Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/18/2014 :  7:53:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A few weeks ago, they said they had sold over 4500 all-session tickets. Looking at the Ticketmaster site, it appears that there aren't many seats left between the dugouts. I suspect they are going to have some decent crowds this week.

And if Nebraska is playing on Saturday, it should draw well over 10,000, I'd think.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2014 :  1:22:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The World-Herald reports that 7,000 tickets have been sold so far for Wednesday's game, and NU expects another 2,000 to be sold.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/huskers-anticipate-fan-support-in-omaha/article_71775daa-5f13-5436-b3e9-b7058beecc6e.html

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  07:45:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like the crowds were great on the first day...

...with that being said, it sounds like MECA's complete and total mismanagement of this event continues. I wouldn't know. I never did buy the all session pass that I intended to buy because of MECA/Ticketmasters misrepresentation of the prices and my total inability to get in contact with someone that could answer my basic questions about their misrepresented prices. I decided to not give them over $120 for all session passes and reward their incompetence.

According to Sharp and Benning this morning, day one at TD Ameritrade Park was a complete and total debacle by MECA, including:

-media members missing parts of the game because they had to wait in long lines to get their credentials.
-only 2 ticket windows open causing huge lines and people missing good chunks of the game.
-only 2 concession stands open resulting in people standing in line for a hot dog for up to 3 innings.
-and, this is the worst of all, Sharp alluded to the stadium looking generally dirty and unkempt.

I've been saying for months that this event has been mismanaged. Wrong ticket prices advertised on websites, no real advertising for this event, etc...and now a total meltdown on day 1. MECA is lucky they were bailed out by a great turnout and a great comeback by Nebraska, because their handling of this event so far has just been sad...and totally unprofessional.
Go to Top of Page

krutov 9
All-Star Mav

Russia
2987 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  11:47:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A buddy of mine texted me the same things you wrote here.
I'm going down there today, but 2 concession stands open for NU game 1 is deplorable.

Reminds me of going to a new Haymarket eatery a few months back, and @ 615 on a Saturday night I ordered a chicken dish, and they said they were out of it..... So I went to another menu item, and guess what -- also out. After another wiff on my third choice I got up and asked "did you guys NOT expect any business on a Saturday night @ 6 pm??", and walked out the door.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  12:24:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

It sounds like the crowds were great on the first day...

...with that being said, it sounds like MECA's complete and total mismanagement of this event continues. I wouldn't know. I never did buy the all session pass that I intended to buy because of MECA/Ticketmasters misrepresentation of the prices and my total inability to get in contact with someone that could answer my basic questions about their misrepresented prices. I decided to not give them over $120 for all session passes and reward their incompetence.

According to Sharp and Benning this morning, day one at TD Ameritrade Park was a complete and total debacle by MECA, including:

-media members missing parts of the game because they had to wait in long lines to get their credentials.
-only 2 ticket windows open causing huge lines and people missing good chunks of the game.
-only 2 concession stands open resulting in people standing in line for a hot dog for up to 3 innings.
-and, this is the worst of all, Sharp alluded to the stadium looking generally dirty and unkempt.

I've been saying for months that this event has been mismanaged. Wrong ticket prices advertised on websites, no real advertising for this event, etc...and now a total meltdown on day 1. MECA is lucky they were bailed out by a great turnout and a great comeback by Nebraska, because their handling of this event so far has just been sad...and totally unprofessional.

Not to excuse MECA over the concession stand fiasco, but media members really have no excuse for showing up just before gametime and complaining about delays. I picked up my media pass earlier that morning; took me all of 5 minutes. They were available the day before as well. (Truth be told, they should have just done this at the media entrance...)

I also don't know about the ticket window situation, but at 9 am yesterday, there were at least a half dozen windows open. (The others were dedicated to will call plus handling team passes.) So they had staff at one point. Did they decide to close them up at lunch time? No excuse to do that for a 1 pm first pitch, if that's what they did...

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  12:33:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I haven't worked an event as a credentialed media member since college, but it sounds like this is not the norm and certainly outside of business as usual for this type of event. If every event was like this, and media didn't normally pick up their credentials relatively close to the event; however, based on the types of complaints we're seeing on twitter and 1620, it sounds like this is being badly run.

I can only speak to my own part of the fiasco with the false advertising on the ticket prices. That soured me on this event. I may go if NU makes it to Sunday, but I just couldn't reward MECA's incompetence by buying an all session pass. It's been a mess from the get go, and it sounds like yesterday was just the culmination of it all. Hopefully, they get their act together for the rest of the weekend.

The media thing doesn't affect the average fan, but they are the opinion makers. If they want to dog on meca or the event, that's not good for us. Inconveniencing regular fans that just want to hand you their money and come to your event is unforgivable, IMO. If you had to wait in line 3 innings to get a ticket and then 3 innings for a hot dog, maybe with kids, where is your motivation to plunk down any further money and attend another session this whole weekend? I wouldn't, had that been my experience yesterday.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  2:11:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MECA calling in reinforcements for today:

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/more-staff-on-hand-concession-stands-open-today-for-big/article_70aad726-e1d4-11e3-bfc6-0017a43b2370.html

quote:
Officials with the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority said they were not expecting a crowd of 10,400 to turn out for the first day of the tournament Wednesday. As a result, they had a limited number of ticket-takers and two concession stands open. That led to long lines, especially when more than 3,000 people lined up to buy tickets just before the afternoon Nebraska game.

MECA spokeswoman Kristi Andersen said that today the ballpark will open all of its concession stands on the infield side of the park and will have more ticket sellers on hand.

That being said, they were expecting 9,000 on Monday. They knew they had a decent crowd coming for the game, unless someone had the incompetent opinion that it was going to be 9,000 spread throughout the day. They should know that they were going to have those people in the afternoon.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/22/2014 :  2:37:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

MECA calling in reinforcements for today:

http://www.omaha.com/news/metro/more-staff-on-hand-concession-stands-open-today-for-big/article_70aad726-e1d4-11e3-bfc6-0017a43b2370.html

quote:
Officials with the Metropolitan Entertainment and Convention Authority said they were not expecting a crowd of 10,400 to turn out for the first day of the tournament Wednesday. As a result, they had a limited number of ticket-takers and two concession stands open. That led to long lines, especially when more than 3,000 people lined up to buy tickets just before the afternoon Nebraska game.

MECA spokeswoman Kristi Andersen said that today the ballpark will open all of its concession stands on the infield side of the park and will have more ticket sellers on hand.

That being said, they were expecting 9,000 on Monday. They knew they had a decent crowd coming for the game, unless someone had the incompetent opinion that it was going to be 9,000 spread throughout the day. They should know that they were going to have those people in the afternoon.

and there was much rejoicing throughout the land! Roger has smiled upon us!

But yeah, they should have known the crush of most of that 9k was going to be there for one game.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 05/26/2014 :  8:24:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

I think Target Field is laughable, TD will look better by comparison, but in reality it'll be a mess as well. They will likely have to give away about 15k tickets to make the place look full. We'll see. And, as I said, God help them if NU doesn't make it in 2014.

In any event, I'm glad Omaha landed the event no matter which venue got it. Like most baseball fans in the area, I'm likely to buy tickets to the NU games. For the rest of the event, I'll probably just stay home.

The Mo Valley Tourney last year was a terrible event. Even the championship game had about 7k there.

Ultimately, I think the B1G may learn quickly that you don't change the culture of your league just by booking the biggest venue you can find. They are still years away from anyone filling either Target or TD.

Well, 2 years, to be exact...

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/27/2014 :  10:32:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It was an impressive showing. I underestimated the overwhelming support of the bandwagon scenester Nebraska fans. As someone who has made the trek down to Haymarket many times over the years, the days of standing room only 9k crowds are long gone. Typically, for even the biggest games, NU is drawing under 5k. The masses haven't turned out like they did in the past for the annual NU vs. CU games. So, getting 10-20k for these games was surprising.

It's obvious that the fact that it was a postseason tournament with a championship on the line brought fans out. Quite a few people were hoping to see the program produce a championship in a major men's sport for the first time since 2005, which unfortunately didn't happen. NU fans are hungry for something, anything, from baseball, football, or basketball to help fill the dusty trophy case that's been neglected for going on a decade.

TD is going to get this back. It will be interesting to see if Omaha can sustain attendance levels like this or if it will dwindle a bit once the novelty wears off. And, of course, it'll be really interesting to see how it plays out if there's ever a year where NU goes out with a quick 0-2 in the tournament. If that ever happens, the last few games of the tournament will have very few people in the stands.

I'm glad it did well though. Depsite MECA's consistent bumbling and under promotion of the event, it was a great success.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  10:05:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
NU's support was building through out the year, despite some pretty rough weather. NU had their best crowds in years the final weekend.

The key was NU coming in strong, plus the comeback on Wednesday. Momentum was building. That led to the great crowds.

MECA failed both Wednesday and Saturday to plan accordingly. I was surprised that they got caught off guard so bad for Wednesday's crowd (they even acknowledged ahead of time they were closing in on 5k in all session sales). The tickets were reasonable but the feels at TD through ticketmaster were brutal. $10 for tickets but an additional $7 (70%) for the fee. This led to a huge walk up. I went to 3 of the 4 games but no way was I buying them on-line. They publicly apologized. Then they dropped the ball again on Sunday and were caught off guard by the crowd. I bought my tickets after the game Saturday, with thousands of others, yet MECA failed to react. Brutal.

Imagine if either MECA or the Big 10 had actually publicized this event. Then you actually might have got the additional "scenester" fans. There were no ads, no banners, nothing fan experience-wise outside the stadium. I did not see where you could even buy a t-shirt, sweatshirt, or anything for the event. I'm sure Lawlor's would have happily worked with the Big 10 and done that. The Dugout out did great business all weekend (the Lids store next to the 'Blatt did not bother to open, they are still CWS-only).

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  4:42:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see your point, and not to be an apologist for a corporation, but in all fairness, MECA does not promote events. They may have things on their website, but they only rent their facilities. It is up to the promoter or whoever is running the event (IE, Big Ten) to promote, set ticket prices, and sell the event. MECA only facilitates the client.

Not that they didn't have eff ups, but they will never "promote" in the marketing sense.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2014 :  4:59:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pants

I see your point, and not to be an apologist for a corporation, but in all fairness, MECA does not promote events. They may have things on their website, but they only rent their facilities. It is up to the promoter or whoever is running the event (IE, Big Ten) to promote, set ticket prices, and sell the event. MECA only facilitates the client.

Not that they didn't have eff ups, but they will never "promote" in the marketing sense.

I'm not sure this was a straight "rental" from MECA. Weren't they the ones that led the bid to host at TD, or who was, I did not think it was the Omaha Sports Commission? I know for Werner, it was Sarpy County, not the Chasers that bid to host it out there if they landed it. Part of the agreement in Sarpy is they can do that for so many events per year.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2014 :  1:13:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Article on more concerts for Century Link but TD continues to be a tough sell:

http://www.omaha.com/go/meca-look-for-more-concerts-at-centurylink-center-td-ameritrade/article_f6091191-2342-5e22-a65f-02586cf884e1.html

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  12:22:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pants

I believe the NU athletic department was in charge of most of the event. They did all of the game operations, and ran the tournament site. Obviously, MECA was in charge of stadium operations.

Martie Cordaro was involved with Sarpy County's bid to host the Big Ten tournament, and even threw in some sour grapes after they lost out, claiming that the Trailer Park was the "right sized" venue.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2014 :  12:30:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Article on more concerts for Century Link but TD continues to be a tough sell:

http://www.omaha.com/go/meca-look-for-more-concerts-at-centurylink-center-td-ameritrade/article_f6091191-2342-5e22-a65f-02586cf884e1.html

Greg

The concert setup that MECA employed for Red Sky makes little sense as a concert venue with the CenturyLink Center sitting across the street. The stage was set in short center field, so only the infield is available for seating. Also, you lose some of the grandstands on the baselines. Capacity was about 17,500, as I recall. Or basically, comparable to the climate controlled arena across the street.

It might work if you set the stage up against the outfield fence, making more seating viable and getting a crowd closer to 25k in there.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  09:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For concerts they definitely need to look at larger capacity, but the further you push the stage out, the worse the higher priced seats get in both the grandstand, club level and suites. I do agree if you are not going to have the capacity above the CLINK, why chance it? Unless you are incorporating a 2nd stage outside the arena, like a festival.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  09:52:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Info on Werner Park/Chasers game on July 17 going national on the CBS Sports Network.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140603&content_id=78012986&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t541&sid=t541

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  10:24:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Info on Werner Park/Chasers game on July 17 going national on the CBS Sports Network.

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20140603&content_id=78012986&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t541&sid=t541

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  2:39:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like that CBS sports has been showing these games. I've watched parts of the games in Fresno and Columbus. It's nice to see AAA get a little publicity. I honestly wish the MLB Network would show a few minor league day games during the week like they did when they first started.

The Chasers should have a nice crowd that night. It's Mike Jirschele bobblehead night and Thirsty Thursday.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2014 :  2:54:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My work is doing a little corporate outing there that night so it worked out for me.

Yeah, I'm surprised MLB network does not do more.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  12:35:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
MECA confirms that they are talking to the FXFL, a new developmental league that's planning to start this fall with six teams, playing on Wednesday nights.

http://www.omaha.com/sports/meca-talking-with-new-pro-league-fxfl-about-team-in/article_9d5b5b94-32c7-56e6-800e-1cc43988b513.html

The plan is similar to the UFL, except salaries would be lower and a relationship with the NFL is more critical. It sounds like the NFL is more open to this relationship.

Go to Top of Page

krutov 9
All-Star Mav

Russia
2987 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  12:46:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
CWS..... have ticket sales declined slightly ?
Are not all the reserved seats sold out?
I know that game day some become available @ 10 am, not talking about those...
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  3:33:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like how they have "experimental" in the name this time, so when the league inevitably folds, nobody can act surprised.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  3:37:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do feel like ticket sales for the CWS have declined a bit. I've never seen single game tickets available this long, or this much advertising for them. I'm getting emails all the time about "CWS single session tickets still available." It's a bit odd. I'm not sure what the deal is.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2014 :  3:58:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by krutov 9

CWS..... have ticket sales declined slightly ?
Are not all the reserved seats sold out?
I know that game day some become available @ 10 am, not talking about those...

According to the official CWS site, advance sales are sold out.

http://www.ncaa.com/championships/baseball/d1/cws-tickets-hospitality

quote:
Reserved tickets through the Advance Sale are sold out. Tickets for any “If necessary” games (Games 13, 14 and Finals 3) will be made available on game day and will only be available at the TD Ameritrade Park Omaha box office.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  06:46:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never really looked into buying any, but I can confirm I was getting emails up until a couple of weeks ago about buying single game tickets from the NCAA website. Either they weren't sold out, or they were and the NCAA was sending unnecessary spam.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  08:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got information as well saying reserve tickets were still available in the last two weeeks. There was also an ad, I want to say I saw it in the World Herald. I think it listed prices in the $30's. It also mentioned the ones that are released on game days.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2014 :  12:14:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You both may be right. They may have been selling them a couple of weeks ago, but they could be sold out now.

Or they've pulled them from the market, and will now sell them on the day of the game.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2014 :  3:40:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like they had quite the disturbance outside the stadium at the 'Blatt last night. They had to call the police to help their security get the place cleared. They shut down an hour and a half early.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000