Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  2:05:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quinn had this in the Misc. Forum...

http://www.mavpuck.com/mpboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10255

NU President Hank Bounds announced today that the Chancellor of UNMC (Dr. Gold) will take on Interim Chancellor duties at UNO.

While this might be an interim position, it makes you wonder if the dual-role position could become permanent in some form down the road...

But it all kind of aligns with everything we have been hearing about budget cuts, belt tightening and the like within the university system in the state.

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  9:40:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it's going to be a "dual role" for long. It's step one for merging UNMC with either UNO or UNL. State politics might insist that it goes under UNL, but a merged UNO/UNMC makes the most sense to me with one administration.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  10:20:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I don't think it's going to be a "dual role" for long. It's step one for merging UNMC with either UNO or UNL. State politics might insist that it goes under UNL, but a merged UNO/UNMC makes the most sense to me with one administration.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com

Yep.
Go to Top of Page

Hat-Trick
Freshman Mav

103 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  10:32:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Irony that the interim Chancellor "Dr. Gold" is pulling down $814k. Per. Year.

Hope he's a hockey fan.
Go to Top of Page

NYFlyer
New Recruit

47 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  3:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With a hospital system to worry about, I hope he's a fan too. I just hope he has more pressing priorities :)
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2017 :  4:52:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hat-Trick

Irony that the interim Chancellor "Dr. Gold" is pulling down $814k. Per. Year.

Hope he's a hockey fan.

It'd be nice to pull down $68,000 a month...
Go to Top of Page

NYFlyer
New Recruit

47 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2017 :  09:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But just think how bad you would feel about "others". Don't forget, the take home is probably in the $600K range. Still not in the head football coach range... maybe a lower paid assistant... :)
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1618 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  05:49:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone! -- wanted to share this letter that we got yesterday:

interesting times are afoot!

To the Faculty, Staff and Students of the University of Nebraska at Omaha and University of Nebraska Medical Center:

Last night I learned that there is a possibility the Legislature may conduct a study about the feasibility of consolidating UNO and UNMC into a single University of Nebraska institution in Omaha.

We appreciate senators’ interest in the University and we are always ready to be a resource to legislators as they do their work. I do want to be very clear about this potential interim study (LR218). It was not brought forward at the University’s request and we did not know it would be introduced.

Of course, we’ll be pleased to have conversations with interested senators about the reasoning behind our decision to name Dr. Gold to lead both UNMC and UNO. We will make the same points we have shared with all of you: That this appointment opens exciting opportunities for student and faculty collaborations, that we think can find additional fiscal efficiencies, and that while it makes sense for our Omaha-based campuses to work more closely together, UNO and UNMC also each have distinct and important missions to serve our state.

If the Legislature decides to pursue this study, we would work with policymakers to provide the information they seek. We would use a study as an opportunity to engage legislators in a discussion about the role that each University of Nebraska campus plays in transforming lives and communities across our state.

We will be clear and consistent, however, about our thinking regarding this leadership transition.

Thank you for your input and engagement over the past few weeks. I know you will have more questions and comments as Dr. Gold moves into his new role, and I invite you to continue to share those. Chancellor Gold and I are both excited about the opportunities for deeper partnership in Omaha – and we are just as excited about the potential for each individual institution to do even more to serve students and people in Nebraska and around the world. We’re in that position of strength because of your hard work. Thank you for all that you do for the University of Nebraska.

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2017 :  07:44:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that from Hank Bounds? The tone of that sounds like the University system leadership is not in favor of a merger.

And, once the powers that be at UNL weigh in on it, I suspect you'll have even more opposing it. I know some have argued the fact that UNL doesn't have a medical school is what has, in some ways, made their academics look sub standard compared to many other Big Ten schools.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1618 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2017 :  3:05:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
from hammering hank bounds: for those interested.....

The Board of Regents has approved the university’s operating budget for 2017-18, including our approach for managing a recurring $49 million shortfall resulting from funding cuts and rising expenses. We’ll close the gap with a combination of spending cuts and revenue – choices that, while difficult, protect to the greatest extent possible our affordability and the quality of our academic enterprise.

We are now beginning to finalize the teams’ recommendations and move to an implementation phase. While we’re still working through final decisions, we do know that they will include a range of changes. In some cases, we’ve identified more efficient processes or structures that will allow us to serve students and Nebraskans more collaboratively. Some of the changes will impact jobs. We expect to lose more than 100 positions, through attrition where possible and only after careful consideration and communication about decisions of this magnitude.

Changing the way we do business will take time and will have a broad impact across the university. We’ll learn as we go along. For example, new processes in how we contract with vendors will save us money in the long term, but may interrupt or slow down purchasing within colleges or departments as we adjust. We are moving with a sense of urgency, but we’re much more interested in getting this right – in putting lasting changes in place that will position us for long-term success.

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1618 Posts

Posted - 06/23/2017 :  10:03:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
they posted a video of the two schools having a very public display of affection moment.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGqzaAq7HGo&feature=youtu.be

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 06/26/2017 :  09:53:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nousefouraname

Is that from Hank Bounds? The tone of that sounds like the University system leadership is not in favor of a merger.

And, once the powers that be at UNL weigh in on it, I suspect you'll have even more opposing it. I know some have argued the fact that UNL doesn't have a medical school is what has, in some ways, made their academics look sub standard compared to many other Big Ten schools.

Yes it has. It hurts them in comparison to other schools on research dollars. I know when NU got booted from the AAU, two major factors where they were not able to count UNMC research budget as schools that have them combined do, along with Agri-research not being counted either.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1618 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  07:22:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know this won't be relevant to most folks on here but UNMC employees can get 25 percent off season tickets...

just passing the info along....

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Dr. Sauce
Freshman Mav

USA
91 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  4:39:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about students?
Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2017 :  7:45:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What about hospital employees?
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1618 Posts

Posted - 07/28/2017 :  06:18:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Full article:
The University of Nebraska at Omaha (UNO) is offering UNMC faculty and staff the same discount on season tickets to UNO sporting events that it provides for its own faculty and staff.

A discount of 25 percent is available on season tickets to UNO sports. The discount can be applied to the first two hockey season tickets purchased, as well as any amount of season tickets for UNO's other Division I sports, which include men's and women's basketball, men's and women's soccer, volleyball and softball.

To receive the discount, UNMC faculty and staff can buy tickets in person at the Baxter Arena Box Office and show their UNMC ID badge as they select their seats. They also can call for help selecting season tickets at 402-554-2001 and then email in a scanned copy of the UNMC ID badge.

UNO also offers a payroll deduction option when purchasing season tickets. For more information on this option, call 402-554-2001 or go to the website.

I got my discount applied to my existing tickets...

if you work for the evil that is Nebraska medicine go pound sand.

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

buetane
All-Star Mav

Iceland
2568 Posts

Posted - 07/29/2017 :  01:18:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lord, just realized what a putz I am after I came back and read things again.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000