Jake Guentzel
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2017 :  06:45:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night, through only 2 rounds, Jake Guentzel broke Jaromir Jagr's Pittsburgh Penguins record for points by a rookie in the playoffs with 14. Jagr had 13 in a full 4 rounds. Guentzel has 14 in 2 rounds. Amazing. He's currently the toast of the hockey world.

LetsGoMavs
Freshman Mav

160 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  8:57:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats to Jake
It helps playing with Sid, but as you have seen, he is always in the right spot and one hell of a passer. I am not a Pen's fan but boy am I cheering for him to continue the great play. It's not all scoring either, have you seen the blocked shots. Playing his position, doing what he is suppose to, I think it's called hockey sense!!!!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Hat-Trick
Freshman Mav

103 Posts

Posted - 05/20/2017 :  07:15:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also nice to see Josh Archibald called up to the lineup for game 4 tonight. By and large I cannot stand Sidney Crosby or the 18,000 referees who scream bloody murder every time he falls down and gets a little snow on his pockets, but it would be great to see (2) Mavericks have their name engraved on the Holy Grail.
Go to Top of Page

Bad Man Jose
Clubber Lang's Punching Bag

Luxembourg
1487 Posts

Posted - 05/24/2017 :  10:29:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hat-Trick

Also nice to see Josh Archibald called up to the lineup for game 4 tonight. By and large I cannot stand Sidney Crosby or the 18,000 referees who scream bloody murder every time he falls down and gets a little snow on his pockets, but it would be great to see (2) Mavericks have their name engraved on the Holy Grail.

They would be the first two if I recall. Parse got to skate with the cup but he didn't get his name on it

---------------
"On the roster, I’m listed as a goalie, so my job is to keep the puck out of the net at whatever cost it may be.” -Ryan Massa
Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1723 Posts

Posted - 05/30/2017 :  2:00:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last night I was definitely watching to see Jake on the ice. I saw that play developing and couldn't have been happier that it went into the net. A bit of gravy that it ended up being the game winning goal as well. Congratulations Jake!

@joelemperes
Zanon isn't growing a beard. Apparently when throwing your body in front of and blocking several 90mph pucks, your face sweats hair.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1620 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  07:01:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
espn article:

http://www.espn.com/nhl/story/_/id/19501122/2017-stanley-cup-how-jake-guentzel-became-nebraska-hockey-icon

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Hat-Trick
Freshman Mav

103 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  9:40:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yikes. If this keeps up there could be a couple trophies with Jake's name on them this year.
Go to Top of Page

KCMavsDad
Freshman Mav

225 Posts

Posted - 05/31/2017 :  11:36:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hat-Trick

Yikes. If this keeps up there could be a couple trophies with Jake's name on them this year.

GWG's last two games!! Keep it going Jake!!!

"Drop the puck Morrison"
Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1723 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2017 :  2:06:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nhl/cup/2017/05/31/pittsburgh-penguins-beat-nashville-predators-game-2-stanley-cup-final/102371340/

"Guentzel for MVP? With an NHL-leading 12 goals in the playoffs, rookie Guentzel is making his case. He has five game-winners, and has been the offensive hero in each of the first two games of the Stanley Cup Final.

Guentzel’s five game-winners are a new NHL rookie record, passing Chris Drury (Colorado, 1999) and Claude Lemieux (Montreal, 1986). Guentzel also ties Mario Lemieux's team record for game-winners, set in 1992."

Go on Jake!!!

P.S. He keeps this up I might need to change my tag-line below...

@joelemperes
Zanon isn't growing a beard. Apparently when throwing your body in front of and blocking several 90mph pucks, your face sweats hair.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2017 :  12:36:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Penguins appear to be running on fumes in this series. They are lucky to be up 2-1. I'm really hoping they have 2 more wins left in the tank to get Guentzel and Archibald on the cup. I'm not sure though. They've been outplayed most of the series. I wouldn't be shocked if Nashville takes this. If they can win it, I could see Guentzel winning the Conn Smythe. At this point, it's between him and Malkin.
Go to Top of Page

NYFlyer
New Recruit

48 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2017 :  08:58:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think that Jake has been a "force" in the series. Yes, I know he scored goals, but 3 of those were opportunistic rebounds. Yeah, I know, they crossed the line, etc. etc. But, he has been physically dominated by the Preds and has not done well on defense. Blasphemy, I know, been said before, will be repeated forward.
Go to Top of Page

Hat-Trick
Freshman Mav

103 Posts

Posted - 06/11/2017 :  10:35:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I thought Guentzel deserved the CS as much as anyone on the team. Unfortunately it was given to the player who sells more NHL licensed merchandise sweaters than any other player in the league.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2017 :  11:16:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think you could have gone with Crosby, Malkin, or Guentzel. Guentzel would have won it if he'd produced more later in the series. Crosby is the straw that stirs the drink. His playmaking ability is unparalleled. He facilitates the production that guys like Guentzel and Sheary get. He did deserve it as much as the other two I mentioned.

In any event, both Guentzel and Archibald both get their names on the cup. Big day for UNO Maverick Hockey. A first for the program.
Go to Top of Page

NYFlyer
New Recruit

48 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  08:10:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agree....
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

I think you could have gone with Crosby, Malkin, or Guentzel. Guentzel would have won it if he'd produced more later in the series. Crosby is the straw that stirs the drink. His playmaking ability is unparalleled. He facilitates the production that guys like Guentzel and Sheary get. He did deserve it as much as the other two I mentioned.

In any event, both Guentzel and Archibald both get their names on the cup. Big day for UNO Maverick Hockey. A first for the program.

Go to Top of Page

NoClu
Senior Mav

Equatorial Guinea
1723 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2017 :  08:43:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was really happy to see how Guentzel passed the cup to Archibald. Happiest I've been to see the cup in the air since watching Steve Yzerman hoist it back in the 90's.

@joelemperes
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2017 :  10:19:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"I sign it...you chug it..."

https://twitter.com/JuicySteen/status/875040349764206592

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 07/16/2017 :  8:04:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looks like Jake invited many of his former UNO teammates (and his former coach) to join him for some golf...and take a picture with this huge silver thing.

https://twitter.com/unocowbell/status/886055900267544576

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000