Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  12:32:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
been hearing all over that attendance is way down at the CWS this year. I think that pretty much confirms that there were reserved seat tickets being offered much later this year than in years past and likely up until a couple of weeks ago. Interesting.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/17/2014 :  1:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
1620 reported that going into today they were 13k down from last year.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2014 :  06:54:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Shatel has dubbed TD "Berumda Triangle Field."

I do wonder if the relatively boring on field product (no home runs in this CWS at all) plays a part in attendance being down roughly 3 fans per game. It is boring to watch, and I could see how some might not want to spend almost $40 on a reserved seat ticket to watch it.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/cws/shatel-winners-will-adjust-to-the-park-but-cws-product/article_2bd18cea-2edc-520b-b0d1-ab25ba429bc5.html
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2014 :  09:45:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The lack of homeruns is a killer. I love a great 3-2 pitchers battle as much as the next baseball purist, but not for every single game. I don't want to bring back the 21-14 games with 10 homers, but 3 homers in the entire CWS (last year) and none this year, is just plain boring. Last night's 15 inning "thriller" between Virginia and TCU wasn't exciting...it was a game artificially extended way longer than it needed to be.

I don't think the problem is exclusive to TDA...it may be the baseball (which is supposed to be changed next year). But in any event...this "deadball ear" for the NCAA is boring.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2014 :  10:11:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They did seem to have a very full stadium last night. We were there and it was full.

I will say it is amazing the amount of beer being sold on the club/suite level. You've got about 20% of the stadium with access to it. I think they need to open it up to everyone. Would love to see someone from the CWS explain how there can be that much available to 20% of the crowd and justify not selling it to everyone.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2014 :  12:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
People need to give the pitchers a little credit. Last night's game probably would have gone 15 innings at Rosenblatt if the game was tied at the end of nine innings. There were a lot of lazy fly balls (that weren't going out of Rosenblatt either) and ground balls.

Granted, the pitchers could challenge the hitters since it was going to take a monster blast to clear the fence, but the hitters weren't even hitting line drives.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2014 :  12:52:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Specifically...

quote:
According to Warren Nolan's site, the 2 teams that lead the NCAA in fewest runs allowed per game are TCU & Virginia.

And people want to blame the ballpark?

https://twitter.com/_robanderson/status/479293091552436224

No, it's the changes to the bats.

quote:
College Baseball by Year (per game per team)

'10: 6.98 runs, .94 HR

'11: 5.58, .52

'12: 5.38, .48

'13: 5.27, .42

'14 (thru 3/30): 5.14, .36

https://twitter.com/_robanderson/status/479301117982306304

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2014 :  2:03:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's worse at TD don't know how anyone could argue that. Yes the bats contributed but do you honestly think there would be no home runs out of the 'blatt yet?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2014 :  4:08:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, there's no way to spin this that it's only the bats. The bats play a huge part in it, there's no doubt about that, but I totally agree with Greg. There would certainly be at least a few homers hit out of Rosenblatt at this point. If you played these same 8 games that we've seen at the 2014 CWS at 10 different stadiums, I pretty much guarantee you'd get a few home runs at basically all of the ballparks. Some more than others, but TD might be the only one with zero home runs.

It becomes a mental thing. You hit the ball as hard and clean as you possibly can, only to see it die shy of the warning track and it gets into your head. Then, you start altering your game knowing that you can totally kill a ball and it stands zero chance of going out. It's a bad cycle for the players participating in this tournament.

I'll put it this way, I'm as big of a baseball fan as there is. I spend my summers visiting new major and minor league ballparks. I've attended a good 10 D-I college games this year between Haymarket, TD, and Boys Town. I appreciate the college game. I will also be seeing games in 6 different MLB parks this season and 4 Minor League ballparks including the 9 game package I purchase with the Storm Chasers. I'm kind of a baseball fanatic. Yet, with no teams that I follow in the CWS, the boring style of play, and the bland corporate venue, I have no motivation to spend the money to see a game in person. I never thought I'd say that, but if a hardcore baseball fan like myself is sitting this one out, I can certainly see why average fans have a problem with the style of play, and a few are choosing to vote with their wallets. I don't care how, but it needs to be fixed.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2014 :  4:36:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The OWH guys have been tweeting out offensive numbers from the last 5 years or so. Offense is down all around the game but takes a much bigger drop at TD.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/18/2014 :  6:21:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I also don't get is the "if you don't like small ball we're being treated to, you're probably not a real baseball fan," guy. That guy acts like he's somehow a disciple of baseball in it's purest form and all others are operating at a lower level. I've seen this sentiment around the web and it's totally misguided.

I have no problem with small ball. I can appreciate a well executed sacrifice bunt; however, there's a difference between choosing to employ that strategy and basically being forced to.

I can't imagine football fans would be ok with it if they suddenly decided to add weight to the ball to the point where almost no QB's in the game could throw the ball more than 15 yard. Only the strongest could muster a 20 yard pass, and even that was a rarity. I don't think arguments of "well, it's still football. focus on the running game and appreciate the short passing game," would fly.

Or, I don't think hockey fans would appreciate if they decided to make the ice smaller and decrease the size of the goal by 20% to the point where goal scoring became a rarity. The mantra of, "appreciate the speed and the hitting," wouldn't fly.

Home runs are an integral facet of the game of baseball. When you almost completely take away that threat, you fundamentally alter the dynamics of the game. Baseball is about the only sport where that would fly through totally artificial means like deadened bats and cavernous stadiums.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  08:05:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I definitely like small ball but this is pushing the limits.

Will be interesting to see what the new ball does for games next year.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  08:51:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I liked this from Shatel. I remember when everyone thought it was impossible for the O Royals to compete against the CWS even if they had their own stadium. They had 7,000 people there the other day. That's a great turnout. I've heard alot of out of towners who like visiting ballparks will specifically seek out Werner Park and plan a trip there in conjunction with their cws visit...

http://www.omaha.com/sports/chasers/shatel-chasers-show-there-s-room-for-two-when-going/article_ed6539f4-1f9f-53f6-934f-cc398d103af2.html
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  2:24:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do we explain the HR drop from '12 to '13 though? 10 down to 3 at CWS? Is it just players getting accustomed to playing small ball now? The leader in the ACC only has 11 home runs on the entire year.

I think the pitchers deserve some credit. I saw Creighton hit multiple home runs out of TD park this year. And there were three homers during the big ten tournament. There was a homerun on the first batter of the big ten.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  4:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CU will be interesting. The majority of their HR's at TD came from one player who is graduating.

The bats now in use are a big factor. TD and the CWS are even worse for offense. Part is how the park is situated (so part of the crowd can see Omaha's skyline). It is the same dimensions to the outfield as the 'blatt but the wind blows in instead of out. TD also has huge foul areas on both base sides.

The new ball next year I hope fixes part of the problem. It would be very very expensive to move in the fences at TD and not have it look bad.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  4:28:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
agreed. overall, the bats are an issue, the orientation of the field is an issue, the dimensions of the field are an issue (look how much smaller Werner is and it faces the right direction and is used by professional players often 5-10 years older and more seasoned than NCAA players). That's the overall big picture part of it.

Why it's worse this year than last? Well, we got some good pitching staffs this year. That's for certain, but also, we've had some extremely windy days this year. The kind of wind we rarely see. Riding my bike last night was a nightmare because of the wind. I haven't been down to TD for this series, but if the wind has been blowing in at those 30-45 mile gusts we were seeing over the last week, that's certainly a factor for this year compared to other seasons. Now, had that wind been blowing out instead of in this week, maybe it's a different story. But, it's still multiple factors.

Also, Pants, you may have seen CU hit multiple home runs out of TD this year, but it was still only something like 7 in 24 games if I just heard Rob Anderson correctly on 1620 the zone. I wouldn't point to that as an example of power hitting prowess.
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  6:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am not defending or going on the offense here, the numbers are just weird. And I was referring to the difference between 2012 and 2013. The wind definitely hurts at TD. No wind tonight though, let's see how many bombs they hit.

In all honesty, I would expect the new ball will add a little offense to the game as a whole, not just the CWS, and hopefully that can help out.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/19/2014 :  10:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rich Kaipust of the World-Herald reports that the FXFL has signed an agreement to play football this fall at TD Ameritrade Park.

https://twitter.com/RKaipustOWH/status/479824678476087297

They'll announce the first two teams tommorrow: Omaha... and Austin.

Yep, Nebraska vs. Texas.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  06:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I wonder how long this league will last. Hopefully longer than the UFL.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  08:52:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pants

I am not defending or going on the offense here, the numbers are just weird. And I was referring to the difference between 2012 and 2013. The wind definitely hurts at TD. No wind tonight though, let's see how many bombs they hit.

In all honesty, I would expect the new ball will add a little offense to the game as a whole, not just the CWS, and hopefully that can help out.

Also Pants, I know you mentioned CU hitting home runs in the Spring. I was thinking about this last night. I'm not an expert on the weather by any means. I don't claim to be a meteorologist, but as someone who bikes with some regularity, I do find that during the early to mid spring the wind tends to come out of the North a little more. In the late spring to summer, more often than not, the wind is coming out of the South. I only notice this because when I bike the keystone, I'm always coming from the South and the ride home is way easier earlier in the year when the wind is coming from the North.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  09:17:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

Rich Kaipust of the World-Herald reports that the FXFL has signed an agreement to play football this fall at TD Ameritrade Park.

https://twitter.com/RKaipustOWH/status/479824678476087297

They'll announce the first two teams tommorrow: Omaha... and Austin.

Yep, Nebraska vs. Texas.

Other than a follow on twitter, do we know why people assumed this thing was going to Werner Park?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  10:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think there was a little of an assumptive leap made on this. They did say they were going to target minor league baseball stadiums...and they were following the Omaha Storm Chasers on Twitter. And, they were saying they hoped to have about 6k in attendance which would be in Werner Parks wheelhouse. That's about all.

I honestly don't think Werner would be a good facility for minor league football. All of the seats are basically at field level. TD will give better views from the seats as there is an upper deck and the seating bowl has more rows and will give them the higher up vantage points necessary for football. Also, a football field at Werner would be a tight cramped fit. I know they hosted one soccer game there, but correct me if I'm wrong, the field wasn't even regulation for that game due to the size constraints. Maybe there's a way they could work it, but I don't know that I'd want to shell out money to watch semi pro football at Werner.

It will be interesting. Just like the 2nd season with the Nighthawks, they are putting themselves behind the eight ball with announcing a league they plan to have up and running in October in the middle of the summer. Not alot of time to get all the details finalized and possibly partner with the NFL, let alone get their marketing machine revved up. Hard to build a fanbase and get enough tickets sold in less than 4 months.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  12:30:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was the one who drew the conclusion this was going to the Trailer Park. Happily, I was wrong, because I believe it'll be more successful downtown.

I'm not so sure that the FXFL didn't first approach Sarpy County, though. In fact, I suspect the response was along the lines of "we'd be interested, but I must warn you, our field can't accomodate a regulation football field without bringing in a bulldozer."

They are definitely rushing this, but if they come in at a sprint and have an organization ready to hit the ground running, they can make it happen.

What killed the second season of the Nighthawks was pushing back the start of the season. That uncertainty set off everybody's alerts that this thing was in trouble.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  12:40:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

I liked this from Shatel. I remember when everyone thought it was impossible for the O Royals to compete against the CWS even if they had their own stadium. They had 7,000 people there the other day. That's a great turnout. I've heard alot of out of towners who like visiting ballparks will specifically seek out Werner Park and plan a trip there in conjunction with their cws visit...

http://www.omaha.com/sports/chasers/shatel-chasers-show-there-s-room-for-two-when-going/article_ed6539f4-1f9f-53f6-934f-cc398d103af2.html

That's a hil-a-rious spin. Did Shatel actually go that day?

My daughter was there, along with every kid in Millard's summer camp. And Elkhorn as well. They were giving away tickets like candy at a parade. Or zuccini in August.

https://www.facebook.com/mpsfkidsnetwork/photos/a.228144230643602.1073741828.218083828316309/327223537402337/?type=1&theater

And if 7,000 people were there, 5,000 of them came dressed as empty seats.

https://www.facebook.com/mpsfkidsnetwork/photos/pcb.327347700723254/327347607389930/?type=1&theater

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  1:13:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

My daughter was there, along with every kid in Millard's summer camp. And Elkhorn as well. They were giving away tickets like candy at a parade. Or zuccini in August.

https://www.facebook.com/mpsfkidsnetwork/photos/a.228144230643602.1073741828.218083828316309/327223537402337/?type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/mpsfkidsnetwork/photos/pcb.327347700723254/327347607389930/?type=1&theater

He just needed to wait a day. The Chasers had 6k last night.

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t541&t=g_box&gid=2014_06_19_albaaa_omaaaa_1

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/20/2014 :  10:39:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

quote:

quote:

http://www.milb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t541&t=g_box&gid=2014_06_19_albaaa_omaaaa_1

Greg

Did they?

They probably issued 7500 tickets for Wednesday. And they probably issued 6k+ tickets on Thursday. So I believe that as paid attendance.

Actual seats in use? Well, I think we've established that those numbers might be slightly inflated.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2014 :  07:37:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I wouldn't expect you to have much in the way of working knowledge about this since you admittedly don't go and as far as I understand have still never set foot in Werner Park. But, you can post photos of empty seats; however, the nature of Werner Park is that people are often up and walking around. The seats aren't full, but the concourses, bars, and playground always are. It's not something that someone who doesn't go there would understand.

BTW, I was at Thursday's game, and I'd say the 6k was close. Maybe a hair under that, but not that far off.

Oh yeah, and what's wrong with the Storm Chasers doing good work in the community and giving tickets away to school kids? Last time I checked, that was a good thing.

Maybe you should worry about the problems with "McStadium" vs. the "Trailer Park" you don't even go to. There are enough issues downtown between bad architecture, incorrect positioning, bad dimenions, lack of tenants, etc. to keep you busy for the next 5 years...but, that doesn't fit your agenda, does it?
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2014 :  07:39:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Greg

Did they?

They probably issued 7500 tickets for Wednesday. And they probably issued 6k+ tickets on Thursday. So I believe that as paid attendance.

Actual seats in use? Well, I think we've established that those numbers might be slightly inflated.

slightly inflated?

Kind of like Nebraska football under the Bo Bo the clown regime.

Whoops. probably not supposed to talk about that, but I went there. Just saying, I was at most of those games last year. My eyes were open. several thousand no shows for several games, especially the Iowa game and to a lesser extent the Illinois game.

Kind of a tangent, but the point is, everyone goes by paid attendance vs. actual. Nebraska, Creighton, UNO hockey, everyone.

So, again, I don't see a point here.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/21/2014 :  09:05:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Greg

Did they?

Not sure what you mean they issued 6k tickets for Thursday? I guess maybe give a breakout on that. Then explain how this is different from anyone else?

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/22/2014 :  4:11:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Not sure what you mean they issued 6k tickets for Thursday? I guess maybe give a breakout on that. Then explain how this is different from anyone else?

Greg

Yes, almost everybody uses paid attendance (i.e. number of tickets issued) as their attendance measure.

My point was that it's rather silly to claim there were 7500 fans in attendance on Wednesday, when it's clear that it was actually closer to a third of that total.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000