Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  6:58:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Way off topic, but isn't the Brandeis building still there?

This is idiotic. I will be physically sick for years if Omaha loses the CWS because these idiots are so myoptic that they can't look toward the future.
Go to Top of Page

Prime Rib
Junior Mav

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  08:43:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
You know, Boehm pulled this stunt a few years ago and it didn't work. I'd advise you of the old adage, if you've got nothing to say, don't say anything at all.

Hey, if Roger Dixon and other QCO higherups weren't lurking on here I'd say what it is I have to say. But since they are I can't under the confidentiality agreement. And I also don't mean to come off with the "I know something you don't know" attitude, because I really would like to tell all of you what I know, I just can't here.
Go to Top of Page

Mojo325is
McQueen...

Brazil
1654 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  09:00:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Prime Rib

quote:
You know, Boehm pulled this stunt a few years ago and it didn't work. I'd advise you of the old adage, if you've got nothing to say, don't say anything at all.

Hey, if Roger Dixon and other QCO higherups weren't lurking on here I'd say what it is I have to say. But since they are I can't under the confidentiality agreement. And I also don't mean to come off with the "I know something you don't know" attitude, because I really would like to tell all of you what I know, I just can't here.

You should learn to keep your mouth shut then.

If you've truly signed a confidentiality agreement, you could be fired for what you've already said.

------------

Trying to elude the Mickey Mouse Brigade
Go to Top of Page

WoohooHcky
Junior Mav

577 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  3:58:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They give ushers confidentiality agreements? Or enough information to warrant a confidentiality agreement?
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  7:13:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Prime Rib
Junior Mav

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  10:29:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright, alright, since you people are carrying on like pouting two year olds (and this information will likely become public knowledge in the coming weeks anyway) I'll tell you already. The city did a traffic and parking study during the events on 1/20 for a benchmark when/if the stadium is bulit. As a result of this study it was found that if QCO is in use at the same time the ballpark is (ex. ballgame, convention and concert all going on at once), parking and traffic, even with a parking garage attatched to the ballpark would become a giant clusterpuck. MECA asked about the possibility of adding another parking grage to QCO and the cities reaction was much laughing, followed by a no. So highly unlikely that unless counciltuckey builds the ballpark that it will be built down by the riverfront.
Go to Top of Page

Mojo325is
McQueen...

Brazil
1654 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  10:57:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alright, alright, since you people are carrying on like pouting two year olds (and this information will likely become public knowledge in the coming weeks anyway) I'll tell you already. The city did a traffic and parking study during the events on 1/20 for a benchmark when/if the stadium is bulit. As a result of this study it was found that if QCO is in use at the same time the ballpark is (ex. ballgame, convention and concert all going on at once), parking and traffic, even with a parking garage attatched to the ballpark would become a giant clusterpuck. MECA asked about the possibility of adding another parking grage to QCO and the cities reaction was much laughing, followed by a no. So highly unlikely that unless counciltuckey builds the ballpark that it will be built down by the riverfront.

Oh Christ, you pounded it into us that you knew all this deep, dark stuff and you're hiding behind a cloak of a parking study??

Give me a break.

------------

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  11:28:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BACK TO THE TOPIC AT HAND.....

Does anybody know how much support in the unicam this bill is getting? Has anybody notified the senators that the NCAA isn't bluffing? Seriously..why else would Feyhey just bypass discussion and go stright for the new stadium plan?

Dude is tight with his money (for the most part)...doesn't that give you a clue?

I wish I was wrong on this...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.huskerh8er.com (and don't forget to visit www.zebrahead.com/news)
Go to Top of Page

Mojo325is
McQueen...

Brazil
1654 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  11:33:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mojo325is

quote:

Oh Christ, you pounded it into us that you knew all this deep, dark stuff and you're hiding behind a cloak of a parking study??

Give me a break.

------------

Someone edited my post.

------------

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  11:43:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The city did a traffic and parking study during the events on 1/20 for a benchmark when/if the stadium is bulit. As a result of this study it was found that if QCO is in use at the same time the ballpark is (ex. ballgame, convention and concert all going on at once), parking and traffic, even with a parking garage attatched to the ballpark would become a giant clusterpuck.

Does anybody even think all three things could ever be going on simultaneously? The CWS will, in effect, shut down the Qwest Center for two weeks. But, for the most part, it already is. Hotels are jammed up so, guess what, no convention is coming during the CWS anyway.

As for concerts, there has never been a concert scheduled during the CWS.
http://www.qwestcenter.com/default.asp?lnopt=10&sn1opt=1&sn2opt=1&sn3opt=1&bldgopt=1&month=6&year=2005&newsID=0
http://www.qwestcenter.com/default.asp?lnopt=10&sn1opt=1&sn2opt=1&sn3opt=1&bldgopt=1&month=6&year=2006&newsID=0
http://www.qwestcenter.com/default.asp?lnopt=10&sn1opt=1&sn2opt=1&sn3opt=1&bldgopt=1&month=6&year=2007&newsID=0
Probably for the same reasons.

Now, are you going to argue that if you have 7,000 Royals fans at a ball game and 18,000 people at a concert, you might have a parking problem? Perhaps. But I'd argue that the likelihood of having a huge concert and a ball game on the same night isn't terribly high; it might only happen once or twice a year.

As for AJ's statement, I don't think that this bill has much of a shot in the unicameral. Last year, the city came to the legislature to ask for more money for the convention center and struggled to get it. I don't think the folks outside Omaha will be terribly interested in sending more money east.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  11:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm not sure this situation is even relevant. When do we have this situation now? As long as the current management scheme rules the QCO, I'm not sure we will ever have this problem.

I'm even less sure that the Omaha Bridal Fair is the best indication of anything (yes, I checked the QCO calendar).

AJ continues to be right. It boggles the mind that there are still people who think the NCAA is not serious about a new stadium.

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  4:35:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are the face of evil.

If I could sit here all day every day and type this over and over again...I would.

I can not stress this enough.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  09:15:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

They are the face of evil.

If I could sit here all day every day and type this over and over again...I would.

I can not stress this enough.

The NCAA wants its cookies. They need lots of our cash to buy their cookies. They are not going to make due with fewer cookies or cheaper cookies. They are going to put the pressure on Omaha's leadership to get the stadium downtown even if it forces us into B credit rating, messes up the sewer project, or leaves us with a traffic nightmare around the stadium. As long as they get their cookies, they are just fine. The sociopath Bill Clinton said, you say what you have to say. The NCAA does what it has to do. If we get a few bucks out of it, fine, but they are not going to have our best or even second best interests in mind. They will screw over Omaha and walk away at the first chance for more cookies.

We will be the ones to pick up the pieces. I, for one, have better things to do with my money than spend it on a baseball stadium that will be used two weeks a year.

Considering the real likelihood that any other city would want the CWS (after looking at the true costs of the event), I am not sure the NCAA is in all that strong of a bargaining position to be getting a new stadium without any of their money going into the project.

Any Major league team willing to leave their home field during the best time of the year for baseball for three weeks (two weeks of CWS and a week for set up and take down)? Any major league stadium willing to take down all their ads for two weeks? Any other city willing to be the NCAA's female dog for the duration of the contract? For some reason we are. I don't know that they would be able to find too many other places willing to.

They would have to go to a rotating set up like their other championships. Even then, I don't know that they would get the show they get from Rosenblatt.

If the NCAA wants a stadium, then let the NCAA cough up half. Lets see their money. If the NCAA had to participate in the cost of the facility in a substantial way, I would be more than willing to bet money that all of a sudden some minor changes to the Blatt would be just fine.
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  09:25:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The trouble is: there are other cities that want the CWS. Many other cities including, at minimum, Oklahoma City and Indianapolis. And the NCAA has visited these other cities with regard to their hosting the CWS, even if not officially. The CWS is Omaha's to lose, but if we don't build a new stadium to the NCAA's liking we will lose the CWS.

No, the NCAA isn't exactly evil. They are only looking out for their best interests. We can't fault them for that. However, if we don't want the CWS to be held in another city then we had better build their stadium. I must say that OKC seems likely, I've been to Bricktown Ballpark and it's a very nice facility in a very nice, albeit really fake, location.

I can't begin to explain how painful it will be to Omaha's psyche to lose this event. I've seen it too many times in other cities.

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

WoohooHcky
Junior Mav

577 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  10:22:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This horse is dead, can we please stop beating it?

There are plenty of other cities that are more then willing to host the CWS and already have either the stadium or the financing to do so, which is why the NCAA is putting the pressure on us. The NCAA will not have any part in financing a new stadium because they do not care if Omaha continues to host it or not. They just want a big fancy stadium so more people come, so they can get their portion of the ticket sales and merchandise, so if we can't build what they want, someone else will. Period.

AJ has already laid this out in his original post, and I'm surprised to see this has gone on for 15 pages.

Honestly, there really is no debate about this other then how to pay for the stadium and where to put it. That is, if Omaha wants to keep this event.

Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  11:19:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

Prime Rib
Junior Mav

USA
851 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  11:49:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I was wrong on the date, it was 1/19 they did the study with four events going at once.

1. Creighton BBall
2. Bridal fair
3. FNB party (which required half of lot D be sectioned off for vallet parking)
4. UNO Football banquet
Go to Top of Page

WoohooHcky
Junior Mav

577 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  12:04:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bridal fair was only on the 20th.
Go to Top of Page

MavEconomist
Junior Mav

Tonga
585 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  1:36:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And valet parking is the most obvious traffic culprit.

res ipsa loquitur
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  1:45:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigredmed

Any Major league team willing to leave their home field during the best time of the year for baseball for three weeks (two weeks of CWS and a week for set up and take down)? Any major league stadium willing to take down all their ads for two weeks? Any other city willing to be the NCAA's female dog for the duration of the contract? For some reason we are. I don't know that they would be able to find too many other places willing to.

New Orleans and Indianapolis have AAA stadiums that can be converted to 20,000+ in less than a day. And if you think it's real hard to throw a tarp over a billboard...well...then you're wrong. It's not. Trust me, I've done it.

I have absolutely no problem with people thinking the NCAA is out to screw the city. Of course they are. They've done it for three generations now.

The problem is...if/when they pull up the stakes and take their fun elsewhere...you will have zero right to complain about it. Why?

I say this once again..for about the 30th time: The NCAA does not care about how much the city bends over backwards. They don't care about the fans revolting in Omaha. They don't care about you. They don't care about me.

They care about money. And the SECOND they can figure out how to do it elsewhere, they will. I'm saying this because I've met the men who run this. I"ve seen them when the cameras are off.

TRUST ME on this one. I can't put it any more bluntly.

Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2008 :  08:54:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AJMav

They care about money. And the SECOND they can figure out how to do it elsewhere, they will. I'm saying this because I've met the men who run this. I"ve seen them when the cameras are off.

TRUST ME on this one. I can't put it any more bluntly.

I agree with you. This really isn't about whether the CWS is a net positive for Omaha. It is really about how much of a positive it is for the average Omaha taxpayer who is already looking at some serious bills for things that have to get done (and were on the bleeping books (in the case of the sewer project) since the mid 1950's).

In my opinion, the CWS is worth about $100 a year in added taxes for me. After that, I would rather see them go than pay more. Assume that is about what most people would be willing to see taxes go up. Assume that there are 200,000 tax payers. Thats $20 M. If we can get a deal for $20M, I will support keeping the CWS here. More than that? Its better to see it go and fix the pressing problems of the city.

Basically it just comes down to the relative value of the CWS compared to all of the other stuff going on that we have to cover. I would much rather have more public services in the western half of the city than have a new stadium. I would much rather have a better mass transit system, or the sewer issue fixed, or more cops, or more libraries, or better roads that don't turn into swiss cheese every winter.

While it is possible to have the CWS and have these things, if we have to drop our bond rating to do it, all of these things become harder to do. So if someone said that I could have the CWS and more mass transit for that $100 extra, I would be in favor of keeping the CWS. If someone said that to keep the CWS would mean $1000 extra or a drop in the bond rating in order to have the CWS and the extra cops, etc. I would, sadly, say good bye to the CWS.

Omaha is at a serious cross-roads. We can be like other cities and keep building toys for our own amusement, and ultimately face such daunting infrastructure problems that it becomes obvious to anyone that can move, that to stay is a silly and expensive error. Look at St Louis or Philly. Neither is that bad of a place, but the costs of running those cities have become so burdensome that its better to move out than stay.

IMHO, we need to nut up and address the public service issues that affect our whole city for more than 2 weeks a year before we start buying candy for the NCAA. If we can have both, great. If not, then time for them to go.
Go to Top of Page

MavRick
A Better Fan Than You

USA
-3935 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  08:03:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bigredmed

I would much rather have more public services in the western half of the city than have a new stadium. I would much rather have a better mass transit system, or the sewer issue fixed, or more cops, or more libraries, or better roads that don't turn into swiss cheese every winter.

I've said this before, but "the western half of the city" contributes more to our tax burden than it relieves. This is why residential developers have started paying all-too-low use fees for greenfield sprawl. Continue with BRM's line of thinking -- shine up the suburbs, after all, we MOVED out here -- and you wind up with Detroit. And by the way, if one insists on low-density housing development, as they do in the burbs, mass transit doesn't work. Think about it: High density housing -- Chicago, New York, San Francisco -- good transit. Low density housing -- LA, Phoenix, Dallas -- crappy transit. We can hardly blame the bus line for failing to reach Whispering Green Acre Park Fox Run Glen Wood when most out there would prefer to wait for the light at 132nd and Center, so they can enjoy the scenic vista of Wendy's for 14 minutes.

To suggest, as BRM does, that keeping the CWS (and, need I say it again, $30-$40MM of the economic impact it brings per year) has no economic development effect on the inner city is preposterous. To suggest it's just a $100MM bauble is demonstrably wrong. After all, we'd be much better off if the Union Pacific Shops were still there, what with the winos, the diesel fuel spills, and the weeds, rather than that silly Qwest Center. I mean, nobody wants to be there now, except six new hotels, a few new residential projects, an art-house theater, a couple of art collectives, the live music venue for Saddle Creek, and five or six new taverns. In five years. Tax-paying orphans. I mean, when we could have had a monorail to the Champions Club?

It's nice to speak high-mindedly about sewer separation, but that all evaporates the first time somebody calls and says "I'm the only house on 163rd Avenue Court Circle, AND NOBODY HAS PLOWED OUT HERE IN 4 HOURS!" The roads are tough to keep plowed and fixed because we have too many of them for the number of people who live here. It's tough not to lay that problem at the feet of folks who insist on living in new construction on streets that don't go anywhere. But no one raindrop thinks it is responsible for the flood, and that's the inevitable hot-blooded response we'll get to this post.

And yes, we can have the same debate about whether living in the suburbs gives you the same right to talk as everybody else. It does. I'm just saying if you're concerned about preventing the decay of the central city, you have a funny way of showing it.

"Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard." Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia Board of Education v. Barnette, Supreme Court of the United States (1943)
Go to Top of Page

Bigredmed
Senior Mav

1574 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2008 :  08:31:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MavRick
It's nice to speak high-mindedly about sewer separation, but that all evaporates the first time somebody calls and says "I'm the only house on 163rd Avenue Court Circle, AND NOBODY HAS PLOWED OUT HERE IN 4 HOURS!" The roads are tough to keep plowed and fixed because we have too many of them for the number of people who live here. It's tough not to lay that problem at the feet of folks who insist on living in new construction on streets that don't go anywhere. But no one raindrop thinks it is responsible for the flood, and that's the inevitable hot-blooded response we'll get to this post.

And yes, we can have the same debate about whether living in the suburbs gives you the same right to talk as everybody else. It does. I'm just saying if you're concerned about preventing the decay of the central city, you have a funny way of showing it.

"Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard." Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia Board of Education v. Barnette, Supreme Court of the United States (1943)

Hey, thanks for the ad hominem attack. Your signature line seems kind of out of place given your thinking here. Either we agree with you, or we are all "funny"?

The MAT system functionally ends at the Westroads. It has a couple of loop buses that occasionally go to 118th and Miracle Hills. Even if you lived in the center of the city, (120th), you would have a hard time catching a bus anywhere.

The Omaha Library system ends at 132nd and Center. Even though the city extends for 4 miles to the south and 8 miles to the west and 12 miles to the north. No effort has been made to collaborate with the schools to use their sites for libraries, no efforts have been made to collaborate with the YMCA's or other facilities to allow book mobiles to go out. No strip malls have had bays turned into mini libraries, nothing.

The sewer system repairs were surveyed by my dad and his crew back in 1956. A plan to do the repairs has been on the city docket every bleeping year since 1956 and every year, they keep getting pushed off. Now the city has the fed breathing down our neck and its only a matter of time before we have to do this. Just two differences, in 1956, it would have been paid for by the UP and the meat packing industry with little or no impact on the residential tax burden. Today, its going to cost more (everything does), but the industries that would have been taxed to pay for it, are replaced by the Qwest and by Metro. Now the whole nickel is on us.

If we have this kind of a problem, we can't be blowing $100 M for a ball park and another $30 M for a parking garage and still have a decent credit rating without taxing the crap out of the people living here. As soon as this bite occurs, anyone who can, will move out further contributing to your hated "urban sprawl".

Think about the development of Omaha and Millard before bussing versus after bussing.

Before bussing, Omaha had grown organically in basically concentric rings and was now into District 66. Millard had grown due to the Western Electric plant and the Oak Hills golf course. Both towns were basically growing in their own pace in a fairly orderly manner. Due to favorable tax rates,

Millard grew faster in the 1960s than Elkhorn, and attracted some people (like my mom) who wanted to live in a small town. So basically, it was the people who always had lived there, the plant workers and a smattering of people yearning to return to a small town.

After bussing, everyone who was cheesed at OPS moved west. The flood of students caused Millard Public schools to go from the fifth biggest school district in terms of land area to the third biggest in terms of students. Now, relocation services just drive people to the edge of the Millard school district and say start here and go west. Metro Omaha got pounded with people who simply wanted out of bussing. Anyone who could leave, did so.

I could see where Gretna or LaVista could be the next Millard. Tax the bleep out the people stuck in Omaha and they all start moving to LaVista.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  11:52:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Ricky" gets it in today's Shatel Online...

http://shatel.omaha.com/archive-stripped.php?u_post_date=2008-01-31

quote:
Could it be the fight over a downtown baseball stadium is not about parking lot C or D but a power play by the out-of-control MECA booster of substance?

Well, that's part of it. Ego and politics are always part of these stadium issues, aren't they? Doesn't everyone have to get taken care of? Doesn't everyone have to have some measure of satisfaction or feel like they contributed or feel like "they won"?

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 01/31/2008 :  11:56:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Heh...."Ricky".

Side note - How close are we to having the biggest thread of all time? Gotta be right up there with Krutov's Beer League Hockey Season thread.

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  09:19:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is a library under construction west of 144th....

Greg
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  11:51:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The O Royals have weighed in...check out this morning's OWH...

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10254334
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  1:28:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Two stadiums is probably the most expensive idea of the bunch. However, the Royals make a good point about where would they go if they rebuild Rosenblatt. (Hint: they leave and don't come back.)

I've been out of town, but I haven't heard anything about the hotels the NCAA wants and how much that's going to cost at Rosenblatt.

Go to Top of Page

mrkaline
Mav Scout in Indiana

Poland
1475 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2008 :  11:16:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it possible that keeping the CWS is not in the best interest of Omaha? Whether or not the NCAA is a money grubbing call girl is not the issue, the issue is that this event may have gotten too big and expensive for this city. Everything changes, and sometimes it is best for both parties. Omaha can build a new, smaller stadium for a long time partner (Royals), and the NCAA can take this event to a different city that can handle the size and scope of what they want it to grow into.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2008 :  10:11:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How much money are the Royals willing to contribute to this venture?

I think you have to find balance as a city.

College baseball is a second-tier NCAA sport (i.e. it isn't football or basketball). As such, Omaha is the perfect place to host it.

(If the NCAA continues awarding NCAA hockey regionals to Worcester, MA, it shows that you don't have to have the greatest city to host championship events).

All of this public debate we are seeing over the stadium is because Mayor Fahey wants a 20-year deal to secure his legacy.

No one knows what it'll take to get a 20-year deal, and no one knows if that is realistic in the first place. The NCAA (to the best of my knowledge) hasn't indicated that they are willing to give that sort of deal.

Of course the NCAA is going to give their "wish list" for a stadium. Who wouldn't?

I want Omaha to find the situation that keeps costs down and keeps the NCAA tournament here as long as possible.

I still contend that the NCAA isn't going to want to surrender too much of their future bargaining power. Twenty years is a long time -- and if you're an entity like the NCAA, you're going to want to maintain a certain amount of leverage for future negotiations.

I'd imagine that any deal would be something like 10 years -- with automatic 5-year rollovers for the following decade if the city meets the continuing demands of the NCAA.

Those demands could include things like increased monetary guarantees from the city -- and future permanent-seating expansion at the facility.

Other than a smaller capacity, we are going to build what is essentially a little "major league" ballpark for $140 million (or whatever the final total is going to be). And it will be beautiful, to be sure.

No other city in North America would do that for the CWS. So I don't think our commitment can be questioned, in this instance.

The question is whether or not we can accrue enough money from events at the facility to pay for it.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000