Mo Valley or Horizon League for UNO?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

admin
U!N!O!

10825 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  09:10:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.omaha.com/sports/shatel-if-when-wichita-state-kicks-off-mid-major-realignment/article_5759bc6e-fdd1-5542-a1b6-b3fbd08ac62b.html

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  11:11:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me, it should be Mo Valley or stay in the Summit. I don't understand the appeal of the Horizon League. Any revenue they'd gain by 1-2 more league home games a year would be eaten up by higher travel costs. They can bus to roughly half the Summit League right now. They would be taking planes to pretty much every Horizon League opponent.

I don't know that any of the Horizon League opponents resonate with people locally. There are at least some that remember the rivalries with North Dakota, NDSU, SDSU, USD. There is a budding NCHC rivalry with Denver that spills into the Summit too. We'd also lose the revenue that comes from NDSU, SDSU, and USD fans coming down for the basketball games. None of these Horizon League teams are going to be travelling to Omaha for these games.

The Mo Valley does resonate with people in Omaha. Drake and Northern Iowa would provide drivable road destinations and natural rivalries. The Mo Valley would be considered an increase in stature as well. A couple of years ago, I would have said that UNO wasn't ready for this increase in stature, but I think they are closer now.

So, to me, it's Mo Valley or stand pat...unless there is a chance the Summit is about to implode. The Horizon would be a slightly more stable destination in that case...but, I'd hate to lose the games against the Dakota schools, personally.
Go to Top of Page

TW37NE
New Recruit

31 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  7:47:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree. My 1st preference would be to stay in the Summit, build ourselves up more in all of the sports, then perhaps look at a move at that time.

If it came down to a choice between the Horizon & the Valley, I'd take the Valley. There's still a good familiarity with their schools from the days when Creighton was a member, & with what I imagine are quite a few grads from those schools around, it could help get more attendance at Baxter & other venues.
Go to Top of Page

krutov 9
All-Star Mav

Russia
2987 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2017 :  9:46:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
old wcha
Go to Top of Page

NebFan1
Freshman Mav

134 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  2:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Horizon makes the most sense.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  2:28:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NebFan1

Horizon makes the most sense.

Why?

I'm just trying to figure out why anyone would think the Horizon League represents a significant upgrade. Shatel talked about additional revenue because they'd have 1-2 more conference home games, but I suspect most of that revenue would be eaten up by more travel costs. You can't bus to any school in the Horizon.

Also, I don't see it as an increase in basketball profile. Both leagues are one bid leagues. According to CBS Sports the Horizon was ranked 17th this year and the Summit was 18th.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/bracketology/conference

The only nod I'll give the Horizon is it's possibly a more stable league and more protected from expansion. If UNO is catching wind the Summit is about to be raided and 3-4 schools may be leaving, it's time to go. The Summit is geographically challenged in that it doesn't have a deep pool of quality schools to backfill from if anyone leaves. UMKC and maybe Northern Colorado would be about it at this point.

Still, I say the Mo Valley is easily the better choice if UNO has to leave...assuming they would have interest.
Go to Top of Page

NebFan1
Freshman Mav

134 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2017 :  2:57:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally get what you're saying. Makes sense. But I would argue it is a better basketball conference, and has definitely had more success in the NCAA tournament the past 20 years.

UNO is an urban/metropolitan campus in a conference where the Dakota schools continue to gain more influence.

Despite travel costs and championships held in faraway places like Detroit, the composition of member schools is likely a better fit. Serving urban/metropolitan students is a different mission than a lot of Summit schools. I've read that Denver University has been pursued by the Horizon League for awhile. IPFW and IUPUI would likely fit better in the Horizon League.

They also have a deal to air games on ESPN, and with Sinclair Broadcasting (which owns KPTM and KXVO in Omaha) on American Sports Network.

Consider the fact that Butler, Marquette, and Dayton used to be in the conference.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  12:21:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The American Sports Network is struggling, and reports suggest it could be folding. That's bad news since ASN carried a few UNO hockey games last season on KPTM.

If UNO somehow was able to snag an invite to the Valley, I'd suggest making a run at it. But the Horizon League? No. Closest schools are Illinois-Chicago and Wisconsin-Milwaukee; most are eastern time zone schools. Better to stick in the Summit with the Dakotas

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  1:02:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the money is better in the Valley and they are keeping their TV deal with Fox Sports Midwest (I have no idea if they say much or even any money from it), they should look at it.

I would still lean towards staying in the Summitt providing no one else in the Summit leaves. UNO at least has some history with those schools (something due to being in 3 different conferences they do not have in hockey). Plus the conference basketball tourney is only 3 hours away.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

NebFan1
Freshman Mav

134 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2017 :  10:41:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would take into account UNO wanting to have non-hockey athletics in a conference with schools that have similar athletic budgets.

Horizon makes no sense geographically, but the budgets and coaching salaries would be more in line with what UNO wants to spend.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2017 :  11:46:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Horizon would be the worst fit for UNO.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2017 :  3:41:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One point that I read on another forum, a USD Coyotes message board, is that even the lowest funded MVC school pumps multiple times what UNO spends on basketball into their programs. UNO would be way behind in basketball attendance as well. From a resources standpoint, I'm not sure UNO fits the profile of the other MVC schools right now. They may in the future; however, as the other message board said, a move to the MVC right now, where the basketball program is right now, might almost bankrupt UNO. They'd get a bump from the tv deal, but I'm not sure that would be enough.

Lots to think about.
Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2017 :  11:34:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think UMKC might be a strong contender for the MVC.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2017 :  2:32:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
UMKC bolted for the WAC primarily because they thought they couldn't compete in the Summit from what I heard at the time. I don't believe that their commitment to athletics has grown much since the move. I don't think they would be a good fit for the Valley. I can't imagine their budget is in line with the rest of what the MVC spends. I also can't imagine they would want to up their budget. They are so far off the radar in the KC sports scene, they would not deliver the KC market to the MVC. It's Chiefs, Royals, Jayhawks, MIZZOU, Wildcats, and even Sporting KC all ahead of the Roos in the pecking order. I had a UMKC graduate that I used to work with describe that school as an academic side that tolerates and athletic department. They don't have good facilities. The MVC learned that adding a school like Loyola-Chicago didn't really add the Chicago market.

UMKC has made statements that they'd like to be in the MVC...but, I just don't think they are equipped to do it. UNO would be a better fit than UMKC. They have better facilities and would probably deliver the Omaha market more than UMKC would deliver KC to that league.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1618 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2017 :  1:25:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rumors of UNO going to the missouri valley can end now. UNO can't afford it..

as an aside my office is starting to smell since my trashcan is overflowing now.....

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Greg S
All-Star Mav

4101 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  08:38:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it today that the MVC is coming to Omaha? Will be interesting to see if they add 1 or 3 teams. I still prefer Summitt.

Greg
Go to Top of Page

gomavericks_student
Sophomore Mav

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 04/26/2017 :  10:17:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Greg S

Is it today that the MVC is coming to Omaha? Will be interesting to see if they add 1 or 3 teams. I still prefer Summitt.

Greg

Yes sir it is. http://www.omaha.com/uno/report-missouri-valley-conference-to-visit-uno-as-potential-expansion/article_d9848b66-2a10-11e7-ac1a-d388a457169d.html
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/27/2017 :  1:08:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, reading between the lines, UNO can't afford a qualified chancellor candidate...but, athletics could still be looking at making a conference move that would require the school to further increase the athletic budget?

That would be a hard sell to the public int his climate.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 04/28/2017 :  10:59:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think the Valley also increases the revenue for UNO: better opponents draws better crowds, and a better TV deal brings better revenue.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 04/29/2017 :  06:52:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by West O Mike

I think the Valley also increases the revenue for UNO: better opponents draws better crowds, and a better TV deal brings better revenue.

It would be interesting to see if it really delivered better crowds. Without WSU in the league, it's debatable if the opponents are significantly better. as a whole, the league is a bit better, but there aren't really that many big names left in the league.

And, UNO would lose out on getting SDSU, USD, and NDSU fans that travel well every year.

The TV contract would help though if UNO would even be cut in on the current deal (like NU had to wait in the B1G.)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000