Bob Herold Out As UNO Baseball Coach
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  2:46:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was blindsided by this. On the surface, this seems like an extremely poor decision. Herold has been the most successful coach at UNO during the D-I transition. The baseball team is the first to win a D-I conference title. They have done this in a facility that high school players laugh at.

If this is about wins and losses, I'd say UNO made an incredible mistake. But, it can't be that. It just can't. I'm hoping there's no scandal...but, I could see Herold being upset if there has been yet another delay in the baseball facility...and having to use Werner in the interim. He had been promised a new facility for almost 20 years.

Unless there is another story here, something potentially embarrassing to the university, I feel like this does not bode well for the state of UNO athletics. Are there financial issues looming again?

FSUMAV
New Recruit

28 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  4:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First thing I thought was "budget issues". But when I mulled it over a bit, it didn't make a lot of sense from this angle. We are pretty much in the middle of July so I think the budget is pretty set and the majority of the Baxter finances are in. This story broke early Monday morning and the interim coach is playing overseas in Sweden right now. I would think it points to something else.

That said, I hope Trev and Christensen are as transparent as they are legally able to do on this one. As stated above, Herold is one of the most successful coaches at UNO pre and post D1 move. This is at the end of a summer that saw the removal of the Baxter general arena manager and 2 subordinates in addition to the retirement of an extraordinarily successful softball coach. I don't have any real contempt for Trev or Christensen, but they also don't get my benefit of the doubt due to their past missteps.
Go to Top of Page

admin
U!N!O!

10826 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  9:06:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Altercation with a player on the team bus...

...a shame because he is a well-respected coach.

http://m.ketv.com/sports/uno-mavericks-head-coach-fired/40455508?ens=1&utm_campaign=Local++Alerts++_54b048050cf2bed140221111_oma&utm_content=20160711_1824&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Local+Breaking+News
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  9:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Frankly, that simply doesn't add up. If it was really about this bus altercation (which players are disputing the severity of), why would you have let him finish the season? Why wouldn't you have fired him right after the last game at the latest? Why wait almost 2 months after the season. There is no way this is the whole story.
Go to Top of Page

FSUMAV
New Recruit

28 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2016 :  10:11:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed. From what it seems now is that someone or something forced UNO's hand to act in this particular way.

Might not be a fair comparison, but I am reminded about the whole Matt White and 2 other players making racist statements in the old market area incident. Apparently, Dean and UNO had no idea until the media released it. Once that happened, they acted fast.

I also find it curious that KETV of all places was the first to publish the supposed, or at least contributing, reason for Herold's dismissal. I figured the World Herald would have been all over that.
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2016 :  12:36:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Several players have come to Herolds defense downplaying the incident as minor. Herold himself has said he was caught off guard. This is just an odd turn of events and there has to be something more to this.

http://www.omaha.com/uno/baseball/after-seasons-firing-catches-uno-baseball-coach-bob-herold-by/article_b55eec56-4783-11e6-8ad6-738281fcae8a.html

If this is about an incident that most are portraying as minor, I'm going to be disappointed. Hopefully, more will come out through the grapevine.

I mean, look at all of the incidents with players that baboon of a former football coach got away with in Lincoln. Several of which were captured on national tv. Or, his even less evolved brother that punched someone on the sideline and kept his job (until he started putting body parts where they didn't belong).

It just doesn't make sense.
Go to Top of Page

West O Mike
All-Star Mav

Christmas Island
5308 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  07:07:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Who knows when word of the altercation reached Trev or somebody outside of the baseball program?

One thing is clear: Alberts is purposely not trying to disturb the baseball program any more than is necessary. With the CWS ending just a couple of weeks ago, he could have easily gone out on the market for a new coach. Instead, he promoted Evan Porter to interim head coach - and indicated Porter will coach the team next season. Even though Porter is overseas right now, and will be the rest of the summer.

Blog: http://huskermike.blogspot.com
Go to Top of Page

nousefouraname
All-Star Mav

2307 Posts

Posted - 07/14/2016 :  12:31:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would argue that if word of the incident didn't reach Trev until at least a month after the season ended, one would certainly have to question the severity of it. I would think if something happened in front of the entire team that falls into the realm of a firable offense, it would reach the athletic director quickly. Considering it was a team bus to a road game, there likely would have been other athletic administration people on the bus including sports information people, etc.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MP Message Board © 2000-2017 MavPuck.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000