly alienate yourself from certain segments of the fanbase that bought in, literally, with hats, t-shirts, jerseys, jackets, etc. And, you separate yourself from the championships you won under that name.

No, I'm still mainly predicting a redesign of the uniforms; however, that verbiage or re-dedicating got me thinking. I'd put money that this is an announcement of an extention of the Omaha/Kansas City player development contract. A quick search confirmed that the current contract only runs through the 2016 season. Now would be the time for a renewal and it's not like there are any rumblings that anything would stop that from happening.

But again, I did say I'd leave the door open a crack for a name change. If that were to happen, I'd say it would probably have been dictated by the parent club as part of the contract renewal. Strangely, it seems the pendulum has swung a bit in minor league baseball. A few years ago, we were down to only a handful of teams using the parent clubs name; however, in the last 2 years we saw the LA Dodgers buy the OKC Redhawks and rename them the Dodgers. The Cubs also relocated their Single A team to South Bend because they wanted them named the Cubs. So, it's at least a possibility.

My money is on a developmental contract extension and uniform tweaks though. We will see though.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  07:46:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got the same email. Could go either way. Agreed on branding. The only thing that worries me about the name change is the Chasers have a different owner now. They could not change it sooner because they already had the Chasers name attached to the AAA All Star game. Will be interesting. I registered to go on the 16th.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  12:34:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did as well.

will be interesting.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  12:37:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess it just has the feel of sticking your finger to the wind to see what direction it's blowing if they did a name change now. You know part of the reason they wanted less affiliation with KC around 2010 was because it was seen as a moribund franchise locally. Now, it's the hot ticket. So, it makes sense to go back. What happens if the Royals go on another 20 year dry spell in the future? change the name again? I just don't like that. I'm a fan of building tradition, affiliation, brand identity. This hurts all of those things.

Again, if I was betting, I still don't think that's how it plays out though, but you have a good point on the ownership issue.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2015 :  5:21:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know another big reason at the time for switching from the Royals is they have to share the merchandise profits with KC if they use the Royals name. With Chasers or other original names they get to keep it all. I'm really hoping they keep the name and just adopt a look more like KC. That email wording though has me wondering.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2015 :  11:54:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Due to large response, the event has been moved to the banquet area of Ralston Arena. Looking forward to it.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  06:52:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

Greg,

I received the email yesterday about the announcement on November 16th. I did find the wording about "rededicating Omaha baseball to the 2015 World Series Champions" interesting. And, I'd go as far as to say that verbiage leaves the door open, at least a crack, for a name change.

I'm still not going to predict something that drastic though. I still say it would be a bad idea because of all the branding that has been done under the Storm Chasers name. Imagine all of the branding that would have to changed with a name change back to the Royals. Things like Ale Storm, Storm Front, Downdraught, Stir Up The Storm, Stormy, Chasing The Fun, etc. would all likely have to go. The cost of changing all the signage alone in Werner Park would be hefty. You'd also possibly alienate yourself from certain segments of the fanbase that bought in, literally, with hats, t-shirts, jerseys, jackets, etc. And, you separate yourself from the championships you won under that name.

No, I'm still mainly predicting a redesign of the uniforms; however, that verbiage or re-dedicating got me thinking. I'd put money that this is an announcement of an extention of the Omaha/Kansas City player development contract. A quick search confirmed that the current contract only runs through the 2016 season. Now would be the time for a renewal and it's not like there are any rumblings that anything would stop that from happening.

But again, I did say I'd leave the door open a crack for a name change. If that were to happen, I'd say it would probably have been dictated by the parent club as part of the contract renewal. Strangely, it seems the pendulum has swung a bit in minor league baseball. A few years ago, we were down to only a handful of teams using the parent clubs name; however, in the last 2 years we saw the LA Dodgers buy the OKC Redhawks and rename them the Dodgers. The Cubs also relocated their Single A team to South Bend because they wanted them named the Cubs. So, it's at least a possibility.

My money is on a developmental contract extension and uniform tweaks though. We will see though.

I hit it pretty close to the mark. No name change, but uniform changes and an extension of the player development contract with KC.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 11/17/2015 :  08:08:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah you nailed it. Was relieved when they announced the new name for the charity. Once they did that I figured the name was not changing. I really like the powder blue hats and jerseys.

Was very happy they signed another extension to remain KC's affiliate. There has been a lot of turnover lately (crazy that Colorado Springs and the Rockies separated).

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  2:45:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Beer and wine approved at McStadium for the general public at this year's CWS:

http://www.ncaa.com/news/baseball/article/2016-01-20/di-board-approves-waiver-alcohol-sales-baseball-softball
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2016 :  10:31:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do they sell beer at Frozen Four?
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1620 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2016 :  10:46:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That would be a huge no. heck the NCAA gets their undies in a bunch if they see any advertisements -- that's why they were so Mountain Dewed that boston was out of the rotation for years.

the nice thing is they actually split the semifinals this year, so plenty of time to go eat and drink before the second semi!

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2016 :  10:52:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quinn

quote:

That would be a huge no. heck the NCAA gets their undies in a bunch if they see any advertisements -- that's why they were so Mountain Dewed that boston was out of the rotation for years.

the nice thing is they actually split the semifinals this year, so plenty of time to go eat and drink before the second semi!

Quinn

Obviously this is a trial. If it goes OK with the CWS you will see it rolled out to the Frozen Four and others.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2016 :  10:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UNO continues their partnership with the Chasers and will again be playing some games at Werner Park this year:

4/6 vs Nebraska
4/20 vs K State
4/26 vs Air Force
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  3:52:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/meca-reports-a-solid-profit-of-million-for-fiscal-year/article_ed29167f-34c8-5f23-a00f-67391e6103f8.html

quote:
The baseball stadium reflected a net loss of $167,000 last year. MECA was responsible for $100,000 of that loss. The rest was covered by the city.

Fascinating.

Remember when our city leaders swore up and down that the ballpark would turn a profit with only the CWS as a tenant? They said anything else they might put in there from Creighton, concerts, football, or even minor league baseball would simply be gravy and the facility would be profitable based on only the 2 weeks of the CWS.

It's seeming more and more like that was a "rose colored glasses" projection.

And, barring MECA landing a significant tenant, the losses on the ballpark may only go up as the facility ages and becomes more costly to operate.
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2016 :  11:39:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That loss is a wash. The economic impact on the surrounding area and the civic benefits of having the CWS for 25+ more years far outweighs that paltry loss. If anybody believed that the stadium was going to turn a huge profit by itself, they were kidding themselves.

Now, that is not to say that they couldn't do better. MECA is run by a bunch of morons...The Red Sky Music Festival was a sideshow act from the start and they totally botched the outdoor hockey game against North Dakota a few years ago. With better management, I think it could be profitable.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2016 :  3:51:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have we ever heard how the numbers are working out in Sarpy County?

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000