UND to the Summit League
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TW37NE
New Recruit

31 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  8:16:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Word is North Dakota is leaving the Big Sky Conference to join the SUmmit League in 2018 fr all sports except football. Thoughts?

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2017 :  9:53:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
good move for the Summit League, IMO. Too bad they dropped baseball. The Summit really needs more teams to add to the league in that sport.
Go to Top of Page

BN1
Sophomore Mav

311 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  2:11:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rumor that the horizon league is interested in inviting UNO to join for all sports except hockey.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2017 :  4:26:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've heard that rumor for a couple of years now. I don't know anything about the Horizon League's media deals, but unless it would amount to a windfall of cash, I see no reason to do it. I would assume the travel costs would be somewhat higher in the Horizon League as every trip would be a plane trip. Currently, I'm sure travel to North Dakota may be somewhat cumbersome, but travel to Denver is cheap, the South Dakota schools are drivable. IUPUI and IPFW are certainly plane trips. Not sure about Western or Oral Roberts.

UNO has also just begun to develop meaningful rivalries with schools like Denver. The Summit rekindled rivalries with South Dakota, NDSU, and SDSU. And, having NoDak joining the league will only help that rivalry. There is nothing about seeing Wright St., Cleveland St., etc. that would move the needle here more than the Summit already does. If anything, UNO would lose attendance as SDSU, NDSU, and South Dakota lose easy trips to Omaha.

Again, unless this means more money for the athletic department, I see the Summit and Horizon as about the same scenario. The only league that might move the needle more in Omaha is if UNO got an invite to the Missouri Valley. That may be years off, but that would be the only league I would immediately suggest UNO jump to move into.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000