Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  4:44:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Chasers just set a new home stand attendance record.

The Omaha Storm Chasers have set another attendance record in 2014! We'd like to sincerely thank the 56,072 fans that walked through the Werner Park gates this homestand and set an all-time record in both total attendance and per-game average (7,009).

Greg

Oh c'mon, I'm sure some would argue there were only 253 people there for the entire homestand. The rest were unused giveaway tickets, concession workers, service animals counted 34 times each, and the players for each team.
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 08/14/2014 :  10:21:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have tickets to the StormChasers game tomorrow night, with the Switchfoot concert and fireworks to follow. Unfortunately, there is about a 60% chance of thunderstorms throughout the day. :(
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/15/2014 :  11:41:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah does not look good for their games today or tomorrow. We are thinking about going Sunday.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 08/16/2014 :  08:42:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Made it to my first game out there in a couple years I think. Very impressed as usual, such a nice place. Will be really nice once the area around it takes off a bit more.

Welcome to the Qwest Center, please leave all signs with references to Johnson or body parts at the door.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  10:39:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which is a bigger event, the CWS or the Little League World Series? I was thinking on many levels, visitors, attendance, publicity, TV ratings etc....

I know this year's ratings are on a high for LLWS but that event seems to be getting bigger every year. I know in previous years they've gone past 30k in attendance for games. They must put a ton in the outfield.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/22/2014 :  1:46:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good question. It's hard to say. In the overall national sports landscape, both are certainly niche events. They are niche events that have found a home that has benefited both sides immensely. Omaha has become synonymous with the CWS just like Williamsport has become synonymous with the LLWS. Both communities have embraced the event and made it their own. I don't think either event would play to this level without all of the trappings and tradition that these communities have brought to the events.

So, I think comparing the actual events is difficult in terms of which one is more important. They are two similar, yet very different sporting event experiences. However, in terms of importance to the overall sports landscape as well as their local host communities, I'd say they are about the same.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2014 :  2:58:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have any data to back my opinions up, but I suspect that the LLWS is slightly bigger than the CWS on a national perspective. I'll use the Jackie Robinson West story that enthralled the city of Chicago last week as an example.

Granted, people love their colleges, but they love the kids in their communities even more.

That being said, I always have thought that the LLWS hurts themselves by making the kids wear "region uniforms" instead of their regular uniforms. And I really hate how ESPN takes them down to a state, rather than their town or sponsoring organization.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2014 :  10:46:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just saw a picture of the inside of Bricktown Ballpark in OKC. Great park built in a very cool area of OKC. That being said, they are now covering seats inside the park (like the O Royals used to do, and the Oakland A's do now). It was built to hold about 14k and with the coverings, it will hold less.

I remember thinking when they built that, that it was too big for AAA.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2014 :  1:15:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It seems like that's the case around the PCL, and I'm guessing most of Minor League Baseball. Omaha is either going to finish just above or just below Memphis in the PCL in terms of attendance. They are both just under 5,700 in attendance right now, with Memphis slightly ahead. The difference is Memphis has a ballpark that seats over 14k.

There are very few teams at the AAA level that can justify stadiums over 10k in this day and age. In fact, there are only 3 teams in all of AAA that have average attendance numbers over 9k (Indy, Lehigh Valley, and Charlotte of the International League). Charlotte opened a brand new stadium this year, so that accounts for some inflation in their numbers. Not one PCL team is over 9k and the top 4 teams in the PCL Round Rock, Sacramento, Albuquerque, and El Paso are all warm weather markets which helps them pad their numbers in April and May when most of the cold weather teams are drawing 3k or less.

Some of these AAA stadiums that hold 15k or more were built in a different era. They were built when markets like Buffalo, Indianapolis, Sacramento, and Memphis were angling for MLB expansion franchises and thought they had a realistic shot at it. The thought was that proving they could fill a 15k stadium might line them up for an expansion franchise in the future. Some of the facilities were built in ways that could be expanded to MLB standards. Now that there is no more talk of MLB expansion, most of those markets realize they have a facilities that are 2 sizes too big and have basically no chance to consistently fill them given the minor league product. I'm sure most of them would probably prefer to have a smaller ballpark at this point, but are locked into their current facilities.

Honestly, I'd think that most AAA facilities built in the future will hover around 10k in total capacity. Even Charlotte, which some would consider a AAAA market that might be in fringe contention for a MLB team should one come available, built their ballpark at 10k. El Paso opened their new facility this year and it only holds 9,500 as well.

It's certainly a dynamic shift, but given that you can now see every MLB game from the comfort of your home for $175 a year with MLB extra innings or $120 with MLB.tv, there's less incentive to go out and support the minor league product. You don't get that factor of feeling like it's your only way to connect with your favorite franchise. That's also why the "family fun" factor gets pushed so heavily these days, pushing the baseball itself to the back burner a bit.

I think MILB will remain popular for decades to come, but the days of teams drawing 15k a game are probably gone forever.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/28/2014 :  1:27:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another thought:

I remember the debate of whether or not Werner Park had enough fixed seats. Some said that with only 6,500 fixed seats that it was closer to a AA ballpark than AAA.

Well, El Paso's new ballpark only has 7,200 fixed seats. Charlotte's has 8,800, and while that's larger, it's still nothing close to the mammoth facilities that were built in the past in places like Buffalo, Indy, Memphis, etc.

Certainly a change.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/10/2014 :  08:40:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's just the way stadium design is going at all levels of pro sports. NFL stadiums that have been built (the exception being Dallas)are going smaller, as are the new MLB stadiums (and renovations). They are pushing up the entertainment options and pushing down fixed seating. Lots of options out there, plus with large HD TV's, it's a whole new ballgame.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  6:44:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
104 pages.

Perhaps one of my finest accomplishments in life.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2014 :  10:47:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

104 pages.

Perhaps one of my finest accomplishments in life.

Go to Top of Page

Hoffin205
Senior Mav

USA
1263 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  12:08:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For all the marbles ... Werner Park 2:05PM ... gonna be late for the STH pick up :)

DBF
@Hoffin205
"Hoff" is the nickname - "in205" just helps me find my seat
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  12:39:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Same here...gonna bring the dog since they're having another bark in the park. Should be a good time! :)
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/14/2014 :  1:04:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hoping for a Chasers win today!
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/15/2014 :  07:05:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PCL Champions. First time Omaha has clinched a league title in this city since 1978. A truly historic day in Omaha baseball history. 3 of 4 PCL titles hasn't been done since the early 80's. The Storm Chasers have basically built a dynasty in Sarpy County.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/16/2014 :  10:50:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back To Back AAA National Champions. They've pretty much built a dynasty out in Sarpy County!
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/17/2014 :  08:22:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Incredible the run they've been on. We went to all three games at Werner for the PCL. This could continue. KC has another large wave of talent in the lower parts of their system that will start arriving in Omaha next year.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2014 :  10:11:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are the field goal posts up yet at TD?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2014 :  12:24:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes. Went up yesterday.

https://twitter.com/Husker_Mike/status/515184454927515648

(Apologies for the picture quality...you can only zoom so far before the picture breaks up...)

Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2014 :  3:57:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Digital zooms on phone cameras (and digital zooms in general) are awful...

---
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2014 :  5:46:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have the $15 grandstand (300 section and outfield) sold out already? They were not shown in the ad in today's paper. If that is the case, that's a real good sign for these guys.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  12:26:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

It's just the way stadium design is going at all levels of pro sports. NFL stadiums that have been built (the exception being Dallas)are going smaller, as are the new MLB stadiums (and renovations). They are pushing up the entertainment options and pushing down fixed seating. Lots of options out there, plus with large HD TV's, it's a whole new ballgame.

Greg

Not really...

SF's Levi's Stadium is slightly larger than Candlestick.
New Jersey's MetLife Stadium is larger than Giants Stadium.
Indianapolis' Lucas Oil Stadium is larger than the HoosierDome.
Minneapolis' new Vikings Stadium is larger than the MetroDome.
Arizona's University of Phoenix Stadium is larger than Sun Devil Stadium.

Baseball stadiums are arguably getting smaller, but almost all were moves from multi-purpose facilities that were built up for football. (Yankee Stadium did downsize from nearly 57k to 50k when it was rebuilt.)

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2014 :  12:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is little doubt that AAA stadiums are getting smaller though. Pretty much guarantee that ballparks the size of Memphis and Buffalo wouldn't get built today.

Memphis averaged just under 6k this year in a stadium that seats over 14k.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 01/13/2015 :  4:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New scoreboard approved for Werner:

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20150113&content_id=106318758&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t541&sid=t541

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  12:50:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading the World-Herald story, it's clear that a least one member Sarpy County board is now realizing that Werner Park is a money pit.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/sarpy-county-board-oks-bid-to-replace-werner-park-scoreboard/article_5679533f-fffc-5c60-97fe-5326fb8992dc.html

quote:
Sarpy County originally agreed to pay no more than $26 million on the project but has since surpassed that.
Board member Tom Richards, who voted against the bid Tuesday, said he disagrees with raising the cost of the stadium beyond a 25-year lease agreement with the Storm Chasers.
Im a big Storm Chasers fan, Richards said, but public money is public money and should be used for public purposes.
In addition to the new scoreboard, the county spent $1.15 million last year for a new parking lot at the ballpark. Then the county agreed to pay $35,500 to consultant Anthony James Partners of Virginia to help select the new scoreboard and oversee its installation.

Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  12:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Replacing a scoreboard after 4 years is pretty embarrassing...Maybe they should of went with a bigger vendor originally that wasn't as likely to go out of business.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  1:44:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To an extent, this happens all over the place, but having to replace it after 4 years is embarrassing. The original scoreboard at the Qwest Center was outdated before it was ever installed, and they went cheap on other a/v equipment like lenses, editing equipment, etc. To their credit, however, Qwest Center nursed that equipment through almost 10 years before replacing it unlike Werner Park.

Ralston arena is another one that cheaped out on a/v equipment. The sound quality in that place is horrendous. It's obvious they put no thought into the design of that stuff.

Unfortunately, when it comes to building a big project like this, the a/v stuff is considered "fluff" to an extent and is typically the first things to be pared down to get in under a budget because they know they can always replace it later. But, buying from a small time vendor that went out of business just to get something in on the cheap is really bad. To me, one of these highly paid consultants wasn't doing their job.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2015 :  1:55:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The thing that seemed worse to me than the scoreboard situation from that article was having to pay $1.5 million for the extra parking lot last year. That is something that comes off as almost willfully omitted from the original budget to the point where it almost seems underhanded.

I remarked back in 2011, before the park even opened, how the parking was insufficient. They debuted with something like 2,000 parking spots if I remember right. The number was you'd have to AVERAGE 4 people per car to make it work.

It was a disaster from the start. And, any consultant or architect worth anything had to have known it. They were running shuttles from Papio South that served almost no purpose but to anger people. The Thursday games became a cluster because you weren't getting families, you were getting 21 and up singles mainly. Many of which were driving alone. I knew of many people that got so frustrated that they simply turned around and went home. The ones that did stick it out didn't get in until the 3rd or 4th inning. Just a mess.

So, they had to throw in another $1.5 million on the back end. It just seems shady to me. It should have been part of the original deal, but that's how these things seem to go in terms of promising an initial price and then cramming in costs on the back end once it's built.

I am afraid the UNO arena could have similar issues to the point where additional land will have to be dedicated to parking or even building a parking garage. Everything I've read promises 1,875 parking spots for a 7,000 or 7,500 seat arena. This may be an issue. This is the exact same model as Werner Park. This averages out to 4 people per car. And, the number may get even higher when you figure that there may be a good hundred or so workers there at any time that will all probably be taking up a parking spot.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000