Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  1:06:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
...be careful what you wish for...

UNO needs to be very careful with this hire.

http://www.omaha.com/uno/hockey/dean-blais-steps-down-as-uno-hockey-coach/article_771e7314-08dd-11e7-ae41-8f22eefae827.html

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  1:08:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, UNO... You've got the biggest choice to make in front of you.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1620 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  1:15:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw some UNO representatives hanging around the Henry Doorly Zoo -- they are screening some applicants currently...

my money is on trained monkey, but I'm sure they are also looking at the lions as well...

thanks coach blais -- it was a joy to have you coach. you will be missed.

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  1:19:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had the opportunity to interact with Dean and his wife Jackie on a number of occasions.

Great couple.

Dean did a lot for UNO Hockey.
Go to Top of Page

BN1
Sophomore Mav

311 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  1:29:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
World Herald summed up many of my pros and cons of his 8 years.

He brought credibility and higher expectations. But didn't connect with fans and didn't recruit very hard. To me, it never felt like he was all in.

It's a good school in a great conference with great facilities. I think you can find a better all around person to lead the program and you don't have to pay "Dean" money to get them.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  1:38:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
To me, the big question is "who" they hire.

It better be someone worth his salt.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1620 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  1:42:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
To me, the big question is "who" they hire

bet the house on gabinet or a trained monkey. outside chance they hire a lion or a gazelle. UNO is scouring the zoo as I type..

it's UNO. they got no money == horrible decision....

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Puckhead_kev
New Recruit

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  1:56:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I am hoping for the best as everyone involves a solid coach and I hope whoever it is can recruit. The term "expedited process" scares me... I love that Gabinet is back but is he ready to take over and bring top recruits here?
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  2:05:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Puckhead_kev

I am hoping for the best as everyone involves a solid coach and I hope whoever it is can recruit. The term "expedited process" scares me... I love that Gabinet is back but is he ready to take over and bring top recruits here?

That's the key question, Kevin.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1620 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  2:14:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I am hoping for the best as everyone involves a solid coach and I hope whoever it is can recruit.

Let me spell it out: Uno has a ban on recruiting trips -- no money no traveling to recruit.

let me repeat: no money. no money no money...

look at herold and Klosterman -- out for bugetary reasons.

UNO is going to the scratch and dent isle at the bag and save or possibly a homeless shelter for their next coach.

it's gabinet. he comes cheap!

those outside the university system don't quite get it... let me repeat it for those of you that are slow: no money.....

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Puckhead_kev
New Recruit

USA
22 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  2:14:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Man I am the typo king....
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  2:29:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On our Twitter account, we have comments from the Dean Blais press conference (happening now):

www.twitter.com/mavpuck
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1620 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  2:46:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
twitter is for young people that can't interact with humanity

I will definitely miss blais -- a dying breed along with red and jerry..

would like other people still hanging around the message board aka the old folks... to hear their opinions.

again: herold and Klosterman -- out for budgetary reasons
travel ban on recruiting.

that's bull crap that they are going to do a "national search" how? with what money?

guarantee UNO admin said to Blais please retire so we don't have to pay you...

I wish uno would hire someone other than gabinet, but that's your head coach..

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

FSUMAV
New Recruit

28 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  2:48:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.collegehockeynews.com/news/2017/03/14_Blais-Steps-Down-as-UNO-Coach.php

This article on college hockey news reports that Blais offered to take a reduction in pay in order to fund the full cost of attendance for the players, but was denied.
Go to Top of Page

NebFan1
Freshman Mav

134 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  2:55:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As a long time Lancer season ticket holder I can safely say they should hire Mike Hastings if they want to get to the NCAAs every year. They probably won't, but they should.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  3:16:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Quinn

quote:
I am hoping for the best as everyone involves a solid coach and I hope whoever it is can recruit.

Let me spell it out: Uno has a ban on recruiting trips -- no money no traveling to recruit.

let me repeat: no money. no money no money...

look at herold and Klosterman -- out for bugetary reasons.

UNO is going to the scratch and dent isle at the bag and save or possibly a homeless shelter for their next coach.

it's gabinet. he comes cheap!

those outside the university system don't quite get it... let me repeat it for those of you that are slow: no money.....

Quinn

This. So much this.

UNO is broke. Any lip service paid to doing a national search or "getting the best candidate" is just talk. They will take the cheapest candidate (i.e. Gabinet) unless another, bigger name, is willing to take bargain basement money to take the job. Unlikely, considering the restrictions they will face in terms of resources. This job is going to be an uphill battle in recruiting for some time.

I'm willing to give it some time, but if UNO hockey regresses to single digit win seasons due to a coach with lack of experience, no recruiting budget, and no full cost of attendance scholarships, I will have to consider whether or not to continue my season tickets.

We've already seen what Trev's follies have done to the baseball program which is now sitting at 1-14. I'm not going to pay good money for those kinds of results in hockey.

I shudder to think what we'll get when Darren Hansen's time comes. We've already seen what losing an underrated coach like Bob Herold can due to a struggling program.
Go to Top of Page

NebFan1
Freshman Mav

134 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  3:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gabinet might do well, but the financial solubility of Baxter Arena and UNO Athletics is too important to immediately promote an assistant with 1 year of NCAA coaching experience. The stakes are too high to be cavalier about this pick.

In 2009 they conducted a national search and it brought UNO a Frozen Four appearance and a new arena.

Don't mess this up. That much, at least, is owed to the big money boosters who have propped up this program for 20 years.
Go to Top of Page

Bad Man Jose
Clubber Lang's Punching Bag

Luxembourg
1487 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  3:40:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cary Eades, current head coach of the Fargo Force

Resume:
230-130-28 as a head coach in the USHL
Clark Cup Champions in 2015
Clark Cup Playoff appearances in 4 consecutive years (likely 5 this year)
Former Assistant at UNDx2

---------------
"On the roster, Im listed as a goalie, so my job is to keep the puck out of the net at whatever cost it may be. -Ryan Massa
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  4:27:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The problem is that UNO athletics reminds me of a failing business run by leaders who have no clue how to stem the tide other than cutting budgets any way possible and selling off assets (in this case coaches). This mentality is doomed to failure.

It's like a doctor continuing to cut of body parts off of a diseased patient, rather than actually trying to correctly diagnose and find a cure for the disease itself.

There is no creativity in this leadership. As a season ticket holder, the only time I ever hear anything from UNO athletics is when they want my season ticket money or they want a donation to the One Fund. After almost 8 years of the current leadership, the marketing arm of the athletic department still operates with a D-II mentality. There are no perks to being a ticketholder. There are no discounts on tickets to other sports. There are no discounts on merchandise. There are no exclusive events for season ticket holders (unless you donate an outrageous amount of money to the One Fund).

To fix the budget deficits that UNO faces, the athletic department needs bold and creative leadership. I don't believe Trev Alberts has these tools in his toolbox. He needs to be playing chess...he's playing checkers and hasn't shown the capacity for much beyond that.

It's time for a change at the top. I would not let him make another coaching hire in any sport let alone the flagship sport for the entire university.
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1620 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  5:11:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Pretty funny to listen to trev #alternativefacts!

Trev can pretend all he wants and have a dog and pony show, but he will give gabinet the job because he will be the cheapest available.

as an aside: the university is so broke that we will no longer have trash emptied. we have to empty it ourselves -- true story....

the university is going to do this as cheap as possible -- those of you that think otherwise are sniffing glue.

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

Ralph Monroe
New Recruit

Guinea
16 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  6:59:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
2 names we can get for thew cheeeep.
That Walt Kyle guy is looking around for something.

Also, some past Maverick assitants are doing well abroad. Abored.

Steve Rohlik is doing good at OSU. $$$
David Quinn is 82-52 over 4 seasons at BU. $$$$

Doc Delcastillo was 3-41-6 at Hamline in St. Paul. $

There is your guy on the cheeeeep.

Go to Top of Page

swayze
Freshman Mav

73 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  8:06:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you don't hire a coach who has spent years making inroads in the youth/high school/junior ranks, you are in for a world of hurt in the NCHC. This program can't regress and start recruiting players like Dan Swanson, Rich Purslow, J.J. Koehler and Jeremie Dupont again.

This program went thru a 3 season period before Blais was hired that had ZERO NHL talent on it, and short/undersized players that weren't able to matchup with Michigan and Michigan State in the CCHA. That isn't a world we want to go back to as a program.
Go to Top of Page

jlynch
Freshman Mav

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  8:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quinn, where do you work in the NU system?
Go to Top of Page

Quinn
Senior Mav

Uzbekistan
1620 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  8:25:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I work at UNMC so I'm privy to all the internal memos about the budget and the like. they are projecting 350 jobs being eliminated at UNMC alone so I'm not playing when I say the university is broke as a joke...

if I were to hire the next head coach here is a dark horse candidate -- dave noel bernier.

smart money is on gabinet

for those who are wondering about recruiting -- there won't be any -- ban on travel. my boss can't even go anywhere...

let me break it down again for those that are mentally challenged:

no money no money no money..
Trev is lying through his teeth...

Quinn

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  9:43:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can it possibly be true that a university travel ban could actually extend to athletic coaches? Honestly, I would have a hard time even fathoming that. Are you sure about this? I get that things are dire, but typically something like that would not extend to coaches where travel for recruiting is essential.

I've worked for companies that have had to institute travel bans due to budgetary reasons, but that has never extended to our sales force, just the home office employees. No matter how bad things get, a company knows there are some positions that simply have to travel or the organization is dead in the water. Are we sure that's not the case here?

If there is any truth in a travel ban that extends to athletic coaches, we may as well start calling our athletic director Baghdad Trev when he suggests that there is money available for a top flight coaching hire.
Go to Top of Page

swayze
Freshman Mav

73 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  9:49:13 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure they can recruit.

I'm more interested in knowing whether there will be any decommits, and whether that results in 21-year-old freshmen again.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/14/2017 :  9:55:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Quinn: On the other hand, nothing would shock me considering how dire the situation is. I majored in broadcasting at UNO. Almost all of the employees at UNO TV have lost their jobs. They cut over 100 years of experience in about half a dozen employees in that area, all of them really good people. Students will no longer have the opportunity to work in a working tv station on campus. That's just one small sliver of what's happening on campus. I'm sure every area has similar stories.

So, nothing really would shock me at this point.
Go to Top of Page

NebFan1
Freshman Mav

134 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  08:10:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The state will eventually tax something new and the budget crisis will go away. We see that happen all the time. It won't last forever. A lot of noise will be made until someone opens the purse strings in a year or two.

The coaching situation has the potential to impact the hockey team for the next decade. Whoever is hired will get a 3-4 year contract. They will recruit players who will shape this team the next 7-10 years. This is a really important decision that will signal the direction of UNO sports and what the mindset is for years to come.

I can't possibly know what the mindset is going in. I just know that hockey in Omaha needs a shot in the arm. After the departure of Hastings at the Lancers, and the demise of Bliss Littler, the organization decided to hire a no-name coach in Brian Kaufman, whose previous experience had been that of a graduate assistant at Miami (OH).

It really hasn't worked so far, and the Lancers have fallen to new levels irrelevance not seen in the franchise's history.

The reason I mentioned Hastings earlier is because he has won every place he's been. He might not be perfect, but he has made MSU-Mankato relevant again, something that didn't seem possible after the conference fell apart in 2013. Not only that, he is well respected among the hockey community in Omaha. He would make sense.

There are other good candidates out there. I hope for the sake of the stability of the sport in the city and state that they go out and interview a number of candidates and find the vision best suited to the future of the team.
Go to Top of Page

Hat-Trick
Freshman Mav

103 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  08:47:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One thing Blais said that rang true - he did raise expectations within the fan base.

For those of us hoping for a hire other than Gabby, I think what Quinn is trying to say, in case you're still not following, is this:

Wish in one hand, defecate in the other. See which one gets full first.

The next chapter in the 20 year story that is UNO hockey looks ominous and doesn't smell good.

Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  10:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Gary Sharp said on 1620 this morning that coaches are allowed to go on the road to recruit.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10827 Posts

Posted - 03/15/2017 :  10:20:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In my mind, the key question for everyone to consider is this:

What Are The Expectations For UNO Hockey Going Forward?

When you figure that out, you'll figure out who the next head coach should be....
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000