Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

lynchicemav
Old Sage With Infrequent Posts

193 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  2:09:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And tomorrow is the 6th anniversary of the start of this thread!
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  5:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And you just pushed it over 100...

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/18/2013 :  7:30:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh where we've been.

I still like the fact we reached 100 pages the day after the Storm Chasers won their first AAA National Championship. Nice milestone.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2013 :  11:27:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah worked out pretty well.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2013 :  5:52:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like things might finally be moving for Penant place. As a resident of Sarpy County, I think this would be a pretty nice addition to the area.

One thing though, starting end of first quarter and opening end of summer makes very little sense on numerous levels. You'd think they'd want the place to open in the spring to take advantage of the baseball crowds and to capitalize on the summer movie season. Opening at the end of baseball season and the end of the blockbuster movie time seems to be a bad idea.

Either way, good to hear things are moving in the right direction.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130925/GO/130929123/1697#drafthouse-cinema-has-plans-for-screens-restaurant-by-werner-park
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  09:23:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah the grading for the housing development has been going on most of the summer. It will be interesting to see what the area looks like 5 years from now. The homes are supposed to be in the 400-500k range. The Drafthouse seems like a real good fit for the area with Werner Park.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  12:11:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everybody scoffed at me when I said it was going to take years for BFE to develop...

Why wait until next year? My guess is that this is still somewhat preliminary.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 09/26/2013 :  1:03:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, some said it might take 5-7 years for anything to happen out there. The ballpark opened in April of 2011. The first announcement is at roughly the 2.5 year mark with ground supposed to break at the 3 year mark. That's better than the doom and gloom esitmates of 5+ years for sure, but still slower than some would have liked.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  07:45:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

Everybody scoffed at me when I said it was going to take years for BFE to develop...

Why wait until next year? My guess is that this is still somewhat preliminary.

I don't think anyone said it was going to happen right away. You've continually pointed out that it hasn't happened. Well, now it has. All of the land immediately east of the stadium is now being graded (this is the part adjoining the free lot).

As we go forward, over the next five years I think you will continually see more and more of these projects underway.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 09/27/2013 :  12:27:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't know where else to put this, but I saw an article in the OWH about the Omaha Marathon. Apparently, the city of Omaha won't let the marathon finish *inside* of TDA because they are worried about damage to the field. Right now, the runners enter the stadium, run around the warning track and finish outside of the stadium.

I don't understand what their concerns are. The stadium isn't going to be used again for baseball until March of 2014....seems like plenty of time to repair the field. I'm sure the Omaha Nighthawks did much more damage to the field and nobody had a problem with them using it. The ice for the game last year probably didn't help matters either, but they got it ready to go for baseball just a few months later.

Lincoln has no problem letting many more runners finish inside of Memorial Stadium for the Lincoln marathon in May (albeit on an artificial surface)...no wonder the Lincoln marathon continues to kick the crap out of Omaha's.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2013 :  12:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like the Omaha Marathon organizers had lots of issues besides that.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130924/LIVEWELL02/130929249/1101

quote:
HITS Endurance, a national event-production company based in New York, purchased the rights to the Omaha Marathon earlier this year for an undisclosed amount. The Omaha race was the company's first running event.

Maybe this is MECA screwing things up again, as the organizers said...

quote:
The course will continue to feature TD Ameritrade Park, but “there's no way (park officials are) going to let us finish in there,” Wilson said, referring to concerns of damaging the field.

I doubt that's the case. I suspect the bigger issue is that the organizers didn't want to agree to some conditions MECA probably proposed.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  03:07:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's official, the Huskers play UNO at Werner Park on April 30.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  06:43:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
excellent!
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 10/15/2013 :  12:11:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good neutral site...almost half way between the two campuses.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 10/16/2013 :  10:51:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For google maps it's 19 minutes from UNO to Werner, 45 from UNL to Werner.

That being said, there is no neutral site when NU is involved. Even when NU plays CU minutes from CU's campus at McStadium, you get thousands and thousands of NU fans. If NU is decent to good it magnifies.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2013 :  10:02:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New ball. In 2015.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131105/CWS/131109231/1001#new-ball-aims-to-boost-offense-at-college-world-series
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  12:02:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still don't get this. We dial back the bats and less homeruns. So rather than approach that issue, we are just changing the ball to allow more?

I know it's more complicated than that be geeze, it's contradictory. We wanted less home runs...just not this few...
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2013 :  12:30:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Changing the bats was never about home runs, was about pitcher saftety. This ball won't change that.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 11/28/2013 :  2:38:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hat off to Martie and the continuing success of the Chasers. What a year for them:

http://www.milb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20131126&content_id=64226870&fext=.jsp&vkey=news_t541&sid=t541
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  3:59:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw that despite brutal attendance where you had 40,000 empty seats at each session, the Big 10 is going back to Target Field in 2015. College tourneys are brutal in big league parks. TD is too big for this as well but at least if NU gets rolling they will deliver crowds.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Pants
Junior Mav

596 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  03:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Note: In the article, coaches an players cited facilities as being a big reason as to why they chose to go back. I'm sure they'd like bigger crowds, but the amenities fields like Target and to an extent TD probably offer are a bi draw. Either way, I'm hoping they draw at TD.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2014 :  4:18:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was just thinking about this event. It's funny, but there has been very little talk of this around Omaha lately. I'm unsure how they expect to draw decent crowds when there doesn't seem to be any buzz starting for it, especially with college baseball starting this week.

I did a quick 5 minute web search for info on the event, and there's honestly very little outside of press releases from 2012 out there. I remember, maybe even from this thread, that tickets may have gone on sale at some point close to a 8 months ago; however, there is absolutely nothing on the B1G site or anywhere else that I could easily find that talks about the tournament schedule, prices, etc.

I'm sure we'll see more ads a little closer to the event, but right about now is the time you'd want to start to get people thinking about the event, and pushing all session passes. I'd think a website with session times and ticket package prices wouldn't be too much to ask. You can get billboards out there in a couple of months and then start pushing single game tickets at that time.

Honestly, I bet you could ask 10 random people on the street about the Big Ten Tournament and 7-8 of them would have no idea Omaha was hosting it this year. It just seems kind of weird, especially to the amount of buzz I remember months in advance of CU hosting the Mo Valley tournament here in 2011. I get that was during the inaugural year, but still. For a league that is trying to make waves in baseball...and trying to get decent crowds to venues that are 5 sizes to big for their event, I'd say their handling of this has been poor...and by poor I mean non-existant.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/14/2014 :  12:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know that you need to have everything announced now. Last week, some information started to filter out, and I think you'd want to start ticket sales in a month or so.

One of the things that they are still trying to work out is an arrangement where Nebraska would always play in the evening game during the first three days of the tournament.

If the ticket prices are comparable to what they charged at Target Field last year ($30 for all sessions), this will do very well.

Attendance was abysmal last year, but the players loved the experience of being treated like major leaguers and getting the chance to play in a stadium like that. That's why Nebraska holds the state championships in football at Memorial Stadium. They could easily find another stadium big enough to host it, but it wouldn't be the same environment.

Note what I'm saying there: environment is more than just the fans in the stands. It's part of it, of course, but it's not the same thing. And the Big Ten has determined that the environment in Minneapolis was better than playing in a minor league ballpark in Columbus or Indianapolis.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2014 :  3:57:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tickets go on sale Friday, with a presale already under way.

http://www.cornnation.com/2014/3/3/5466516/2014-big-ten-baseball-tournament-tickets-on-sale-Friday

5 day passes range in price from $20 to $50...

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  06:49:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...but in all of this, where is the game schedule? Hard to buy tickets for an event when you literaly have no idea when the games are going to be played.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  12:22:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, it's a 5 day tournament, and the first three days are round-robin play, so it's all day baseball - probably starting around 10 am each day.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  1:28:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess the point is that there's currently precious little information out there about this. It's a good start that they are beginning to sell all session passes. In fact, I anticipate buying a pair on Friday. Of course, I'm a baseball junkie and my goal is to possibly even take some time off work and make a full day out of a couple of these days, but there isn't even a tentative schedule saying what time each game starts on each day. I find that odd.

Now, I get that 95% of people that are going to this, could care less what time Purdue is playing Michigan St on a Thursday Morning. If they are buying tickets, it's going to simply be to guarantee themselves a decent seat for all of the Nebraska games. So, my concerns of wanting to see a game schedule so I can plan for time off work is pretty small in their eyes...but on the other hand, I'd venture a guess that quite a few casual sports fans who would like to attend a NU game likely don't even know this event is happening in Omaha this year. They made a big deal about it when it was first announced, but 2.5 months from the event, I'm really not seeing much of anything to generate buzz about it (and when you're trying to draw a good crowd for college baseball in an almost 30k venue, you need all the buzz you can get).

I'm just surprised there isn't a website for this at this point, and that I haven't seen any billboards popping up yet to try to raise awareness. I remember quite a bit more hype surrounding the MVC Tournament in 2011, honestly.

Right now, there is so little info out there, it almost makes little sense that they are selling all session passes. Outside of the general dates, you're basically buying blind unless you research last years tournament. What time are the games? How many games do you get? It just seems kind of strange to me.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2014 :  4:11:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
According to an email I received, there will be a "major announcement" coming from the Omaha Storm Chasers tomorrow at 10:00 AM.

I would put $50 dollars on it being an announcement of either the AAA all-star game or AAA Championship game being played at Werner Park in the next few years.

If so, exciting news for baseball fans in the area!
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2014 :  12:27:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YEP! It was the 2015 AAA All Star Game!! Great job Omaha Storm Chasers!!! I can't wait to go to this event.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/07/2014 :  3:36:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok. So, I think we can put to bed any notion that MECA/Omaha is handling this event correctly. I've now spoken to literally 4 different people between Ticketmaster and MECA. They aren't sure why the event page on ticketmaster.com shows $20 tickets. They aren't even sure if it's a misprint or not. I had one person with ticketmaster try to tell me those seats were obviously sold out. I explained the extreme unlikeliness of that scenario given the overall attendance of this tournament int he past, but then his supervisor said none of those seats have been sold and are likely only going to be available for single game sales.

I tried to call MECA and speak with someone in the ticket office. At first a somewhat snooty operator copped a little attitude and said "they don't take telephone orders, sir." I then explained that the website mentions $20 all session passes and she said, "no it doesn't. You must be thinking of single game prices." But, I was finally able to convince her that there are seperate prices for single game passes and the website, in fact, does mention $20 tickets. She finally relented and transferred me to a voicemail of a ticket office manager who has yet to call me back.

At this point, I've given up on $20 tickets that Mike on Corn Nation suggested. I do not believe they exist, even though there were $30 all session passes in Minneapolis last year. I guess MECA and the Big Ten just feel the need to gouge us a little more because that's just how MECA rolls.

...and, that's MECA to a tee. Terrible organization, terrible customer service, and supremely arrogant. I'll say this: unless these fabled $20 all session passes materialize (which can never be verified given there is no existing website or information out there for this event), MECA has lost my business on this event. I'm sitting this one out entirely or buying tickets on the secondary market.

Maybe, I'll just give more of my money to a quality operation like the Omaha Storm Chasers vs. this two bit operation they are running down on Mike Fahey Blvd.

Typical MECA. Just remember this: It's not just UNO Hockey fans that have to suffer these fools. Everyone who does business with these clowns (unless you're Creighton) puts up with the same nonsense with these clowns.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000