Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 107

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  6:35:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For many years now, I have tried to warn you. I've told you that you have absolutely NO IDEA what kind of scum you are dealing with in the form of the NCAA and the billions of corporate dollars that are behind them.

I'm sure you mean well...but I want you to listen to me for one..final..time.

Are you ready?

If you do not build a new stadium...be it now or in the next few years..you will lose the CWS.

Period.

What the **** part about this is so difficult to understand? You're not dealing with the Boy Scouts or the Lions Club here. You're dealing with a corporation with the GDP the size of France, who pays absolutely no taxes...and will flick your dumb ass off the side of their sleeve as if you were nothing.

I'm telling you...nay...I'm begging you.

If you want the CWS to stay in Omaha...stop this idiotic campaign toward something you have absolutely no insight into. This is not comparable to where you should plant that new pear tree in your front yard. This is cut and dry.

Build it now..build it in a few years.

If you don't they will leave.

I'm not going to tell you again.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
www.huskerh8er.com (and don't forget to visit www.zebrahead.com/news)

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  7:13:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're wrong and you're right.

If the NCAA says remodel Rosenblatt, you're flat out wrong.

If the NCAA says build a new stadium, you're flat our right.
Go to Top of Page

BIGHUSKERMAV
Senior Mav

1631 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  7:14:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed 100%. These are probably the same dimwits that voted against building the Qwest Center. If a new stadium is built, I guarantee these idiots will be out there remarking about how great it is. They're the type that need to be female dogslapped by reality before they "get it." Somebody should start a counter-campaign that calls these people out for what they are.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  7:57:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Think about that for one second.

WHY WHY WHY would the NCAA EVER EVER EVER EVER want to "remodel" Rosenblatt? Think about that. Would they rather "remodel" or build a new stadium right next to the luxury hotels, with 5x as many suites so they could sell them to corporations for big $$$?

Do you honestly...in your sound state of mind think if given the choice, the NCAA would choose sentimental over profitable?

Seriously...

Wake up.

PS - And even if they did want to remodel, who's to say they won't threaten to walk again the second the new contract is up? I guarantee it would be soon, because the second Omaha says, "We're going to remodel...Indianapolis or some other town is going to say.."We'll build a brand new one".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  8:14:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apparently the NCAA is considering it, because they have not come out and said yet that they demand a new ballpark.

I'm not saying there are any reasons they would take that route or will, all I'm saying is let's do what the NCAA says, and so far they haven't said build a new one.

We'll end up with something like a 15 year contract out of this, so if after 15 years the NCAA says build a new one. I really don't care what they say, it brings in so much money I say do it.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  10:11:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I appreciate and understand your opinion.

I don't know much...but I do know the NCAA will screw this city over faster than look at ya. TRUST ME...build the new stadium. Don't give them an opportunity to hose us.

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/19/2007 :  10:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the NCAA has sent our city fathers some subtle, yet very strong indications they want a new stadium. The North Downtown stadium for the Royals was DOA for months, and the City was concentrating on what the NCAA wanted. Suddenly in May, things changed because the wish list from the NCAA had grown too large to be feasible at Rosenblatt.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  08:23:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's exactly correct.

I'm sure what happened was...the NCAA saw that the door was open for a new stadium. New stadiums mean of course HUGE new possibilities of revenue. Once they see that the City will swing for that....I'm sure you're correct in that they started to drop very big hints.

Mike Fehey has NEVER been accused of throwing money around. The guy is tighter than than anything when it comes to money. He closes LIBRARIES to save money.

The fact that he's suddenly pushing the new stadium should tell you all you need to know.

Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1723 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  09:48:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Save da' Blatt people are out of touch. New statium or the CWS is GONE! Not time to be sentimental over the past, create new memories in a new stadium.

"You can't spell War without W!
Serving it up for 4 + years!"

Steve Coppard
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  09:55:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As much as I dislike the CWS in many ways..I would miss Rosenblatt too. I worked there for years, and I even met my wife there.

But facts are facts. If you want the CWS...you have to be proactive.

Trying to stall/argue the process costs the city time it doesn't have.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  11:50:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it is a dumb idea to put a new stadium in a Qwest Center parking lot (which is what the current proposal is). I think a new stadium -- in concept -- is fine, but let's not cut out downtown parking (which is necessary for the event) to do it.

Let's also not make it a total "nightmare" for people who need to go to the airport during the week of the CWS. I don't think it is the most "brilliant" plan to create gridlock on the main artery that Omahans use to get to-and-from Eppley. If you put the CWS there, that is what will inevitably happen.

BTW...does anyone have the link to the Kevin Costner ad...I'd like to see it...
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  12:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There is more than one way to the airport..even from downtown. The North route is often faster during the day. Sure you have to dodge bullets and all..but what are the odds they'll actually hit you?

I felt bad watching the Costner ad. He has no idea why he's doing that.

Go to Top of Page

Mojo325is
McQueen...

Brazil
1654 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  12:31:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Costner looks stoned in the video.

------------

Trying to elude the Mickey Mouse Brigade
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  12:45:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a link anywhere?
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  12:54:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://kfab.com/cc-common/news/sections/newsarticle.html?feed=159377&article=2658395

Putting the ballpark north of the Qwest Center is a great move IMHO. It encourages further redevelopment north of Cuming. It provides quite a sight for teams and fans coming in from the airport. AJ nailed the airport access issue... take the North Freeway and bypass the whole area.

As for whether there is enough parking around the Qwest Center, I have one solution: more parking garages.

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  1:08:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have no problem putting it in NoDo...I just don't think the proposed spot is the best place for it.

And yes, you can go north to the airport and bypass the whole thing, but you know how people are...

The production values on the Costner ad aren't that great, but you have to give the grassroots folks credit.

It'll be interesting to see what happens. I know that a number of people have said that it'd take a facility with 20,000 to 30,000 permanent seats to appeal to the NCAA (rather than having 9,000 permanent seats with temp seats trucked in for the event.) I can understand the arguments that say it might be a wise idea to "gut" Rosenblatt underneath and build new concourse, lockerrooms and press box area.

Of course, the city and developers are drooling over the prospect of "faster" development in NoDo (and the city has to be excited about the potential for increased parking revenue in the various lots and garages they already own downtown (plus the ones that'll inevitably be built).

I'd rather see the ballpark built on the north side of Cuming somewhere (there's an old MasterCraft furniture plant that has been abandoned for quite sometime that could be a perfect area for it.)
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  1:10:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fahey comes out and says it... Rosenblatt is obsolete for the CWS. Either you build a new stadium where Rosenblatt currently sits, or build a new stadium downtown.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10137252

quote:
Rosenblatt Stadium doesn't need a face-lift it needs a total-body makeover.

That's the word from Mayor Mike Fahey, who spoke to a group of south Omaha business leaders this morning. Anything short of a rebuild would not satisfy the majority of the items on the NCAA's stadium wish list, Fahey said.

For the first time today, the Mayor's Office stated publicly that the 60-year-old stadium would need to be razed and rebuilt if the city were to secure a long-term contract with the NCAA to host the College World Series there.

quote:
Fahey said he had been told that it would be possible to tear down and rebuild Rosenblatt within 11 months, so there would be no interruption to the CWS.

A new downtown ballpark could satisfy more of the NCAA's requests than a rebuilt Rosenblatt, such as having hotels nearby; thus, that option makes more sense, Fahey said.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10137252

Go to Top of Page

CaseyMav

Botswana
2337 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  1:17:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Fahey said he had been told that it would be possible to tear down and rebuild Rosenblatt within 11 months, so there would be no interruption to the CWS.

Not that anyone gives a rat's ass, but where do the Royals play during that time? Demolish and build a new stadium in 11 months? Yeah, right.

---
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  1:27:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CaseyMav

Not that anyone gives a rat's ass, but where do the Royals play during that time? Demolish and build a new stadium in 11 months? Yeah, right.

For starters, you aren't trying to rebuild the field itself, just the stadium around it. Also, if you put enough workers on it and give your construction companies enough of an incentive, 11 months might be doable. They built two separate 4 mile bridges along Dodge street in 2 years.

I've seen some pretty impressive rebuilding projects when buildings or bridges have been destroyed. How fast did it take to get the Pentagon fixed back up?

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  1:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you put it in North Downtown, the city has the opportunity to hold associated events, receptions and even overflow seating in the QCO arena (and broadcast the game on the jumbotron). Plus, they control various parking structures (Omaha Park 1 thru Park 8) and they'd be able to charge a premium in the QCO lots surrounding the facility.

That means more $$$ for the city -- which could potentially help pay the thing off faster.

But, I do admire the folks in South O for putting up a fight. That event brings a lot of money into that area of the city. Honestly, that area really doesn't have much else (yes, I know there is a zoo, but how often does Holly Homemaker pay to park in someone's driveway or buy a beer at one of the local watering holes?)

I dunno if I necessarily believe the "veracity" in the statements that say the "only" way to secure a long-term contract is to completely raze the facility and start over, but I'll give civic leaders the benefit of the doubt in this instance. I would like to see the NCAA's actual "wish list", though.

I will say that AJ does have a point -- It sort of makes ya feel bad that our city has to eternally roll over like a cheap hooker to appease the NCAA.
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  4:05:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hate to say I told you so but........

Go to Top of Page

MavRick
A Better Fan Than You

USA
-3935 Posts

Posted - 09/20/2007 :  9:42:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rosenblatt has great memories. It is otherwise an unremarkable patchwork of ad-hoc architecture. It is not Wrigley or Fenway. It's a postwar park that we patched together to make a great place for the CWS.

Our opinion of it is irrelevant, as AJ says. The Series is what is important, and I do not for a moment blame the NCAA for wanting a new stadium to play it in. And since we get $40 million per year from the CWS, a $150 million investment for a multi-year contract is not unreasonable.

The stadium will be spectacular. The grid streets of downtown will make it easy to park, and the ramps and lots of the Market and downtown will more than take care of weekend crowds. (Rosenblatt has very little parking and it's no big deal.) The day will come when we look out from home plate, over the center field wall, and see the cool-ass bridge across the Missouri, lit with $300,000 lights that have been donated. We'll get over Rosenblatt, don't you worry.

"Compulsory unification of opinion achieves only the unanimity of the graveyard." Justice Robert Jackson, West Virginia Board of Education v. Barnette, Supreme Court of the United States (1943)
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  10:48:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I pretty much agree with everything Rick said.

On this, (and I know I'm in the minority) I wish the Royals were being kept in the loop or at least briefed prior to information going to the World Herald. I also liked the original location near Slowdown a lot better.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  10:50:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree 100% with Rik. Focus now has to be on keeping the series, and building one of the sweetest non-MLB downtown parks ever created.

Rosenblatt was nice...lots of memories..but like an elderly uncle who passes away..it's probably best this way. Say your goodbyes..remember the good times.

Move on.

Go to Top of Page

AJMav
Minister of Anger

Iran
4503 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  10:54:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's official now.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=1200&u_sid=10138233

NCAA will give a "long term deal" to Omaha if we build a new stadium

What a shock (/sarcasm)

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  11:00:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think anyone that has followed this over the years knows that the NCAA has dictated to Omaha wants they want, then Omaha does it. It's the reason this is the only event that has a "permanent" home. It will be interesting to see what the cost of the stadium will be and what the financing plan will be considering the constant whining Fahey always does about paying for the Qwest Center. I imagine the powers that be will be giving the Zoo a bunch of money for the Rosenblatt land (granted some will be paying of the bonds for the renovations that have been done previously).

The thing is, think about what the zoo can do with all of the new land. Lee Simmons has been amazing with what he has done so far, now he's got a whole new parcel to use.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Mojo325is
McQueen...

Brazil
1654 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  11:36:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Be that as it may, Rosenblatt sucks and is outdated.

You put pearls on a pig and it's still a pig.

------------

Trying to elude the Mickey Mouse Brigade
Go to Top of Page

Hellenistic Kshatriya
Senior Mav

1034 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  12:12:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did you have any idea this was coming, or just lucky timing?

I kinda liked the idea of staying at Rosenblatt, but a new downtown park should be amazing.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  1:27:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
College World Series of Omaha Inc. and the mayor's office released a statement saying that the NCAA had told them that the NCAA would agree to consider a long-term contract of 10, 15 or 20 years if a new downtown stadium was part of the deal. Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey wants the contract to be 20 years.

If Fahey gets a 20-year contract, then we might as well make him Governor of the state.

The NCAA would lose all bargaining power in the near future if they agreed to a contract that long.

If they agree to it (and we deify Fahey), then it'll be interesting to see what Omaha has to build to appease the NCAA for two more decades.

You wonder if they'll get away from GA "bleacher seats" and opt to make the entire facility reserved tickets. That'd partly make sense since the bleachers were essentially an "afterthought" at Rosenblatt, and Omaha would stand to generate a lot more revenue selling season and single-game reserved seats.

Minor league ballparks tend to be small. If we approach the 30,000 fixed-seat mark, then it won't be as affordable as some have predicted. We'll likely have to do that to get Fahey's long-term deal.

Much as the Qwest Center Omaha is like a slightly "smaller" version of a prime NHL rink, this would be a somewhat smaller version of an MLB ballpark. We'll be looking at nearly $150 to $200 million for such a facility.

The problem is that the bar has now been raised. The CWS is a good investment for Omaha, but Fahey's PR strategy (and effort to stop grassroots efforts to save Rosenblatt) means that Omaha has publicly tied themselves into building a new facility.

What started out a few months ago as a new facility with 9,000 fixed seats will soon be closing in on a "mini-MLB facility" (because we all know that the amenities that the NCAA will demand will be a higher share of revenue, luxury press box, luxury suites, etc.)

All of this for an event that has largely been relegated to ESPN2.

This is an important event for Omaha, but it has also been an affordable event for Omahans to attend.

We all know that events at the Qwest Center haven't been cheap because MECA (the entity that'll also be running the "new" Rosenblatt) has tried to milk as many dollars out of consumers in an attempt to pay off the facility.

The CWS might become more in line with other NCAA championship events -- and might push your average consumer out.

I realize that isn't the end of the world, but I sincerely hope that the "rank-and-file" Omahan will have access to the event and it doesn't turn into a very large corporate sports party (moreso than it is already).

Omaha has invested a lot of money in Rosenblatt. I understand its time has passed, but Omaha stands to take on another financial burden (in addition to the Qwest Center) which'll mean that the estimated $40 million generated in annual revenue will be "a wash" for a number of years.
Go to Top of Page

The Basement
Inconceivable!

Italy
870 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  2:07:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My only issue is where are they going to put more parking? Lot D is the biggest lot, and it sounds like it will be gone.

http://www.qwestcenter.com/downloads/parking.pdf
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  6:09:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've definitely got two big forces at work. I imagine the supporters of the zoo will do whatever they can to make this work. Getting the Rosenblatt land will be a transforming event for the zoo. You've also now got the people that want the CWS kept in Omaha to work on this. I imagine it will all work out. I also noticed that Fahey is involving UNO in the study of the financing.

My bet is the NCAA signs a 15 year extension. Not the 20 year we have thrown out and more than the standard 5 or 10 year extension.

Greg
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 107 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000