Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

KCMavsDad
Freshman Mav

227 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2017 :  09:44:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a "beautiful day in the neighborhood" and not a "Cloud" in sight!!!

"Drop the puck Morrison"
quote:
Originally posted by NoClu

Really looking forward to this weekend. A huge test for the Mav's. Let's get em!

@joelemperes
Zanon isn't growing a beard. Apparently when throwing your body in front of and blocking several 90mph pucks, your face sweats hair.

Go to Top of Page

montrealmav
Sophomore Mav

Canada
491 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2017 :  10:07:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good hockey for the first 2 periods...........then.

Better puck control by St Cloud, especially with face offs.

GO MAVS!

revenge is a meal best served cold
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1685 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2017 :  07:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tough weekend for the Mavs as they fail to gain any points

I really don't fault the effort -- thought they played well with the exception of the 2nd period friday night.

big concern is the lack of scoring. It will take time to transition from the race horse hockey style of blais into a more defensive first type of style.

unfortunately moral victories only go so far in the NCHC. the good news is UMD is coming to town and they have been struggling. great time to get a few points and momentum going into the break.

Elsewhere: Notre Dame with another sweep this weekend, but I'm not impressed. wake me when they play a top tier NCHC team.

Nice to see miami get a split with cornell: Cornell is pretty decent

Western Michigan should just play all their games at home: they are not a good road team.

BC with a nice split at BU: Keep an eye on that BC team they seem to have to found a little momentum.

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1685 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2017 :  1:04:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excited for the #NCHCPillowfight tonight!

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10843 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  10:10:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thru 8 NCHC games, the Mavs have given up 39 goals -- for a 4.875 GAA. That won't win many games.

As my friend Brent pointed out, in the 4 NCHC games we've played at Baxter, we've given up 23 goals -- an avg. of 5.75 a game.

Our defense is ranked second-to-last in college hockey.

Blankenburg made some good saves last night vs UMD. The bigger problem is passing, puck handling, and turnovers in the defensive zone.

We are a team with only 3 freshmen, and should be stronger at this point in the conference season.

The good news is that we're only 2 wins out of 5th place in the conference, so there is still hope...
Go to Top of Page

montrealmav
Sophomore Mav

Canada
491 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2017 :  11:42:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blankenburg should be given another start against Union. Aside from defensive lapses and being screened, Alex played well.

Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1685 Posts

Posted - 12/11/2017 :  05:48:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
pretty simple: GAA needs improvement -- I know captain obvious but giving up 5 Goals a game is no bueno. I will take a split but there was potential Saturday to really make up ground.

the sad part is UNO isn't a bad team, but you have to be above average in the NCHC -- what a meat grinder of a conference.

just to point out: The 8 NCHC teams are in the top 20 pairwise -- thats pretty damm impressive.

St. Cloud looks like they are separating from the pack just slightly.

is western Michigan starting to show some flaws? loosing at home against miami was puzzling. an anomaly or a trend?

Denver has national championship hangover -- we knew CC was going to be improved, but DU just sounds like the effort is lacking.

I am impressed with CC's turnaround.

Elsewhere:

Got to feel for St. Lawrence - really bad team and now with the internal investigation it's gone from bad to worse..

Notre Dame: are they a paper tiger? gaudy record against the big 10, but I still say they would get slaughtered in the NCHC...

have a great week everyone!!!

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1685 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  05:08:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Slow week as teams head into the break but need to talk about DU.

it wasn't that they lost to Dartmouth, it was how they lost by blowing a lead again.

Monty ripped his team after the loss calling into question their character. say what you want about monty (guy is kinda a cleanser IMO), but he didn't mince any words.

seems to me two things
1) the leadership of butcher is sorely missed - he had to be at DU at least 8 years
2) national championship hangover. They thought this year would be easy and seems to me the veteran players forgot that you have to but in effort. they have some issues right now in leadership. something to keep an eye on.

I know no one reads or comments on this forum anymore but interesting 2nd half coming up!

if uno can possibly play a little defense they could be right in the mix at the end.

will be interesting to see if western can continue their success at lawson.

Miami was my surprise pick at the beginning of the year -- I'm sticking with em. they showed signs of life splitting with cornell.

don't forget after fighting with the inlaws and suffering from crippling depression world jr tournament starts on the 26th!!!

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

montrealmav
Sophomore Mav

Canada
491 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  07:59:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I enjoy your weekly comments on the state of college hockey. I'm sure your posts will be even more interesting after the teams return from Christmas break and get into conference play. GO MAVS!

Go to Top of Page

PirateMav
Monongahela Monster

New Zealand
513 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2017 :  6:35:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quinn

I know no one reads or comments on this forum anymore but interesting 2nd half coming up!

*shrug*

I still prefer it to FB.

Never drive faster than you can see.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5330 Posts

Posted - 12/21/2017 :  11:38:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Notre Dame: are they a paper tiger? gaudy record against the big 10, but I still say they would get slaughtered in the NCHC...

I think most teams would get slaughtered in the NCHC; there is a reason why the NCHC has had two Frozen Four teams the last three seasons.

It's also why I'm really worried about the Mavs after New Years'.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1685 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2018 :  2:25:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Happy New year Mav fans!

Absolutely huge sweep over a pretty decent Union team this weekend. not to go all pwr geek but UNO is now winning the comparison with north dakota for record against common opponents.

in the past, these were the types of games UNO would loose. the results this weekend leave me hopeful. however, time will tell if UNO is poised for a second half run or if they will get taken to the woodshed in the brutal NCHC.

I'm not happy that oldham got the start, but he played pretty well.

I'm going to give UMD and st cloud an incomplete for their performance this weekend. UMD was down to 4 Defensemen when they played Dartmouth. I think UMD might be poised for a great second half.

DU continues to turn in head scratching performances. there may be serious cause for alarm out there. monty has to be frustrated.

want to mention the job Grant Potulny has done at NMU. he has done a great job in his first year and may be the successor to tDon at the U in a couple years..

I hope everyone has a great week!
my new years resolution is to continue to use a flip phone, not have a twitter or facebook account, and continue to be a Luddite in all things technology!!!!

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1685 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2018 :  06:45:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Despite the blowout on saturday, I'm pleased with a split at UND.

If UNO plays .500 hockey the rest of the way, a bid is possible to the NCAAs

Big chance to gain some points with a wildly inconsistent Miami team coming to town.

Slow week around the NCHC, however I'm displeased that SCSU only managed one win against the "Pride on ice" The U is the 5th best team in the state of minnesota, and SCSU should have beaten them both games.

as an aside: I'm glad the UND series is behind us so the Blais discussion can stop for a bit. I've been guilty of it as well.

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2578 Posts

Posted - 01/12/2018 :  10:39:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't ever call him The Don. He's a dink.

That said, MN the 5th best team in Minnesota? No. Minnesota is ranked 3rd of 5 in any poll worth a damn and they have one of the hardest schedules to date.

What has gotten into me....this is the second time I've stood up for MN in the past week, wtf.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1685 Posts

Posted - 01/15/2018 :  07:47:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
wild weekend in the NCHC after the defense optional friday night.

Big sweep for the mavs headed into DU. DU has had some issues this season so hopefully UNO can possibly steal a game. it's been a very long time since UNO has beaten denver. I think UNO last beat denver sometime during the Mesozoic Era.

Have to keep an eye out on the injuries at western. very shorthanded at forward and have lost a big chunk of their offense.

elsewhere: Hockey east may only get one or two bids for the tournament this year. looks like the NCAA is guilty of western bias...

Have to keep an eye on mankato: quietly sitting in the top 10 of the PWR. WCHA may get 2 teams in this year if mankato doesn't get the auto bid.

plenty of good seats left for the DU series since no one actually goes to a denver game. I heard they may tag the denver fan and release him back into the wild so they can track him....

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

NYFlyer
Freshman Mav

52 Posts

Posted - 01/16/2018 :  5:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pios got problems anyway, being the "Trailblazers" that they are...
quote:

wild weekend in the NCHC after the defense optional friday night.

Big sweep for the mavs headed into DU. DU has had some issues this season so hopefully UNO can possibly steal a game. it's been a very long time since UNO has beaten denver. I think UNO last beat denver sometime during the Mesozoic Era.

Have to keep an eye out on the injuries at western. very shorthanded at forward and have lost a big chunk of their offense.

elsewhere: Hockey east may only get one or two bids for the tournament this year. looks like the NCAA is guilty of western bias...

Have to keep an eye on mankato: quietly sitting in the top 10 of the PWR. WCHA may get 2 teams in this year if mankato doesn't get the auto bid.

plenty of good seats left for the DU series since no one actually goes to a denver game. I heard they may tag the denver fan and release him back into the wild so they can track him....

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1685 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2018 :  12:18:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WMU Just lost one of their main weapons for the year: tough break for them

Due to a lower body injury, Wade Allison will be out of for the remainder of the 2017-18 season.

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1685 Posts

Posted - 01/21/2018 :  1:27:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Early Recap before I get drunk and watch the vikings game:

sigh: another UNO loss to DU. 12 straight games now that UNO has lost to denver. some of you probably weren't even born yet....

Mavs desperately need to split with western. western is not good on the road.

Other teams that may have cause for concern would be st. cloud. 2-3-2 since christmas.

CC looks to be much improved. if they were in the big 10 they would probably be in first place.

Elsewhere:

Clarkson had a small hiccup this weekend. something to keep an eye on.

Sad to hear about Air force's game being cancelled due to the government shutdown.

Notre dame continues to dominate the crappy big10. that was brilliant to leave hockey east so they could no longer be an also ran.....

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

NYFlyer
Freshman Mav

52 Posts

Posted - 01/22/2018 :  09:53:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Wisconsin dominated them BACK
Go to Top of Page

montrealmav
Sophomore Mav

Canada
491 Posts

Posted - 01/27/2018 :  2:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A win is a win last night with an interesting last 6 minutes. After playing very well in the first 2 periods I'm confounded how #35 let in those 2 Western goals in the third. Soft goals and both in the same spot. I'm glad he played well for the remainder of the period. GO MAVS!

Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1685 Posts

Posted - 01/28/2018 :  6:06:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Huge Huge Sweep for the Mavs this weekend! UNO now 7-1 at home in their last 8 games at home. scoring lots of goals and having fun in the process!!

it's a fun time to be a mav fan! team seems like it's playing with a lot of confidence right now.

I'm going to be optimistic and predict at least a split at st. cloud next weekend.

Lots of ties and splits this weekend around the NCHC. This league is just a juggernaut with 6 teams possibly making the NCAA tournament.

Elsewhere:

Clarkson only manages a tie with brown. Still having a good season but you have to wonder how deep they can go. If I had to pick a team out of the east to make a deep run I would go with cornell. sure, mike shaffer may be a douche bag, but they are having a tremendous season.

Ohio state gets overshadowed by some other big10 programs, but they are having a great season and I think they are going to be a real tough out come tournament time. seems like they have flown under the radar most of the season, but are sitting in 6th in the PWR right now...

another team that isn't getting a bunch of attention is providence. while their mascot is creepy and shouldn't be allowed near children, they have had a decent season and you can't discount them even though hockey east is down this year.

tons of fans disguised as empty seats for the pride on ice this weekend. I'm sure goofer fans have some member berries that member when the 3M Arena at Mariucci used to be full. goofer fans long for the days of the wcha and real hockey.

2 more home series left for UNO as we enter the stretch run for a possible NCAA appearance!!!

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

TW37NE
New Recruit

33 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  09:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
After the results the last 2 home weekends I have a greater sense of optimism for the rest of the regular season. I think now that a split at St. Cloud and at Duluth is definitely possible, a few weeks ago I wouldn't have thought that to be the case.

There isn't any reason I can see why we shouldn't be able to get a sweep at home over CC, as well as against NoDak, I'd be disappointed if we didn't get a split at minimum in each series.
Go to Top of Page

NYFlyer
Freshman Mav

52 Posts

Posted - 01/29/2018 :  10:19:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't overlook the work that Weninger did in the first period (both nights). Some outstanding goal tending by the young man and I think we are seeing a resurgence based on the fact that the Mav's are clicking. Solid effort all around, 120 minutes of hockey as they say. And the hitting is spot on. No retaliatory penalties other than Vesel, but that f$^(@^%@ker deserved it...
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5330 Posts

Posted - 01/30/2018 :  9:42:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Weninger has been better at times lately (I missed that Friday night game against Miami where the wind was blowing out); I'm crediting Peter Mannino for that.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1685 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2018 :  12:46:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
taking a break from from kitten bowl and puppy bowl....

Tough weekend for the Mavs as they fail to earn any points. hope they can regroup against bye week. bye week has been playing some fantastic hockey of late.

with 6 games left would love for UNO to go 3-3 or 4-2 to hang on to a tentative NCAA birth. North dakota I'm calling a split, I think the mavs sweep CC. I'm not confident on getting any points at Duluth.

Elsewhere: sounds like UMD got a bad call in the Saturday DU game. there are lot of black helicopter theories that DU gets a lot of favorable calls. the statistics kinda back that up: take it for what it's worth: (courtesy of the great bruce ciske)

Power play differentials (a + means a team has had more PPs than PKs, a - the opposite) by NCHC team, conference games only

Colorado College +10
Denver +24
Miami -1
UMD -8
North Dakota -9
Omaha -5
St. Cloud State +16
Western Michigan -27

Elsewhere: Cornell's quality win bonus is terrible, and clarkson is starting to circle the drain.

Hockey east is still bad.

Keep an eye on Mankato: they may have lost their star player -- no update on the injury as of now.

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1685 Posts

Posted - 02/06/2018 :  3:10:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For those that want to geek out a little: here is Jim Dahl's PWR Calculator:

https://collegehockeyranked.com/tools/pwrcalculator/

UNO needs 3-4 it looks like. getting a win against North dakota and duluth will be critical...

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1685 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  08:49:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
slow weekend in the conference but SCSU now #1 in the PWR and leads the NCHC by 3 points. looks like the conference will be decided with the SCSU V DU matchup in a couple weeks.

UNO has a great chance to make a jump in the pwr and the standings as the next 3 series are against teams right around UNO in the standings.

I'm confident of at least a split with north dakota if not an outright sweep. North dakota still having problems putting pucks in the net and they are a bit banged up right now.

also: I'm sure the blais haters will be out in force next week....

Elsewhere: Don't look now but the evil empire of die weasel scum is now sitting at 14th in the PWR. would like noting more then to see them a) not make the tournament or b) have UNO pound them in a regional and have the refs waive off a goal..

Can't believe there are only 3 weeks left in the season: always seems like it goes fast...

tickets have already been purchased for the NCHC tournament. would like noting better than UNO to actually make it this year since I'm taking the wife and kids..

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

iowabasedtraveler
Freshman Mav

123 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2018 :  11:50:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quinn,
I assume that you and I are the only two remaining on here (and not Twitter or whatever), so I will address this to you...
Read your fairly-recent lines about Cornell's quality-of-wins and Clarkson's circling-of-the-drain.
Now that I am a Colgate season ticket-holder and I've seen both of those teams at home and on the road...
doesn't PWR automatically take into account Cornell's quality-of-wins?
and do you think Clarkson will make the NCAA tourney, or not?
Being that I am an ECAC regular now, I am very impressed with both teams this season (and Union). My guess is that they will do alright come Selection Sunday.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1685 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  07:14:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Clarkson will make the NCAA tourney, or not

The lowest I have Clarkson finishing with the pwr calculator is 11th so I think they are in.

Cornell's quality win bonus isn't great, and that is factored in come tournament seeding time (I believe but don't take my word 100 percent)

between the two, I think cornell will be a tougher out come tournament time.

ECAC and Hockey east may only get 4 teams in the tournament between the two conferences.

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10843 Posts

Posted - 02/12/2018 :  3:11:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still here...
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly