Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

admin
U!N!O!

10817 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  12:30:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No surprise.

It was basically a "fait accompli" when he was hired April 2016...

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5302 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  12:34:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You misspelled "fail"

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Bad Man Jose
Clubber Lang's Punching Bag

Luxembourg
1486 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  12:44:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey, we're guaranteed to finish in the top 8 of the NCHC next year

---------------
"On the roster, Im listed as a goalie, so my job is to keep the puck out of the net at whatever cost it may be. -Ryan Massa
Go to Top of Page

NebFan1
Freshman Mav

134 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  12:58:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Huh.

They just gave a top D-1 college hockey coaching job to a candidate with 5 months of NCAA coaching experience.

Go to Top of Page

FSUMAV
New Recruit

28 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  1:01:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Press conference at 2 streamed on Facebook
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2301 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  1:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yep. it is as I was told this morning.

UNO has bet the future of the program on the equivalent of a 16 year old driver.
Go to Top of Page

growsales1
All-Star Mav

USA
3032 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  1:24:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty crazy if you want to be among the elite or at least aspire to such... that said, I hate to not at least give the man a chance. It's not his fault he was all they can afford. I am sure he will be a good coach, I just wonder about the ability to recruit the kind of talent needed to succeed at this level in this conference. Time will tell and all we can do is offer as much support as we can and wait and see what happens.

Good luck !

"Release the Hounds!!"
Go to Top of Page

mavhskr
New Recruit

USA
27 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  3:23:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Has anybody had a chance to gauge Quinn's thought on this hire?
Go to Top of Page

swayze
Freshman Mav

73 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  3:32:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YAWN.
Go to Top of Page

Woster
Freshman Mav

Liechtenstein
99 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  3:43:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like Gabi and obviously want him to be succesful, but I am not uber excited about him taking over. Maybe with the money they are saving they will be able to start offering full scholarships. . .

Sig?
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1590 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  5:48:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
told you: cost saving measure -- total crap hire.

fans and players deserve better than this.

bad hire crap hire. you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. UNO is now CC.

look at the baseball team. get ready for a 1-30 season next year.
terrible terrible hire...

ladies and gentlemen: your new coach!

greetings from chicago

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Dundee
New Recruit

33 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  5:53:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I got to know Mike when he was a player for UNO. Very intelligent, driven and outgoing guy. All Canada high school quarterback and great range defenseman. He will relate well to young recruits and players. He can coach. I don't care what league you play in, it is almost impossible to go 36-0 in a year. We already saw that in one year of taking over UNO power play. Mike moved his family here and loves UNO hockey with a passion. It is not just a job and a paycheck for him. It his new life and home year round, not just during the season.

Can he recruit at this level? I have every confidence in Mike. If he feels need for additional USHL connection, then he will get that in one or more of his assistants. On the other hand, his connection to Canadian players may be a bonus avenue for recruiting. Some of you may be too young, but any of you guys remember watching Zanon, Nikoforuk, Brisson, Chalmers, Gabinet and Noel-Bernier? Excellent college players not from USHL but from juniors in Canada that were difference makers for UNO teams
Go to Top of Page

HockeyNutz
Junior Mav

815 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  6:04:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know if it is the right decision but I will get behind it. I do know this:

1. He's is a very good hockey guy. The guy is smart.
2. He's personable and believes deeply in this program
3. He's a competitive person
4. I'm sure he's aware of all the nay-sayers and will work isbootyoff to prove them wrong

I can get behind a guy like that. I said it before. Every great hockey coach got his chance because somebody rolled the dice and gambled on them. In 2009, there were alot of people that thought Hastings wasn't qualified to run this program due to his lack of NCAA experience. Yup, you can probably go back in the archives and find them. I suppose those same people would say that Mankato rolled the dice in 2012, picking up Hastings. Miami gambled on Blasi. How many organizations gambled on Jon Cooper in the last 20 years?

Congratulations Coach Mike Gabinet. I'm pulling for you and you have my support.
Go to Top of Page

ziffy
Freshman Mav

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  7:25:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like to see who he picks to fill his coaching staff, does Mendelson stay, is it an offensive or defensive minded assistant. Wish Mike all the best.

It is easier to criticize, than it is to do. Sit UBU Sit,
Go to Top of Page

ralstonmav
New Recruit

45 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  10:25:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Complain all you want. We will finally a have a team to cheer for in Minneapolis!
Go to Top of Page

swayze
Freshman Mav

73 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2017 :  11:11:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It would probably be wise to avoid making grand proclamations and suggest we are finally going make it to Minneapolis every year, or win a national championship. It might take a few years to build a team into a consistent performer. Maybe the talent is there and it will happen in 2018, maybe it isn't.

In the NCHC, a top 4 finish in the conference basically means you are an at-large NCAA tournament team. That likely won't happen every year, or even every other year, unless you are North Dakota.

Miami's Enrico Blasi was a much better coach in the CCHA because most of the teams were average and beatable. Blasi's record in the NCHC has been 64-72-14. He has only had ONE winning season (out of four) since the RedHawks joined the NCHC, and they went 9-20-7 this season.

(By the way, Dean Blais was 72-65-14 in that same 4 year period, with only ONE losing season - 17-18-2 in 2013-14).

All you people moaning about Blais apparently have no understanding of this sport at the collegiate level, or the seismic shift that took place when realignment happened in 2013. You act like you can make a change and everything will be magically better. I hope you're right. I hope all your dreams come true. The reality is this:

In 8 seasons at UNO, Dean Blais only had 2 losing seasons. He also had 2 tournament appearances and 1 Frozen Four.

Think about that. Let it sink in. And as all you internet experts knock his time at UNO, remember the fact that it was a lot better than people want to give him credit for.
Go to Top of Page

ralstonmav
New Recruit

45 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  12:17:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, you are right swayze. I let it sink in. I am going to cancel my Frozen Faceoff tickets and my 6 season tickets. There is no hope for this program.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1590 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  05:12:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good morning! -- I'm sad that some uno fans are sheep and believe every word that comes from the UNO administration.

It's a bad hire and we all know it!!!
stop sniffing the Trev super glue!

hey chancellor John Christensen hey Trev -- email me and tell me why I should renew my season tickets
email me and tell me why you had to do that fake dog and pony show.
email me and tell me money was a factor -- we all know it. you two Lie Lie Lie!!

email me and tell me one reason I should care about UNO hockey if you two dont!!!!

looks like Colorado College will have increased competition for the bottom spot of the NCHC next season.

the weather in chicago sucks ass -- I'm done.

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2301 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  06:39:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swayze

It would probably be wise to avoid making grand proclamations and suggest we are finally going make it to Minneapolis every year, or win a national championship. It might take a few years to build a team into a consistent performer. Maybe the talent is there and it will happen in 2018, maybe it isn't.

In the NCHC, a top 4 finish in the conference basically means you are an at-large NCAA tournament team. That likely won't happen every year, or even every other year, unless you are North Dakota.

Miami's Enrico Blasi was a much better coach in the CCHA because most of the teams were average and beatable. Blasi's record in the NCHC has been 64-72-14. He has only had ONE winning season (out of four) since the RedHawks joined the NCHC, and they went 9-20-7 this season.

(By the way, Dean Blais was 72-65-14 in that same 4 year period, with only ONE losing season - 17-18-2 in 2013-14).

All you people moaning about Blais apparently have no understanding of this sport at the collegiate level, or the seismic shift that took place when realignment happened in 2013. You act like you can make a change and everything will be magically better. I hope you're right. I hope all your dreams come true. The reality is this:

In 8 seasons at UNO, Dean Blais only had 2 losing seasons. He also had 2 tournament appearances and 1 Frozen Four.

Think about that. Let it sink in. And as all you internet experts knock his time at UNO, remember the fact that it was a lot better than people want to give him credit for.

solid post.
Go to Top of Page

Bad Man Jose

Luxembourg
1486 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  08:18:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ralstonmav

Complain all you want. We will finally a have a team to cheer for in Minneapolis!

The Gophers?

---------------
"On the roster, Im listed as a goalie, so my job is to keep the puck out of the net at whatever cost it may be. -Ryan Massa
Go to Top of Page

Bad Man Jose

Luxembourg
1486 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  08:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by swayze

It's a good thing he had winning records going into February and March, because the O-fer he threw up every year in the playoffs was the reason he resigned/got canned

---------------
Go to Top of Page

NebFan1
Freshman Mav

134 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  08:31:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, who were the other 7 coaches interviewed for this job? Which apparently included 4 head coaches?
Go to Top of Page

gomavericks_student
Sophomore Mav

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  10:12:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you know this is a crap hire. Don't judge too soon. And as far as your cost saving measure thoughts, hold up. $250k is a good salary for a head coach in college hockey.

I'm intrigued by this hire. Either a genius move by Omaha Athletics or epic failure. I will judge in 3 years. GO MAVS!

Read more: http://www.uscho.com/2017/04/05/omaha-chooses-gabinet-to-replace-blais-as-head-coach/#ixzz4dTvL24bP

quote:
Originally posted by Quinn

told you: cost saving measure -- total crap hire.

fans and players deserve better than this.

bad hire crap hire. you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. UNO is now CC.

look at the baseball team. get ready for a 1-30 season next year.
terrible terrible hire...

ladies and gentlemen: your new coach!

greetings from chicago

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

NebFan1
Freshman Mav

134 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  11:22:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gomavericks_student

How do you know this is a crap hire. Don't judge too soon. And as far as your cost saving measure thoughts, hold up. $250k is a good salary for a head coach in college hockey.

250k is okay, but not great. That salary is pretty much par for college hockey coaches these days.

In 2016, Tony Granato was paid $500,000 to be Wisconsin's head hockey coach. Each of his assistants makes $200,000.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/hockey/badgers-men-s-hockey-head-coach-tony-granato-to-make/article_b1885614-04e1-5d6c-a389-3e3f24ce1ec1.html

It's very possible the other candidates interviewed wanted more money and incentives to take the job, including a guarantee and timetable as to if/when UNO was going to offer full cost of attendance scholarships.
Go to Top of Page

Bad Man Jose

Luxembourg
1486 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  12:17:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NebFan1

quote:
Originally posted by gomavericks_student

250k is okay, but not great. That salary is pretty much par for college hockey coaches these days.

In 2016, Tony Granato was paid $500,000 to be Wisconsin's head hockey coach. Each of his assistants makes $200,000.

http://host.madison.com/wsj/sports/college/hockey/badgers-men-s-hockey-head-coach-tony-granato-to-make/article_b1885614-04e1-5d6c-a389-3e3f24ce1ec1.html

It's very possible the other candidates interviewed wanted more money and incentives to take the job, including a guarantee and timetable as to if/when UNO was going to offer full cost of attendance scholarships.

Honestly, if they were going to hire a rookie, I wish they had made the contract more incentive based. Show us what you got before we throw a quarter mil at you. How much was Blais going to make this year that was too costly?

---------------
Go to Top of Page

NebFan1
Freshman Mav

134 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  12:30:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Blais was going to make $270,000 base this year, plus a longevity bonus of $62,500.

So, they were going to have to pay Blais $332,500 if he had stayed another season.

http://www.omaha.com/uno/new-deal-makes-uno-s-blais-one-of-college-hockey/article_07371eb8-cfec-5131-bf92-8f2b77f64009.html
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4098 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  2:39:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Wild?
Go to Top of Page

Bad Man Jose

Luxembourg
1486 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  10:41:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

quote:

The Wild?

They're in St. Paul

---------------
Go to Top of Page

swayze
Freshman Mav

73 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  3:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
He might turn out to be a great coach for UNO. We won't know until we see the results on the ice, and even then we might not get a good idea as to where the program is headed for another two or three seasons.

I'm still trying to figure out the rationale for this hire. Generally speaking, the measure of any new coaching hire is whether or not your peers in the sport -- meaning other teams that you compare your program to -- would hire the same candidate if the opportunity arose. I can't see that happening at this point.

Here are the benefits of the hire we've heard mentioned in the local media the past 48 hours, in no particular order:

+ He lives in Omaha full time.
+ He fits in better at UNO because he's a former player.
+ He understands the Xs and Os of hockey.
+ He's friendly and affable.
+ He went undefeated in his lone season as head coach at NAIT.

One drawback Coach Gabinet himself mentioned in an interview with Gary Sharp on 590 AM was that he is new to NCAA recruiting, and will have to hire an assistant with a greater understanding of that aspect of the game:

https://art19.com/shows/omaha-sports-insider/episodes/0f757f39-e2cd-49b8-9b54-5676b7ba0bf0

Any time a college or university hires a new head coach for a team, it sends a message to the public-at-large about the goals, objectives and direction of the program. I'm trying to figure out what message they are trying to send.

UNO basically hired a candidate who is the polar opposite of Dean Blais when he was hired in 2009.

Is UNO essentially saying that it regrets the Blais-era at UNO, and believes an entirely new approach is needed? Does UNO believe it has progressed so far as a program that it doesn't need a big name to attract the top prep players in Minnesota high school hockey?

You tell me.

It's amazing to see this direction from a program two years removed from a Frozen Four.
Go to Top of Page

montrealmav
Sophomore Mav

Canada
471 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  5:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As mentioned in another post, Rob Facca as one of the assistants. He brings good recruiting experience.

revenge is a meal best served cold
Go to Top of Page

NebFan1
Freshman Mav

134 Posts

Posted - 04/08/2017 :  09:23:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It sounds like Gabinet had an idea that he would be the next head coach when he was hired in 2016:

http://www.omaha.com/uno/blog/tbl-new-uno-hockey-coach-mike-gabinet-ready-to-hit/article_2ef9c150-1bda-11e7-9d56-8bce5d8f6593.html
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000