Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  09:56:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NebFan1

It sounds like Gabinet had an idea that he would be the next head coach when he was hired in 2016:

http://www.omaha.com/uno/blog/tbl-new-uno-hockey-coach-mike-gabinet-ready-to-hit/article_2ef9c150-1bda-11e7-9d56-8bce5d8f6593.html

That aligns with what we'd heard the past 12 months.

It took some effort to get Gabinet here from Canada (work visa and the like). As Mike alluded to in the interview with Severe, he and his wife both had good careers in Alberta, and they'd just renovated their "forever home"...

This is the guy who was going to be UNO's next head coach...
Go to Top of Page

ziffy
Freshman Mav

USA
55 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  1:41:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If he was hired to be the next head coach last year, what really is the difference of taking over in 2017 vs 2018. I hope Gabinet has a say in his assistants. Would be nice to see some alums like, Ellis, Zanon, Hoggan, Facca or anyone else which is younger and has the passion and commitment Gabinet has.

It is easier to criticize, than it is to do. Sit UBU Sit,
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  10:37:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ziffy

If he was hired to be the next head coach last year, what really is the difference of taking over in 2017 vs 2018. I hope Gabinet has a say in his assistants. Would be nice to see some alums like, Ellis, Zanon, Hoggan, Facca or anyone else which is younger and has the passion and commitment Gabinet has.

It is easier to criticize, than it is to do. Sit UBU Sit,

I'm curious to see what the story is on assistants...

Leigh Mendelson isn't typically included in conversations about assistants, but he has 22 years experience coaching hockey in various capacities.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=63934

We could see a scenario where Kirk Thompson is elevated from his volunteer position. Hard to say...

Gabinet has said he wants to build from the net out, which is a phrase Mike Kemp often used when he was head coach at UNO.

So we could see a fundamental change from Blais's up-and-down, "racehorse hockey" style of play.

Some fans want to see more structure in the team's game strategy. I don't know what philosophy will be ideal for UNO to best be able to compete in the NCHC moving forward.

It'll be fascinating to see what the team looks like in a few years. We could be looking at a methodical, trapping team that clogs the neutral zone and grinds out low scoring games.

Or not. Depends on coaching priorities and the kind of recruits targeted and obtained...

Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  11:14:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
UNO basically hired a candidate who is the polar opposite of Dean Blais when he was hired in 2009.

That's the way it typically works when you are looking for changes. Looking at Nebraska football, Bill Callahan was allegedly an offensive mind, so to replace him, NU went defense with Bo Pelini.

When Pelini was let go, you can either say they went with an offensive guy in Mike Riley, or a guy who's the exact polar opposite in terms of demeanor in Mike Riley.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  10:02:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

quote:
UNO basically hired a candidate who is the polar opposite of Dean Blais when he was hired in 2009.

That's the way it typically works when you are looking for changes. Looking at Nebraska football, Bill Callahan was allegedly an offensive mind, so to replace him, NU went defense with Bo Pelini.

When Pelini was let go, you can either say they went with an offensive guy in Mike Riley, or a guy who's the exact polar opposite in terms of demeanor in Mike Riley.

I don't think anyone would have seen this coming 24 months ago.

It appears the Gabinet hire was about community relations as much as anything else. That said, the only way it works is if the on-ice results are better than they've been since 2009.

There is a point of view around the interwebs that a fresh perspective will make that happen. We'll have a better idea when January 2018 rolls around.

The sport at the D-1 level -- being only 60 or so teams -- means coaching hires tend to be stable and conservative choices.

UNO is trying to find its Nate Leaman, a young coach who can come in and transform the program from a solid performer to perennial contender.

After stints as an assistant at Maine and Harvard, Leaman went to Union College and turned a low-level program into a national power. Then (after 12 seasons there), he landed at Providence in 2011, winning a national championship in 2015.

It's definitely a "high-risk/high-reward" proposition with Gabinet.

He is the youngest head coach currently in D-1 hockey. Generally speaking, he has less coaching experience than his fellow NCHC coaches had when hired.

Moreover, he has less coaching experience than former UNO alums Nick Fohr and Rob Facca. Fohr is currently with the U.S. National Developmental Program, Facca is a scout for the Chicago Blackhawks.

If it works out, the Gabinet hire could prove to be incredibly prescient, and allow UNO to have a head coach who is invested and loyal to the school -- someone who could be here the next 15-20 years.

But I understand where the skepticism comes from.

If it doesn't work out, you might have invested five years in a direction that sets the program back a decade.

That's why some fans were looking for a more established, proven name.

At this point, Gabinet is largely a blank slate. The future is somewhat cloudy as a result.

Some hockey coaches are "turnaround artists"...some have built "solid performers" over the course of 10-15 years...

Gabinet has only been a head coach for one season... on a team that was already very successful prior to his ascension. NAIT is in Canada and competes in the ACAC (which isn't apples-to-apples with the NCAA)... they often recruit players from the WHL (major junior hockey -- the highest level of junior hockey in CA -- where players are paid). The MVP on his 36-0 NAIT team played four years of professional hockey in the U.S. prior to joining the Ooks.

The hope here is that UNO has found an "under the radar" guy who will surprise and bring a young, hungry energy to the Mavericks.

I am hoping that is the case, and am going to be interested to see where it takes us.

But as the old adage goes... "the only thing change guarantees is change."
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2017 :  10:57:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
24 months ago, we were licking our wounds after a Frozen Four semifinal loss...but looking forward to a really bright future.

I guess I've always been on the outside of the fan community, but I have been shocked at the level of animosity some fans have towards Dean Blais. Certainly, the last year and a half has been disappointing. (Only winning 8 out of the last 28 home games is a huge issue.) But the program is clearly better thanks to Blais.

Clearly, if Gabinet succeeds, Trev and Kemp look like geniuses for bringing him here last year. That being said, there's almost nothing on his resume to consider him ready to coach at this level. It takes an awful lot of faith in Gabinet to make this move.

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  09:27:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I guess I've always been on the outside of the fan community, but I have been shocked at the level of animosity some fans have towards Dean Blais. Certainly, the last year and a half has been disappointing. (Only winning 8 out of the last 28 home games is a huge issue.) But the program is clearly better thanks to Blais.

There are a number of UNO Hockey fans who either:

1. Weren't around 10-15 years ago.
- or -
2. Have developed a case of "selective amnesia."

We don't want to go back to the days of 21-year-old freshmen, 5' 6" forwards, and "long in the tooth" defensemen.

The last few years we've done a better job of getting younger players to Omaha -- who are NHL draft picks -- and it has made a big difference.

People can trivialize the Frozen Four appearance, but it's that type of player that got us there.

Therein lies the biggest challenge for UNO going forward -- recruiting.

This romantic notion that UNO can be the "Bad News Bears," and use strategy and systems to compete against the finest teams in the NCHC, will only take the program so far. You gotta have the horses to run the race against these teams.

The good news is that UNO had a roster with 7 freshmen and 10 sophomores this past season.

There is a real opportunity for Gabinet to get off to a strong start in his first season. This coaching staff (with the assistants he eventually brings in) really, really needs to get off to a strong start...

When you don't have a track record in the NCAA -- and only one year of head coaching experience -- prep and junior players (along with parents and coaches) are going to be leery -- at least initially...

Go to Top of Page

NYFlyer
New Recruit

48 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  12:20:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is why Gabinet has 2 years to make good happen. He runs out of the current recruitment by then and will have only one year to "reload". Unfortunately for him, he has to manage a very complex situation with a relatively (now) inexperienced staff. The first move will be a recruiter, can they get that done? Time will tell. I like who he is, and how the players reacted, but he has a lot to "prove" and not much time to prove it. I want him to be successful, I want to see inspired play by the team. Fingers crossed, may the force be with him...
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  12:25:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That "Bad News Bears" approach kind of worked in the CCHA the first 10-12 years, though people got tired of it. You had Michigan and Michigan State, and then a group of 8. Sometimes Notre Dame or Miami would jump up, and the rest were just kind of there.

Blais got UNO into the WCHA, and then the NCHC. We're in the hockey equivalent of the SEC. The USCHO year end rankings just came out, and 4 of the 8 schools finished in the Top Ten.

I pooh-pooh recruiting coverage because I think it's overdone and frequently the analysis is faulty. I've never intended to say that recruiting isn't important. And I'm very concerned that we've hired a head coach who has zero connections to the USHL or high school hockey programs in the region. He certainly can use Blais' recruiting plans as a starting point, but if he's looking for a different style of play, he'll probably also want to look at different players than Blais was pursuing.

And if that's the case, I have no idea where he starts.

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  1:13:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would say it's pretty important to get at least one seasoned assistant.

Someone who has an established track record of recruiting/coaching players in D-1 hockey.

Denver -- which just won the national championship -- has former Alaska-Fairbanks head coach Tavis MacMillan on staff as an assistant. Between his time at UAF and DU, he spent 7 years as a scout for Atlanta/Winnipeg.

Be a good idea to get someone with experience.
Go to Top of Page

NYFlyer
New Recruit

48 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  4:43:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
exactly my point...

quote:
Originally posted by admin

Someone who has an established track record of recruiting/coaching players in D-1 hockey.

Denver -- which just won the national championship -- has former Alaska-Fairbanks head coach Tavis MacMillan on staff as an assistant. Between his time at UAF and DU, he spent 7 years as a scout for Atlanta/Winnipeg.

Go to Top of Page

TW37NE
New Recruit

31 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  7:04:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Definitely. An assistant with a solid record as a recruiter would do nothing but help Coach Gabinet as he establishes his credentials in the NCAA
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2017 :  9:49:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

That helped, I'm sure...but Jim Montgomery spent three years in the USHL (winning two Clark Cups) immediately prior to being hired by Denver. No doubt his familiarity with high school and USHL players gave him a jump on recruiting; he'd spent the last three years scouting and coaching these guys.

Eight years ago, UNO followed up the Blais hire by hiring Mike Hastings as an assistant. If it's true that Trev found money for assistants, perhaps Trev can put a push on for one of those assistants that they interviewed last month.

Go to Top of Page

Bad Man Jose
Clubber Lang's Punching Bag

Luxembourg
1487 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  08:20:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was personally tired of Blais coached teams swooning late in the season, but if you were going to pay Gabinet $250K for a resume full of nothing, we should have paid Blais the $340K and let him walk on his own next year.

---------------
"On the roster, I’m listed as a goalie, so my job is to keep the puck out of the net at whatever cost it may be.” -Ryan Massa
Go to Top of Page

NYFlyer
New Recruit

48 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  09:26:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The best, BEST, part of Gabinet's contract is the performance incentives. "Deliver and thou shalt go to the promised land." Personally, I think all athletes should be paid the same... multiplied by the winning percentage of their team!
Go to Top of Page

swayze
Freshman Mav

73 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  6:42:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bad Man Jose

I was personally tired of Blais coached teams swooning late in the season, but if you were going to pay Gabinet $250K for a resume full of nothing, we should have paid Blais the $340K and let him walk on his own next year.

If they had left Blais in place next season, and if the Mavs had ended up making the NCAA regionals, then they would have had an awfully difficult time dismissing him as head coach.

This way you get the young coach in, with a young team full of Blais recruits, and it gives him a core group of talent for a couple seasons until he settles in.
Go to Top of Page

HockeyNutz
Junior Mav

815 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  8:30:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Smart idea, since they are losing Montgomery
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1619 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  08:22:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Did they ever release a list of candidates they "interviewed"??

other than calling mike Hastings collect (which was a 5 minute phone call) what other names were uncovered during this "national search??"

I'm still waiting my explanation from Lying trev and Lying John Christensen -- hey trev and John -- why don't you come out and admit the truth?? -- gutless cowards....

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

NYFlyer
New Recruit

48 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  09:44:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who cares. We have a coach. Support him or move on. Crying over a subjective "issue" really doesn't serve any purpose. Their schedule looks doable. You never know...
Go to Top of Page

NebFan1
Freshman Mav

134 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2017 :  12:26:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NYFlyer

Who cares. We have a coach. Support him or move on. Crying over a subjective "issue" really doesn't serve any purpose. Their schedule looks doable. You never know...

At this point, I think the more pressing issue is the assistants who get hired, and what Gabinet's actual strategy will be.

Everyone mentions the power play last season, but no one talks about the atrocious defense, which was the reason this team finished in the bottom half of the conference.

Does anyone know who was in charge of defense and the PK unit?

The fact that we lose Snuggerud and Brady won't help the fortunes on the blue line.

Go to Top of Page

NYFlyer
New Recruit

48 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  09:12:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The loss of Brady will save us 1, if not 2 goals against a game. Snuggerud was good offensively, but just average on D. You're right, we need an assistant that can RECRUIT. Unless Gabs has an in with the Junior "A" and Major Junior coaches. Major Juniors get stipends, so are viewed as "paid" and ineligible for NCAA play. But the coaches can give information on potential players out front. Yes, this is the first time I mentioned a players weaknesses but the facts are the facts. If Quinn can get away with crappin' on the program and not get called out, this seems inbounds to me...
Go to Top of Page

Bad Man Jose
Clubber Lang's Punching Bag

Luxembourg
1487 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  11:08:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Broke athletic departments can't afford for their paying customers to "move on" which is why this hire better work

---------------
"On the roster, I’m listed as a goalie, so my job is to keep the puck out of the net at whatever cost it may be.” -Ryan Massa
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  11:24:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Broke athletic departments can't afford for their paying customers to "move on" which is why this hire better work

---------------

fair assessment.

The "love it or leave it" mentality doesn't work here. You can't draw lines in the sand on a small fandom that supports a broke athletic department.
Go to Top of Page

NYFlyer
New Recruit

48 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  11:35:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So even though you disagree with everything, you're staying just to complain? Because the "broke athletic department" doesn't really feel one way or the other about it. "Broke athletic departments" are "broke", so whether or not paying customers move on, they're still broke, right?
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  2:16:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

So even though you disagree with everything, you're staying just to complain? Because the "broke athletic department" doesn't really feel one way or the other about it. "Broke athletic departments" are "broke", so whether or not paying customers move on, they're still broke, right?

This makes zero sense from a logic perspective. I'm having difficulty following the syntax you used, but I think I have an idea of what you are saying. I totally disagree with you.

He had a valid point. You can both love something and vehemently disagree with the direction it's taking. That's why I chimed in and used the "America: love it or leave it" analogy. It's the perspective of some that you either need to be "all in" or "all out". That's a terrible stand to take.

The fact of the matter is UNO can't afford to lose paying customers. Period.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  3:33:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Broke athletic departments can't afford for their paying customers to "move on" which is why this hire better work.

Very true, BMJ.

I think we all agree that the past two seasons left something to be desired, and a change was in order.

I, like many of you, was of the mindset they should have hired a more experienced coach to take the helm at UNO. I don't say that because I am being mean or judgmental. Rather, I say that because I wanted someone proven in the NCAA.

It is possible that Gabinet will turn out to be a terrific head coach, and be here the next 20 years.

I'm hoping it turns out that way, because his success is vital for the program moving forward.

But it was a risky move...
Go to Top of Page

NYFlyer
New Recruit

48 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  09:19:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No use...

My point was that a "broke athletic department" is already out of money, hence "broke". With that said, whether they have any fans left is of no matter based on the fact that they are already broke and have no hope of recovering via use of funds. They have to take the low road and "hope" for the best. Once again, I will say that "hope" is not a strategy. I believe that Gabinet is a risky proposition. I also believe that people respond in situations of stress and either meet the challenge or don't. History and experience can be an indicator of response. I have also seen people thrown into a seemingly impossible situation and they came out on top. Interested in the outcome here. As I said, he has two years. A lot of questions to be answered. As to the Athletic Department... it's a business. They spent a lot of money and the return is weak. The Baxter lost money, that drives the bus. Good money after bad. We can't be surprised unless we say, "yeah! I'll pay more for tickets!". Personally, I think the answers are more complex than a hockey coach. I also think that Trev is trying to find the solution. I don't think much of Kemp, the program has HIS signature on it. Success or Failure has Kemp all over it. So, and I am not saying that it is you, blame Trev all you want, but it's Kemp's show.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1619 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  09:44:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
nmu hires Grant Potulny -- much more upside than gabinet imo...

Gabinet: 6 months of training wheels. if nmu can hire potulny I'm even more disappointed in the gabinet hire.

gabinet -- super cheap with training wheels -- not the coach I want in the NCHC.

what potulny has done:

Potulny has never been a head coach, but has now been an assistant for eight years with the Gophers and also was the assistant on two gold-medal World Junior Championship teams.

Potulny started in 2009-10. Here’s Minnesota’s eight years with Potulny as an assistant:

2009-10: Missed NCAA tournament. Missed Final Five.
2010-11: Missed NCAA tournament. Missed Final Five.
2011-12: Won WCHA. Reached Frozen Four.
2012-13: Won WCHA.
2013-14: Won Big Ten. Reached Frozen Four.
2014-15: Won Big Ten.
2015-16: Won Big Ten. Missed NCAA tournament.
2016-17: Won Big Ten.

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

NYFlyer
New Recruit

48 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  11:01:13 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Didn't see any stats... anyone know the salary? He might have been out of our commission only + a snack salary cap...
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1619 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2017 :  11:45:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ladies and gentleman: New UNO marketing campaign for hockey:

bet season ticket sales are going to drop even more...

Quinn

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000