Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2015 :  08:46:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't remember them having to run any shuttles in the past year or so.

On Ralston, that's where the parking is bad now. I'm also believing there are going to be issues with UNO. Parking already gets interesting in the Ak Sar Ben area, hopefully UNO is not banking on fans using spaces on the north side of Center.

Werner has not been anywhere near the money pit of Century Link Center......

Greg
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2015 :  10:24:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sound quality at Ralston is indeed horrendous. I went to am MMA fight last year and none of us could hear anything the announcer said from the first row of permanent seating. I don't know how they smurfed it up so badly.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2015 :  11:30:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

I can't remember them having to run any shuttles in the past year or so.

On Ralston, that's where the parking is bad now. I'm also believing there are going to be issues with UNO. Parking already gets interesting in the Ak Sar Ben area, hopefully UNO is not banking on fans using spaces on the north side of Center.

Werner has not been anywhere near the money pit of Century Link Center......

Greg

Yeah, parking has been fine there ever since they added the dirt lot on the North side. They have had that lot since either mid 2011 or 2012 though. I can't remember. I could be wrong on this, but I think they were granted access to the new lot pretty early on, but had to finally commit to buying it now as they weren't going to be given the land for free (not that I could have ever seen much of anything else popping up on that land because of its location).

And yes, parking is atrocious at Ralston now. I can't believe they built that hotel given how inconvenient it makes going to events at that facility. But, they probably had to considering their financial issues there. I just keep telling myself just 6 more basketball games left and I may never have reason to go there much again.

If UNO has 1,800 spots planned for a 7k arena, it's going to be an issue. I am afraid they are planning on people parking on city streets, in neighborhoods, and in the shopping center. AkSarBen Village better be planning now to have security posted at lots to make sure people aren't flooding their spaces and walking straight to the arena. I'm guessing UNO will eventually have to purchase more land for more parking or something. It will be another back end cost like the scoreboard at Werner, the north end seating at Qwest, or the extra parking lot at Werner.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2015 :  11:35:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BIGHUSKERMAV

The sound quality at Ralston is indeed horrendous. I went to am MMA fight last year and none of us could hear anything the announcer said from the first row of permanent seating. I don't know how they smurfed it up so badly.

Just knowing how things went when the Qwest Center was built, it's considered fluff. It's not, but designers and officials see a/v equipment as something you can live without...until you start having events at your building and see how it affects fan experience.

I also think, to an extent, it's tactical. Cut out all the stuff seen as non-essential just to get the thing built on time and near a budgetary number. Then, those in charge pat each other on the back for staying on budget and collect a big bonus knowing there will be more expenses in the future. Then, let people experience the shortcomings, and sell them on the idea that you have to spend more. Then, the fat cats just throw up their hands and open the pocket books to get the problem fixed. I mean, the building is built, whatcha gonna do?

Ralston is almost comical. Has anyone noticed how they've tacked up sound dampening panels literally everywhere in the arena. But, it's almost like they ran out of them, because on the Club side of the arena the panels go halfway up the wall and then just stop.

Like any of that is going to help anyway. There's only so much you can polish a turd.
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2015 :  2:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fluff, like not ordering a zamboni.
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2015 :  5:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I asked the Chasers and the video board will be a swap out with the current board ... nothing new added to right field ... neck twisting for third base line folks will continue (why I sit along the first base line)

DBF
@Hoffin205
"Hoff" is the nickname - "in205" just helps me find my seat
#CallMeMaverick ... but I might not answer
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2015 :  5:47:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's 6 of one a half dozen of the other. Yeah, you have to crane your neck sometimes sitting on the 3rd base side, but I'm more ok with it than the sun glare you can get in some 1b sections.

At least they added the mini scoreboard last year behind home plate. You no longer have to crane your neck to see balls and strikes. That was long overdue.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2015 :  09:13:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NoDo lost another retailer. GreenStreet Cycles space is now available next to Goodnights pizza.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2015 :  1:24:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OWH article with a Papillion official crediting Werner Park with the growth in single family housing in Papillion:

http://www.omaha.com/special_sections/outlook/housing-developments-are-growing-again-with-improved-economy/article_bf9753c4-89f1-55b1-911b-4cbf5dfc5ca7.html?_dc=208559127524.49512

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  12:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Martie Cordaro was on Chronicle this morning. Lots of good info. In addition to the new larger HD video board, Werner Park is adding a miniature golf course down the first base side this year.

The AAA All Star game is a 4 day event. The game itself will be televised nationally on the MLB Network.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  1:11:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The AAA All Star game will be on Wed 15 July??

DBF
@Hoffin205
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  3:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hoffin205

The AAA All Star game will be on Wed 15 July??

DBF
@Hoffin205

Yes the game is Wednesday, July 15.

The event (including Home Run Derby) runs July 12-15.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2015 :  4:19:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have four tickets for the AAA All Star Game locked up. They let me buy my two seats and they gave me a second chance to buy two more. Can't wait for it.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2015 :  09:25:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm on the waiting list.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2015 :  12:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I could be wrong, but I'd guess people on the waitlist should get some tickets offered to them. I can't wait for the all-star game.

I'm also interested in seeing how the new scoreboard will work and exactly where they are going to fit a mini golf course into the stadium.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2015 :  4:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The mini golf is supposed to be on the first base side of the ballpark. Don't know exactly where over there though. My boys are fired up about that. We hit it everytime in KC at Kauffman.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

KCMavsDad
Freshman Mav

225 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2015 :  12:56:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drove by Werner Park this morning and the old scoreboard is being torn down. Out with the old - in with the new...

"Drop the puck Morrison"
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/20/2015 :  4:00:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would love to see a side by side comparison. I know the new one will be significantly bigger, would be cool to be able to directly compare. Also sharper picture as well. I'm ready for the Champs to return (love their annual billboard on I80). Especially jacked for this year with what the Chasers have coming (the 2nd wave of KC prospects), the AAA All Star, and the success of KC last year.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2015 :  1:18:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just got my tickets for the AAA All Star Game and the Home Run Derby. If you are on the waiting list (like I was), they are calling those people now.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2015 :  12:56:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Might see another home run or two at the CWS this year.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/cws/altered-baseball-leading-to-more-homers-in-college-game/article_b64f719d-1c14-51d8-814f-9f8b63dbc569.html
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2015 :  6:10:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The new scoreboard at Werner is fantastic. Bigger and so clear. For clarity, it's now the best in the state. They also added mini golf down the 1st base side. I also saw where they added TV's or digital screens behind home plate with the lineups (used to be hand written).

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2015 :  6:52:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They also added pennants on the light poles in the outfield to commemorate all of the championships from both the Royals and Storm Chasers eras. It is a nice touch. Although, they are a bit hard to read from some areas of the ballpark.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/19/2015 :  10:16:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was also glad to see the AL Champs flag flying.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/30/2015 :  10:16:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
ran across this article from earlier in the year regarding Autozone Park in Memphis. It ties in to previous discussions on this board regarding the new norm of smaller ballparks at the minor league level and teams realizing larger is no longer better.

Memphis, previously one of the largest ballparks in minor league baseball removed over 3,000 seats over the offseason and reduced their overall capacity by 25%. They removed seats and created berm areas.

http://wreg.com/2015/01/06/6-million-in-renovations-underway-at-autozone-park/
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2015 :  10:47:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They were talking Werner on Grow Omaha today. With all of the home construction adjacent to the park, sounds like the commercial will be ramping up next.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2015 :  11:48:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Enjoyable read on the eve of the start of the AAA All Star Week festivities which is the biggest moment in franchise history. It's an interesting look at where we are and how we got here...

http://www.omaha.com/sports/shatel-stars-align-for-showcase-of-storm-chaser-success/article_5378575a-2837-11e5-bf72-d3fc19f54a1b.html
Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  5:00:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Little disappointed in the turn out for the All Star Celebrity Softball game on Sunday. I don't think they announced an attendance, but it couldn't have been over 500. We didn't go to the fan fest that began three hours before first pitch, but as I scanned the parking lots around 4PM they looked pretty empty. Crowds were probably hurt by the heat.

@Hoffin216
"Hoff" is the nickname - "in205" used to help me find my seat
Hummm, I wonder if I can change my user name to Hoffin216?
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  5:23:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Those celebrity softball games are always a tough draw even at the MLB level and they often get big time movie stars and major league hall of famers to participate, and I think it's packaged as part of the futures game at the MLB level as well. At least it was when we went to the 2012 all star game and home run derby (we skipped the sunday stuff). There was also a double header yesterday as well.

I'll put it this way: as much as I like the Chasers and all that they do, I didn't have the motivation to sit out in 100 degree heat after already having been there for 6 hours on Saturday and knowing I would be out there again Monday and Wednesday to watch local celebs play softball.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2015 :  5:23:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
All UNO fans should root for future Maverick Jack Kalina in the Home Run Derby tonight!
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2015 :  3:48:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night was fantastic. It was easily one of the best nights of live baseball I've ever experienced in the metro area. Kudos to the Storm Chasers for putting on a first class event from top to bottom. They nailed every aspect of this.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000