Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2014 :  7:48:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It wasn't clear there was 1/3 of that total, unless you were there and can say otherwise. You can't see the outfield berm in the photo you posted, you can't see the childrens playground, and you can't see the concourses.

Either way, it's also silly to say there were 91,260 at the Nebraska vs. Iowa game when there were a good 3-5k in no shows, but that's just the nature of the beast.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2014 :  9:37:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

It wasn't clear there was 1/3 of that total, unless you were there and can say otherwise. You can't see the outfield berm in the photo you posted, you can't see the childrens playground, and you can't see the concourses.

Berm: https://www.facebook.com/mpsfkidsnetwork/photos/a.275992299192128.1073741901.218083828316309/327347617389929/?type=1&permPage=1

I don't have a photo of the Merry Go Round. How many thousand fit on it?

Here's another perspective of the crowd: https://www.facebook.com/mpsfkidsnetwork/photos/a.275992299192128.1073741901.218083828316309/327347687389922/?type=1&permPage=1

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2014 :  06:52:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd also need to know exactly which point during the game each photo was taken. See, the other point you're failing to understand about these school days is the kids rarely stay for the entire game.

I was at one of these school days in Indianapolis this year. There was a solid 12k for a Monday morning game. At game time, the place was packed. You could barely find a seat. By the 7th inning, the place was 3/4 empty as an endless parade of school busses. picked each group up.

Your argument was that the stadium was 2/3 shy of the announced 7,000 in attendance....and, you're trying to prove said point by posting random facebook pictures taken at unknown times during the game. pictures that don't show the entire stadium at any given time. You can't see the playground, you can't see the concourses, you can't see the concession lines, you can't see the basketball court, you can't see the wiffle ball field, you can't see the team store, you can't see the team store, you can't see the misting machine...you know, all the places school children would be.

If you were there and you were estimating 2,500, I might believe you, but you have made your point clearly that you are morally opposed to ever setting foot in the facility. That's your business, but it becomes a bad argument on all levels to try to say the stadium was 2/3 off the announced attendance without having been there to confirm it.

It's the nature of minor league baseball these days. Kids are doing the other stuff offered in the stadium vs. watching the game. That's how it is. School groups leave early. That's the nature of the beast.

I still haven't seen anything to make me think there was less than 6k there over the course of that day.
Go to Top of Page

twiztid1
Sophomore Mav

288 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2014 :  07:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well the pictures were posted about 80 minutes into a three hour game.  That narrows it down a bit.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2014 :  09:18:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did not get to any of the Chasers games this weekend due to coaching my son's team at Keystone. I did have friends that went to Thursday Night's game and they said it was a good crowd, similar to a normal Thursday Night crowd. I can say I have been the last couple years during the CWS and the crowds were real (and to borrow from Seinfeld) and spectacular.

Mike-are you disputing the premise that people aren't going to Chaser's games during the CWS or the Wednesday game only?

When you talk about distributed tickets, is this similar to the CWS tickets that are distributed to all the youth teams that play in the tournaments in town this week like the Battle of Omaha?

Everyone plays the attendance game. When you say almost everyone uses paid attendance, the biggest draw in the state does not. Nebraska football counts pretty much any living body in the stadium in their attendance. They include players, concessionaires and ushers among others.

I think the irony of the whole thing is that the one game the Chasers played at home in the last week that did not draw up to par, was last night, when there was no CWS game.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2014 :  09:56:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I just have a problem with cherry picking a couple of photos to try to make statements about attendance, especially when one understands the nature of how the stadium operates and said pictures don't include the playground, concourses, team store, concession lines, basketball court, wiffle ball court, misting station, etc. You know, all the areas of the ballpark that kids want to be in. I've witnessed it many times where the seats at Werner aren't full. Yet, the stadium is hopping with people. It's just the nature of the beast. Also, Twizted pointed out those pictures were posted 80 minutes into the game. Fair enough, but without being able to read a scoreboard, we don't know that shot was from 80 minutes into the game. If it was first pitch, a number of busses could have still been unloading...and, having attended these games in the past the first 3 innings have huge lines at the concession stands, again, also keeping kids out of the seats.

We've established that everyone plays games with the attendance numbers. In another life, I worked Creighton games where they announced 16k, but had it confirmed by a MECA employee that only 12k tickets were scanned. It always seems to me that there's about a 25% pad to make up for the no shows, etc for every team. So, I'd have no problem accepting that the 7,524 announced was off. I'd probably accept something like 6k was probably closer to reality. However, Mike is saying they are padding the numbers by 2/3 because of his cherry picked photos. That, I will not accept. I will guarantee there were more than 2,500 there that day.

I get it. Mike has an axe to grind with the Omaha Storm Chasers. He's made that clear. It started with some perceived slight regarding how the Omaha Royals handled some ticket snafu years ago. It was so long ago, it may have even been in the George W. Bush years. And, his feelings about the organization have been cemented by what he seems to perceive shady business dealings in securing their move to the suburbs. He typically won't type the name Omaha Storm Chasers, instead using "metro area minor league baseball team" or something like that. He refers to Werner Park as a derogatory term of "Trailer Park". He admittedly has been boycotting the stadium, but that also makes opinions on the matter tough to take seriously.

Honestly, I see Mike as basically being guilty of the same tactics that he loves to accuse Dirk Chatelain of dealing in. You know, having an agenda and using faulty reasoning/statistics to push a skewed platform. No, Mike isn't an official media member writing for the states largest newspaper like Dirk, but it's the same basic tactics...and, considering he runs a personal blog, as well as writing for several other online sources which includes attending events as a credentialed media member it would be fair to say he qualifies as a pseudo media member. I think his standards should be higher. It just lacks integrity.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2014 :  10:03:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Speaking of our good friend Dirk:

http://www.omaha.com/sports/cws/chatelain-omaha-ncaa-may-have-to-zero-in-on-reconfiguring/article_12b45279-a927-5843-90a2-20a1792dd68a.html

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2014 :  12:30:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nouce, you are completely misreading my position.

The official attendance for last Wednesday was 7,524 out in Sarpy County. I'm sure that's accurate.

My argument is with this statement:
quote:
They had 7,000 people there the other day. That's a great turnout.

It's pretty clear from the photos I posted that there weren't 7,000 people there on Wednesday. You are right, I don't have the counts from the Merry Go Round, the Wiffle Ball field, the concession stands, or the bathrooms. But look at those pictures again, the place is well under 1/4 full.

Unless there were at least 5,000 people mulling around on the concourses, on the merry go round, and in the team store, the turnout last Wednesday was less - much less - than what you claimed.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2014 :  12:35:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

Nouce, you are completely misreading my position.

The official attendance for last Wednesday was 7,524 out in Sarpy County. I'm sure that's accurate.

My argument is with this statement:
quote:
They had 7,000 people there the other day. That's a great turnout.

It's pretty clear from the photos I posted that there weren't 7,000 people there on Wednesday. You are right, I don't have the counts from the Merry Go Round, the Wiffle Ball field, the concession stands, or the bathrooms. But look at those pictures again, the place is well under 1/4 full.

Unless there were at least 5,000 people mulling around on the concourses, on the merry go round, and in the team store, the turnout last Wednesday was less - much less - than what you claimed.

It's not clear...at all. you don't have pictures of the concourses, basketball court, misting stations, wiffleball field, playground, etc...ON A KIDS DAY. Again, I've been to many games there where this is the case. The playgrounds are full of kids. The stands, not so much. It's the nature of minor league baseball in 2014. Kids don't watch the games. They walk around the concourses to socialize, play on playgrounds, and hit wiffle balls. Right or wrong, but it doesn't mean the numbers are that far off.

How many games have you attended at Werner Park? Is it still zero? If that's the case, you have zero credibility on this. The agenda and spin just gets tiresome. It's sad. Unless you can provide an actual scanned ticket count, the argument is just bogus. Maybe you can see if the Chasers will give you one.

By your logic, I could post pictures as well and make assumptions. I mean, clearly Nebraska is having a whale of a time filling Memorial Stadium, right? The entire stadium must have been 20% empty on this day last year...

http://cdn0.sbnation.com/assets/3347909/Student_Section_3rd_Quarter.JPG

That's what the picture tells me....and pictures don't lie. No siree Bob!

Bottom line: You're just plain wrong...and everyone here can see it except you...but, you've got pictures!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2014 :  12:58:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...and, you seem to be drawing comparisons to the fact that the Storm Chasers were giving away tickets to a weekday morning game to the relative success or failure of the ballpark overall. You know, your "boondoggle in Sarpy" schtick. Yet, this is again more flawed logic. I'll lay it out for you...

EVERY MINOR LEAGUE TEAM IN THE COUNTRY GIVES AWAY TICKETS TO WEEKDAY MORNING GETAWAY DAY GAMES.

Those are always the lowest attended games because they are in the middle of the week. I'm sure Creighton basketball wouldn't do so hot for a random non conference game in the middle of the week at 11am.
So, because they know they can't get people to take the day off work for a random minor league game on a Wednesday, they give them to kids. pure and simple. I've been to these types of games in several other cities. The dynamic doesn't change.

It doesn't gain you any headway on your flawed "boondoggle in Sarpy" argument. It doesn't mean they are giving away that many tickets for other games. It's just more spin. I've been to a good 60 games out there, and outside of early season/early week games and morning games, the attendance is pretty solid.

spin, spin, spin. Do you ever get dizzy?
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2014 :  9:56:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

spin, spin, spin. Do you ever get dizzy?

Yes. When I'm reading your posts.

Going back to the photos, it should be clear that the stadium is somewhere around 1/3 full. Could be 1/4. Could be 2/5's. Doesn't matter the exact number, but it's clear that the number of people in the seats is well short of the announced attendance. Probably around 5,000. Could be less. But...it also could be more.

Now, you bring up the fact that I don't have pictures of the Merry Go Round, the Wiffle Ball field, the concession stands, the souveneir stand, and the bathrooms. So I've omitted some people. How many?

You tell me. How many people can be accommodated at the Merry Go Round or the Wiffle Ball field? How may people would be at the concession stands or the bathrooms? Think about that. Is that number really going to come anywhere near four digits, let alone 5,000?

And before you answer, let me remind you I'm a parent with a child in these programs. These school programs don't allow the kids to run free around the ballpark. They go to the bathrooms and concession stands in small groups, and then come straight back. They weren't allowed to roam the ballpark.

I didn't bring this topic up. You read that there were 7,000 people there last week. You thought you had some proof that I was wrong. Again... you brought it up.

Not me. You. And now, you are reduced to arguing that there were thousands of people riding the merry go round and drinking at the Downdraught on Daycare Day.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2014 :  10:38:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll repeat: You yourself have said you've never been to Werner park. You obviously don't know the dynamics of how the park functions. It's a pointless argument with you. I'll just say, I've attended these kids days at Rosenblatt, Werner, and Victory Field in Indianapolis. I have a pretty good idea of how they work as well. I wouldn't call your description at all accurate.

I went to Bark In The Park tonight. The announced attendance was 5,756. My guess leaving the stadium was that they'd announce around 6k. It looked like they had every bit of 5k and possibly more. Pretty good for a Monday night. Now, I'm sure some would argue they counted every man, woman, child, dog, ticket taker, and umpire 3 times to get to 5,756, but I can assure you that was not the case.

...and, guess what? I spent half the game walking around the ballpark. There were people milling around all over. The seats often looked empty, but the concourses were packed. Same as it always is out there. My biggest takeaway from tonight is that I can't help but admire how lively and vibrant the environment is out there. Just so much to do, see, and experience. it truly is an amazing community resource. The playground was full, the speed pitch area, the wiffle ball field, the basketball court...all of it was packed. Again, something you'd know nothing about.

You might want to consider going out and actually experiencing things in your community instead of hiding behind a keyboard spreading negative propaganda that is blatantly false. Just a thought. I feel comfortable in assigning praise and criticism towards both ballparks because I've attended numerous events in both of them. Your agenda lacks both credibility and integrity.
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2014 :  11:42:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Attendance at the CWS tonight was terrible. They announced 20,000, but I am willing to bet there were less than 17,000 in the seats. There were plenty of empty seats in the GA bleachers too.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2014 :  06:58:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know some want to call Werner Park a "boondoggle", but it sure doesn't seem like there are huge windfalls going on for all the businesses downtown because of that stadium either. Stores that are struggling, stores that don't even open but for 2 weeks a year, an old market that looks like a ghost town during the cws, etc.

It's easy to throw stones, and there's been alot of that going on in this thread, but I will say this: I never thought I'd see a day where any business owner located near the CWS would come out in public and flat out say that they wished it wasn't near their shop. Kind of shocking.

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/hansen-for-some-north-downtown-businesses-hoping-for-a-financial/article_981a4466-57ae-55ac-bac0-9ec1be2e5ff3.html

quote:
But it’s more of a bloop single, maybe even a weak grounder, for the businesses that aren’t ready-made to fit the College World Series. The kind of businesses — like a coffee shop — that north downtown needs if it wants to become a thriving Omaha neighborhood.

quote:
“We shut down the area for this two weeks a year,” McClellan told me. “All things considered, I would prefer if the College World Series just didn’t happen right here.”

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2014 :  07:48:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting article on impact of the CWS, not all bright in the area. The Baseball Village area is nice but even though it's in a permanent building, it's temporary, like the Lids Store. The North Downtown Zesto's is only a window:

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/hansen-for-some-north-downtown-businesses-hoping-for-a-financial/article_981a4466-57ae-55ac-bac0-9ec1be2e5ff3.html

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2014 :  10:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The theme of Sharp and Benning this morning has pretty much entirely been:

-What is wrong with the CWS?
-Why is attendance down?
-Why were there only 17k in attendance for a championship game on a great weather night last night?
-How can we make the fan experience better so there's more of a buzz to actually come into the stadium vs. just hanging around outside the ballpark?
-How can MECA make TD Ameritrade Park more fan friendly and less boring considering it's an uninteresting cookie cutter ballpark?
-How can we avoid tumbleweeds rolling through NoDo for the rest of the summer after the CWS ends this week?

Combine that with the OWH article this morning, and it's becoming pretty obvious there are some problems that need to be addressed. It's certainly not a lost cause. The CWS isn't going anywhere and it's still a big draw, but the picture isn't entirely positive for the city of Omaha, MECA, the NCAA, and the business owners up there...not nearly as positive as some would have hoped 4 years into the TD Ameritrade Park era.

I found a pair of tickets for well under face value today and a four buck parking pass. I'm going to do my civic duty tonight and attend my first CWS game this year.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2014 :  1:47:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Notice you didn't mention this, from yesterday's paper.

quote:
The Drafthouse Cinema and Entertainment Center was announced in September for the Pennant Place development next to Papillion’s Werner Park. At the time, Papillion officials said they had met with the developer and its partners but hadn’t received a development agreement or building permit.

The venue would have been the first business development at Werner Park.

Calabrese said there was “no specific reason” for the change of plans. He said the Papillion venue “is off the table” and the new location in La Vista near Giles Road and Interstate 80 is “just more beneficial for us.”

Trenton Magid, who was the co-listing agent for Pennant Place with Des Moines area commercial real estate firm 360 Real Estate Services, said while Alamo Drafthouse is good news for La Vista, it’s disappointing for the Werner Park area.

“We still need rooftops around that area, and we still need more office and entertainment-type things,” he said.

http://www.omaha.com/money/coming-to-la-vista-a-movie-theater-bar-and-restaurant/article_1fba45cc-d67e-5478-a295-7067346c80fe.html

So when you ask why I call it a "boondoggle", well, here you go.

Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2014 :  2:01:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't get what the big deal is with attendance being down. It has still been a great showing, averaging some 20,000 fans throughout the series. It can't be a sellout year in and year out. Sometimes, fan bases by up tickets and don't always get them re-sold when their teams lose. These are not also the most traveling fan bases, but not terrible none the less. The NCAA has still sold some 300,000 tickets for the 9th year in a row. Even if every ticket was $10 (Which they aren't), there's 3 million in ticket sales alone. I'm sure they are laughing all the way to the bank.

If attendance continues to slip year after year, then yeah, worry about it. But attendance fluctuates throughout the years.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/24/2014 :  2:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did see the news about the movie theater (which is still staying in Sarpy, I might add and only 5 minutes away). Honestly, I didn't mention it, because I thought it was pretty much old news. I'd been hearing for a couple of months that wasn't going to happen on 370. The development is certainly taking a while. It's unfortunate, but not unexpected according real estate types. Of course, once the housing development is in full swing and the school opens, the rest will follow.

I think most people have learned the hard way, both downtown and out west, that expecting a baseball stadium to carry business growth doesn't really work in and of itself. That's why pennant place is still a soybean field and NoDo has businesses that have shut down, others wishing the CWS wasn't there, and others that only open for two weeks a year.

I still believe in the overall value of having an entertainment option like the Storm Chasers in my part of town (without having to drive 20 miles downtown). I'd even be willing to pay more taxes for said entertainment, even though taxes haven't gone up as of yet because of the ballpark (which some certainly predicted). I have a car, if I really need to hit a restaurant or bar, I have no problem driving 10 minutes in any direction to get to one. It'll be nicer when we have those options, but for now, I can manage.

That certainly doesn't make the ballpark a "boondoggle". It's not like the Storm Chasers have left. It's not like the county is still paying on it and it's shuttered and in decay. That has certainly happened to minor league ballparks in certain cities. That's a boondoggle.

They are doing well out there, the crowds are lively and larger than almost any years I remember at the Rosenblatt era. It's turned out to be quite the community asset. There is the usual slate of 70+ minor league games; however, we've also gotten numerous high school baseball games including state tournament games, college games, and a few concerts.

Overall, outside of directly spurring the growth of bars and restaurants, I'd say it's lived up to everything I could have hoped for. I can't totally attribute the housing development to the ballpark itself, the lake out there plays into that as well, but I'm sure there will be a fair number of people who move out there because they want to be close to both the ballpark and the lake. Eventually, it may end up being the amazing entertainment district that Sarpy is hoping for, but it's certainly slower than expected.

It just doesn't make it a "boondoggle". The MAC is a boondoggle. Werner Park has been great. Of course, you wouldn't know about that. :)
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  09:57:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great blog post from the Baseball Buddha and his recent visit to Werner Park:

http://baseballbuddhablog.wordpress.com/2014/06/24/day-129-storm-chaser/
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/25/2014 :  12:27:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This quote from his piece struck me as hitting on stuff we've talked about here...

quote:
Martie admits that some of the ushers and interns turn into babysitters and that you never truly can tell how many people are in the stadium since so many are running around but he says the important thing is to know your demographic
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2014 :  1:19:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CWS ended up over 10% down per session. Not only did we have a shortage of HR's, but the combined batting average for the CWS was .219. Going to be very interesting the impact of the new baseball for next year.

Small crowd last night. Game 3 is always a tough one, in any year. Entertaining game though.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 06/27/2014 :  1:12:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Down 10%, but again it fluctuates year by year anyway. Plus, there was 19 the first two years at TD, and 6 the last two. What's the reason for that huge dropoff? Same bats, same park.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  09:13:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
8500 plus last night on national TV. Great crowd, too bad the Chasers did not play well. Great weather and it was cool to see them honor Jirschele. I don't know what the pics of the crowd look like from Millard Public Schools :) (unofficial photography of the Chasers), but the 8500 number was legit.

Was nice to see Colon have his first multi homer game of his career.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2014 :  11:06:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They had even more tonight. Sounds like it was around 9k this evening. It was a great night last night. Too bad the game didn't go better, but it was still fun.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  10:39:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Development:

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/development-starts-to-sprout-around-werner-park-though-it-s/article_5c3174e3-e736-5a02-acb0-a3e1bf3108db.html

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  12:02:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My biggest takeaways from that article are...

1. While the commercial development is taking longer than the developers and Kermit Brashear wanted, there's likely enough critical mass with the lake and the housing that things should happen relatively soon. It seems like Trenton Magid's more conservative timetable is more in line with reality on this.

2. However, even without the commercial development, Sarpy doesn't seem to be having any issues making the debt service payments on it. We aren't hearing about huge deficits like we have with the Ralston arena. From the aspect of property taxes not going up because of it, and the fact we aren't hearing about huge debt problems, I woulnd't call the project a boondoggle.

3. In any event, the Storm Chasers are doing well attendance wise despite the lack of commercial development.

Overall, I'd say the project can be called a success. They are building a decent development out that that long term will be a destination. It hasn't gone as quickly as they wanted and it can certainly be said that baseball in and of itself hasn't spurred the growth, but the idea of keeping the team local and providing entertainment options for Sarpy residents are quite valuable for the community as a whole.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  1:07:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

My biggest takeaways from that article are...

1. While the commercial development is taking longer than the developers and Kermit Brashear wanted, there's likely enough critical mass with the lake and the housing that things should happen relatively soon. It seems like Trenton Magid's more conservative timetable is more in line with reality on this.

2. However, even without the commercial development, Sarpy doesn't seem to be having any issues making the debt service payments on it. We aren't hearing about huge deficits like we have with the Ralston arena. From the aspect of property taxes not going up because of it, and the fact we aren't hearing about huge debt problems, I woulnd't call the project a boondoggle.

3. In any event, the Storm Chasers are doing well attendance wise despite the lack of commercial development.

Overall, I'd say the project can be called a success. They are building a decent development out that that long term will be a destination. It hasn't gone as quickly as they wanted and it can certainly be said that baseball in and of itself hasn't spurred the growth, but the idea of keeping the team local and providing entertainment options for Sarpy residents are quite valuable for the community as a whole.

I would add Martie Cordaro to the list of people who expected much more development out in BFE.

quote:
“Will we have some neighbors in year five? Absolutely we will. Are they the types of neighbors we would have hoped for? Probably not,” Cordaro said. “But we’re not in the position of picking and choosing. We’re here to be a great development partner. We’re going to work well with everyone.”

And the World-Herald really didn't dig into the bond situation, because by my math, Sarpy County is doing far worse than Ralston on the economics. According to the article, Sarpy took in $692,300 for the stadium. I don't know what the exact bond payments are, but amortizing a $26 million bond over 25 years at 4.5%, Sarpy owes over $1.7 million a year in debt service. So they've got to make up over $1 million from elsewhere in the budget.

The article says that they use the hotel tax revenue for it. Well, in 2010, that was forecast to be $350,000 a year. So Sarpy County is still likely around $600,000 a year short in paying the bills.

http://www.sarpy.com/countyboard/COMM11.pdf.pdf

They just aren't acknowledging it like Ralston did.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  3:42:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If everyone else is so wrong and you've got it figured out, do some hard hitting journalism....er blogging, and RIP THE LID OFF IT! You seem to be making quite a few guestimations.

If things are truly so much more dire than Ralston, as you are guestimating, than why hasn't that been reported by credible news sources. (bloggers don't count). Werner Park has 1 full year on Ralston arena and we aren't hearing anything about these dire situations that you like to suggest.

Just seems interesting. If there truly was a story there, and things were as bad as you seem to indicate, it would have come out by now. Yet, there has been story after story about Werner Park and how well it's working out for the Storm Chasers and not one story from a credible news source about problems in Sarpy as we've seen in Ralston.

My taxes haven't gone up. I can tell you that much and I live in Sarpy. I haven't seen any sort of reduction in city services because of the ballpark has failed, as you've suggested.

Just seems fishy that everything came out almost immediately on Ralston, but outside of one Biff The Blogger yelling from his corner of oooohspace that he has it figured out so much more clearly than the rest of the local media, no negative financials have been reported in regards to Werner Park.

You may be right. PROVE IT. If things are as bad as you say, you should be able to trace the money. You should be able to show where they've had to take out additional bonds. You should be able to show what city funds have been pilfered to pay for the ballpark.

I will say this though: please do a better job than your flawed and failed attempt to discredit the Storm Chasers attendance numbers. That was just embarrassing for you.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  4:10:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chasers just set a new home stand attendance record.

The Omaha Storm Chasers have set another attendance record in 2014! We'd like to sincerely thank the 56,072 fans that walked through the Werner Park gates this homestand and set an all-time record in both total attendance and per-game average (7,009).

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000